Start by marking “Plainly Murder (Amish Quilt Shop Mystery #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Plainly Murder (Amish Quilt Shop Mystery #0.5)

Plainly Murder (Amish Quilt Shop Mystery .5)

Welcome to Rolling Brook, Ohio, a quaint Amish community where life is less tranquil than it seems.

Angela Braddock has come to Rolling Brook to lend a hand at her Aunt Eleanor’s traditional Amish quilt shop. But when Eleanor’s quilting circle mourns the loss of their oldest member, Evelyn, they make a startling discovery about a tragic event in Evelyn’s past. More than a d
Published August 6th 2013 by NAL

To ask other readers questions about Plainly Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plainly Murder

Lori Henrich
Jan 27, 2015 Lori Henrich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Angela (Angie) has come to visit her Aunt Eleanor, who has cancer. Visiting a sick Aunt isn't unusual on its own, but when that Aunt happens to be Amish it does pose some challenges. Angela is familiar with the Amish somewhat, because she stayed with her Aunt and Uncle when she was a child. Eleanor owns and runs the quilt shop in town and taught her niece how to quilt during her former visits.

While visiting Eleanor asks Angie to help her with a dear friends final request. Evelyn wanted Eleanor
OpenBookSociety.com
Mar 15, 2015 OpenBookSociety.com rated it really liked it
Shelves: jeanie

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Jeanie

Plainly Murder, a prequel novella in the Amish Quilt Shop Mysteries, is a delightful introduction to Angie Braddock, her Texan English bulldog pup Oliver, and her Aunt Eleanor and her friends in Rolling Brook, Ohio. Eleanor had converted to the Amish church when marrying the love of her life and had no children of her own. Eleanor owned a quilting shop, Running Stitch, for many years. When growing up, Angie spent summer
Jane
Sep 28, 2016 Jane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: myst, on-kindle
I need some boots!
Suzanne
Sep 11, 2016 Suzanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery, ohio, pets, craft
This was a nice little novella that set the stage for the up coming series of the Amish Quilt Series.

It starts by introducing you to Angie Braddock, who is visiting her favorite Aunt Eleanor in the Amish region of Ohio. Angie lived in Rolling Brook until she was 10 and her family moved to Dallas.

Her Aunt married an Amish man and converted to the Amish religion and way of life. While on this visit an old friend of Eleanor's has passed away and in her will has asked her to deliver a quilt to her d
Julie Graves
Jan 05, 2016 Julie Graves rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
In this novella we are introduced to Angie and her aunt Eleanor. Angie used to come to the Amish community that her aunt lives in years before when she was a child. Now Angie is grown up and engaged to be married. Aunt Eleanor is ill and Angie has come to see her. When Eleanor's quilting group gather together talk turns to the recent death of one of their friends. Evelyn has commissioned Eleanor to deliver a quilt to another woman and to find out what happened to Evelyn's son many years before. ...more
Debbie
Jan 13, 2014 Debbie rated it it was amazing
"Plainly Murder: A Penguin Special from Obsidian" by Isabella Alan is a five star book. Isabella Alan is the pseudonym for Amanda Flower. It is an Amish story but even if you don't like reading Amish stories you would like this one!
Angela Braddock is at her Aunt Eleanor’s traditional Amish quilt shop on a visit from New York when her Aunt gives her a quilt to give to another lady and asks her to found out what really happened to the lady's son fifteen years ago.
The other lady refuses to accept
❂ Jennifer
I pre-ordered the first book in this series, Murder, Plain and Simple, so when I saw this release I grabbed it, eager for an introduction to the characters and setting.

This felt longer than most of the in-between novellas I've read and definitely a bit more involved. Was Eric pushed or did he fall from the roof during a barn raising 15 years ago? It's a very straight forward mystery, as it needs to be in it's shorter format. As such, the suspects are few and the outcome somewhat predictable. But
D.J.
Oct 23, 2014 D.J. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews

Amanda Flower…ahem Isabella Alan has written an amazing prequel for a new Amish mystery series!

I have just finished reading Plainly Murder… and I discovered the strangest thing…

It didn’t read at all like the other mysteries I’ve been reading –- of course, I’ve been reading mysteries by Amanda Flower, and this one is by Isabella Alan ;)

How did she do that!!!

Well… however she did it -– it was great!

