Hurricane Fever

Hurricane Fever

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Astorm is coming…. Introducing a pulse-pounding technothriller by the New York Times bestselling author of Arctic Rising

Prudence “Roo” Jones never thought he’d have a family to look after—until suddenly he found himself taking care of his orphaned teenage nephew. Roo, a former Caribbean Intelligence operative, spends his downtime on his catamaran dodging the punishing hurr...more
Published July 1st 2014 by Tor Books (first published February 25th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Hurricane Fever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hurricane Fever

Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Hurricane Fever by Tobias S. Buckell is a very highly recommended, fast paced thriller that will leave you feeling like you have been through a hurricane of action.

Dreadlocked Prudence “Roo” Jones, a retired operative from the Caribbean Intelligence Group, is trying to live a quiet, retiring life on his catamaran, Spitfire II, while caring for his teenage nephew and watching out for hurricanes. Roo is tracking an approaching hurricane and preparing to sail to a safe harbor when he gets a message...more
Devin Ganger
Note: this review is spoiler-free.

Tobias Buckell writes very smart people-centric speculative fiction. When I was reading the ARC of his latest novel Hurricane Fever, I realized he has quietly become one of my five favorite authors.

One of the reasons is how he writes in a style I’ll just have to call “Flow” for lack of a more precise term. From the non-typical (and welcome) way Buckell deals with writing dialect to his pacing, his stories move smoothly from introduction to crises to resolution....more
Kate
This was like a fun, summer action movie in book form. It reminded me of Red. It is set at some vague time in the near future, which allows for fun tech and lot's of hurricanes.

The protagonist, Roo, is a retired operative for the Caribbean Intelligence Group, who suddenly ends up in the middle of a crazy plot. It was fun, full of action, and inventive action (there is a memorable scene involving a spear gun).

The author does a reasonable job representing women in the book, most notably with Kit,...more
A.F. Grappin
I spent quite some time in my high school years reading all the James Bond novels I could get my hands on, and Buckell has brought me back to that love I used to have for the genre. In fact, if there are books out there like this, new spy novels of this caliber, then I need to reacquaint myself with this old flame. I admit I did have a little bit of culture shock or maybe geography shock from this being set wholly in the Caribbean, but it was so easy to sink into the characters that I got over t...more
Stacey Filak
There was a lot to like in this book. The characters were fun, the setting was full and lush and obviously well-loved by the author. The story was intriguing and fast-paced, and while containing Sci Fi elements, lent itself very well to the spy genre. I have not, as of yet, read ARCTIC RISING, which is a precursor to this book, but I will. I would also read a follow up novel, especially one that focused on a young Roo.

That said, I'd have liked to see some more in-depth character growth. I wanted...more
Greer
Hurricane Fever is a sharp thriller set in the near future, where the seas have risen and extreme weather patterns batter the Caribbean all summer. It was a quick read, fast paced and enjoyable with a definitely unique sensibility. An ex-Caribbean Intelligence officer gets caught back up in biotech espionage when an old comrade sends him a posthumous message asking to be avenged. There are boats, there are hurricanes, there are many many people of color (what with it being set in the Caribbean a...more
Cynde
A good thriller set in the Caribbean where we all think only vacations happen. Prudence Jones, known as "Roo", must thwart a maniacal industrialist who on the surface appears to be promoting vertical farming to provide more food for the masses, but in his labs,which are free from government's prying eyes , he is growing something far more sinister. "Roo" must fight through hurricanes and Neo-Nazi bodyguards to stop him from spreading a deadly virus.
The characters are not steriotypical and the st...more
Terry
Decent futuristic action thriller with a unique Caribbean slant. A little bloody at times but fast paced action held my attention enough that I read it in one sitting. I just started Arctic Rising, Mr.Buckell's first novel and await more from Prudence "Roo" Jones.
Kate
Really enjoyed this - a short, snappy and exciting technothriller. I just wish it had been longer. Couldn't put it down.

Full review http://forwinternights.wordpress.com/...
Anna
The narrative had holes big enough to sail ships through. The plot made no sense and the dialogue was stupid.
Ben Sowell
Much like Arctic Rising, I liked the setting and premise, but the story was fairly simplistic.
Megan
3 1/2 stars

Proper review coming tomorrow 7/3/14.
Pedro Fragoso
Very clever and intelligent, non-stop action, near future, eco-terrorism thriller, with an exotic bend. Should have been more compelling.
Tobias Asplund
Smart, exciting, fun near-future speculative fiction. Apart from the Xenowealth books (which I really like) this is easily his best.
Joseph S
Joseph S marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Kyle
Kyle is currently reading it
Aug 26, 2014
Paige
Paige added it
Aug 23, 2014
Ann Woody
Ann Woody marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
  • All Those Vanished Engines
  • The Causal Angel
  • The Dark Between the Stars
  • The Boost
  • The Rhesus Chart (Laundry Files, #5)
  • Child of a Hidden Sea (Hidden Sea Tales, #1)
  • Defenders
  • Lock In
  • Unwept (The Nightbirds, #1)
  • Bombshell: A Novel
  • Coldbrook
  • Copper Magic
  • The Artful (Shadows of the City, #1)
  • Crow Creek
  • Artemis Awakening (Artemis Awakening, #1)
  • The Safe Word
  • Ancillary Sword (Imperial Radch, #2)
  • Jupiter War (Owner Trilogy, #3)
Born in the Caribbean, Tobias S. Buckell is a New York Times Bestselling author. His novels and over 50 short stories have been translated into 17 languages and he has been nominated for the Hugo, Nebula, Prometheus and John W. Campbell Award for Best New Science Fiction Author. He currently lives in Ohio.
More about Tobias S. Buckell...
Halo: The Cole Protocol Halo: Evolutions, Volume I Crystal Rain (Xenowealth, #1) Arctic Rising Ragamuffin (Xenowealth, #2)