Start by marking “Your Personal Paleo Code: The 3-Step Plan to Lose Weight, Reverse Disease, and Stay Fit and Healthy for Life” as Want to Read:

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  1,320 Ratings  ·  111 Reviews
An effective and practical program based on the Paleo lifestyle, customized to fit your needs!

As the Paleo movement sweeps the nation, the health benefits of following the lifestyle of our hunter-gatherer forebears are undeniable. But what happens when we hit a wall and weight loss stalls, energy flags, or we're tired of restricted eating? We're not cavemen anymore, so wh
Published December 31st 2013 by Little, Brown and Company (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Your Personal Paleo Code, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Personal Paleo Code

Jan 16, 2017 Sarah rated it liked it

2017 Reread

In The Paleo Cure, Chris Kresser uses the Paleo diet as a template from which you can tailor a simple yet powerful three-step program-Reset, Rebuild, Revive-to fit your lifestyle, body type, and genetic blueprint. You'll learn how to eliminate the toxic foods that cause illness and weight gain, how to sleep better, exercise like our ancestors, cultivate pleasure, and vastly improve overall health.

Kresser helps further personalize your prescription by addressing specific health condit
Jean
Jan 01, 2014 Jean rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I've been on the Paleo bandwagon for a year now, so there's not much here that's brand new. I picked up Kresser's book already familiar with his website and work. I wanted to read it because I hoped it would help me wade through the overload of nutrition I formation out there--which is exactly what he is trying to do. His main premise is that we should each do the work to find out what foods work best for us, because everyone's ideal diet is different.

When I made my initial radical overhaul to m
Cindy
Jan 26, 2014 Cindy rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
While I have read better books to get started with Paleo the second section of this book was very helpful. In this section Chris writes about rebuilding your life after you do the strict reset. Topics like, adding foods back into your diet, sleep, managing stress, making sure you get outside and how and when to exercise. These were things that I haven't seen discussed in such detail and he has some very good ideas for managing stress and getting enough sleep.

One thing I found incredibly annoying
Sue
Jan 19, 2014 Sue rated it it was amazing
I won a copy of "Your Personal Paleo Code" by Chris Kresser, through the Goodreads Giveaway Contest. He has another follower! Chris Kresser is a practioner of integrative and functional medicine and creator of ChrisKresser.com. I loved this book and I learned so much. I couldn't put this book down and had to finish it to the end. I also had a chance to register on his website and post some questions in the Forum.

For someone who is overweight, losing weight recently, due to gallstone attacks, I a
Edward
Jan 07, 2014 Edward rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-books
Chris Kresser is an integrative medical practitioner and healthy skeptic who is a well-known figure in the Paleo scene. Just like those in the current Paleo Diet movement, Chris advocates having a diet and lifestyle similar to our hunter gatherer ancestors. But instead of a strict and fixed Paleo diet, Chris prescribes a "Paleo template" and suggests each of us to customize what works for us as there is no one size fits all.

This book condenses all the information he has been giving in his blogs
Heather Grothaus
May 06, 2014 Heather Grothaus rated it it was ok
Shelves: diet-and-fitness
This book was disappointing. The information felt incomplete, as the author directed the reader to his website for "bonus chapters" and additional information on every topic touched upon. I'm online all the time--the last thing I'm looking for when I choose a book to wind down with for the evening is to be directed elsewhere for the very information I expected to find in said book.

The prescribed 30-day reset is very restrictive, which is expected and reasonable (although I couldn't understand t
Mar 26, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author does a great job of guarding against fad diets, and encouraging people to do what works for their body. I was glad to see that his version of paleo wasn't super strict, but instead explained to readers nutrients and the way the body works. He adds special sections to many chapters for those who have special health concerns: gluten intolerance, diabetes, obesity, etc.

Additionally, I was glad to see that he does ongoing research on collected nutrition studies and isn't selling anything.
Darrin Holst
Dec 31, 2013 Darrin Holst rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like how he uses paleo as a baseline for 30 days and then walks you through things to tweak or add back as you regain your health. Very well done.
Kate
Feb 03, 2014 Kate rated it really liked it
I'm marking this book as 4 stars, but only really for a certain kind of reader. If you don't know much about Paleo/Primal diets but are quite interested in them and want a book that will give you a good amount of basic information, and will be something you can keep coming back to as a resource for that basic information, this is a great book. I suppose I'd classify it as a more informative version of all those popular health, diet, and nutrition books. And for what it is, it's done well.

