Start by marking “Like a Mighty Army (Safehold, #7)” as Want to Read:
Like a Mighty Army (Safehold, #7)

Like a Mighty Army (Safehold #7)

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  3,203 Ratings  ·  230 Reviews
For centuries, the world of Safehold, last redoubt of the human race, lay under the unchallenged rule of the Church of God Awaiting. The Church permitted nothing new-no new inventions, no new understandings of the world.

What no one knew was that the Church was an elaborate fraud--a high-tech system established by a rebel faction of Safehold's founders, meant to keep humani
Published February 18th 2014 by Tor Books (first published January 14th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Like a Mighty Army, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Like a Mighty Army

Synobal
Feb 27, 2014 Synobal rated it liked it
At this point I'm reading to see "How stuff happened" and not what is going to happen or who is going to win. Because the tension in the story just isn't there. It's good stuff and people who have made it this far are thoroughly invested in it and will continue to read I don't doubt but it still feels like for the last several books it's been pages after page of meetings and some few battle scenes but with not much happening that changes anything.
Kristian Brødsgaard
I'm getting flashbacks to Wheel of Time. A brilliant premise, that is wasted because the author can't make himself move the story forward, gets caught up in minutiae, and introduces dozens upon dozens of characters, by name. (Barely pronouncable names, at that...)

There is a clear lack of progress throughout the book. Sure some engagements between large armies were fought, but we're not much nearer the end of the conflict than 600 pages ago. As if that wasn't annoying enough, Weber has suddenly a
Robert Ottoboni
Feb 27, 2014 Robert Ottoboni rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
As much as I like Weber and the Safehold series I found this one a disappointment. To be honest I don't know what can be done from an author's perspective to make a seventh installment in a complex storyline anything more than 'updates for the battlefield' which is what this book reads as.
There are so many fronts to cover and multiplying characters that there is only room in one book to give a few chapters to each. The plot has branched so many times due to the wonderful depth and reality of it
Steven
Mar 18, 2014 Steven rated it did not like it
I generally like David Weber's work and enjoyed the first volumes of this series, but have been consistently been disappointed at the glacial pace of the plotting and writing. Since about four books ago. When the cast of characters alone reaches 67 pages, that seems to me to be a good indicator of how much bloat we have to wade through. Is anyone at the publisher actually editing these manuscripts?
Jonathan Scotese
This entire series (including the volumes yet to come) could be edited down into an awesome trilogy.

What bothers me is what others love, but so much space is filled with long explanations of technical processes or blow by blow accounts of battles. I read entire chapters and think to myself that the important ideas and events could have been handled in several paragraphs. I understand it is a matter of taste, and I just wish the idea behind the story was a bit less cool so I could quit the series
Andrew
Apr 09, 2014 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're reading book 7, then that means you've read the previous 6 and so already know how this is probably going to go.

The problem is, some of the problems with the series are worse than they've ever been.

The name thing is annoying but bearable, but the sheer number of characters is getting beyond comprehension, which leads on to the second big problem with this book.
As I was getting to what I thought was the good 'cliff-hanger part (84-85% in my kindle app, with an estimated 105 minutes to t
Michelle
Mar 09, 2014 Michelle rated it did not like it
Boring.
If you want to learn about the manufacture of civil war era weaponry, you might like this book. If you actually want to read a science fiction book, look elsewhere.
Liviu
direct continuation of MTAT (would say part 2 of 3 or 4 depending how things will go in book 3 as tempo) and a sweeping epic of land war in Siddamark with lots of other things on the side - the real deal from the infamous snippet about Irys is excellent and shows once again DW's deviousness, while the instructor part from same only adds to the fun...

Loved the ending too which is a little twist at the end, not that I did find it that surprising since after
Adam
Jan 25, 2014 Adam rated it it was ok
I have been a huge fan of this series, and all D.W.'s work to date, but did find this book to be a bit of a hard slog to try and get through.

