The Bourne Retribution (Jason Bourne, #11)
read book* *Different edition

The Bourne Retribution (Jason Bourne #11)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  502 ratings  ·  77 reviews
Jason Bourne is one of the most popular and compelling characters in modern fiction. Originally created by bestselling author Robert Ludlum, now New York Times bestselling writer Eric Van Lustbader carries on Ludlum's legacy with a new novel about the rogue secret agent who has lost his memory . . .

Jason Bourne has been pursued by powerful governments--and escaped.
Hunted
Published December 3rd 2013 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Bourne Retribution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bourne Retribution

Khamneithang Vaiphei
Brace yourself for the ultimate showdown in this Jason Bourne thriller that has a deeply personal touch to a story that spans Mexican drug cartels, the Chinese Politburo, and the Mossad.

In The Bourne Retribution, a month after Rebeka’s funeral Jason Bourne is still mourning her death. Rebeka’s death throbbed like an internal wound that refused to heal. When the director of Mossad, Eli Yadin, asks him to investigate the rumor of Ouyang Jidan, a senior member of China’s Politburo, and Mexico’s dru...more
Denis Vukosav
“The Bourne Retribution” by Eric Van Lustbader is another sequel full of exciting adventures that were experienced by secret agent who has lost his memory, the book character that was originally created by Robert Ludlum.

This sequel begins where the last novel “The Bourne Imperative” finished, Jason Bourne is still recovering from Rebeka's death.
The head of Mossad who is also Jason's friend will find out about connections between China’s Politburo and Mexican drug lord that obviously work on some...more
Khamneithang Vaiphei
Criss-crossing cities, countries and continents – from the Middle East to Mexico, and to China, The Bourne Retribution continues the saga of one of the most popular and compelling characters in modern fiction. Eric Van Lustbader masterfully writes a tale of loss, betrayal and vengeance in this latest Bourne novel.

In The Bourne Retribution, the story begins a month after Rebeka’s funeral and Jason Bourne is still mourning her death. Rebeka’s death throbbed like an internal wound that refused to h...more
Mean Drake
Though the book starts off badly in my opinion, it picks up pace and settles down into a fairly good thriller. But the initial part of the book was very bad. Characters were ill-defined and doing illogical stuff and some of the things were incredulous. But then that's Bourne series. Overall, a good read finally.
J.c. Shepard
At this point, VonLustbader has more than twice the history with Jason Bourne as Robert Ludlum had. In some ways the legend reads as fan fiction, in others it stretches so far from origins to be nearly unrecognizable. Take it for what it is and you'll happily go along for the ride. Bourne is older and wiser now, yet we never quite know how much he's the puppet or the puppeteer. One note: you won't get half as much out of the story if you haven't kept up with the series.
Judee. Fong.
Eric Van Lustbader was given the arduous task of continuing the legend of Robert Ludlum's indestructible amnesiac hero, Jason Bourne. I had given the Jason Bourne series a bit of a rest as there has been 7 Bourne adventures since Ludlum's passing-- with each thriller having the Van Lustbader intricate plotline. "The Bourne Retribution" does not disappoint. This is definitely one of those thrillers that grabs you by the throat and makes you burn the midnight oil just to see what is beyond the nex...more
Jakobk
"The Bourne Retribution" by Eric Van Lustbader is, as the title implies, another adventure of the amnesiac spy, Jason Bourne. Except this one is different. The book deals with Jason Bourne after Rebeka's death, and how he hasn't gotten over it. Now, I remember in "The Bourne Legacy" when Lustbader killed off Bourne's Psychiatrist Dr. Morris Panov, his old CIA Handler Alex Conklin, and Jason Bourne's wife. That was a sad moment, as the three people he had forged emotional connection to were kille...more
Joel Anderson
To this day, I recall when I first met Jason Bourne in the pages of Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Identity. A man fished out of the sea who soon discovers that he does not know who is or anything about his history. Over the course of 11 novels, I have come to know the man who, despite the odds against him always seems to complete his mission.