If you
Sarah Fisher
Apr 18, 2015 Sarah Fisher rated it really liked it
I read this book, not to become paleo (I think it seems extreme), but to understand it. I also listen to Chris Kresser's podcast. The book does a good job of explaining the latest research on diet ( in great detail). I found the chapter on fats particularly interesting and helpful. If you have any chronic health issue - auto immune disease, digestion problems, etc. this would be a good place to start learning about a healing/healthy diet and lifestyle.
Spuddie
Dec 31, 2015 Spuddie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keepers
I listened to the audio version and have a print version to refer to and follow along with as needed, for the quizzes, tests, lists and charts, etc. I have admired this author's approach to diet and health from watching his podcasts and reading his blog, and this book brought it all together in one place.
Kristen
I found this book very helpful while trying to find a diet that alleviated some of the symptoms of anxiety I feel. And it really did. The 30 day diet had me feeling better than I have for a long time, and I really enjoyed how Kresser outlined it, and how he structured his book so that you could follow along as you did the diet.
Cathy
May 06, 2014 Cathy rated it liked it
Good intro to Paleo, although very similar to "It Starts with Food" which I liked a bit better. I do like the way the author doesn't try to fit everyone into one standard eating plan. He puts an emphasis on figuring out what works for each person.
Jason Koppe
Jan 06, 2014 Jason Koppe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paleo, food, health
This is the best book I've read about the Paleo lifestyle. It's the one I'll recommend to people wanting to learn about it that are open to reading a book with the word Paleo in the title. Chris rules.
Venus Windmiller
Another healthy living book that provides fundamentals of eating well. We all know we should but do you know why? This book has great information that will help educate you on how important nutrition is.
Kristina Rintautaitė
Mar 25, 2014 Kristina Rintautaitė rated it did not like it
Just another book about a stupid diet. Written by an acupuncturist! I would only trust diet books or any "science" based books that are written by people with real Ph.ds.
Aneliya Petrunova
Mar 13, 2017 Aneliya Petrunova rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chris Kresser's The Paleo Cure is a book I would recommend to anyone. Yes, one more tacky title, we've seen a lot of those - the word "cure" would normally be enough to put me on my guard. But I had done my homework - this is Kresser's revamped version of his older book, Your Personal Paleo Code (I am not actually sure if it has been revised and supplemented in any way or just the title has been changed). And since I have felt more and more attracted to paleo, after eating low carb for years and ...more
Suzanne Barrett
Apr 20, 2014 Suzanne Barrett rated it it was amazing
Chris Kresser, an integrative medicine practitioner, is one of the top names in the Paleo movement which has become ever more popular. One has only to look to see the proliferation of paleo cookbooks now on store shelves. My local Costco has no less than six this week. Your Personal Paleo Code is not a cookboon per se, but more a science-backed how-to manual. However, instead of teaching conformance to “rules”, Kresser shows that the “one size fits all” approach should not be dogma for everyone. ...more
Rebekka Steg
Your Personal Paleo Code: The 3-Step Plan to Lose Weight, Reverse Disease, and Stay Fit and Healthy for Life (I read the UK edition Your Personal Paleo Diet: Feel and look great by eating the foods that are ideal for your body) is one of the very best introductions I have read to the Paleo dietary template. Chris Kresser is one of my favourite resources when it comes to health and wellness, both his blog, podcast and now book are wonderfully packed with knowledge and information.

One of the thing
Manrix
Sep 05, 2014 Manrix rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Despite the five star rating, I am critical of certain aspects of the book, but overall I was very impressed with the amount of research and how easy and engaging it was to read about nutritional value. The book has a very clear structure with many paragraphs under two pages that make it easy to keep going, because you constantly feel you've learned something new, and want to learn more.
The scientific backbone of this book is its major appeal. The approach to food (and lifestyle) comes from a lo
Megan
Feb 26, 2017 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I've been following a paleo template for over a year and this is definitely the book to turn to if you've felt improvements but not enough. I agree with an earlier review that this book is not for the paleo/primal "newbie." Definitely worth a read if you've been following paleo template for a while and want to fine tune things a bit.
Emily Crow
Nov 20, 2013 Emily Crow rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. This review is of a free copy I received as a Good Reads First Reads giveaway.

I've read several Paleo books with interest, as eating more like our (distant) ancestors makes intuitive sense to me. I have a thyroid problem and some other minor issues that doctors have not been very helpful with, so improving my health through diet and lifestyle would be ideal. I'm still not completely convinced that Paleo is the best approach--the whole "anti-nutrient" argument about legumes, for exampl
Paul
Feb 06, 2014 Paul rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book! Chris nailed all of the current thinking in the Paleosphere. This is NOT a diet book. This is not a health book. This is a handbook for how to transform your lifestyle from eating toxic, manufactured food products and being sedentary to eating real, living food and making movement part of your routine.

This book is not for the feint of heart, however. It's long, dense, and filled with rational, scientifically backed explanations about how and why your body act the way it does. Thi
Anne
Oct 14, 2014 Anne rated it liked it
In general, I like Chris Kresser's work. I think it's better on his blog, and that's too bad (for him) because you don't have to pay for his blog content.

