Start by marking “Das Bett-Buch” as Want to Read:
Das Bett-Buch

Sylvia Plath

Das Bett-Buch

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  177 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Contains a catalogue of desirable beds, ranging from an elephant bed for hot weather to a tank bed which can travel anywhere and a bouncable bed - surely the most desirable of all - which can bounce you "over the moon to Timbuktoo". By the author of "Ariel" and "The Bell Jar".
Published (first published January 1st 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Das Bett-Buch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Das Bett-Buch

Miriam
This was a favorite bed time read, many years before I ever knew anything else by or about Sylvia Plath. I so wanted one of these magical beds, especially the submarine bed or the snack bed or the flying bed or... well, they're all pretty awesome. Plath even made the hammock sound special and enticing.

Zaheer Khan
Great imagination!

Most Beds are Beds
For sleeping or resting
But the best Beds are much
More interesting

If we have nothing better
To do
A Facebook Bed
Is for me and for you

This lovely little bed
Is specially for you
If you check Facebook mobile
Every minute or two

With its four wheels
You may even move around
You can chatter or clatter
Or change your background

If you post braggy updates
In an effort to woo
Then the Facebook Bed
Is the place for Hullabaloo

A Facebook Bed
Has a touch screen
That yo...more
Lisa Vegan
Mar 09, 2012 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bedtime and any time reading
Recommended to Lisa by: Miriam
Yes, this is by THE Sylvia Plath, but it’s one I’d never heard of until recently. I’m glad her children had/have it. It shows another side of her, and I think shows what a fun mother and person she could be, and just highlights the waste that was her premature death. Now, her poem on its own is whimsical and fun. But for me what makes this book and the wonderful illustrations. They bring the poem’s words to life. Very enjoyable! This would make a fine bedtime book, as long as the little ones are...more
Janet Ford Ford
This was my all time favorite picture book as a child. Unfortunately it has been out of print since 1989, so copies are hard to come by. Sylvia Plath also wrote the Bell Jar and rumor has it she wrote this book for her own children.

The book is filled with the most fantastic descriptions and illustrations of beds built for outlandish adventures, fantasies, and dreams. It just really sets a child up to have beautiful dreams.

If it were still in print, I'd give a copy at every baby shower I attend...more
David Gallagher
Wonder if Dallas Clayton's An Awesome Book was inspired by this - they share similarities in content and style. I can just imagine kid Dallas falling asleep to this book; as, I'm sure, have tens of other children. Also reminded me of Dr. Seuss at times - lightly. Gorgeous text to match gorgeous illustration - Plath can do just anything.
Mike
Dec 30, 2012 Mike rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mike by: Shannon
Shelves: poetry, shannon
As read by Shannon. Excellent! ;)
Tino Prinzi
This is literally only one poem, but the illustrations add much to the poem. A very quick, enjoyable read. Definitely one to find in the library like I have rather than purchase.
Gina Morgan
As a child, delightful. As an adult, the sort of thing I will one day read to my children.

A charming verse that is thoroughly readable but never twee or overtly predictable, unlike lots of verse for children. I especially like the use of internal rhyme and half-rhyme, a quality she brought to her adult work that I'm pleased to see mirrored her pieces for young audiences.
Mme. Bookling ~
One of my dearest friends bought me this book as a gift. It is a first edition of Sylvia Plath's children's books. It was so well-written and surprising. I often mistakenly make the very error Plath was seeking to correct in that I put her in a box of darkness. She was such a multi-faceted woman, full of whimsy and genius. I feel she and I will become very good friends.
Carol
The above is not the edititon I have. My edition was illustrated by Emily Arnold McCully and is the first American edition of 1976. Condition is poor, many page have crayon markings. Owned by Elizabeth B. Coyne and Caragh M. Mclaughlin.
Lucy
I didn't know Sylvia Plath wrote children's stories! The poem/story was fun and imaginative, but what really caught my attention was the warm and whimsical illustrations by Emily Arnold McCully.
Shannon
Best Christmas present ever!!;) I love Sylvia Plath and this book showed me a different side of her. Great children's book, but I also enjoyed it as an adult.

Thanks, Michael. ;)
Clementine
Plath mystique aside, this is an imaginative book. The rhythm is surprisingly stumbly at times but still makes it fun.
Susan Klemetti
My favorite growing up, I hope to share it with my little one soon. Which bed is your favorite?
evie
One of my favourites when I was a wee bairn. I wanted the submarine bed desperately.
Alisa Roukema
Alisa Roukema marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Esthergreenwood
Esthergreenwood marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Pixie
Pixie marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Ahmad Zaki
Ahmad Zaki marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Sanna
Sanna added it
Sep 13, 2014
  • The Haunting of Sylvia Plath
  • The Goodnight Train
  • Ariel's Gift: Ted Hughes, Sylvia Plath, and the Story of Birthday Letters
  • Lover of Unreason: Assia Wevill, Sylvia Plath's Rival and Ted Hughes' Doomed Love
  • The Mitten: An Old Ukrainian Folktale
  • American Isis: The Life and Art of Sylvia Plath
  • A House Is a House for Me
  • Her Husband: Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath - A Marriage
  • Your Own, Sylvia: A Verse Portrait of Sylvia Plath
  • Fairy Tales
  • The World is Round (Little Barefoot Books)
  • Bringing the Rain to Kapiti Plain: A Nandi Tale
  • William's Doll
  • The Death and Life of Sylvia Plath
  • Art
  • On Meadowview Street
  • The Silent Woman: Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes
  • The Happy Day
Sylvia Plath was an American poet, novelist, and short story writer.

Known primarily for her poetry, Plath also wrote a semi-autobiographical novel, The Bell Jar, under the pseudonym Victoria Lucas. The book's protagonist, Esther Greenwood, is a bright, ambitious student at Smith College who begins to experience a mental breakdown while interning for a fashion magazine in New York. The plot paralle...more
More about Sylvia Plath...
The Bell Jar Ariel The Collected Poems The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath The Colossus and Other Poems