Start by marking “RedDevil 4” as Want to Read:

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  78 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
RedDevil 4 is spine-tingling techno-thriller based on cutting edge research from surgeon and inventor Eric C. Leuthardt.

Renowned neurosurgeon Dr. Hagan Maerici is on the verge of a breakthrough in artificial intelligence that could change the way we think about human consciousness. Obsessed with his job and struggling to save his marriage, Dr. Maerici is forced to put his
Published February 4th 2014 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about RedDevil 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about RedDevil 4

Shaun Duke
Jun 22, 2014 Shaun Duke rated it did not like it
I didn't come to this novel with many expectations. The cover description didn't exactly entice me, but I figured I could give it a shot to surprise me. And surprise me it did. This is by far my least favorite read of 2014 thus far, though the Hugo Award packet may offer a few surprises in the near future. From the first chapter, I knew I would hate this book, and by page 100, I gave up because it showed no signs of improving. If there's one good thing to say about having picked up RedDevil 4, i ...more
D.J. Weaver
Jun 12, 2014 D.J. Weaver rated it it was amazing
Imagine a world where people are connected wirelessly to everything… from the internet to their homes, cars, jobs… each other. Set in the near-future, this sci-fi thriller will rock you to your core.

Neuroprosthetics… a simple chip implanted in the brain and the user is connected to everything and everybody. Thoughts become actions, people can live in a completely artificial environment… a virtual reality of life, and the drug of choice is a class of neuro-stimulating computer codes that could be
Tom Donaghey
Feb 16, 2014 Tom Donaghey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
A word of caution: I like the Hard type of Science Fiction and so I did enjoy this book immensely. If you do not know what Hard Science Fiction is, you might want to go look it up and perhaps stay away from this book. For the rest of you, please welcome in an exciting new author to the field and pray that he is not a one shot Johnny. But if he is, well, what a shot.
RED DEVIL 4 is set in St. Louis about 40 years into the future. Forget about PCs and telephones, now you are connected to everythi
Fran
Mar 17, 2014 Fran rated it it was amazing
Red Devil 4: Dr. Eric Leuhardt

Think about it: A few electrodes implanted in your brain and you're connected wirelessly not merely to a computer system, but to the Internet, to your car, to your home--to other people. Thoughts become actions as you literally move through information as if it were a physical environment. But what about the dark side? Could your brain be hacked? Could a class of neuron-stimulating computer codes become the heroin or meth of tomorrow? And what about people who opt o
???!!!
Jun 14, 2014 ???!!! rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, 2014
After reading many disappointed books I've decided there's simply not enough time with so many books to read. So I usually give each book at least 100 pages before turning it down. I'm fortunate that by the time I got to 92 page the story finally turned to fast mode I finished the book within a day. Not many books do that to me.

Sci-Fi is usually not my genre. My last memorable sci-fi books were Prey and Digital Fortress which I read a long time ago and loved. This book certainly rank among them.
Greg Grasso
Apr 17, 2014 Greg Grasso rated it it was amazing
Science Fiction is Considered Science Fact

I have a radio program and what I do is interview authors.

Red Devil 4 packs as much punch as any other fiction novel currently on the market. It is filled with plausible plots, focused on the concept of technology and mankind interfacing (brain implants) human consciousness and micro technology (computers).

Eric Leuthardt is a highly respected and notable neurosurgeon and biomedical engineer in modern history. This man is ranked as one of the most proli
Kathy Martin
Mar 16, 2014 Kathy Martin rated it really liked it
REDDEVIL 4 was an engaging science fiction thriller. It is 2053 and cell phones are obsolete. Everyone has a neuroprosthetic implant that connects people and allows them to access all manner of data. But that doesn't stop crime. Edwin Krantz and his partner Tara Dezner are called in on a case where multi-billionaire Dr. Marcus Devron has apparently killed his maid of 40 years in a particularly gruesome manner. Since Dr. Devron is also in medical distress, he is taken to the hospital.