This book uses the word "Paleo" in the title and that's unfortunate because he admits that he starts from Sally Fallon's pre-industrial eating patterns in "Nourishing Traditions." Perhaps "Paleo" is the best word we have for eating pre-industrial foods (little to no refined sugar and grains; a diet of mostly plants and especially plant roots;
Elena Cotton
Jun 14, 2016 Elena Cotton rated it really liked it
This book was very helpful in outlining the benefits of a paleo lifestyle. I picked up this book because I wanted to start a whole 30 (I had already read "it starts with food" about a year ago) and wanted a refresher/motivational kick. While this books "30 day reset" is a bit different than a whole 30, the principles are the same and for my purposes, the guidelines were pretty much interchangeable. I really appreciated the authors practical, flexible guidelines for maintaining a primary paleo di ...more
Marina (Good Reads Mad Reads Radio)
At first glance this book can be deceiving. I admit that I passed over this book a few times thinking by the title that it was a diet book. While interested in the paleo lifestyle I wasn't someone who could see myself restricting so much of what I eat forever, and that's why this book ended up being perfect for me. its not a diet book its a huge information resource that's not just one sided. It is not only a great resource for people looking to fix health issues and stay healthy it is also a gr ...more
Martha
Aug 13, 2014 Martha rated it really liked it
This diet is more along the lines of something I can recommend over other paleo diets because it's a bit less serious. I think that some of these paleo diets are a little on the crazy side, and don't use current research and genetic alterations (e.g., some of use still have the ability to digest and enjoy cheese - so why not?) in their plan. Some of the suggestions are a bit out there - there's no way that most people aren't going to sit at work, period. I'm not getting a treadmill desk - come o ...more
Erin
Jan 12, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
I've been reading a lot of paleo books recently, and when I saw this come out I thought--what's one more?!? I like Chris Kresser--he always seems to be reasonable about Paleo and this book was no exception. Some of his book reminded me of Mark Sisson's The Primal Connection, but there's only so many ways to say "Get out and move more and eat right--it's good for your body!" and I'm not faulting Kresser for that. He explains things very thoroughly (sometimes VERY thoroughly) but I learned some ne ...more
Livewire516
Jan 17, 2014 Livewire516 rated it it was amazing
I've been following a paleo-inspired diet since around 2007-2008. I've read countess popular diet books of all kinds and many paleo books. I also appreciate sleep/movement/stress management/meaningful activities/ and relationships as important pillars of health. Because I have a BS in Nutrition, work in public health, and follow Chris Kresser's blog and podcast, very little of the information was new to me. But there is so much value in the logical, concise way he presents the information.

If I
Kristin
Dec 02, 2013 Kristin rated it liked it
Shelves: health-and-diet
This is the book I wish I would have had a year ago when I first embarked on an overwhelming elimination diet to try to get to the root of some health problems. It is a great outline of how to do a thirty day reset followed by food reintroductions.

The "personal" aspect of the personal paleo code is that everyone's diet will look different, depending on things like one's tolerance of dairy, health conditions, and weight loss goals. I liked that there was no one-size-fits-all approach to macro-nu
Madison Mega-Mara...: #32 Your Personal Paleo Code 1 1 Apr 10, 2014 02:27PM
  • The Paleo Approach: Reverse Autoimmune Disease and Heal Your Body
  • Gather, the Art of Paleo Entertaining
  • The Ancestral Table: Traditional Recipes for a Paleo Lifestyle
  • Sweet Potato Power: Smart Carbs:  Paleo and Personalized
  • Perfect Health Diet: Regain Health and Lose Weight by Eating the Way You Were Meant to Eat
  • Sexy by Nature: The Whole Foods Solution to Radiant Health, Life-Long Sex Appeal, and Soaring Confidence
  • The Paleo Kitchen: Finding Primal Joy in Modern Cooking
  • Eat the Yolks
  • Paleo Comfort Foods: Homestyle Cooking for a Gluten-Free Kitchen
  • The Primal Connection: Follow Your Genetic Blueprint to Health and Happiness
  • Well Fed 2: More Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat
  • The 21-Day Sugar Detox: Bust Sugar & Carb Cravings Naturally
  • The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook: An Allergen-Free Approach To Managing Chronic Illness
  • Primal Cravings: Your Favorite Foods Made Paleo
  • The Protein Power Lifeplan
  • Paleo Lunches and Breakfasts On the Go: The Solution to Gluten-Free Eating All Day Long with Delicious, Easy and Portable Primal Meals
  • The Diet Cure
  • Against All Grain: Delectable Paleo Recipes to Eat Well & Feel Great

“Humans don’t have rumens, multiple stomach chambers, or the enzymes to break down cellulose, so we can’t extract any nutrients from grass if we eat it. Fortunately, there is a solution to this problem: rather than eating the grass, humans can let animals do the hard work of assimilating the nutrients from grass, and then we can eat the animals.” 0 likes
“Studies that have compared the amount of nutrients absorbed from each type of rice have shown that humans absorb more nutrients from white rice. Why? Because the antinutrients in brown rice, like phytic acid, interfere with the absorption of the nutrients it contains. Brown rice also reduces dietary protein and fat digestibility.” 0 likes