Start by marking “The Shift” as Want to Read:
The Shift

The Shift

Michael White is a man desperate to escape his past. After tragedy costs him his job and marriage, he finds himself abandoned in a world of depression, loneliness and unemployment – until a new start working at a luxurious care home is offered.

But Hill Wood House isn’t like any other care home. What are the shadowy figures that follow Michael? What do they want? And beyon
Published May 10th 2013 by Double Dragon Publishing (first published May 9th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Shift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shift

Chibineko
May 15, 2013 Chibineko rated it really liked it
Shelves: creepy
I've been a fan of Dodwell's for a while now, ever since I was able to read a copy of her first book The Banishing. Which, I might add, is a creepy little read that I wholly recommend. There's this wonderful creepiness about her work that reminds me of some of the better pulp horror novels I'd read as a teen. You know the type, the ones that tried to play more heavily on the most basic fears and leave you feeling fairly uneasy- the ones that aren't always guaranteed to end with the main ...more
Yawatta Hosby
Jul 19, 2013 Yawatta Hosby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
***I received a free book in exchange for a review***

I loved this 45 chapter book. The opening line in the prologue, He leaned forward pressing his face close to her mouth and listened, waiting for breath that would not come, had me hooked. My other favorite lines: 1) Time isn’t the healer it’s promised to be. 2) “God you’re infuriatingly naive, Michael. I can’t decide whether it’s cute or annoying.” 3) It all looked so…normal, so real. Yet the thoughts of what had happened to him were floating
Su Halfwerk
May 29, 2013 Su Halfwerk rated it it was amazing
A horrible incident costs Michael White his job, the shame that comes with it leaves him in a desperately depressing mood. His past (negative) work experience doesn't help him while looking for another job...that is until he comes to Hill Wood House, a posh private facility where the rich deposit their 'differently abled' loved ones.
And that's where the real downward spiral of Michael's life begins.

The art of painting eerily dark atmosphere in a book is one of Ms. Dodwell's fortes. I was submerg
Annabel
May 21, 2013 Annabel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
First of all let me tell you that I absolutely loved the banishing by this author. It was a great Horror novel, that left me breathless and scared. I like a good scare every once in a while.

So when I started reading this book I expected the same thing, and if you ask me she did an amazing job! I loved this book, it was scary, it had creepy parts and to be honest I didn’t see this ending coming.

The book kept me wondering about what was going on, I didn’t dare to go to the toilet when I read the b
Cathy
Aug 23, 2016 Cathy rated it liked it
I initially picked up this book after reading Fiona Dodwell's short story which was included in the Eight Deadly Kisses anthology. I loved the synopsis and, although I thought the price was a little ambitious, I was set to be blown away.

What I actually received was a pretty entertaining story, but my reading pleasure was spoilt by the fact that the book doesn't seem to have been edited at all. We have spelling errors, occasions where the wrong word has been used (ie: 'site' instead of 'sight'),
Vickie Rae
Vickie Rae rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2015
Fiona Dodwell
May 10, 2013 Fiona Dodwell added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Danielatolkien
Danielatolkien marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2013
Paul G
Paul G marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2013
WendyB
WendyB marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2013
christina cooper
christina cooper marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
Janie C.
Janie C. marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Keith Norman
Keith Norman marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Fiona Dodwell lives in the UK with her husband. She has studied Theology, Drama, Psychology and Film studies.

She is extremely passionate about horror - both in film and literature - and began writing at an early age.

She has written for Paranormal Underground, Supernatural Magazine, Pinched Literary and completed a writing Internship with Tremr.

Her novel, The Banishing, was Fiona's first full le
More about Fiona Dodwell...