Start by marking “Nate the Great Talks Turkey” as Want to Read:
Nate the Great Talks Turkey

Nate the Great Talks Turkey (Nate the Great #25)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  23 reviews
These chapter books introduce beginning readers to the detective mystery genre. Perfect for the Common Core, kids can problem-solve with Nate, using logical thinking to solve mysteries!

A giant turkey is on the loose! Nate, the great detective, and his dog, Sludge, hear the news on the radio. But Nate doesn't want to take a case that everyone in town is on. Not even when Cl
Published August 14th 2007 by Yearling (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Nate the Great Talks Turkey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nate the Great Talks Turkey

Measle and the Mallockee by Ian OgilvyStink by Megan McDonaldThe Grunts in Trouble by Philip ArdaghAwful End by Philip ArdaghThe Fall of Fergal by Philip Ardagh
Series Reads for 2nd Grade Boys
70th out of 91 books — 2 voters
Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyHorrid Henry's Joke Book by Francesca SimonDragon Howl by Vanessa RouseDragon Rider by Cornelia FunkeThe Adventures of Captain Underpants by Dav Pilkey
2nd Grade Book List for Boys
116th out of 133 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

midnightfaerie
A book my 6 yr old loved, a little old for my preschoolers. A solid reading level 2 book, this reader has a good amount of advanced vocabulary words, but not so long that it discourages a new reader. Used it for his read out loud book, which was perfect. It took about 15 mins for him to read and had just enough new vocabulary words to make it challenging. Also, it was a fun and interesting story he could get into. He liked it so much, he asked for more by this author. Great reading book!
Cheryl
I agree with Dolly that this seemed a little long, but I'm still pleased to find another Nate the Great adventure. I'm not sure I liked the mystery in this, though, as the reader couldn't solve it along with the detective. I'd share this in summer so that by the time Thanksgiving comes around the kids will be ready to eat turkey again. But now I have to go make pancakes....
Dolly
Nov 03, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Longer than the older Nate the Great stories, this one seems to drag on a bit. The addition of his fabulously wealthy cousin, Olivia, is interesting in an Eloise kind of way. The story occurs in the summer, but Thanksgiving is mentioned. This turkey story would be good to read during that holiday, as long as children didn't start thinking of turkeys as pets and get upset that one was about to be eaten!
Sheelu Tyagi
ytyhyhuujujfjffufufyguuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttddddddddddddddd ...more
Rachel
The idea of Nate the Great is fun, but I wasn't too enthralled by this story. I have to agree with Nate... there wasn't any point in him wandering around the neighborhood looking for a turkey. I didn't get why his lame cousin spent a ton of money to come over and look for the lame turkey either. Why was this loose turkey all over the local news, much less the national news? Basically, the story left a lot to be desired.

As far as the writing goes, I didn't like how short and choppy all of the sen
Indah W
Gua inget bangets pertama kali ngeliat seri Nate ini di Gramedia Central Park, di sana banyaaaak bangets seri Nate-nya, tapi sayangnya kaga ada satu pun yang dibuka jadi karena sama sekali nge-blank plus lagi kaga diskon pula jadilah gua kaga beli, ahahaha..

Ngga taunyaaa.. sekarang pada didiskon boo, 70% pulaa, mantaps khan tuhh, hihihi..

Bukunya lumayan sih.. pendek2 kalimatnya and kadang diulang2 pulaa.. belon lagi kadang khan ada si Olivia Sharp, sepupunya Nate, jadi makin diulang2lah kalimat
Seth
Nate the great was looking for a turkey so is Olivia but they were different turkeys. Both turkeys were found.
Kaethe
For the PandaBat, who loves mysteries. At least Nate's friends are intriguing. And their pets.
Michelle. D.
Nate the Great books aren't that great. I hated them when I was a kid, yet I would always read them.The endings of the books were always the same, they figured out what or who did it. And where are Nate's parents? They just let their son walk around everywhere and question people. That is very irresponsible of them. Nate the Great books always made me fall asleep and always wasted my time. I would not recommend this book to anyone, especially little kids. If kids want real mystery, they should r ...more
babyhippoface
Boy detective Nate the Great, his dog, Sludge, and his wealthy cousin Olivia Sharp are trying to find a turkey loose in the city in this latest addition to the popular series. Nate and Olivia take turns narrating the chapters, which have plenty of dialogue and enough action to keep readers’ attention. The big problem for this beginning chapter book comes in the physical layout: there are no paragraph indentations, so it occasionally becomes difficult to decipher which character in the dialogue i ...more
Jodi
Apr 06, 2012 Jodi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young readers
Recommended to Jodi by: Mr. Hoffman - first grade teacher
My son's first grade class read a Nate the Great book and then went to see the play on a field trip. My boy is now crazy for Nate the Great! Cute chapter book for a first grader. Simple, pictures on every page, able to be read in one sitting, and the characters get to do fun things. My son is asking for me to get him another one and I happily will get it at the library for him.
Tristan
I am 8 so found this an easy read. Mom really got it for my lil sis.

Would you believe I found an ERROR!! In page 73, the phone number in text does not match the one on the illustration!!

I used to say that a possible career for me could be as an editor. I love reading but not so much the writing.
Bryce Balenseifen
I was in the 2nd grade so I don't remember..
Matthew
This book was not really very good. The story line was poor and not very interesting. My four year old rolled over while I was reading it to him and didn't even want to look at the pictures.
Nielson
I thought there were too many words crammed into the pages. It was confusing that the "I" kept changing from Nate the Great to Olivia. Maybe I just chose a bad book from the series.
Bea
Rambling, repetitive, disjointed, too long
Audrey
May 22, 2013 Audrey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children 4-7
Benjamin enjoyed this book about a missing turkey and what an investigator child would do to find it. The chapters were a bit disjointed in my opinion though.
RaeLene
Beginning reader: A witty and fun story about the search for a misisng turkey. Nate the Great receives help from his cousin Olivia on this case.
K.
Great bedtime read. Love the Nate The Great series. Perfect Thanksgiving story for older kids.
Julian
I learned that two things can be going on at the same time and that you don't even know!
Thurga
Jen
Jen added it
Nov 14, 2014
Swechiayni
Swechiayni marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Diana Gutierrez
Diana Gutierrez marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Don't Sit On My Lunch! (Ready, Freddy!, #4)
  • The Mystery of the Gold Coins (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #5)
  • The Littles Take A Trip
  • Fly Guy Meets Fly Girl (Fly Guy, #8)
  • Pirate Mom
  • Horrible Harry at Halloween
  • Princess Ellie to the Rescue (Pony-Crazed Princess #1)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Big Sleepover (Henry and Mudge, #28)
  • Night of the New Magicians (Magic Tree House, #35)
  • Bye-Bye, Mom and Dad
  • The Berenstain Bears' Big Bear, Small Bear
Marjorie Weinman Sharmat is an American children's writer. She has written more than 130 books for children and teens and her books have been translated into several languages. They have won awards including Book of the Year by the Library of Congress or have become selections by the Literary Guild.
More about Marjorie Weinman Sharmat...
Nate the Great Nate the Great Goes Undercover Nate the Great and the Big Sniff Nate the Great and the Missing Key Nate the Great and the Sticky Case