I can honestly say I enjoyed it from beginning to end… and can’t wait to begin reading Murder, Plai
Grey853
Aug 05, 2015 Grey853 rated it liked it
Dharia Scarab
Nov 04, 2014 Dharia Scarab rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle

4 sta
Debra
Aug 07, 2013 Debra rated it liked it
An introductory novella for a new Holmes County mystery series by Isabella Alan (aka Amanda Flower.) Interesting characters with possibilities, good sense of a familiar place. I did have problems believing the premise, but it is hard enough to introduce a new series in short form fiction that I will give it a pass this time. Looking forward to the novel length title due out in a couple weeks.
Aug 07, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing
A quick ebook read to introduce us to Angie and the rest of the characters from Rolling Brook! It gives some background and context to Murder, Plain and Simple which is the official 1st book in the series which I read last week from NetGalley.

I don't want to give too much away but it was a quick mystery read where Angie and her aunt try to solve an old murder.
May 31, 2014 Sarah rated it did not like it
Now why did I pick this up? Did he fall or was he pushed? There's hardly any story in it, just quaint people in an interesting setting and an extremely predictable end. It must be for quilt-lovers or Amish-curious only, but it doesn't encourage me to read any more of the series: I need more to get my teeth into!
Christy
Jan 22, 2016 Christy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amish, novella, mystery
Glad I didn't start with this one when I read the rest in the series. This author puts Angie's dog Oliver right up there with the worst for me. There's nothing this dog can't do and it's so silly and unbelievable and completely over-done!! This read is not very Amish. Cooper certainly not Amish. I have however enjoyed the series that came before this novella. I usually skip the dog paragraphs.
Marilyn Slusher
Nov 21, 2015 Marilyn Slusher rated it liked it
A prequel to this series. The story was great until the ending. I found the ending to be too abrupt. This might have been a better novel so that the characters could be developed and the story read smoother. This won't stop me from trying the series.
Michele
Jan 15, 2015 Michele rated it really liked it
This is a prequel to the Amish Quilt Shop Mystery series. It really isn't necessary to read this before reading the others. It introduces the characters before Angela moves to Rolling Brook and inherits her aunt's quilt shop.
Jewett
Sep 21, 2015 Jewett rated it really liked it
Shelves: nook
Love this series. The characters are really good especially the animals. The Amish angle is well done and I love the quilting part. If you like cozy mysteries, this series is good.
Connie Blackstone
Light Read For Fun

A quick read of fiction combining Amish, quilts, and murder in Ohio. A little too basic for me. Good beach read.
Amy
Nov 06, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery, amish, 2013
This was a great short story! Sucked me in right from the first line and I can't wait to start the first book in the series later today!! :)
Lana Yolanda
Lana Yolanda rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Lois Williams
Lois Williams rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2015
Theresa
Theresa rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2015
Lynne
Lynne rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2015
Bobbi Doll
Bobbi Doll rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2014
Janet S
Janet S rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2015
Deb Saunders
Deb Saunders rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2016
Ploysang
Ploysang rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2013
Virginia
Virginia rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2015
Sandra J. Harris
Sandra J. Harris rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2014
Robynn
Robynn rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Assaulted Pretzel (An Amish Mystery, #2)
  • Material Witness (Shipshewana Amish Mystery #3)
  • Plain Pursuit
  • Murder Hooks a Mermaid (A Haunted Souvenir Shop Mystery #2)
  • Upon a Winter's Night (Home Valley, #4)
  • Spinning in Her Grave (A Haunted Yarn Shop Mystery #3)
  • Pinned for Murder (A Southern Sewing Circle, #3)
  • A Plain Scandal (Appleseed Creek, #2)
  • A Little Bit of Charm (New Beginnings, #3)
  • Paper-Thin Alibi (Craft Corner, #3)
  • Dire Threads (Threadville Mystery, #1)
  • Home by Dark (Watcher in the Dark #1)
  • A Quilt for Jenna (Apple Creek Dreams, #1)
  • A Fitting End (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #2)
  • Christmas in Apple Ridge: Three-in-One Collection: The Sound of Sleigh Bells, The Christmas Singing, The Dawn of Christmas
6519005
Isabella Alan is the pseudonym for Amanda Flower, an Agatha-nominated mystery author, started her writing career in elementary school when she read a story she wrote to her sixth grade class and had the class in stitches with her description of being stuck on the top of a Ferris wheel. She knew at that moment she’d found her calling of making people laugh with her words. Her debut mystery, Maid of ...more
More about Isabella Alan...

Amish Quilt Shop Mystery (5 books)
  • Murder, Plain and Simple (Amish Quilt Shop Mystery #1)
  • Murder, Simply Stitched (Amish Quilt Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Murder, Served Simply (Amish Quilt Shop Mystery #3)
  • Murder, Plainly Read (Amish Quilt Shop Mystery #4)
  • Murder, Handcrafted (Amish Quilt Shop Mystery #5)