Start by marking “Goose” as Want to Read:
Goose

Goose

Hatched far from the nest, the little gosling is loved enormously by her adoptive family of woodchucks. But sometimes she feels sad and "different". But everything changes the day she stumbles off a cliff and discovers she can fly! Full color.
Published September 1st 1996 by Blue Sky Press

To ask other readers questions about Goose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goose

Cheryl
Sep 11, 2016 Cheryl rated it liked it
Obviously an adoption story. But sweet nonetheless. And I liked that the ending is natural - no HEA that Goose gets to connect with her birth parents. The paintings, well, they're artistic... I could see that some other reviewers didn't care for them, but I did.

Most of all I appreciated the small size, the unassuming format. It's not all in-your-face saying, "Buy me! I'm an oversize, overpriced, instant classic!"
Christian Wallace
May 08, 2015 Christian Wallace rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book because of the way the author/illustrator was able to convey the goos's feelings of sadness enjoy within such a short book. Within a short amount of time, we as readers feel sorry for the goose because it can't fly, yet we immediately feel great joy when the goose learned to fly and returns home to her friends and family. I also really enjoyed the illustrations of the book. The illustrator decided to use different strategies such as various rectangle and square types o ...more
Melissa Stasi
Apr 29, 2015 Melissa Stasi rated it it was amazing
My first impression of this book was that it was so cute and taught such a sweet lesson about being different from just a few pages and such a small amount of words. This goose was born into a family of woodchucks and her friends consisted of rabbits and other animals. She felt really different because she was the only duck so she decided to leave. She got really lonely until she fell off a cliff and found out that she could fly. This teaches children that even though you feel different from eve ...more
Joanne Roberts
Jun 22, 2016 Joanne Roberts rated it really liked it
An amazing bit of visual storytelling with an unexpected, heart-warming ending. Molly Bang's sense of composition at it's finest - every piece immerses the reader in this modern ugly duckling tale. Lavish colors and adorable wildlife make this a perfect tale for growing up.
Alice
Dec 04, 2014 Alice rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
Not the greatest of pictures but I liked the story. A goose is born into a woodchuck family....but when the Goose accidentally falls of a cliff..he flaps his wings and flaps his wings...and he learns he can fly.!!

A twist on the ugly duckling story!
Hillvan
NC790L. Kind of a scary adoptive book. A young reader stated that it was sad, that Goose doesn't get back to her birth mother.

Her adopted family was loving and accepting. Lovely illustrations.
jacky
Aug 16, 2014 jacky rated it really liked it
I really liked a few things about this book. I liked how all the pictures were very realistic, expect the one where the woodchucks make a pyramid to cheer up the goose. The way that one picture stood out made it extra cute and funny. I also really loved how Molly Bang could use just a few pictures and short text to make us feel the goose's sadness and then joy upon feeling different and then returning home once she discovered herself. Many stories do this in a shallow way, but this really gets a ...more
Jeffrey
Jun 09, 2014 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing
Wonderful little story about being different - would go so nicely with Andersen's Ugly Duckling - and Bang is such a fine illustrator too!
Taya
Oct 05, 2009 Taya rated it did not like it
Shelves: pbgs-2
My biggest problem with the illustrations of this book was that about half of the pages were broken apart with borders to create either a set of rectangles or smaller squares on the pages. Though this was used to set apart differnt sections of the story, the inconsistency really made it hard to follow and took away from the flow of the story. There was just too many different elements going on within the different pages that the book did not feel like a collective whole. I think the author/illus ...more
Bree
Feb 27, 2014 Bree rated it did not like it
Shelves: preschool-books
Notes:
similar to ugly duckling
format is awful -- several small rectangles of art on a tiny page
Leslie
May 12, 2015 Leslie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
All about being different, finding yourself and finding your way back home.
Nancy
Jul 12, 2015 Nancy added it
Shelves: childrens
READS Streaming Video Weston Woods Read by Laura Dern.
Marni
Sep 04, 2011 Marni rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, 2011
We thought this was ultra cute. It's like "The Ugly Ducking," only the goose is welcomed into his new family. Even though he needed to go away for a bit, there is a nice happy ending. Some really fun pictures.
Kim
Oct 16, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Short, but sweet tale with charming illustrations. The small size of the book makes it difficult for large groups to see the pictures.

themes: adoption, family, geese, woodchucks
Shala Howell
Jan 14, 2008 Shala Howell rated it liked it
Hard to really judge this fairly, as the copy we checked out from the library is missing one or two pages. What is there seems interesting for B.
Paula
Oct 26, 2011 Paula rated it really liked it
Cute little book
Adopted by woodchucks at birth, a baby goose never feels she truly belongs--until the day she discovers she can fly.
Sep 17, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing
teach
-roll
-hatch
-fall/fell
-flap
-fly
Arminzerella
A goose raised by woodchucks! Awww...
Heather
Aug 21, 2010 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-alouds
Cute, short and great pictures.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Kayli Weeks
Kayli Weeks marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Christa Balero
Christa Balero marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Brooke
Brooke rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Kristin McIlhagga
Kristin McIlhagga marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Darla Deibler
Darla Deibler marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Cathryn Shaw
Cathryn Shaw rated it really liked it
May 15, 2016
Sinae
Sinae rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016