Start by marking “Nate the Great Talks Turkey” as Want to Read:
Nate the Great Talks Turkey

Nate the Great Talks Turkey (Nate the Great #25)

Beginning readers are introduced to the detective mystery genre in these chapter books. Perfect for the Common Core, kids can problem-solve with Nate, using logical thinking to solve mysteries!

A giant turkey is on the loose! And everyone is on the case—Nate, his cousin Olivia, his dog, Sludge, and even his friend Claude. But from talking turkey to stalking turkey, will ev
Published August 14th 2007 by Yearling (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Nate the Great Talks Turkey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nate the Great Talks Turkey

midnightfaerie
A book my 6 yr old loved, a little old for my preschoolers. A solid reading level 2 book, this reader has a good amount of advanced vocabulary words, but not so long that it discourages a new reader. Used it for his read out loud book, which was perfect. It took about 15 mins for him to read and had just enough new vocabulary words to make it challenging. Also, it was a fun and interesting story he could get into. He liked it so much, he asked for more by this author. Great reading book!
Dolly
Nov 03, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Longer than the older Nate the Great stories, this one seems to drag on a bit. The addition of his fabulously wealthy cousin, Olivia, is interesting in an Eloise kind of way. The story occurs in the summer, but Thanksgiving is mentioned. This turkey story would be good to read during that holiday, as long as children didn't start thinking of turkeys as pets and get upset that one was about to be eaten!
Kira
Mar 14, 2017 Kira rated it it was amazing
I borrowed this book NYPL and read it on the Kindle. I love this book because I love detectives stories. The ending was better than what I expected. Also, the illustrations are very nice.
Rachel
May 28, 2008 Rachel rated it it was ok
The idea of Nate the Great is fun, but I wasn't too enthralled by this story. I have to agree with Nate... there wasn't any point in him wandering around the neighborhood looking for a turkey. I didn't get why his lame cousin spent a ton of money to come over and look for the lame turkey either. Why was this loose turkey all over the local news, much less the national news? Basically, the story left a lot to be desired.

As far as the writing goes, I didn't like how short and choppy all of the sen
Indah W
Oct 30, 2011 Indah W rated it liked it
Shelves: children-books
Gua inget bangets pertama kali ngeliat seri Nate ini di Gramedia Central Park, di sana banyaaaak bangets seri Nate-nya, tapi sayangnya kaga ada satu pun yang dibuka jadi karena sama sekali nge-blank plus lagi kaga diskon pula jadilah gua kaga beli, ahahaha..

Ngga taunyaaa.. sekarang pada didiskon boo, 70% pulaa, mantaps khan tuhh, hihihi..

Bukunya lumayan sih.. pendek2 kalimatnya and kadang diulang2 pulaa.. belon lagi kadang khan ada si Olivia Sharp, sepupunya Nate, jadi makin diulang2lah kalimat
Sheelu Tyagi
ytyhyhuujujfjffufufyguuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttddddddddddddddd ...more
Rosa Cline
Apr 11, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it did not like it
Shelves: kids, didn-t-finish
My special needs son and I normally really like Nate the Great books; he with his friends and his dog. But this book was horrible! Keep repeating what it just said and bouncing back and forth from Nate talking and his cousin talking. REALLY? I couldn't keep track little long a child keeping track. I got about half way through and then lost my son and lost myself so had to stop. I was very disappointed. Also one doesn't know if this was suppose to be a Thanksgiving book or a summer book the way t ...more
babyhippoface
Boy detective Nate the Great, his dog, Sludge, and his wealthy cousin Olivia Sharp are trying to find a turkey loose in the city in this latest addition to the popular series. Nate and Olivia take turns narrating the chapters, which have plenty of dialogue and enough action to keep readers’ attention. The big problem for this beginning chapter book comes in the physical layout: there are no paragraph indentations, so it occasionally becomes difficult to decipher which character in the dialogue i ...more
Michelle. D.
Sep 04, 2010 Michelle. D. rated it did not like it
Shelves: was-awful
Nate the Great books aren't that great. I hated them when I was a kid, yet I would always read them.The endings of the books were always the same, they figured out what or who did it. And where are Nate's parents? They just let their son walk around everywhere and question people. That is very irresponsible of them. Nate the Great books always made me fall asleep and always wasted my time. I would not recommend this book to anyone, especially little kids. If kids want real mystery, they should r ...more
Jodi
Apr 06, 2012 Jodi rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young readers
Recommended to Jodi by: Mr. Hoffman - first grade teacher
My son's first grade class read a Nate the Great book and then went to see the play on a field trip. My boy is now crazy for Nate the Great! Cute chapter book for a first grader. Simple, pictures on every page, able to be read in one sitting, and the characters get to do fun things. My son is asking for me to get him another one and I happily will get it at the library for him.
Tristan
Nov 07, 2009 Tristan rated it really liked it
I am 8 so found this an easy read. Mom really got it for my lil sis.

