Start by marking “How Smudge Came” as Want to Read:
How Smudge Came

How Smudge Came

Cindy is developmentally challenged and no pets are allowed in the home where she lives, so she must hide her new-found puppy in her room until she can find someone to care for him.
Published September 1st 1998 by Red Deer Press (first published December 12th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about How Smudge Came, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Smudge Came

Kathryn
May 26, 2011 Kathryn rated it really liked it
This is the story of big-hearted Cindy and the puppy she finds one cold, rainy day on the city streets. She brings him home but knows she can't keep him. She takes him to work and he enchants one of her friends there, but still, the workplace is no home for a puppy. What to do? She can't hide him forever. But when he goes to a local shelter and isn't adopted, the pain is almost more than she can take. For she felt the puppy was HER puppy, and somehow she hopes they can still be together.

Sounds l
Kayla Edwards
Jan 08, 2016 Kayla Edwards rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I'd forgotten about this book until one of my students pulled it off the shelf this morning. We read it aloud and the kids were fascinated (and that's saying something with the group I was reading too!!). This book is an amazing way to introduce some awareness about people living with disabilities and how they are sometimes treated. The added bonus nugget about doing someone an unexpected kindness is just icing on the cake!
Dolly
May 08, 2011 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, pets, 2011
This is such a tender story - it brought tears to our eyes as we read it. The love between a human and a pet can create such a strong bond and bring such joy into our lives. And as we've seen many times when my Dad brought his little dog, Honey, to the nursing home, people who are in a care facility who often seem lost and withdrawn get a spark of joy and a light in their eyes when they pet her. So to have that joy snuffed out is a terrible thing and we felt so sad for Cindy when the people who ...more
Cheryl
Sep 23, 2015 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Been on my list for a few years, glad I finally read it. Made me tear up, should painlessly teach & inspire children.
Jim
CONTAINS SPOILERS

wow wow wow

its been months since i rated a book 6 stars.

Cindy, a woman w/Down Syndrome lives in a group home and works as a cleaning lady at a hospice, finds a puppy digging in garbage on the way home and rescues it. She hides the pup of course, she Knows what everyone will tell her and what they think she is capable of, she takes the pup to work w/her, a nearly blind man given-up on life discovers what Cindy is hiding. And falls in love w/it.
When she gets home, the overseers d
Jamal Scott
Nov 10, 2014 Jamal Scott rated it really liked it
The front picture on the book is pretty blurry and there's a dog on it. On the back is a lady walking in the rain. The title is off to the side and in black. The pictures the book are sort of descriptive but they look gloomy of blurry.

