Start by marking “In Heaven as on Earth: A Vision of the Afterlife” as Want to Read:
In Heaven as on Earth: A Vision of the Afterlife

In Heaven as on Earth: A Vision of the Afterlife

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  239 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
The author of The Road Less Traveled considers the spiritual journey of the soul after death in a fable that addresses the principles of faith, community, and finding a place in the afterlife. Reprint."
Paperback
Published July 1st 1997 by Hyperion (first published March 3rd 1996)

To ask other readers questions about In Heaven as on Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Heaven as on Earth

Jane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëZoia's Gold by Philip SingtonGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenLolita by Vladimir Nabokov
Must read!
95th out of 106 books — 14 voters
Awake and Alive by Luke TanTED Talks by Chris J. AndersonElusive Obvious Book by Michael GrinderDr. Seuss's Green Eggs and Ham by Robert KapilowI Am Right You Are Wrong by Edward de Bono
My Transformational Favourites
6th out of 15 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Leanne Hunt
Sep 08, 2012 Leanne Hunt rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, though more as a glimpse into the potential for heaven on earth than into the afterlife itself. I suspect Scott Peck wanted to throw light on the kind of world he foresaw if and when people awakened to their freedom in the divine. They enter this kind of life after experiencing some great trauma or shift in outlook. Then there is a time of adjustment when they have to learn to cope as a free spirit, unbounded by prescriptions and rules. Then there may be temptation to ...more
Ted Dettweiler
I like speculative books like this: What might the afterlife be like? One of M. Scott Peck's twists is that heaven is not really a bodily experience. There are "body images" projected for newcomers to heaven/hell/purgatory to ease their transition but the various spirit-beings in Peck's book have to concentrate their energies on projecting these images. Peck's heaven doesn't involve anything akin to a bodily resurrection. And, if it is heaven, I'm sure I would be fine with those conditions - but ...more
Karin
Jan 31, 2014 Karin rated it it was amazing
Every few years, I have this need to explore other people's ideas and fantasies about the afterlife. Where do we go when our spirit loosens its ties to our body? What happens at that moment? Are we met by kindred spirits, guides, angels? Are we transported in blinding light to the Heavenly Gates? Or can we linger on Earth and hope to comfort our loved ones whom we leave behind? What the hell do we do for the rest of Eternity?

I've read The Lovely Bones and The Five People You Meet in Heaven for
Marilyn
Sep 06, 2010 Marilyn rated it really liked it
I "co-read" this book with my principal/friend, Bruce, so the joy in this book for me was discussing it with him. It is bascially the story of a man who upon finding himself dead begins his orientation and induction into the afterlife. Very very interesting. Find someone to "co-read" it with you as well--heightens the experience. I LOVE this author. His The Road Less Traveled truly saved me at one point in my life--like balm to my soul. Read it.
Liz
Scott Peck has a brilliant mind blest with insight into the human condition. (not only "The Road Less Traveled" but his "People of the Lie" for example)
And his soul is one of a searcher- like the main character in the book- wanting answers to all his questions. While I can see why many find this book "awesome", "profound" and have read it several times, I wasn't quite as enamored by it. There are deep truths to be found in his fantasy about the afterlife, but his character Daniel seems too ignor
Heather
Jul 07, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
This is one of the few books I have read that I actually want to buy to keep. The author expressly stipulates that it's a work of fiction, and his vision of the afterlife has little in common with mine, but the thoughts it contains are profound. It reflects on the way we project a self-image that does not necessarily have anything to do with our true selves, how people create their own heaven, hell and purgatory, and what it's like to have absolute freedom, amongst other things. Incidentally, I ...more
Jimmy
I was expecting not to like this book, but I was surprisingly pleased with it. It's not the best writing stylistically, but it's not bad writing either. And I did find it to be philosophically and theologically provocative, if not all that complex. It's a charming read and definitely gives one something to ponder. I read this for my spiritual book club, and it's a perfect selection for such a club. Simple, easy, and quick. Very digestible and meaningful. There is a skill in that kind of writing, ...more
Jennifer Boyer
Mar 31, 2014 Jennifer Boyer rated it it was amazing
This book helped to save my life during a rough time in my early 20s. I'm not sure why it resonated with me so powerfully, but it brought light and lightness to a time when I felt I was drowning in darkness.
Kristina
Doesn't deserve even one star. People should stop writing on subjects they have no idea about!
James
Jan 03, 2009 James rated it it was amazing
Having belonged to a clinically supervised "near-death experience" studies group, I readily identified with Peck's "Vision of the Afterlife." I studied it like a manual for the prospect of moving into the realm of the next life with hope, joy and without fear.