Would you believe I found an ERROR!! In page 73, the phone number in text does not match the one on the illustration!!

I used to say that a possible career for me could be as an editor. I love reading but not so much the writing.
Hope
Jun 07, 2016 Hope rated it liked it
A bit of a longer Nate the Great book, it was still overall enjoyable. Nate the Great is joined by his cousin, Olivia, as everyone in town is looking for a turkey that had sat on a car in the supermarket parking lot.
Lexi
Nov 16, 2015 Lexi rated it it was ok
I liked a couple things about it, like the fact that Nate let his friend "solve" the mystery with Sludge. Overall, I feel the original series was better than the ones written by the author's children.
Thurga
Dec 10, 2012 Thurga added it
this is a good book
Bryce Balenseifen
Aug 28, 2014 Bryce Balenseifen rated it liked it
I was in the 2nd grade so I don't remember..
RaeLene
Apr 24, 2009 RaeLene rated it really liked it
Shelves: 26-picture-books
Beginning reader: A witty and fun story about the search for a misisng turkey. Nate the Great receives help from his cousin Olivia on this case.
kassandra
Nov 06, 2008 kassandra marked it as to-read
i love it
Suburban Homeschooler
Not enough Nate.
Matthew
Nov 20, 2012 Matthew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was not really very good. The story line was poor and not very interesting. My four year old rolled over while I was reading it to him and didn't even want to look at the pictures.
Kaethe
Jul 14, 2014 Kaethe rated it liked it
For the PandaBat, who loves mysteries. At least Nate's friends are intriguing. And their pets.
Audrey
May 22, 2013 Audrey rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Children 4-7
Benjamin enjoyed this book about a missing turkey and what an investigator child would do to find it. The chapters were a bit disjointed in my opinion though.
Julian
Mar 02, 2008 Julian rated it liked it
I learned that two things can be going on at the same time and that you don't even know!
Leslie
Nov 29, 2015 Leslie rated it it was ok
I listened to the audiobook which Random House gave as a freebie.
K.
Nov 16, 2012 K. rated it it was amazing
Great bedtime read. Love the Nate The Great series. Perfect Thanksgiving story for older kids.
Bea
Dec 30, 2013 Bea rated it did not like it
Rambling, repetitive, disjointed, too long
Seth
Apr 27, 2014 Seth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: by-myself
Nate the great was looking for a turkey so is Olivia but they were different turkeys. Both turkeys were found.
Nielson
May 23, 2008 Nielson rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
I thought there were too many words crammed into the pages. It was confusing that the "I" kept changing from Nate the Great to Olivia. Maybe I just chose a bad book from the series.
Gina
Gina rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2015
Dominik
Dominik rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2015
Shannon Rickert
Shannon Rickert rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Abracadabra! Magic with Mouse and Mole
  • Minnie and Moo Go to the Moon (Minnie and Moo (DK Hardcover))
  • Aunt Eater Loves a Mystery
  • The Littles Take A Trip
  • Cam Jansen and the Secret Service Mystery (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #26)
  • Get Well, Good Knight
  • Fly Guy Meets Fly Girl (Fly Guy, #8)
  • Princess Ellie to the Rescue (Pony-Crazed Princess #1)
  • Penguin Problems (The Life of Ty, #1)
  • The King of Show-and-Tell (Ready, Freddy!, #2)
  • Mummies Don't Coach Softball (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #21)
  • Maggie and Max (The Puppy Place, #10)
  • Stanley in Space (Flat Stanley, #3)
  • The Curse of the Black Hole Pirates (Star Wars: The Clone Wars Secret Missions, #2)
  • Emily's First 100 Days of School
  • The Best Seat in Second Grade
  • The Berenstain Bears' Big Bear, Small Bear (Step into Reading)
Marjorie Weinman Sharmat is an American children's writer. She has written more than 130 books for children and teens and her books have been translated into several languages. They have won awards including Book of the Year by the Library of Congress or have become selections by the Literary Guild.
More about Marjorie Weinman Sharmat...

Nate the Great (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Nate the Great
  • Nate the Great Goes Undercover
  • Nate The Great And The Lost List (Nate The Great)
  • Nate the Great and the Phony Clue