Start by marking “Hurricane Fever” as Want to Read:
Hurricane Fever

Hurricane Fever (Arctic Rising #2)

A storm is coming…. Introducing a pulse-pounding technothriller by the New York Times bestselling author of Arctic Rising

Prudence "Roo" Jones never thought he'd have a family to look after—until suddenly he found himself taking care of his orphaned teenage nephew. Roo, a former Caribbean Intelligence operative, spends his downtime on his catamaran dodging the punishing hur
Published July 1st 2014 by Tor Books (first published February 25th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Hurricane Fever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hurricane Fever

Devin Ganger
Jul 17, 2014 Devin Ganger rated it it was amazing
Note: this review is spoiler-free.

Tobias Buckell writes very smart people-centric speculative fiction. When I was reading the ARC of his latest novel Hurricane Fever, I realized he has quietly become one of my five favorite authors.

One of the reasons is how he writes in a style I’ll just have to call “Flow” for lack of a more precise term. From the non-typical (and welcome) way Buckell deals with writing dialect to his pacing, his stories move smoothly from introduction to crises to resolution.
Stefan
Jun 16, 2014 Stefan rated it really liked it
I very much enjoyed Tobias Buckell’s 2012 SF novel Arctic Rising, which was set on a near-future Earth dramatically affected by global warming. As much as I loved that novel’s main character Anika, I mentioned in my review that I wouldn’t mind reading a novel set in the same world but featuring one of its two excellent supporting characters, Vy or Roo.

Lo and behold, just about two years later, Buckell delivers Hurricane Fever, starring former Caribbean Intelligence Group operative Prudence “Roo”
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Jul 11, 2014 Lori L (She Treads Softly) rated it it was amazing
Hurricane Fever by Tobias S. Buckell is a very highly recommended, fast paced thriller that will leave you feeling like you have been through a hurricane of action.

Dreadlocked Prudence “Roo” Jones, a retired operative from the Caribbean Intelligence Group, is trying to live a quiet, retiring life on his catamaran, Spitfire II, while caring for his teenage nephew and watching out for hurricanes. Roo is tracking an approaching hurricane and preparing to sail to a safe harbor when he gets a message
Kate
Aug 02, 2014 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: library, 2014
This was like a fun, summer action movie in book form. It reminded me of Red. It is set at some vague time in the near future, which allows for fun tech and lot's of hurricanes.

The protagonist, Roo, is a retired operative for the Caribbean Intelligence Group, who suddenly ends up in the middle of a crazy plot. It was fun, full of action, and inventive action (there is a memorable scene involving a spear gun).

The author does a reasonable job representing women in the book, most notably with Kit,
Craig
May 21, 2016 Craig rated it really liked it
Hurricane Fever is an enjoyable companion volume to Arctic Rising, but not a direct sequel. It's a near-future novel detailing the perils of the changing climate, with interesting speculations into the economic, sociological, and technological ramifications. I didn't find the science as rigorous as the earlier work, but the spy/thriller/action is non-stop. Buckell's characters are always interesting and intelligent, and the setting is especially fascinating. This one would be a perfect beach rea ...more
Luke Burrage
Full review on my podcast, SFBRP #251.
Heather
Aug 28, 2016 Heather rated it did not like it
I don't think I've ever given a book one star before.

The plot here could have been run by the worst supervillain in a James Bond movie. No, Austin Powers. I actually like Roo, the protagonist, although there are some aspects to his handling of events that are .... highly questionable. And I like the world building (more on that later).
SPOILERS. If you care.
1. Why give the data to Roo? Why not someone else at CIG? Other than the "we were buddies years ago" connection, it's made very plain that Ro
A.F. Grappin
Jul 26, 2014 A.F. Grappin rated it really liked it
I spent quite some time in my high school years reading all the James Bond novels I could get my hands on, and Buckell has brought me back to that love I used to have for the genre. In fact, if there are books out there like this, new spy novels of this caliber, then I need to reacquaint myself with this old flame. I admit I did have a little bit of culture shock or maybe geography shock from this being set wholly in the Caribbean, but it was so easy to sink into the characters that I got over t ...more
Tanya Patrice
Oct 05, 2014 Tanya Patrice rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook
This is quite a fast paced thriller and action packed too. It's a thriller that moves about various Caribbean islands as Roo pursues the person responsible for deaths of those close to him. Clearly, Buckell is one smart writer. He managed to make me envision a World where hurricanes were ever increasing, and all the talk of weather patterns, and biotech espionage wasn't overdone. What might have been a tad too much, was all the information about sailing, but I enjoyed hearing about the various C ...more
David Scrimshaw
Dec 08, 2016 David Scrimshaw rated it really liked it
It's kind of fun to read a James Bond type action story where the secret agent is a Caribbean guy.

