Start by marking “Confined” as Want to Read:
Confined

Confined

Alone, locked up in a room, enclosed by four gray walls, a woman scratches a hole in the wall, and tries to escape. In the ventilation system, hidden, a camera. On the other end of the camera, her husband; her captor. She is his desaparecida.

In Confined, Elena Reyes de Basigalupo tries to survive starvation, isolation and insanity after she is locked-up in an attic by her
Paperback, second, 232 pages
Published May 2013 by ahadada books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Confined, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confined

Kaora
Aug 15, 2013 Kaora rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book through Goodreads First Reads.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was difficult to get into at first as there is a lot of Spanish and rather than translating everything the author allows you to fill in the blanks to an extent. However, suddenly I was drawn into the story and found it a lot easier to read.

This book is well written, and the author does a great job of portraying the anguish and joy that the characters experience. This book reveals many things I did not realize h
Debbie
Jul 28, 2013 Debbie rated it it was amazing
This was a very powerful and moving book.
I began 'Confined' with little knowledge of life in Argentina during the second half of the 20th century, and found it very discomforting to learn of the instability and horrors taking place daily in Argentina, while my 'ordinary' and safe life in Australia was so peaceful.
Mariana Dietl shows many points-of-view of Elena de Reyes Basigolupo's life story - her family members, her friends, acquaintances - some brave, some cowardly, some rich, some poor, so
Ira Therebel
Jun 09, 2013 Ira Therebel rated it really liked it
In this book we get to know the story of a woman kept in captivity by her military husband in the late 70's in Argentina. As we see her captivity was not only when she was locked in the small room but pretty much throughout her life

Just like Elena, the readers are also clueless in the beginning. We don't know what happened with her and what the story is.But with each chapter we get new parts of the puzzle that towards the end of the book show us the whole picture.

I liked many elements of the boo
Linda Marie Marsh
May 11, 2015 Linda Marie Marsh rated it really liked it
An intriguing, deeply moving novel that follows a womans confinement, held captive by her own husband - a high ranking official in Argentina.
All i ever knew of the country was the story of Eva Peron...this is a different viewpoint. This is Elena's story and it is also a political one, an eye-opening one.
Not an easy breezy book for sure, but well worth reading.
Gill
Jul 05, 2013 Gill rated it really liked it
Interesting, disturbing, tragic. A tragic heroine or a spoilt child? I'm not sure. A brute? but why? This book made me think again about why relationships become abusive. I found the insights into Argentinian politics and thinking fascinating and enjoyed the 'interview' technique employed in parts. All in all a good read that makes you think.
Christine Palau
Christine Palau rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2015
Carol Ann
Carol Ann rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2013
Don Kelly
Don Kelly rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2013
Sonia
Sonia marked it as to-read
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Darlene Howard
Darlene Howard marked it as to-read
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Lisa Ann (Ketsy)
Lisa Ann (Ketsy) marked it as to-read
May 15, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Rupa
Rupa marked it as to-read
Kirsty
Kirsty marked it as to-read
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
♥Scout Paige♥
♥Scout Paige♥ marked it as to-read
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Melissa Herston
Melissa Herston marked it as to-read
Sherri
Sherri marked it as to-read
Barry
Barry marked it as to-read
Eileen
Eileen marked it as to-read
Cindy Gates
Cindy Gates marked it as to-read
Patricia Bergman
Patricia Bergman marked it as to-read
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Rebecca Supinger
Rebecca Supinger marked it as to-read
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Yasaman
Yasaman marked it as to-read
Kim Coomey
Kim Coomey marked it as to-read
Laurie Bok
Laurie Bok marked it as to-read
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Maureen
Maureen marked it as to-read
May 16, 2013
  • When Dreams Touch
  • The Woman Who Sparked the Greatest Sex Scandal of All Time
  • Travel Wings: An Adventure
  • Privileged Lives
  • Invaders in Our Town: The Battle of Gettysburg Through the Eyes of Some Who Lived It
  • Das finstere Tal
  • India Was One
  • West of Arabia: A Journey Home
  • Survivor's Game (Holocaust - World War II)
  • The Dragon in Me
  • Sumo
  • Running A Web Design Business From Home: How To Get Clients, Keep Good Clients and Make Money with Your Home Business
  • Conceptualizing and measuring human anxiety on the Internet
  • 100 Little Words on Parenthood - As Told by Parents, Grandparents & Experts
  • Drinking History: Fifteen Turning Points in the Making of American Beverages
  • A Thousand Tiny Cracks
  • Willy White Wings: Willy White Wings
  • There
4196797
Mariana Dietl is an Argentine-American writer with a major in International Relations from St. Andrew’s University in Argentina. She worked for Clarín, the leading newspaper in that country, and for the Argentine Consulate in Los Angeles, as Chief Communications Officer. She studied creative writing at UCLA Extension and at Beyond Baroque Literary Arts Center. Her novel, Confined (The Litchfield ...more
More about Mariana Dietl...