Start by marking “Winter Wedding” as Want to Read:
Winter Wedding

Winter Wedding

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  251 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Would she ever have a proper marriage?

Some people might think Emily Seymour was a bit prim and proper. Emily preferred to think of herself as sensible. Unfortunately, all the good sense in the world could not stop Emily from falling in love with Professor Renier Jurres-Romeijn.

The professor barely seemed to notice her, though. He was too busy making plans for a winter wedd
Published November 5th 2013 by Harlequin (first published November 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Winter Wedding, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Wedding

Kathleen
Such a vivid memory of this book!! The hero was so despicable at first! Then he had to grovel, and for the whole second half of the book we see a much nicer guy, trying to win her heart.

Dutch Doctor Professor Jurres-Romeijn is a consulting specialist at a hospital in England, where Emily works as a nurse. When he realizes he is going to have to work closely with her on a special case, he complains. Emily overhears his comments:
"He was speaking now, his voice, with its faint Dutch accent, very
Linda
*Not quite 4 stars*

Well, darn. I cannot recover my review for Winter Wedding that I wrote earlier today.

Suffice-to-say, it was a typical Betty Neels romance with a Plain Jane young English nurse and an older handsome professor/doctor from Holland. In a Darcy/Jane Bennet moment, Emily Seymour unintentionally overhears Professor Renier Jurres-Romeijn slur her looks. And he doesn't even know her! Fortunately, the gentleman that he made the comment to gently takes him to task. The rest of this pred
Leona
Jul 28, 2013 Leona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Leona by: Aayesha Khatri
Barbara
Oct 19, 2010 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-goodies
A nice, gentle little Neels, with a few WTF kickers. Typical mousy (and in this case, plump) British Nurse, and our older, aloof, Rich Dutch Doctor. Twists included younger, very pretty sister who is helping our heroine take care of twin babies (children of their oldest sister and her husband, who are trapped by politics in a dicey overseas situation!!!). Pretty sister gets bored and wants to go out and drugs the babies!!

Unforgivable moment--our RDD, who has flirted with pretty sister, continues
Tishke
Aug 13, 2013 Tishke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It reminded me a bit of Cinderella with the selfish beautiful younger sister, the twin niece and nephew, working 18 hours a day,...

The male lead character as in most Ms. Neels' books was 18+ years older...a successful rich Dutch doctor and she was once again a very average looking competent nurse. The evil other woman a heartless selfish gorgeous bitch.

It amazes me that I keep enjoying her books even though they are basically the same characters and very similar plot lines.
sbf20112011
Sep 16, 2013 sbf20112011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. An adorable older read. Very sweet story, both characters were very likable. Very light on the romantic action given its age, but still quite enjoyable.
My first Betty Neels! I had no idea what I was in for.

Emily is rather spirited for a Neels heroine, not the usual doormat. Her bitchy sister gets whatever she wants mostly because she runs away before Emily can do the shouting she plans to do. She's working too hard to support and care for her niece and nephew, but it's shown to be because her sister and brother-in-law are in quite a jam, and they are properly appreciative when they return on the scene. The hero is a bit of a dick, taking bitchy
Sophia
Oct 06, 2014 Sophia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Why?

I expected something sweet, a really nice read, that would me leave with warm and fuzzy feelings. It left me angry and grumpy and as I finished it in the evening, I couldn't fall asleep because I was so frustrated by it.

In the beginning I liked the heroine. She was a levelheaded woman, who really loved her niece and nephew and did her best to care for them. Also I liked that she was not head over heels in love with the doctor and didn't get lost in daydreams.
Then there was this thing with h
Andreasoldier
This the second Neels book I've read; both were given to me. Both follwed the same formula. English nurse must work with/for visiting Dutch doctor. After prickly start, there's a bumpy courtship, complete with visit to Holland to meet the family, after which nurse realizes that doctor really does love her.
very old-fashioned, no sex, just kissing. But sweet.
Makes you modern romances contained a little more courting and maybe a little less sex.
Janet
Feb 12, 2010 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned that I really need to explore Betty Neels books in more depth, with more respect and that is a charge I accept! Onward to more Betty Neels books :)
Liz Michaels
Sep 30, 2014 Liz Michaels rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
Someone gave me about ten Betty Neels books, and I'm working my way through at one-book-every-other-day rate.
They all involve a nurse and an aloof doctor, but in spite of their predictability and repetitiveness (and too much telling)make a sweet refreshing read.
Teri-k
Nov 17, 2015 Teri-k rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the excellent story of Emily, a young nurse who finds herself caring for her older sister's infant twins. Her younger sister is supposed to be helping, but in the way of younger sisters everywhere, she's more trouble than she's worth. :) Thankfully for our budding Cinderella, Emily meets a RDD who entices her to Holland and introduces her to love.

I really enjoyed this sweet romance. It had humor, Christmas parties, pretty clothes and told the story of two unlikely people finding themsel
Helen Manning
Jan 05, 2016 Helen Manning rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-reading it because I love it so much!
Carol
Dec 30, 2012 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very sweet love story. Super nice story.
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: The Best of Betty Neels
Kay
Dec 30, 2015 Kay added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kay by: Leona
Shelves: ebooks
Review to be posted soon
Tamera Robinson
Tamera Robinson marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Sydney Morton
Sydney Morton marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Julianne Roche
Julianne Roche is currently reading it
Jan 29, 2016
Janice Aitkens
Janice Aitkens rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Rosemarie Exell
Rosemarie Exell rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Belinda
Belinda rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
Madhavi Latha
Madhavi Latha marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Shree Lakshmi
Shree Lakshmi marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Nicole Moreau
Nicole Moreau rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2016
  • Shameful Secret, Shotgun Wedding
  • Sheikh's Desert Duty (The Chatsfield, #9)
  • House of Mirrors
  • The Tender Stranger (Soldiers of Fortune, #2)
  • Love's Legacy
  • Lost to the Desert Warrior (The Private Lives of Public Playboys #3)
  • Rake with a Frozen Heart
  • Gallant Waif
  • Runabout (Wild Oats, #2)
  • Luke (Harlequin Temptation, #938)
  • The Fiorenza Forced Marriage (Harlequin Presents #2807)
  • The Heart Breaker (Rocky Mountain, #2)
  • Land of Dreams
  • The Real Deal (Harlequin Blaze, #573)
Betty Neels was born on September 15, 1910 in Devon to a family with firm roots in the civil service. She said she had a blissfully happy childhood and teenage years, which stood her in good stead for the tribulations to come with the Second World War. She was sent away to boarding school, and then went on to train as a nurse, gaining her SRN and SCM, that is, State Registered Nurse and State Cert ...more
More about Betty Neels...