I like Buckell's outer space science fiction more, but I'll read the next story about Roo Jones.

Even though small talking animals aren't even a possibility.
Patrick Justo
Jan 13, 2017 Patrick Justo rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Hollywood is missing a great but if they don't turn this book into a Blockbuster movie.

Semi-retired Caribbean Intelligence agent "Roo" Jones lives on a catamaran sailboat in the Lesser Antillies. When he gets an email and voice message from a recently deceased colleague, he's reluctantly drawn back into the business. But when he gets targeted by the same neo-Nazis who killed his friend, he's out for revenge. Can Jones follow the clues his dead friend left scattered throughout the Carribean, whil
Vanessa
Mar 17, 2016 Vanessa rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
The worldbuilding is excellent, the setting and its contingent issues handled well, the action sequences thrilling. Loved Roo as a character. Some side-character sketches done well. Unfortunately, there was a general lack of character development--many times we're told, rather than shown, the evolution of character relationships and ideas. Kit was the worst offender: next to nonexistent, for all that she was there for most of the novel. Several plot points fell flat or felt perfunctory. A certai ...more
Stacey Filak
Aug 25, 2014 Stacey Filak rated it liked it
There was a lot to like in this book. The characters were fun, the setting was full and lush and obviously well-loved by the author. The story was intriguing and fast-paced, and while containing Sci Fi elements, lent itself very well to the spy genre. I have not, as of yet, read ARCTIC RISING, which is a precursor to this book, but I will. I would also read a follow up novel, especially one that focused on a young Roo.

That said, I'd have liked to see some more in-depth character growth. I wanted
Zach
Hurricane Fever is a sharp thriller set in the near future, where the seas have risen and extreme weather patterns batter the Caribbean all summer. It was a quick read, fast paced and enjoyable with a definitely unique sensibility. An ex-Caribbean Intelligence officer gets caught back up in biotech espionage when an old comrade sends him a posthumous message asking to be avenged. There are boats, there are hurricanes, there are many many people of color (what with it being set in the Caribbean a ...more
Cynde
Jul 29, 2014 Cynde rated it really liked it
A good thriller set in the Caribbean where we all think only vacations happen. Prudence Jones, known as "Roo", must thwart a maniacal industrialist who on the surface appears to be promoting vertical farming to provide more food for the masses, but in his labs,which are free from government's prying eyes , he is growing something far more sinister. "Roo" must fight through hurricanes and Neo-Nazi bodyguards to stop him from spreading a deadly virus.
The characters are not steriotypical and the st
Gary
Jul 13, 2015 Gary rated it it was ok
Two Goodreads stars means, "It was OK," and that's what I felt about this formulaic thriller. All the standard elements were there--independently minded secret agent up against a rich super-villain and his Nazi henchmen, who benefits from alliances with shady characters and a mysterious woman, with car chases and gunplay. What distinguished the story from the paint-by-numbers plotting was its near-future Caribbean setting and its indigenous West Indies hero. If only he were balanced by an equall ...more
jillbertini
Jul 28, 2014 jillbertini rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi, 2014
I wish I could give this book two different ratings: one for the writing and one for the story. I LOVED the character of Roo, the setting and the overall story. I would give it four stars for that. I thought the pace was great and I enjoyed the thriller and science fiction elements.

The writing kept throwing me out of the story, though. I don't know if this is because I'm learning more about writing and craft, but there were little things that made the experience bumpy. Perhaps these would not be
Mark
Dec 20, 2015 Mark rated it liked it
When I finished the first book in this series (Arctic Rising) I thought it was a mistake to listen to instead of read. It was so well paced I figured any sequel would be one of those books you read in an evening or two instead of trying to find the right bit of genre TV. Spoiler: I was right.

