Start by marking “Duck & Goose” as Want to Read:
Duck & Goose

Duck & Goose (Duck & Goose)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  1,000 ratings  ·  131 reviews
Here is the first book in the popular Duck & Goose line of picture books and board books. This New York Times Bestseller and ALA-ALSC Notable Children's Book stars two unforgettable characters and is filled with humor that young children will appreciate—and recognize!

Like James Marshall’s George and Martha, and Rosemary Wells’s Benjamin and Tulip, Duck and Goose have t...more
Published January 24th 2006 by Schwartz & Wade

To ask other readers questions about Duck & Goose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duck & Goose

Kathryn
When Duck and Goose stumble upon an exciting discovery, they quickly claim the egg as their own. Neither wants to budge, so they both end up sitting on the egg, waiting for it to hatch. At first, they bicker over who would make the better parent, but as their vigil continues, friendship begins to crack through their crusty exterior as they become united in their concern for the chick.

I loved Tad Hills' How Rocket Learned to Read and this book shares the same winsome, thoughtful and gently humoro...more
Lisa Vegan
Apr 18, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
This book is adorable and very funny. I love this author-illustrator’s book [How Rocket Learned to Read] and now, after reading this book, I’m definitely going to be on the lookout for further books by Hills; I see there are other books about these characters. This is a lovely story about friendship, collaboration, and misunderstandings. The cover illustration did not appeal to me but once I got into the story, I ended up enjoying all the illustrations. My favorite illustrations are the atypical...more
Heidi
I really like these Goose and Duck books. I love the illustrations. And I like the stories. I like how these behavior lessons (getting along, compromising, working together) are portrayed. It's just sad there isn't some kind of adult to "reign them in" or correct their actions.
Chelsea
I adore the Duck and Goose books - great illustrations, cute stories, and a wonderful sense of humor. One of my standard go-to recommendations when people used to ask me at the bookstores.
Bree
Notes:
appropriate subtitle would be Duck and Goose teach kids how to fight
Jessica Lynch
Duck and Goose is about a duck and goose arguing over a ball that they think is an egg. After a while of arguing, they become friends and talk about what they are going to do with the baby once it is hatched. They realize that it is a ball when the blue bird asks them if he can play with their ball too. This then causes the duck and goose to discuss how they both had their doubts about the "egg".

In the book Duck and Goose, Tad Hills brings the book alive with his style of writing and his illustr...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for Kids @ TeensReadToo.com

When young duck and goose find a large, multi-colored, spotted "egg," bickering ensues. "I saw it first," proclaims Duck. "I touched it first," smirks Goose, putting one webbed foot on the egg. As the argument continues, over whose egg it is, and who will keep it warm until it hatches, a small blue bird looks on.

When the dust settles and feathers are unruffled, both Duck & Goose are atop the egg. As time passes, their arguments end, and they both be...more
A.b. Hushour
I have read several of the Duck & Goose books, and find them all to be pretty enjoyable. This one threw me for a loop though, as I actually believed, based on the distortion of the illustrations, that the ball was actually an egg. Total shock when I got to the end and it was revealed that the two characters where actually nesting a rubber ball. I felt their shame and embarrassment.
Ashley
Hills, Tad. Duck & Goose. New York: Schwartz & Wade, 2006. Print.
Genre: Children’s Picture Book
Duck & Goose by Tad Hills is an adorable tale about a duck and a goose who find an extraordinary “egg.” This picture book is filled with bright and colorful primary colored pictures. The main focus in almost every picture is this giant “egg.” The story teaches the value of sharing and friendship. It also teaches the concept that everyone is good at something. Children will enjoy this charm...more
Karen
My four-year-old son picked this book out from our local library today.

I remember when this book was added to the library where I was working as a children's librarian. My colleagues and I fought over who would get to use this book first, not unlike Duck and Goose and their "egg". I didn't win, but I used the book for another story time later in the year.

Some of the language in the text was a bit above my son's level, so I had to adapt it a bit, but he still got the story. He still laughed at...more
Nestor Panchez
In this book duck and goose both find a ball and seem to believe it is an egg. They both argue on to see who gets to keep the egg. They soon start to plan on what they're going to do with the egg and plan on raising it right. They soon meet a blue bird who tells them that the "egg" they found is a ball.
Romelle

This is a heart-warming, yet funny, story about a duck and a goose who squabble over their discovery.
"...what is that?" asked Duck.
"It's a big egg, of course," said Goose.

The dialogue between Duck and Goose is authentic and hilarious that you can't help but fall in love with these characters. These apparent strangers eventually come to terms with their shared responsibility of caring for the egg. Throughout the process, their relationship flourishes. But instead of two budding friends, they end...more
Joanna
A duck and a goose both find an egg. They both claim rights to it, but they agree that it is beautiful. They fight to take care of the egg, each saying what they are going to do to raise the bird inside. Their hopes and dreams soon merge and the two bond, only to figure out that their precious egg is actually just a rubber ball.
Sonya Feher
Duck and Goose are great role models for kids. We don't always get along with our friends and sometimes we want what they have. As Duck and Goose compete for control of what they think is an egg, they realize how much they have in common and find a way of coming together to reach a shared goal. Before they come together though, they almost come apart:

"Duck and Goose each thought."