This book seemed to diverge from previous books in that the focus didn't take place on all the previous primary characters, that readers had gotten emotionally vested in, but in a significant number of new minor characters that seemed to overly complicate and confuse the direction and understanding of the novel. As well as this, there seemed to be a signif
Jerome
Mar 06, 2014 Jerome rated it it was ok
I wish I could stop myself from picking up Weber's books. This baby clocks in at 584 pages. Generously, it could fit in about 120 if one removed all the fluff. The plot inches forward at a snail's pace, many things don't make sense, and every character has the same personality, yet I still want to find out what comes next.
Jun 25, 2014 Laura rated it did not like it
I've read all seven books of this series, to my detriment. The quality has declined steadily, if gradually. I loved the first book and the next few weren't terrible. But at this point my interest has hit rock bottom. I have several main complaints about this book. The first is the author's penchant for writing at length about minor technical points of Safehold's technology. He spends pages and pages discussing NAILS. (Alright that's a slight exaggeration, but not by much) Also, he somehow manage ...more
Mercuzio
Feb 22, 2014 Mercuzio rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This book is simply immense, Weber did a grat job keeping the pace with every single event on the whole planet Safehold. While many may praise him for this, the extreme accuracy and quantity of details about the difficulties of organising supply lines, after forty terribly long pages I had listened the same supply lines issues not by one, but from all the characters of every faction, from the lowest grunt to every churchman in Zion. Weber has lately shown the orrible habit of writing entire chap ...more
Harry A
Mar 06, 2014 Harry A rated it liked it
For the first time, I felt the force of criticisms I've read of Weber's recent books--basically, that he's too deeply involved in the worlds he creates, with the result that the novels are narcissistic developments of the world without an adequate story. This novel has lots of details, many battles, strategic and tactical discussions, ... and not a lot of story. He tries character development, but the characters and their stories aren't developed; the battles, tactics, and strategy are.

I'll keep
Patrick Murray
Apr 16, 2014 Patrick Murray rated it it was ok
I can't say that I enjoyed this one, for the most part. It's really lacking as far as moving the story forward in a meaningful way. Weber seems to be the victim of his own success. Either that or he needs an editor that will tell him to wrap it up. I could not have told you if this was book 6 or book 7 for a good 80-90% of the book.

And if I read the phrase "in the fullness of time" once more, I'll puke.
John Mellby
Feb 23, 2014 John Mellby rated it liked it
David Weber continues his land war in this excellent series, although the book takes almost as much time as a real war.
I enjoyed this a lot and read through it as soon as it was released.
I have to say I have the feeling that at least 20-30% of the book could have been cut out without losing anything of the content. There felt to be a great amount of extraneous detail that wasn't necessary.
Kathy Davie
Mar 19, 2014 Kathy Davie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Real diehards of the Safehold series
Seventh in the Safehold military science fiction series revolving around a religious war while Merlin pushes this backward world into one that has a chance of surviving the future.

My Take
I never thought I'd say this about a David Weber, but this was a bit dull. At least for the first quarter at which point it picked up and became more interesting. But still, I don't feel as if we've made much headway in this installment.

Yes, there are some notable events: Hektor and Irys' trials, the new PICA, m
Scott Holstad
Sep 01, 2015 Scott Holstad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Boy, I really don't know how I feel about this book or about this series anymore. On one hand, I love the series. It's an awesome, epic story told by a fantastic writer. On the other, like so many other people, I'm getting so damn bitter about the author and his stupid manipulations of us, the readers he obviously holds in disdain, so he can sell a zillion more books. His books move at glacial paces, almost nothing of note ever happens, no progress ever gets made, we're never much more further a ...more
Jason
Sep 09, 2014 Jason rated it liked it
Catching up on the latest of David Weber's sprawling Safehold series. It's a hard to explain series as humanity has been virtually wiped out after an alien invasion, except for one planet, Safehold, that a select group of human's escaped to. They locked themselves in a pre-industrial society with an all encompassing church ruling the lives of the millions of citizens, completely forgetting the alien invasion that brought them here. It's complex and involves a cyborg with knowledge of the past ch ...more
Rick English
Apr 30, 2014 Rick English rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of detailed military science fiction
This series has gone afar from where I thought it would go. It is an excellent example of military fiction set in a period just prior to the industrial age.