Dr. Hagan Ma
Debbie
Mar 17, 2014 Debbie rated it it was ok
RedDevil 4 was a cautionary tale about what can go wrong when you let technology take over. I was most impressed with the detail and clarity that the author provided for driving around St. Louis in the central corridor near Forest Park.

The basics for the book showcase how different people adapt to technology and how they fall all across the spectrum. Many people in this future year now have neuroprosthetics implanted in their brains and Dr. Maerici, the main character for all purposes, is at the
Stephen
Mar 21, 2014 Stephen rated it really liked it
Science & murders in the latter half of the 21st century. A book that mixes the new sciences with the old crimes of murder .It is 2053 and scientists have learned how to embed electronic devices in humans that allow you to accomplish certain tasks without really doing them. It has become the age of artificial intelligence or AI ! You are able to mentally call up images of those you want to converse with and see them as a 'globe' in front of your eyes. Your car drives itself and if you desir ...more
Patrick Hayes
Mar 14, 2014 Patrick Hayes rated it liked it
An interesting debut novel I was sent to review. I thought the characters were fun and the timeline, taking place just under three days, was a sensational way to create tension. Author Leuthardt expertly brings readers up to speed with the science of the book without belittling them.

The final confrontation that begins outside a mansion got a little too comic booky for me. Additionally, the final two pages of the book are completely unnecessary and explain for those too dense to understand the m
Mike Schneider
May 30, 2014 Mike Schneider rated it really liked it
This is a novel about a neuroscientist working on artificial intelligence and human brain/computer interactions written by a neuroscientist who works on artificial intelligence and human brain/computer interactions. As one might expect, this is pretty "heady" stuff. Add to this the author's penchant for utilizing seldom-used vocabulary and lots of medical terminology and one is frequently challenged just to figure out what the author is describing.

Despite all of that, this is a captivating story
Melissa
Feb 05, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing
I very much enjoyed this book. If you enjoy thriller books that will keep you thinking I definitely recommend checking this one out. The chapters are short, and excitement is constant, so it easily kept me engaged. I was surprised by a couple of the other reviewers comments, I personally loved the way the mystery unfolds in pieces, and I didn't have a problem following the characters as you gradually learn more about them as the story builds.

The future technology that the author bases the book
Marcha Fox
Jul 30, 2014 Marcha Fox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
RedDevil 4
First and foremost, Red Devil 4 is an excellent medical science fiction thriller rich with convincing detail. Clearly the author knows what he’s talking about and didn’t simply “read a book once” about the workings of the human brain. The characters are well-drawn, convincing and easily visualized, their behavior well-motivated and consistent. Suspense was in the “nail-biting” range, the ending impossible to predict yet ultimately satisfying.

The cautionary tale element is clear as man
Michael Roberts
Apr 03, 2014 Michael Roberts rated it it was amazing
What a great look at the future direction of technology! Think about all the possibilities as you read Red Devil 4. A gripping, fast paced, eye opening read that leaves you wondering how far we really want our bodies and technology to merge.
You read in the papers today about the direction we are heading and now Red Devil 4 shows you the potential -- the good and bad. All exposed in a fabulous, well written read by a Dr who works in the brain daily and lets you in on a world just beginning to unf
Becky
Nov 03, 2014 Becky rated it really liked it
In the year 2053 technological advancements have made vast and wondrous strides. Neuroprosthetic implants allow for instant contact and up-to-date access to news and information, medical advancements mean almost instantaneous diagnoses, and one scientist has almost succeeded in creating artificial intelligence. But some do not see this as advancement. Some believe this new world is an abomination. Religious leaders prompt followers into very public and sometimes violent protest while the other s ...more
Lisa Roberts
Apr 03, 2014 Lisa Roberts rated it it was amazing
The last time I read a book like this was in high school, Orwell's 1984 - and in many ways life certainly has imitated art. Could Red Devil 4 be giving us a glimpse in to what humanity will become in 2053 and beyond? How far will our obsession and drive for more technology takes us, and at what cost? After reading Red Devil 4 you may be wanting a time machine to take you back to 1984, when cell phones were as big as a car battery and life was a lot less scary.
Normalene
May 04, 2014 Normalene rated it liked it
This is a book about a game virus and a fledgling AI that meet and have conflict. The supporting characters are all people who interact with the two entities and are either part of the problem or trying to solve it. The character development takes forever to get off the ground and by page 100, I’m still having trouble with the plot which has not yet developed enough to keep my interest. I’m not sure if it is because of the short chapters that don’t allow a lot of character or plot development or ...more
Rachel
Jan 25, 2014 Rachel rated it it was ok
Shelves: firstreads, 2014
I received this book from the goodreads first reads program. The premise for the story is great. It is almost a cautionary tale such as Orwell's "1984". However the layout of the story left me confused. It jumps from one narrator to another every few pages and doesn't always identify the narrator. Sometimes one narrator will be called by two different names is as many pages. I was excited to read this story, but found myself defeated by the disorganized chaos of it all.
Nick Lovell
Oct 07, 2015 Nick Lovell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome!

