Start by marking “Rise of the Kobani” as Want to Read:
Rise of the Kobani

Rise of the Kobani (Koban Series #3)

4.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  930 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
The Kobani use captured Krall ships to return to Human Space. They seek expert training for their genetically modified fighters, modern weapons and new medical technology. There’s a possible block to this help, in the form of death penalty laws of the Planetary Union, prohibiting gene modifications of humans. A holdover from the Gene War, which nearly extinguished humanity ...more
Published October 2nd 2013 by Stephen W Bennett

To ask other readers questions about Rise of the Kobani, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rise of the Kobani

Per Gunnar
Mar 02, 2016 Per Gunnar rated it it was amazing
In my opinion this was a great book. It had plenty of the elements that I really like in a good science fiction book. A nice bunch of likable heroes, some nasty alien adversaries, quite a few wow moments where the heroes show their capabilities, some good fighting and a few interesting twists in the story.

The Krall are continuing on their “Grand Path” but, obviously, the humans and especially the Kobanis, are not really playing along. After all the intent of the Kralls are the extinction if mank
Gallandro_83
Oct 06, 2013 Gallandro_83 rated it really liked it
Book 3 starts out right where Book 2 left off and throws us into the action headlong into the continuation of the Koban series.

This book focuses almost entirely on the Kobani raiders and the various characters they interact with. This is a change from the last book where the Kobani were the main players for only half the novel and it sets up the next book to deal with all the changes and reactions that the Kobani are leaving in their wake.

As my title states the book can almost be titled "Better
Sherflei
Feb 11, 2016 Sherflei rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series continues to be an excellent page turner. In this installment, the people of Koban "come back from the dead" and make contacts back in human space - specifically with special ops types that are receptive to the Kobani gene mods that human politicians are not ready to support even though they desperately need them. The Krall continue to slowly push humans off of their worlds - the pace of their choosing since this furthers their trip along "the great path".

In this installment, we also
Paul Gil
Aug 02, 2016 Paul Gil rated it really liked it
Stephen Bennett's 'Koban' series is a mixed bag; the world-building is terrific, with a panorama of interesting alien species and human politics. The genetic engineering and (semi) hard science flavoring add good believability to the mythology. And the humans-vs-reptilian-predators story should appeal to any SF fan who loves space wars.

Where Bennett falls down is in three areas: dialog, character building, and repetitive 'head-switching' (point of view swapping). The characters feel flat, and th
Matt
Oct 07, 2013 Matt rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing series and I would recommend this anyone who likes Sci-Fi. I cannot believe that this self published author has not been picked up by a publisher. Personally, I'm sorta glad that he has not. Publishers will make him slow down how fast he puts out his books. Right now he is averaging a book every 6 months. I can't wait until the 4th books comes out.
James
Oct 28, 2015 James rated it really liked it
As I've now finished all the books up to date I thought I'd come back and write a few thoughts and comments.

In my humble opinion this book was perhaps the most frustrating in the series to the point where I almost gave up....

Maggie kills me. She's an insensitive b!&%$ but everyone still likes her? She hits guys in the balls for no other reason than them beating her in an argument or teasing her back. WHO THE HELL DOES THIS??? I would deck a woman if she tried to do that to me on a regular b
Andrew
Feb 01, 2016 Andrew rated it really liked it
Shelves: space-sci-fi
Well the real war has began at last, this is a really good addition to the series. In it was see the start of the alliance that is gearing up to take the fight to the Krall and who doesn't want giant crabs and lemurs around. I think this book we finally get to see the real combat difference between the Krall and the Kobani's in a real first not just a quick storming of a ship and we get to see one of our early enemies with the tables turned on them. I would recommend it to anyone that was wantin ...more
David Kester
Sep 03, 2015 David Kester rated it it was amazing
Third in the series. At this point I'm not sure where he goes with the series. I do love the characters and can't help but just keep reading. Although I am wearing out of the back and forth nature of the war. Feelings like watching a really long game of Ping Pong. Also, don't see any surprises coming really. But this is good story tellling.
GaiusPrimus
Feb 18, 2015 GaiusPrimus rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-military
A great story keeps on going. Believable characters with consistent behaviours. The two dimensional villains are still there, which has been somewhat refreshing.

My only gripes are the multitude of typos and mid chapter cliffhangers. I highly suggest a better editor or more proofreaders.

Btw, if it means I get to read your books early, I volunteer to proofread it.
Thomas
May 08, 2016 Thomas rated it it was amazing
One of the best "space opera / epics that I have read in the last few years. I give it 4 1/2 stars. I have to give it 5 stars in the ratings because of the stupid 5 star rating system here on Goodreads. If anyone running this place reads this please go to a 10 point ratings system so we can give a more nuanced recommendation for the books we review.
Beverly
Mar 21, 2016 Beverly rated it really liked it
This one took longer for me because of the future technology and aliens descriptions. They have to be explained, but if you're not into tech it slows it down in the middle of the book. It speeds back up with the action.
Jordan Steinhoff
Jan 19, 2016 Jordan Steinhoff rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
So, it's not really a 3 star book but no half marks. And it's not a 4 star book.