In general, I like Weber and have read (listened to) several of his books. One starts to notice some annoying stylistic patterns. For example, all of the characters use the phrase "on the other hand" repeatedly. In one of his books I remember reading "on the other hand" three times on a single page. I wish he would use a search and replace be
Marilyn
May 31, 2014 Marilyn rated it did not like it
I've been faithfully reading every book in this series, but with this one I have hit the wall. How can a book have so much detail and dialogue with so little plot advancement? Then there is the problem with the names: not only are they difficult to track because of the bizarre spellings, but there are so many that this book includes a 67 page character list along with the glossary. Clearly I will have died from old age before we get back to space, so I am giving up and moving on to another book ...more
Hotrats
Why does Mr. Weber have to go on and on about how fast per sec bullet fly and how many pounds of black powder it takes to throw shrapnel a set distance? Okay, it's impressive he knows this stuff or researches it but it does very little to move the plot forward. I really believe he needs a good editor. On who can trim down his moralistic speech making and get on with the story. I mean, this is the seventh volume and we are still a long ways from any type of ending.
What ever happened to writing a
Jjab
Mar 22, 2014 Jjab rated it it was ok
I gave this book a 2 because I finished it.

I have read all the books leading up to this one and they were fairly good. They flowed, and there was a sense of accomplishment and development with the characters and story line. This book seemed to just ramble. The points of view switched so often I never seemed to be able to get into the feel of things. I am overall disappointed in this book, because I generally enjoy this author's works.

Wesley
Feb 27, 2014 Wesley rated it liked it
Still too much detail on the all the tiny moving parts of a land war, but I started skimming some which made it more interesting. And I'm too invested in the characters to give up the series at this point. The surprise ending does make me hopeful for the next sequel.
Matthew Bauman
For the love of God, when will this story end? There's not even a light at the end of the tunnel.
Dawn Jacobs
Feb 16, 2014 Dawn Jacobs rated it it was amazing
It's supposed to be out in kindle in 2 days. Wish me happy reading! lol
Ethan Daniels
Jul 29, 2013 Ethan Daniels rated it it was amazing
Dying to read this. I believe it's the 6th book of the Safehold series. Publisher keeps pushing the release date back!
Steven Lee
Jun 12, 2017 Steven Lee rated it liked it
The seventh novel in the Safehold series continues to show the war between the Reformists and Temple Loyalists. The focus of the story continues with the land war in Siddarmark. The Temple forces are still on the offensive at the start but a few bold maneuvers and strategic advantages begins to sway the momentum of the war.

The Charisian forces are slowly joining the front lines and having a tremendous impact. As the novel progresses the Temple forces are consistently losing ground to their swor
Charles
May 21, 2017 Charles rated it it was amazing
While I doubt Mr. Weber saw my criticism (since it was put on here well after the books had been published) on his last couple books, I'm extremely pleased with how different this book was from the last couple.

It kept the action going, and while I'll admit to getting lost a couple times based on the sheer number of names (and how similar a lot of them are) it was relatively easy to follow along. Plus more of the book was devoted to tactics and less on logistics. There was still plenty of "meat"
John
Dec 15, 2016 John rated it it was amazing
Wow! I realize I'm a little late coming to the party, but this series requires a huge time commitment. Fortunately, I have more time to read in my retirement. The development of military technology, accelerated by AI, is fascinating, although Weber's character naming conventions are daunting for this reader. I am enjoying this series as much as The Game of Thrones. But, I do hope both series are able to find a satisfactory conclusion in the near future.
Chris H-C
May 19, 2017 Chris H-C rated it liked it
Nothing outstanding, just a slow continuation of a slow series.
  • The Sea Without a Shore (Lt. Leary, #10)
  • Perilous Shield (The Lost Stars, #2)
  • Counter Strike (Exodus: Empires at War, #7)
  • Citadel (Troy Rising, #2)
  • An Officer's Duty (Theirs Not to Reason Why, #2)
  • 1635: Papal Stakes (Assiti Shards, #11)
  • Daring (Kris Longknife, #9)
  • The Heretic (The General, #9)
  • Valkyrie Burning (Hayden War Cycle,#3)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name
More about David Weber...

Safehold (9 books)
  • Off Armageddon Reef (Safehold, #1)
  • By Schism Rent Asunder (Safehold, #2)
  • By Heresies Distressed (Safehold, #3)
  • A Mighty Fortress (Safehold, #4)
  • How Firm a Foundation (Safehold, #5)
  • Midst Toil and Tribulation (Safehold, #6)
  • Hell's Foundations Quiver (Safehold, #8)
  • At the Sign of Triumph (Safehold #9)

“What’s conquered by the sword depends on the sword to stay conquered.” 0 likes