Duck's thoughts: "this egg is private property. Duck's egg. No Geese allowed. No honking. 5 $ fine"

Goose's thoughts...more
Sue Keay
I coudl read this book to my children every night. Some nights I still do although at 10 and 7 my kids claim to be too old for it. Still, they enjoy my enjoyment of this book. Beautifully written, beautifully illustrated. A book about assumptions.
Carlos Rodriguez
this children's book is about how a duck and a goose. They find a egg and they wanted to take care of the egg. they started fighting over the egg so they can show it new things.But later on one of their friends tell them it is a ball.
Christine Rocha
I think this book is great.The illustration is really fun and colorful. Its about a duck and goose and they find a "egg" and fight about taking care of it.At the end they find out it wasn't a egg it was a ball.
Henry Martin
A very entertaining, silly story about a duck, a goose, and a colorful ball. Their arguing is hilarious, their actions even more. It takes a little blue bird to realize they have been wrong all along.
Matthew
For a book that has so many words to it, the author did not cover a lot of ground in this one. I felt like I had to speed through this book to keep my attention and my son's attention.
Aubree Cash
Not a bad picture book for very young children. Hard back books are great for children who like to put things in their mouths! I would use this book for daycare rather anything older.
Melanie
One day Duck and Goose encounter a very large round object. They both decide it's an egg and have immediate thoughts on who's it should be. They both decide that it should be kept warm but begin to fight over who should have the privilege of keeping it warm. Goose and Duck end up both on top of the egg, fighting for space to sit. Then they begin to argue back and forth about what lessons each bird will teach the child. Throughout this process the fighting becomes less and Goose and Duck realize...more
Janet
Read to my Pre K to 1 classes. This was a good story about a friendship growing. Needed just one good picture actually showing the moment when they changed from rivals to friends. Children need to see it, inferring is still a skill they build on. I really had to pull it out. But the story is worth it! Graphics are great, never had so many giggles over a ball/egg kerfuffle. Publisher also covered up the thought bubbles. Some language may be have to be reworked before you read. I got it, but I don...more
babyhippoface
When Duck and Goose come upon a polka-dotted ball in the field, they both think it’s an egg and argue over ownership as they wait for it to hatch. This is an utterly charming story wit comical oil illustrations that capture the curiosity, anger, and stubborness of the little birds as they scrap over the ball. Even the youngest listeners will recognize the birds’ mistake immediately and will giggle with delight as they vie for the “egg.” Hills has hatched a winner that is sure to make its way to...more
Saralyn
I didn't love this Duck & Goose story like I have the rest. Still. The illustrations are super cute.
Andrew Reyes
This book started with the duck and goose finding a big colorful and fighting over whose it was. They gave reasons why the other would be a better parent and finally decided to sit on it together until it hatches. While sitting they talked about the things that they would provide for the young animal and started to agree upon parenting techniques. When this happened a bird came by and explained to them that the egg was a ball and they became friends and played with the ball. This book had more o...more
jacky
I read Natalie a board book about these two characters a long time ago and didn't realize until much later that they are series characters. I've thought about going back to them, but just hadn't yet. This book was at the Portland Children's Museum, and I read it to Natalie to help keep her occupied while she ate her snack. It was a bit long for that purpose, but Natalie showed some interest at the beginning despite her stimulating surroundings. I continued to like Duck and Goose and found the to...more
Debbie
A darling book about a sweet pair of friends!
Ciera
Short, sweet, and cute! Very funny story line about a duck and goose who argue over an "egg" they find.... however the egg is actually a ball. The ducks are arguing over who gets to keep the egg in the beginning, but soon become friends. These two characters are great for children to look up to. It's all about putting differences aside, and creating friendships. Although sometimes you may not always see eye to eye with someone, it's always better to be friends than fight! Very cute illustrations...more
Susan
Feb 08, 2014 Susan added it
Such a fun way to talk about sharing.
Emese
Set in the meadow near a farm, the picture book tells the story of two unwilling friends who come together in order to keep their new-found “egg” safe. Duck and Goose argue over who should be the owner of the polka dotted shape, but when they see no other option, they grudgingly agree to take care of the “egg” together. The two bond over their responsibilities, and when a little bird points out that the “egg” is indeed a ball, the two are happy to play together. The colorful oil paintings add to...more
  • Gossie
  • Mouse Mess
  • Bounce
  • No Two Alike
  • Tea Party Rules
  • What Will Fat Cat Sit On?
“Whenever I picture myself [as a child],” says Tad Hills, “I am doing art. I spent a lot of time on my own making things, drawing, and painting.” Hills was not consciously trying to become an artist, rather his motives were innocent and pure. “I liked making things,” he says.

As a graduate of Skidmore College in New York with a degree in art, Hills describes himself as the ultimate freelancer. He’s...more
More about Tad Hills...
How Rocket Learned to Read Rocket Writes a Story Duck & Goose Find A Pumpkin Duck, Duck, Goose What's Up, Duck?: A Book of Opposites