Start by marking “Just a Boy: An Inspiring and Heartwarming True Story” as Want to Read:
Just a Boy: An Inspiring and Heartwarming True Story

Just a Boy: An Inspiring and Heartwarming True Story

A heartwarming short story from bestselling author and foster carer Casey Watson.

A digital-exclusive short story from Casey Watson, plus a sneak peek chapter from Casey’s highly anticipated next title, Breaking the Silence, and sample chapters from each of Casey’s five moving and inspirational titles.

Although he isn’t with them for long, Cameron immediately touches the hea
Published May 9th 2013 by Harper Element

To ask other readers questions about Just a Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just a Boy

Books
May 17, 2016 Books rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-2016
I enjoy Cathy Glass’s books, thus I decided to read one of Casey Watson’s books as she also fosters children. I’ve heard only good things about Ms Watson’s writing as everyone in our book club seems to have read her books. Just a Boy did not disappoint and though it is a short story (only the first 19% on the Kindle version) it is to the point and left me feeling good knowing that there are other people like me in this world who care so deeply for others. The rest of the book serves as ...more
Chris
Apr 01, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: true
It is hard to give a book a high rating if it is under 100 pages. The story is about a 13 year old boy who is blind and stays with a family for the weekend that have been fostering children for several years. The book explains how ignorant people can be around handicap individuals. They don't know what to say or do. It is amazing what some handicap people can do.
J.d. Egan
Jan 22, 2015 J.d. Egan rated it liked it
Shelves: memoirs
The challenge in reviewing a short short story is to make sure your review isn't longer than the story itself. Thus, I'm going to make this short, if not sweet, and hope not fail miserably.

If my memory serves me right, this is Casey Watson's first short story and 6th book; though I am yet to read her other works. As with her other books, this is a memoir of one of her foster children. What sets this apart from the rest is that Watson isn't dealing with a troubled kid.

Cameron, the titular boy who
Hayley Nisbet
Sep 21, 2013 Hayley Nisbet rated it it was amazing
I decided to read this book because it have never read a book based on a true story before and this book looked like a lovely one to read.

On the bingo board this book comes under- a book based on a true story. This makes it interesting because it means it has happened and you can relate to it more because you know it is reality for some people and it does happen.

My favourite quote from this book is the very last part in the book and the last line in the thank you card that Cameron sends back and
Meghan Bauer
Aug 12, 2013 Meghan Bauer rated it it was ok
This was a short (seriously, really short) story.

Two foster parents take in a blind teenage boy for the weekend while his grandmother is in the hospital.

Just a little snippet of a life. They learn a bit about blindness. They learn from each other....maybe. It's really hard to tell.
At the end the mother (who is the narrator) lists what they all learned but there isn't much weight to it. It just feels like an addendum.

The narration didn't really impress me. I would have rather had a different view
Lori
Sep 19, 2013 Lori rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
hard to know how to rate this "book" Casey Watson is a "carer" in Britain. the first section is about a 14 year old blind teenager her family took for a weekend while his grandparents are unable to care for him. this is the only "full" story you will get in this "book" I got on my e-reader.
the rest are snippets and advertisement for all her other books she wrote. we get about one chapter of each book leading up to when they actually foster the kids. I guess she has written five books by now. I
Maui
Dec 17, 2015 Maui rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, non-fiction
A very short story from Casey Watson.

Two foster parents takes in a sixteen year old blind guy named Cameron. He was sure as lovely as what the author described in the book. Cameron was taken in to Casey's house, (a foster parent) because his grandmother got sick. Casey was asked to let Cameron stay over the weekend because his grandfather will accompany his wife.

If this is really a 'true' story, it's beautiful. You know, for a sixteen year old six feet tall, Cameron is a smart guy. How I wish, t
Mom
Jun 06, 2013 Mom rated it did not like it
Shelves: karen-s-kindle
I wish I had read the reviews before reading this - it is like 5 stories in one book. It is about being a foster care provider. So each time you get all the details about which kids are coming into their home but then it says "buy rest of book" if you want to find out what happens. When you start reading the next chapter, it will reference about the child they helped in the previous book but no details are given of what they did. It just begins to tell you the scenario of what child they will ...more
Julie scott
Jul 22, 2013 Julie scott rated it really liked it
This short novel was the shortest I have read & i'v read quite a few short stories. This story was very different to Casey's other books this 14 yr old boy is blind, polite & very well mannered & has no issues & comes from a good home. Cameron just needs to stay with Casey and her family for a few days while his elderly grandmother is in hospital. I enjoyed this story & mostly is a feel good novel!!!
Natasha
Jun 06, 2013 Natasha rated it it was ok
Hmm what to say? The story is okay, it's nice but could have been so much more. It is indeed a very short story which was a surprise as I wasn't expecting most of the book to be excepts from other books. The story itself is about a foster family and a boy staying with them for a few days.