In The Bourne Retribution, he is recruited by Mossad using the lure of avenging the death of Rebekah, a woman he loved and an Israeli agent. His journey in sea...more
Denise Dougherty
Many years ago, I'd wait (somewhat) patiently for Robert Ludlum's new novel to be publish and then in a matter of days inhale it. Then the waiting would begin again. Since that time, I lost interest in the books. The last Bourne book read was The Bourne Identity.

I did,however, love the Bourne movies with Matt Damon. Guess that is why I picked up this Bourne audio book. Didn't get any further than disk 4. It was a bit confusing when scenes and characters constantly switched locations and then I j...more
Bill Mazzola
Van Lustbader's Bourne books are never going to be the original Ludlum trilogy. Ludlum was much more cerebral and akin to classic spy novels. That being said, this book was Van Lustbader's best one since the first one he wrote. It was a sharp, taut, engaging thriller from start to finish, and I thought it was the best he has written the Jason Bourne character yet. A few books back I was ready to give up, but the last two - this one in particular - make me glad i didn't.
George
This volume in the Bourne series started well and faded at the end. Still Eric Van Luster has much to be proud of. Of the post-death ghostwriters or pre (in the case of Cussler0 he is clearly the best at maintaining a franchise. It's funny Ludlum did 3 of them Lustbader has done maybe 3x as many already. Kinda like Stephen Malkmus' whose afterlife with the Jicks is now far longer and more prolific than his time in Pavement.
Richard
As always, a well-written book to continue the Bourne series and tradition. In this book, Bourne is seeking Retribution for the death of the one he loved, Rebekah, who was killed in Mexico City. His friend, Eli Yadin, head of Israel's Mossad, learns that OOyang Jidan, a senior member of China's Politboro and a major Mexican drug lord, may have been trafficking in something far more deadly than drugs. Bourne agrees to investigate this for Yadin, but only because he has a personal agenda.
V.E. Lynne
Prior to reading 'The Bourne Retribution' I had never, for some reason, read a Jason Bourne novel. I have seen the films though, and liked them, and happily enough I found the character of Jason Bourne in this book to be as enjoyable as the movie version. The story went by, as you would expect, in a blur and proved a good way to spend a couple of afternoons. Would read another instalment in the series.
Tom Tischler
Eli Yadin the head of Mossad and Bourne's friend learns
that Oujang Jidan a senior member of China's Politburo is
a major Mexican drug lord and maybe trafficking in something
more deadly than drugs. He cons Bourne into investigating
and Bourne agrees only because Jidan killed Rebeka one of
the only people Bourne cared about and Bourne is determined
to avenge her, but he becomes enmeshed in a worldwide
scheme involving Chinese, Mexicans and Russians. This takes
him, from Tel Aviv to Shanghai to Mexico...more
Bob
Jason Bourne is at it again on a "mission" for the Mossad and also out to avenge the death of his Love, the agent known as Rebecca. His journey takes him from Israel to China to Mexico and back with numerous death defying adventures on the way. A light read if you like lots of action and a "hero" who can sustain plenty injuries and keep on ticking like the3 energizer bunny...
Tim Sexson
I received this title free through the Goodreads First Reads program. An action-packed adventure with plenty of espionage and world hopping. You never know who is who and who's going to betray someone. Friends are enemies and enemies friends. And definitely like the Bourne movies, has a very quick pace to it. So if you enjoy quick reads, fast action, Jason Bourne, and the movies, you really should pick this up. It's great fun!
John
Excellent book. One of the best books by Eric Van Lustbader in the "Jason Bourne" series. I really liked the twist to the story at the very end concerning "Rebeka" otherwise known as Sara Yadin daughter of Mossad director Eli Yadin. Also I liked the story behind the ongoing rivalry between Ouyang Jidan and Cho Xilan. Finally Eric Van Lustbader did a brillant job concerning the story line of Maricruz Encarnacion, who was reunited with her half sister and mother.I would recommend this book to any...more
Sue
Excellent book in the series. This book focused on Jason Bourne and left out the members of Treadstone that have been in the last few books. It made for a much tighter storyline. The plot was easier to follow but still very interesting and well written. This book, just like the last one, was on the Mexican drug cartels and the Chinese with the Israelis thrown in for good measure. This also made for an interesting story since the personalities, customs and expectations of the characters were all...more