Peck has become an icon of wisdom with his last book that I read, "The Road Less Travelled." His views meshed with my own from a lifetime of observation and study of our relationship to the Great Beyond that is waiting for us.
Tina86
Apr 26, 2015 Tina86 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting but not what I was expecting. Can't say I have read a book like this before.
Some parts bore me and other parts were more interesting.
I'd recommend this book to those who have always been curious about heaven, purgatory and hell :)
Louise Silk
Aug 06, 2010 Louise Silk rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I recently was pointed to some quotes by M. Scott Peck, the author of "The Road Less Traveled" and those quotes led me to this book that he wrote about the afterlife. The main point of the book is that the afterlife is based on the "principles of freedom" where each soul experiences its life as it finds meaning. Dr. Peck puts himself through the transition from life to death with very clever thinking about what it might actually be like after we die. I wonder....
Les
Feb 28, 2009 Les rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting ideas about what the first few days after death might be like. It was a pleasant read, easy, not too challenging. And that's why it only got 3 stars. Any book about life after death should challenge my thoughts, make me think a little, and perhaps encourage me to clarify my own beliefs.
Although maybe this is just a sign that I'm so firm in my own faith (or stubbornly hard-headed) that I don't have to question my own thinking anymore.
Meg
Sep 17, 2010 Meg rated it did not like it
Shelves: book-group
Your "place prepared for you" is a jail cell in your favorite color. You make your own heaven or hell when you get there. Heaven is committee work and unlimited trips to the psychiatrist for the narrator.
The book is an example of the misuse of fiction. Story has the capacity to express ideas more meaningfully and memorably than other genres, but lousy fiction is insulting and maddening. This is lousy fiction.
Т. Якова
Jul 05, 2014 Т. Якова rated it it was amazing
Brilliant!
Ruth
Nov 15, 2008 Ruth rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Ruth by: the library
This is one of the most thought provoking books I've ever read. It brings everything into perspective...not that I agree with concept in the book, but love the idea of it. That we are in fact building our Heaven right now & that we will always be who we are into eternity.
Melissa McClintock
this was interesting, I remember it as a sort of speech he gave to a group. If this is the right one. The thing is, it's forgettable because there isn't any teaching involved. What WAS interesting, is his refusal to be pigeon holed, as a christian and otherwise.
lallyiam
Nov 10, 2008 lallyiam rated it liked it
Interesting concept: that the work we are doing on Earth is carried on in Heaven. Also a unique look at the trasition period that one goes through after death, after all getting used to not having would (will) be a strange thing.
Geralyn
Sep 26, 2012 Geralyn rated it really liked it
i read this in the 90's, just reread.
a great phylosophical take on how we handle our lives; although meant to be "hereafter".
quick read.......... by the author that wrote "the road less traveled"
M.C.
Mar 15, 2011 M.C. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I usually am in complete harmony with Dr Peck but I found I was deeply troubled by his inference (it is a work of fiction after all) that souls are created for experiment.
Nina
Sep 23, 2008 Nina rated it it was amazing
This is a strange book but I loved it so much I read it over and over again. His tale of the afterlife. Thought provoking. Read it twice.
Laura Siegel
Oct 07, 2011 Laura Siegel rated it it was amazing
Most don't know that Peck wrote fiction. What if you could really say no to anything? Or feel a clear yes? Changed my life.
trixie kennedy
Jun 25, 2008 trixie kennedy rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book of all time. This author is well-known for nonfiction; however, this is his only fiction publication.
Polly
Apr 08, 2009 Polly added it
listened to this i think are you apaying attention i fell in love later in life in england
Jaki Haligas
Dec 27, 2015 Jaki Haligas rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, it was strangely comforting.
Wendy
Jun 02, 2011 Wendy rated it it was ok
Had to put the book down. It was moving along way to slow and boring me.
Shelli
Oct 14, 2008 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Interesting perspective on life after death.
Salsadancer
May 20, 2009 Salsadancer rated it liked it
My least favorite of Scott Peck's books.
Chaz Ainsworth
Apr 05, 2014 Chaz Ainsworth rated it really liked it
Creative and gave me a new look into the present
Mike Lemke
May 18, 2016 Mike Lemke rated it it was amazing
Loved this book from beginning to end.
  • Discovering the Enneagram: An Ancient Tool a New Spiritual Journey
  • To Live Until We Say Good Bye
  • The Spiritual Brain: A Neuroscientist's Case for the Existence of the Soul
  • Original Blessing
  • Surviving Schizophrenia: A Manual for Families, Patients, and Providers
  • Wide as the Waters: The Story of the English Bible and the Revolution it Inspired
  • Fire in the Soul: A New Psychology of Spiritual optimism
  • The Da Vinci Deception
  • The Secret Teachings of Jesus: Four Gnostic Gospels
  • Jesus for the Non-Religious
  • The Gospel According to John I-XII (Anchor Bible Series, Vol 29)
  • The Light Inside the Dark: Zen, Soul, and the Spiritual Life
  • The Necessity of Atheism
  • This Tremendous Lover
  • Mother Angelica's Private and Pithy Lessons from the Scriptures
  • Francis: The Journey and the Dream
  • Treatise on the Love of God
  • The Meaning of Life: A Reader
Dr. Peck was born on May 22, 1936 in New York City, the younger of two sons to David Warner Peck, a prominent lawyer and jurist, and his wife Elizabeth Saville. He married Lily Ho in 1959, and they had three children.

Dr. Peck received his B.A. degree magna cum laude from Harvard College in 1958, and his M.D. degree from the Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine in 1963. From 1963 unti
More about M. Scott Peck...