Generally a very good continuation of the story.

The Kobani begin engagements against the Krall in secret after contacting various Human colonies to feel them out about gene mods.

Solid story there. The author moves the story forward for Kobani and Human both as well as the Krall and some of the slave races. Interesting things happen and terrifying discoveries are made. It ends with a minor cliffhanger.

All good things.
Ondrej
Aug 20, 2015 Ondrej rated it it was ok
Richardj
Aug 22, 2015 Richardj rated it it was amazing
Well I'm on the third audio book and all i can say is wow. In the first book i was taken aback by the detail and I wasn't sure. Halfway thru the first and I was hooked. Now i"m on the third and the story is great. Having a hard time finding time for the audio book but whenever i have the time it's on and that story continues to get deeper and more involved, which i love. Thanks Stephen. Can't wait for the forth, I know it's out there so here i come.
Dan Burke
Dec 24, 2014 Dan Burke rated it it was amazing
I have almost read the series back t back now. still great!
Bryan457
I'm really enjoying this series.
Looking forward to the next one.
Smittie
Nov 15, 2015 Smittie rated it it was amazing
Great Science Fiction Series

I really enjoyed this book and look forward to the next one in the series. The book is well balanced between the key character relationships to the tactics and strategies employed in their fight against the Krall. I highly recommend this book as part of the ongoing series.
Wilco Roos
Apr 23, 2015 Wilco Roos rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Simply love it, fast and furious action and a great back story :-)
Richard Parker
May 05, 2015 Richard Parker rated it liked it
Book 3 in the series.

We're finally pushing the action along. The Kobani are getting up in the Kral's face and showing them that humanity can punch back.

The author still has a severe problem with explaining things twice. First, from the POV character's perspective, and then a couple pages later when the POV character is talking to the supporting cast. The first section really needs to hit the cutting room floor.

I'm not sure if this was always the author's intent, but it feels like new technology
Milton Amado
Jan 30, 2015 Milton Amado rated it it was amazing
Excelent book! great follow up for the other ones, keeps getting better and better, the development of the races and the Kobani is great, not the super humans in a jump, it is gradual evolution that makes it feel a good evolution on the narrative. wainting for the next book!.
Karen
Jan 03, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing
I've been dying to read this! Finally it's out - I'll have to wait until after final exams to start, because I know I will get sucked in! Excellent sci-fi adventure! Can not wait to read the next installment! I want some gene-mods too!
Justin Lambert
Aug 02, 2014 Justin Lambert rated it it was amazing
Awesome series!!! Can't wait for #4
tak
Jan 26, 2014 tak rated it really liked it
Can't wait for the next book!
Douglas Owen
Apr 11, 2016 Douglas Owen rated it it was ok
Okay, this one went on the "Did not Fishing" shelf. Oh, why? Well, because it is just starting to get ridiculous with the amount of things the humans are able to do now. So they genetically modified themselves and, after saying to would take a few generations, have been able to slice and dice their own selves into genetic modifications. Now, every time they come across something they want, they slice and dice again. The final straw was they are no longer going to die of old age! Really? Sure. Ne ...more
Lloyd Dewolf
Feb 10, 2015 Lloyd Dewolf rated it liked it
Shelves: listened
The tension is completely gone from the struggle. It's like the DM let the characters choose their own magic items from the dungeon master's guide.
Fred Fenimore
Feb 26, 2015 Fred Fenimore rated it it was ok
Shelves: audible
Starting to lose focus. Too many threads not with not enough time on each.
Christos
Christos marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Rumen Yankov
Rumen Yankov marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Jack Jones
Jack Jones rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2016
  • The Valhalla Call (Hayden War Cycle, #4)
  • Destruction (Galactic Empire Wars, #1)
  • Exodus: Empires at War #2 (Exodus: Empires at War #2)
  • Ghosts of Empire (Empire of Bones Saga, #4)
  • The Empire's Corps (The Empire's Corps, #1)
  • Mission Zero (Fourth Fleet Irregulars #1)
  • Return to Dakistee (A Galaxy Unknown #8)
  • An Officer's Duty (Theirs Not to Reason Why, #2)
  • Admiral's Revenge (Spineward Sectors, #5)
I was born in 1942, so I'm an autumn rather than a spring chicken. I live outside of Tampa, Florida with my fabulous wife Anita, and one son in college, Montana. I have three older boys, Mark, Gary, and Anthony, all of whom have married and presented us with terrific grandchildren.

My education gravitated to science, starting out as a physics major and my depression era folks told me I'd never make
More about Stephen W. Bennett...

Koban Series (5 books)
  • Koban
  • The Mark of Koban
  • Shattered Worlds
  • A Federation Forged in Fire

“Smiling, she answered, “You can’t mean that! Why there are people who would give an arm and a leg to be a decorated Kobani.” She started to turn away but stopped. Looking back she added, “Oh, right... You already did that.” She laughed as she walked out.” 1 likes