Its sweet and heartwarming but the writer could have gone into much more detail and made it a much better read. I'm sure the impact the boy left on her deserves much more than a few pages.
Angel **Book Junkie**
Jul 29, 2013 Angel **Book Junkie** rated it did not like it
Novella/Short Story Ratings
Book 1 Star

Another marketing ploy to get you to buy more books. I think the author is brilliant but I hate ploys to get you to buy a story by only placing a little bit of a book and then telling me to buy the next one. I will go and read some of the other stories but not because I liked this at all. The idea seems heartwarming and I wanted to read it but it will be a while before I do read more because I am so angry at this marketing ploy.
Jen Lynn
When they say this is a short book, they are not kidding. I kept waiting for something to happen, but then the book just ended. It was a light read, kinda heartwarming, but way too short to be enjoyable. There just wasn't much there for substance. It reminded me of someone telling a short ten minute story to friends. It was just too short to give me much to get excited about.
Elizabeth
Jul 21, 2013 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
This was a very sweet story. It goes to show, we never konw what the outcome of our choices will be and we never know how letting someone into our life can bless us. The author is a foster parent and was asked to take care of a blind teenager for a short time while his grandparents were unable to care for him. its a short story, but very touching.
Cinthia
Aug 11, 2013 Cinthia rated it it was ok
Not at all whar I expected this book to be. Although it makes you want to read rhe rest of her books the many parts from all of the books was not what I expected. She should have had several different stories about the same boy or a few different boys.
Leanne Keenoo
May 13, 2013 Leanne Keenoo rated it liked it
Hmmm the story itself was ok. Nothing special. Same old foster mum does good type of thing but what disappointed me was that the actual story was like ten minutes long then the rest of the 'book' was excerpts from the authors other books.
But hey, it was free so shouldn't complain really
Maryellen
Jan 02, 2014 Maryellen rated it liked it
Inspiring short story

The only issue I had with this short story was that I wasn't sure where this story ended because it didn't have a clear ending and snippets for her other books followed. However, I may get her other titles as well. It was a good story and well written.
Barbara
May 25, 2013 Barbara rated it it was ok
When they said 'short story' they really meant it! I kept looking for more pages but there were none. It seems like a good story line but it was finished when it first started. OK, it was five pages long.
Angie Cooke
May 29, 2013 Angie Cooke rated it it was amazing
a quick short read, very enjoyable, shame it wasn't longer, the key characters, ie the foster carers had their eyes opened to how mean and ignorant people can be when it comes to disabilities, the boy himself was used to it sadly yet it all came together nicely.
Hyacinth
Sep 17, 2013 Hyacinth rated it liked it
This short inspirational read champions the human heart of compassion. Thank God there are people that still care about children and this is Casey's story of her charge. It also includes excerpts from her other books.
Christina
Apr 24, 2014 Christina rated it liked it
very disappointing because I no sooner got interested in the story wanting more and the author left me hanging. For this book was hothing but a collection if excerpts of hrr other books. Purely misleading.
Theresa
Apr 21, 2014 Theresa rated it liked it
Book?

Book?

This wasn't a typical book but excerpts of many books.It was well written but not really the type of book I like to read.
Heather Berkowitz
this was free and I still feel jipped. this story was like 5 pages and the reat was excerpts from other books. bummer.
Shelby  Bagby
Oct 01, 2015 Shelby Bagby rated it liked it
This book was just too too short for me. I felt it deserved a whole story even though they only kept him for three days.
Denisele
Jul 09, 2013 Denisele rated it it was ok
Much shorter than I expected. The premise was all well and good, but it just didn't feel complete for some reason.
Emma Dupont
Jul 17, 2013 Emma Dupont rated it really liked it
I was expecting a little more from this. There are more extracts from other books than content to the story with Cameron. What there was of a story was well written and interesting.
Joyce
Oct 16, 2013 Joyce rated it did not like it
Disappointed. This book is a bunch of short stories to promote buying other books written by the author.
Soph
Jun 08, 2013 Soph rated it liked it
When I went to read this short story, I didn't realise it was that short. Nice and heart felt. the story is only about 16% of the book, with the rest a chapter of another book the other has written.
Mel
Aug 29, 2014 Mel rated it liked it
Having read all of Casey's other books it was nice to see them have a fun few days. Not sure why this short story has it's own book when it would have been nice in one of her other books as a bonus.
Bonnie
Aug 20, 2014 Bonnie rated it did not like it
strangest "book" i have ever read. The rest seemed to be advertisements so I did not read them. So disappointed.
Michelle
Sep 10, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-completed
Very quick read. I wouldn't mind hearing more of Cameron's new home and what happened with his grandparents.
  • The Shelter (A Short Story)
  • Escorts and Thieves
  • The Girl in the Mirror
  • Stolen in the Night: The True Story of a Family's Murder, a Kidnapping and the Child Who Survived
  • The Reverse Commute
  • A Small Boy's Cry
  • Bedtime Erotica
  • Olive Branches Don't Grow On Trees
  • What Daddy Did: The Shocking True Story of a Little Girl Betrayed
  • The Cowboy's Wish
  • Doggone Dead (Betsy Livingston / Pecan Bayou #3)
  • Talk Me Down From The Edge
  • Another F-Word
  • Kinked Sober: An Erotic BDSM Novel of Recovery
  • Onyx Moon (Prides of the Moon, #4)

“Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. Mark Twain” 0 likes