Start by marking “Alabama Summer” as Want to Read:
Alabama Summer

Alabama Summer

Chase and Jimmy have been a couple for years. When age begins to take a toll on Jimmy’s mother, both men head down to Jimmy’s native Alabama to help her out. They understand that they are walking into a town firmly planted in the Bible Belt, where Jimmy stayed in the closet because of his fear of judgment. But they don’t understand just how bad it can get, and how it will ...more
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 125 pages
Published May 4th 2013 by C.K. Alexander

To ask other readers questions about Alabama Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alabama Summer

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
FREE again on Amazon right NOW 8/23/13!

I decided to take a chance on this self-published book with no reviews here or on Amazon for no other reason other than... well... it was free. I don't turn down free M/M unless it is really really bad. I expected mediocrity but, to my shock, this book was not bad at all. In fact, it was really really good.

Chase and Jimmy have been a couple for 10 years, since their college days. They live together blissfully in the North East but when Jimmy's mom falls il
Adrianamae, Marco's fan
unabashedly sentimental and emotional, and quite an easy read to wile the hours away. It isn't perfect, especially for the ever constant change in POV, but it's a good read with likable characters, and a Steel Magnolia, Southern mother who won my heart.
Debra
May 16, 2013 Debra rated it really liked it
Since this was a freebie on Amazon I figured why not. So glad I did.

I really enjoyed the story of Jimmy returning to his Alabama hometown, where nobody he grew up with knew he was gay before he left, with Chase, his partner of 10 years, to help care for his sick mother. Jimmy's mother never approved of the fact that he was gay. Chase has always been out and accepted by his family. Jimmy's difficulty in reconciling his past with the man he has become since meeting Chase leads to both men having
Tami (synchro from BL)
Jun 07, 2013 Tami (synchro from BL) rated it it was amazing
I liked this book very, very much.

It is a quite simple story about a gay couple who travel to one MCs little hometown in Alabama, because his mother is ailing. What made it a great read was not the totally original or fascinating plot, but the great writing and very solid development in this story.
Both MCs were interesting and interacted in a realistic way. It had hot sex and realistic conversations. I just loved how the mother was portrayed. She was not ok with her son being gay, but she came
Cindi
Full review with spoilers can be found at On Top Down Under Book Reviews.

I am making a decision not to rate this book. I went into it knowing that I would probably have issues with the way my state is depicted so rating it would not be fair. However, I am giving my opinions of the story as a whole.

If you're looking for a book that has almost every single incorrect stereotype about the state of Alabama, I highly recommend this book. If you are interested in a book set in my state that is actuall
Sandra
Short glimpse into their lives, rushed ending. This could have been sooo much better if the author had taken just a little bit more time to develop the plot. The ending felt way too rushed, and Jimmy's sudden epiphany seemed like he made a 180 after being forced out of the closet.

I liked Chase a lot better than Jimmy, though I could understand Jimmy's motives in keeping the relationship secret. His actions just were very hurtful to his partner of 10 years.

It's a quick read. The plot covers jus
Mandapanda
Solid novella about Jimmy and Chase whose relationship hits a bump in the road when they have to return to Jimmy's prejudiced hometown to care for his ailing mother. This story has a nice touch of realism and sympathetic characters. Even though Jimmy is weak in the way he faces his past, his fears are understandable and Chase is solid as a rock all the way through. Some sudden POV switches had me scratching my head trying to figure out who was talking. I think the dementia angle was a bit close ...more
Bee
2.5 stars. I got this book as a freebie, and I probably wouldn’t have read it under any other circumstances, mostly because I’m not a big fan of established relationship stories. The drama is always a little too heavy for me in those books, while they’re missing that wonderful belly-fluttering feeling of falling in love, which is my favorite thing in romance, next to a good dose of UST (something that’s also missing from most Established Relationship-stories). And so it’s perhaps not so strange ...more
Fangtasia
Aug 01, 2013 Fangtasia rated it it was ok
One of the main plot points for this story is something that hits way too close to home for me. Should have read the blurb with more care, if I'd known this was an important element of this book, I wouldn't have read it.

Beyond that, this is tolerably well-written, though I had some issues with a few things. For one, the characters behave childishly for their age, or the timeline is incorrect. They are supposed to have met in college and been together for 10 years, which puts them at around 28-32
Nancy Carbajal
May 22, 2013 Nancy Carbajal rated it liked it
My only problem with this story is I wished that it had covered the issues a little bit more. Jimmy goes home to his small Alabama town to see how his mother is doing. Jimmy brings along his lover and longtime companion of 10 years Chase. Problems arise because Jimmy's mother is doing worse than thought of and she does not approve of her sons life choice. Worse, Jimmy has not been exactly forthcoming to his old friends about Chase. Will Jimmy be able to be strong enough to deal with his mothers ...more
Roxane
Sep 28, 2014 Roxane rated it really liked it
4.25 Stars

It's been a while since I've read a book with characters as realistic as these. Jimmy's promptness to quick anger and his tendency to run away from fights, the way Eva is at the same time open-minded and close-minded, her quick mind but her unwillingness to acknowledge the failings of her body... Nobody is entirely black or white, good or bad, and the author does a really great job of showing the different facets of what a multidimensional character is. (I didn't mention Chase up the
Edina Rose
Loved it! I'm not even sad I missed the promotion! It's quite realistic and I liked the characters and all. This is HOW I WANT TO SEE WOMEN REPRESENTED IN MM ROMANCE!!! The ex is hurt but she's not a bitch, the woman is old fashioned and does not understand but she's human and she meets the guys halfway.
T. Smith
Sep 08, 2013 T. Smith rated it really liked it
Jimmy hasn’t much been home in over ten years, but now he’s headed there to visit his ailing mother with his boyfriend, Chase, in tow. When Jimmy graduated high school he couldn’t get out of Alabama fast enough. Surrounded by hatred and ignorance he always hid his sexuality, and to this day no one but his mother knows the truth about Jimmy and Chase.