This is in the same near future, post-global warming, resource constrained world, but it follows a supporting character (Roo) back to the Caribbean where weekly hurricanes and not melting ice are the backdro
Virginia
Set in the near future, former spy Roo gets dragged back into his old life when an old spy friend dies and leaves him a mysterious package.

Took me awhile to figure out that it was in the near future vs the present. (Which just goes to show you how terribly ignorant I am of world affairs as well as how well written and plausible Buckell's world creation is. Bonus points for POC protagonists. It's always nice to see us in the future, too.
John Devenny
Jul 15, 2014 John Devenny rated it really liked it
This is a very entertaining but also thought provoking near future eco-thriller set in the Caribbean. The world is suffering the effects of climate change with regular and frequent hurricanes. Throw in a James Bond style villain, some interesting future technology and very engaging characters and you have a terrific book.
Drew
Oct 08, 2014 Drew rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible, thrillers
“Hurricane Fever” walks a thin line between action thriller and vacation read. The tropical setting makes this book almost serene (if you listen to the audio book the narrator helps), while the characters rush headlong into a conspiracy they didn’t wish for. With a good balance of character development, plot progression and action this well written thriller is a fun and interesting read.
Kate
Really enjoyed this - a short, snappy and exciting technothriller. I just wish it had been longer. Couldn't put it down.

Full review http://forwinternights.wordpress.com/...
RHPL Adult Reference
Buckell's second book set in a near future of global warming, features Prudence "Roo" Jones. An old friend sends Roo a plea and the information that got him killed. Non-stop action ensues as hurricane after hurricane sweeps through the Caribbean.
Cynthia Serrano
Mar 10, 2015 Cynthia Serrano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-fantasy
Good writer and very good reader. The author cares deeply about global warning and the clash between the rich and the third world, and skillfully integrates his political beliefs in the the fast paced narrative.
Barry
Jan 01, 2015 Barry rated it liked it
An ok read, pretty simplistic, more like a teen read. Read as a first effort or an entry for a college class, not what I'd expect from a New York Times best selling author. Needed more editing, lots of spelling errors, poor grammar, poorly constructed sentence structure, etc.
Vickstar
Dec 24, 2014 Vickstar rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Fun, fast-paced and very clever. I loved Roo as a character and the near future world building was fantastic, especially the Caribbean setting and the consideration of the political and technological effects of global warming, not the just the ecological fallout. More please!
Alec Sena
May 10, 2015 Alec Sena rated it did not like it
Read this for a class. It was our last book for the semester and our professor chose it to let us close on something easy. Pretty much for that reason, I didn't enjoy it, as it just seemed really shallow compared to the other things we had read.
Terry
Aug 19, 2014 Terry rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Decent futuristic action thriller with a unique Caribbean slant. A little bloody at times but fast paced action held my attention enough that I read it in one sitting. I just started Arctic Rising, Mr.Buckell's first novel and await more from Prudence "Roo" Jones.
Susanne
Sep 30, 2014 Susanne rated it liked it
Step 1: Transplant Carl Hiassen from Florida to the Caribbean
Step 2: Add some finely chopped soft science fiction
Step 3: Season with a gripping plot and believable characters
Step 4: Enjoy!
Pedro L. Fragoso
Aug 05, 2014 Pedro L. Fragoso rated it really liked it
Very clever and intelligent, non-stop action, near future, eco-terrorism thriller, with an exotic bend. Should have been more compelling.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Reach for Infinity
  • Fractured (Detective Ellie MacIntosh #4)
  • All Those Vanished Engines
  • Bullettime
  • Crandolin
  • Talus and the Frozen King
  • Adam Robots
  • Master of the House of Darts (Obsidian and Blood, #3)
  • Revival House
  • The Great Lover
Born in the Caribbean, Tobias S. Buckell is a New York Times Bestselling author. His novels and over 50 short stories have been translated into 17 languages and he has been nominated for the Hugo, Nebula, Prometheus and John W. Campbell Award for Best New Science Fiction Author. He currently lives in Ohio.
More about Tobias S. Buckell...

Arctic Rising (2 books)