Always looking for new books that are this exciting, and really dive into the science of how their inner worlds work. This was a great sci fi thriller, which had some genuinely new things to say when contemplating bridging the gap between minds and computers. My favorite book I've read this year!
April Taylor
May 12, 2016 April Taylor rated it liked it
This book has a fascinating premise, and it came close to brilliance a few times. However, the segmented writing style, which often included chapters of only one to two pages long, made it less enjoyable than it could have been. Typos and repetitious word choices also diminished my reading experience. Overall, I'm glad I stuck with this book, but I wouldn't read it again.
Glen
Jan 27, 2014 Glen rated it it was ok
I received this book from a goodreads firstreads drawing.

A science fictional medical thriller about a series of murders committed by seemingly unconnected perpetrators.

Not a mystery with much of a puzzle. The science fiction elements are for the most part well done, and interesting, but the book never really flows like it should. Every time it seems to be going somewhere it loses momentum. I blame the shifting point of view format, which can be very effective, but is also tough to master.
Lisa
Mar 22, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it
St. Louis author. Recommended by Jack Bader. Not bad. Kind of gruesome for my tastes. Interesting premise on neuroprosthetics and quantum computing. Quantum entanglement with the human brain? Hmmm.
Linda Klages
Feb 08, 2014 Linda Klages rated it really liked it
Shelves: victoriag1
This was a Goodreads book win. I thought it was an easy read, thought provoking and I liked the ending.
Gaye
Mar 17, 2014 Gaye added it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I can handle violence but here it just seemed senseless and got in the way of the story.
Scott
Jul 22, 2016 Scott rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
I understand why people like this, but it is a complete disconnect with my vision.
Rick F.
Apr 27, 2014 Rick F. rated it it was amazing
Fascinating and terrifying. Amazing read
Lynn
Mar 03, 2014 Lynn rated it did not like it
Shelves: good-read-wins
Well I tried to read this book 3 times and I seemed to get lost. Sorry sir I'm afraid it was just not up my alley. I have passed it on to my Brother-in-law who was looking forward to reading it.
Js3698
Aug 11, 2014 Js3698 rated it it was ok
Did not like this one. Too gross and not interesting enough to finish.
Rich Willson
Rich Willson marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
  • Mappa Mundi
  • The Red Velvet Turnshoe (An Abbess of Meaux Mystery, #2)
  • Mad Skills
  • The Bones of Time
  • The Shadow Year
  • Love Has Forgotten No One: The Answer to Life
  • The Devil in Her Way: A Novel
  • Death Money (A Detective Jack Yu Investigation #4)
  • Red Ant House: Stories
  • Red Earth, White Earth
  • The Scarlet Stockings
  • KOP (Juno Mozambe Mystery #1)
  • The Red Thread