Jimmy’s mom is very old fashioned, even giving them the “you can’t sleep in the same bedroom!” ultimatum. Her and Chase take to each other immediat
jagr9563
Jan 02, 2014 jagr9563 rated it liked it
Corie
Aug 04, 2013 Corie rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I saw this book while searching free romances with a rating above 3 stars on Amazon. It was hidden amongst Austen and Bronte classics. There was only one review at the time, but it was 4 stars. I figured I'd try it because the reviewer looked legit...and ok, cute guys on the cover. I stayed up all night reading it, and then woke my daughter to tell her about the story just so I could stay in the book after I finished it. I loved Jimmy and Chase, their love was shown so well, that my heart broke ...more
Carson hall
Aug 23, 2013 Carson hall rated it it was amazing
This book shows the struggles of a young man who returns home to Alabama to take care of his ill mother. He brings his partner of 10 years with him, and isn't all that happy about letting his old high school crowd know that he is gay. His partner becomes upset because he isn't ready to let anyone know yet because he grew up in a small town. I felt for both the men because I can understand what they are both feeling.

Very enjoyable with nice adult scenes. One reviewer on Amazon said that the book
Maria
Oct 13, 2015 Maria rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
A freebie that I enjoyed very much. Even though I'm not a huge fan of established couples these two felt very real and their problems and pains were understandable and oh so good in all the right places. And the chemistry was off the charts!

My only issue was the overly frequent change of POV. It happened so often and without further indication, I had some serious problems keeping track on who was "in charge". But all in all it was a great debut and I liked it very much.
Viv Ross
May 21, 2014 Viv Ross rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, kindle-amazon
Decent read, little bit of an emotional roller-coaster, and a near-perfect ending.

I didn't really take the setting into much account. Some people write realistic fiction, some write non-realistic fiction, and some just kind of make up their own little corner of this world. *shrug* It drove the storyline.
Donnerhall
Sep 30, 2013 Donnerhall rated it really liked it
Really good and honest writing. The characters were extremely well written, realistic and true to their background. I am impressed by the quality of this first published work by Alexander.

I didn't like the POV switching, even Monica got in there which was just strange.

I'll buy the next one from this author without hesitation. It can only get better and it was SO good already!
Manuela
Oct 09, 2015 Manuela rated it it was amazing
Omg, this was heart wrenching, sweet and emotional engaging. To be openly gay works not everywhere and those who have spent most of their lives in closets have a different connection to their families and home towns. One has to walk in their shoes to understand, but they have to make a decision one day if they want to live their life without regret and shame.
Sam
May 18, 2013 Sam rated it really liked it
Like many others I bought that for free and I totally loved it! Chase definitely is a keeper and I'm glad that this book already has so many fans out there!
It just shows that there are people that care. I loved this story!!!
Ely
Jun 20, 2013 Ely rated it it was ok
The constant shift of POV and the sudden immaturity of the one of the MCs made this story less than enjoyable. It wasn't horrible... but the inconsistent and suddenness of changing POVs made the story feel disjointed.
McKenna
A bittersweet romance about coming home and facing your demons as well as you mother. I felt for both men as they had to deal with rural southern people and who Jimmy was, is and what he tried to be.

Highly recommend
jules0623
2.5 stars. I wish this story spanned a greater time frame. The friendship between Ava and Chase, the outing, the fight, the dementia etc needed more depth and gentler handling. It was a little clumsy. It was a solid story though.
Tc
May 14, 2013 Tc rated it really liked it
Great read. I enjoyed the story, I like the characters, and the issues addressed in the story are also believable.
Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~
Hits every single stereotype with no character development. I did manage to finish it, so two stars.
Anett
Anett rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2015
Jacquie
Jacquie rated it liked it
May 17, 2013
David
David rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2013
Tameka
Tameka rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Chance Assassin: A Story of Love, Luck, and Murder (Chance Assassin, #1)
  • Ink
  • Chalk Butterfly: The Complete Trilogy
  • The Park at Sunrise
  • Hollywood & Mine
  • Tormented Discovery (Finding Our Way, #2)
  • Sebastian's Journal
  • The Lord of Twink's Bottom
  • Public Display of Everything
  • Furtive Liaison
  • Save Me, Sinner (Brooklyn Sinners, #2.5)
  • Benediction
  • A Dirty Drag Collection
  • The Law of the Jungle
  • Flux (Ennek #2)
  • Where I Am Now
  • Hillserpent Academy
  • Lenny for Your Thoughts
C.K. Alexander is a new self-published author specializing in M/M Romance. C.K's first book, Alabama Summer, reached best-seller status in the Gay Romance field.

The next book, Celebrity Secret, is due out June 2013.

Please sign up for C.K.'s email list to take advantage of early bird prices & special deals.

http://eepurl.com/zer55 - Email List sign up
More about C.K. Alexander...