There's a girl named Cindy who is developmentally challenged. In the home where she lives no dogs are allowed. So Cindy hides her new found puppy in her room.
Elisabeth
Mar 19, 2008 Elisabeth rated it really liked it
I liked this book. It's happy and sad at the same time. Happy because it ends well, a little sad because there are people like Cindy who just aren't allowed to decide for themselves.
Cindy is clearly living in a home of some kind, and I understand that there will have to be rules in a place like that, but still, I think it could have been handled differently by the people in charge.
Laurie
This is such a sweet book!!! I read this every year to my kindergarten class. It's a great book for teaching about people different than ourselves and how important it is to treat everybody with respect.
liza
Jun 18, 2007 liza rated it it was amazing
a lovely telling of a girl meets dog story, written for adults and children to enjoy together. a marvelously smooth use of unique characters enhances the book's beauty and widens the appeal.
M.M. Hudson
Apr 28, 2014 M.M. Hudson rated it really liked it
This is a sweet but some what sad little story about a girl named Cindy who lives in a group home. She finds a stray puppy and sneaks it into her room. She takes the puppy with her to her job at a hospice home. The name given the puppy incidentally is cute too.
However, the puppy is soon discovered and shipped off to the SPCA. CIndy finds herself quite sad. That is all I will reveal but I will say, the book does have a happy ending.
-----------
The author treats the girl Cindy with respect to her
Amanda
Feb 07, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
This book is about a girl named Cindy that finds a puppu out on the street. Cindy brings the dog home and takes care of it and nobody knows that she has it. The next day Cindy has to go to work so she brings the little puppy with her to work. One of the individuals at Cindy's work is Jan. Jan is sick and is almost blind. When Jan finds out that Cindy has the puppy Jan takes the puppy and starts petting it. Cindy knew it was a good idea to bring the puppy to work with her. When she got home her p ...more
Laina Shearouse
Oct 29, 2012 Laina Shearouse rated it really liked it
"How Smudge Came" by Nan Gregory is a story about a Cindy a girl who appears (never explicitly states)to have Down syndrome who one day finds a puppy. Cindy takes care of her puppy, Smudge, and even takes Smudge to her job at Hospice. However, Cindy lives in a group home and she is not allowed to keep Smudge. She tries to get him back after he has been taken to SPCA, she takes the bus all the way across town but in the end she is too late and Smudge has been adopted. But when Cindy goes to work ...more
Peacegal
Jul 29, 2016 Peacegal rated it liked it
HOW SMUDGE CAME is a sweet and thought-provoking book probably best suited to older kids because of its more mature themes.
It tells the story of a developmentally disabled young woman who works as a janitor at a hospice, and what happens when she finds a stray puppy.
For kids who are old enough to grasp its themes, SMUDGE is a sweet and touching story.
Cara Byrne
Apr 01, 2016 Cara Byrne rated it it was amazing
Cindy has Down's syndrome, lives in a group home, and cleans at a hospice facility. All of this is secondary information to the main story about how she found a puppy who she names Smudge. It's a simply beautiful picture book that takes on a unique narrative perspective. A lovely tearjerker.
Jer Fairall
Nov 20, 2014 Jer Fairall rated it liked it
Beautifully illustrated story about a protagonist with Down Syndrome and her adorable puppy. Features one supporting character who, as I read it, is HIV positive. Not nearly as heavy as it sounds, and it ends happily, though the protagonist's caretakers are somewhat arbitrarily mean.
Rathen
Dec 05, 2014 Rathen rated it liked it
Give it a read and discover how the smudge came. Its one of those that i feel is a toss up, you may or may not like it.
Jordyn Wagner
Oct 17, 2014 Jordyn Wagner rated it it was amazing
Literally my favorite book as a kid. I read it at least once a week and always had it checked out from the library!
JustOneMoreBook.com
Aug 02, 2007 JustOneMoreBook.com rated it it was amazing
How better to understand our common humanity than to peek at the inner world of another — and find it so like our own? Soft, coloured pencil illustrations and sparse, personal narrative relate a poignant story of love and loss, freedom and frustration, heartbreak and, in the end, happiness.

Other books referred to in this podcast: Dr. White

Listen to our chat about this book on our JustOneMoreBook.com Children's Book Podcast:

Jacki
Jul 08, 2013 Jacki rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Cindy finds a puppy and tries to keep him. The place where she lives says she can't keep the puppy because she doesn't know how to take care of him. Cindy has Downs Syndrome and works at Hospice. She is sad when she finds that Smudge (the puppy) has been given away. Cindy goes to Hospice the next day and finds out that everyone there adopted Smudge and they will keep him for Cindy.
Paul
Dec 29, 2012 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit
The story of both Smudge the dog and Cindy (who cleans in a hospice facility) needing to have a home and a place to be loved and needed is very effectively conveyed. The simple colored-pencil drawings are a perfect match for the story. This isn't exactly a kids book to read with the grandchildren; it's more of a touching story that can help address the need to fit or a loss.
Seth
Nov 12, 2012 Seth rated it it was amazing
PB:17 How Smudge Came. What an amazing story that can relate to so many people, especially children who have lost a dog in some way and be reuinted with it in a magical way. Having a new puppy is one of the greatest feelings in the world and so many memories are made. Such a great read for the ordinary child but for adults as well.
Shoshanna
May 15, 2011 Shoshanna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: story-time
I have been looking for this book for years. I kept forgetting to ask Scout what the name of the book she mentioned in class a couple years ago was. This is it. I cried while reading it. So amazing.
Angie Marie
Aug 22, 2012 Angie Marie rated it it was amazing
i thought it was a boring little kiddy book that i'd usually read to the kids i babysit......but as i read i found it was a suprisingly good story please read it to your children
Terrah Carroll
May 17, 2012 Terrah Carroll rated it really liked it
This story was beautiful. It was extremely heart felt, and brings tears to your eyes. The illustrations were beautiful and painted the words beautifully.
Sassy School Counselor
A sweet story about getting a new pet, but with a twist. The main character has Down's syndrome and does not live in a traditional home setting.
Jennifer Gamel
Nov 21, 2013 Jennifer Gamel rated it really liked it
I thought this was an especially good book, would be a great way to talk about special needs students to a class.
Phyllis
Dec 30, 2012 Phyllis rated it really liked it
Recommended to Phyllis by: Mimi Larson
Shelves: children-s
Fun children's book with a happy ending.
Claire Logan Julia