Lou
I liked this book. Jason Bourne is sent on a mission to break up a possible Chinese/Mexican connection which would open a new pipeline of drugs and other illegal stuff. Along the way he is haunted by the death of a woman he loved. As he proceeds on his mission, he counters a lot of switching sides, changed alliances...and an ending that was a real surprise for me.
Scott
This book got off to a slow start. I about quit reading it, but it turned around to be a good book. It is set in Asia and Mexico City. It was a typical Bourne story, with him going around killing people who got in his way. I didn't finish the last Bourne book that I started, and I almost didn't finish this one. I won't look to read many more, but I would read another one due to the ending of this book.
Linda
There is a lot of action in a suspenseful book as Jason Bourne takes on Mexican drug cartels and Chinese politicians. Eli Yadin, director of the Mossad, finds that Ouyang Jidan, a minister of China’s Politburo, has been funding Hamas which is a direct threat to Israel. He needs Jason Bourne to take out Jidan and tells him that he is the man responsible for the death of Rebeka, a woman Jason loved as well as Yadin's daughter. Jason wants revenge and takes on the job. He comes up with old enemies...more
James  Ray
Overall it was a nicely fast-paced story. Like too often in these types of novels, the action does stretch the limits of credibility. I thought the ending was contrived and left me very disappointed.
Sande
I always loved both Robert Ludlum and Eric Van Lustbader's books before Robert died. I think Eric is the best replacement and just keeps getting better.
Cut
Done my Bourne marathon. Can't wait for the next one. I might re-read the whole series again. <3 Bourne
Jill
Mar 02, 2014 Jill rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: jason bourne series, eric van lustbader, fiction
I thought his book was awesome. The character Jason Boiurne has some serious payback to give out.
Kurt
Tough to get into it and too many F### Bombs. Decent story but typical for a Bourne.
Sandy Edidin
I haven't read a Bourne book in a long time. Really exciting, starts with a bang and never let's up. So believable...
Can this scenario really happen? It is possible, just read a Jason Bourne story. Anything is possible...
Khalid Saleem
Jason Bourne through deception and deceit is once again brought back to action to take revenge for the murder of his girlfriend rebecca. the story involves characters depicted wholesomely which keeps the reader occupied in the fast pace action. I personally feel the story was dragged a bit longer but nonetheless, it was a good entertaining read. If your a fan of bourne series, I would recommended giving it a read as to keep up with the the latest happening in the bourne world.
Jessica
Fast pace and entertaining. It took longer then normal to engage me but once there I am committed.
Dinorah Alanís
Me gustó más a partir de la mitad del libro, la primera parte tenía partes en donde los personajes se comportaban o hacían cosas no muy creíbles.
  • The Utopia Experiment (Covert-One, #10)
  • Robert Ludlum's The Janus Reprisal (Covert-One, #9)
  • The Janson Command
  • The Courier (Ryan Kealey, #6)
  • Free Fall: A Prelude to Hidden Order (Scot Harvath, #11.5)
  • Hunt the Scorpion (SEAL Team Six, #2)
  • Command Authority (Jack Ryan, #9)
  • The Polaris Protocol (Pike Logan, #5)
  • The Execution (Jeremy Fisk, #2)
  • The Collected (Jonathan Quinn, #6)
  • Ghost Ship (NUMA Files, #12)
  • Never Send Flowers (John Gardner's Bond, #13)
  • The Facts of Death (James Bond, #2)
  • Sniper's Honor (Bob Lee Swagger, #9)
Eric Van Lustbader was born and raised in Greenwich Village. He is the author of more than twenty-five best-selling novels, including The Ninja, in which he introduced Nicholas Linnear, one of modern fiction's most beloved and enduring heroes. The Ninja was sold to 20th CenturyFox, to be made into a major motion picture. His novels have been translated into over twenty languages.

Mr. Lustbader is...more
More about Eric Van Lustbader...
The Bourne Legacy (Jason Bourne, #4) Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Objective (Jason Bourne, #8) Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Deception (Jason Bourne, #7) The Ninja (Nicholas Linnear, #1) Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Betrayal (Jason Bourne, #5)