Start by marking “Terlahir Sedih (Born Blue)” as Want to Read:
Terlahir Sedih (Born Blue)

Terlahir Sedih (Born Blue)

3.78  ·  Rating Details ·  1,881 Ratings  ·  203 Reviews
Percayalah, buah apel bisa terlempar jauh dari pohonnya ...

Dia tak memiliki nama keluarga. Dia tak punya rumah yang sesungguhnya. Tetapi dia punya mimpi ...

Janie ... Leshaya ..., apa pun nama panggilannya, adalah seseorang yang berhasil bertahan hidup. Selamat dari ambang maut, bocah yang kecanduan heroin ini telah mengalami semuanya: berpindah-pindah panti asuhan, kekeras
softcover, 378 pages
Published 2006 by Serambi (first published December 31st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Terlahir Sedih, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Terlahir Sedih

Becky
May 24, 2012 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: era-jr-high

When I eat by myself in the cafeteria I bring a book with me so I don’t seem so pathetic. But really I only read about a page because I am trying to get in and out as fast as possible.
Tonight during dinner I opened up Born Blue and it was 20 minutes before I realized I had stopped eating. And once I realized that I didn’t want to get up because I didn’t want to lose the time I could be reading it on the walk back to my dorm.
I first read Born Blue by Han Nolan in 7th grade. It was my first time r
Alexa Cruz
Oct 27, 2011 Alexa Cruz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every one
A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.
First book to come to mind when I think of favorite books.
Couldn't put it down. The words created vivid imagery. It makes you really think about the book.
Bianka
Nov 05, 2008 Bianka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Born Blue
By Han Nolan
277 pp.Orlando, Florida
Harcourt Inc. $6.95
ISBN- 0-15-204697-6

Born Blue by Han Nolan is an inspirational book because of the growth and strength a girl builds with the lack of family and stability. Her actions are clearly stated and foster teenagers can relate to her. This book portrays the developing years from a child to young adult of a Caucasian girl bouncing around from place to place. Until she ends up with the woman that left her in the beginning – her mother. You neve
Natalie Norris
I realy wasn't expecting to like this novel as much as I did. I wasn't into the bad childlike writing and language. Though as I kept reading I had begun to see what it all meant.

This story is about a troubled young girl, named Janie, but She later changes her name to leshaya. In this novel, you will see how this young woman overcomes her obstacles and never gives up on her dreams.

Brandi
Oct 16, 2009 Brandi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's this girl named Jamie who loves and lives to sing. She grows up with a drug addict for a mother who eventually almost drowns her in the Gulf of Mexico. Then Jamie is taken into a foster home where she meets her future best friend, Harmon. Harmon and Jamie spend time together until Harmon is eventually adopted by the Smiths, an upper class black family. Then, one day, while Jamie is on her way home, she is kidnapped by her mother. Her mother takes her to live with a drug dealer named Mitc ...more
Ally
The main thing about this book that keeps you reading is the voice of it. Written in first person, it feels like Leshaya (the main character), is talking directly to you.

Aside from the voice of the story, Born Blue is also very touching, and has a strong, independent female character that is very inspiring.

As you read, you start from Leshaya's childhood,and move with her as she gets older and runs into more trouble.

The book was captivating from the very beginning, was strong, and had an import
Jessica
Jul 20, 2008 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
You start off by feeling bad for this poor little girl and then just end up getting annoyed with a stupid teenager who becomes a slut and a druggie and your not sure she's really learned her lesson by the end of it. You want to care for her but at the same time she's been given so many options to turn her life around and she never took them.
Heather
Jan 20, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Born Blue is a really great book because it is about the reality of being homeless.This a situation that some people have to face everyday that i never understood until now.You get to know the main character Leshaya really good,you almost feel like know her personally.She has a special talent for singing and has a dream to someday be a famous singer.Her story is touching and meaningful.
elisabeth
Aug 12, 2011 elisabeth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
i can barley get past the first couple of pages. this book has very bad gramar.
Mike
2.5/5

To recap, in case you haven't read my previous reviews: I think Crazy is one of the best books in the world, my love for it makes me too hard on other books by Han Nolan, If I Should Die Before I Wake was mediocre.

This book was another merely average entry from Nolan. I'm starting to think I should just give up on trying to find anything good in the same way Crazy was, because this was nowhere near that level. I'm not saying this is a bad book, because it isn't. Nolan really does try to wri
Asriani
Dec 12, 2012 Asriani rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Setiap orang memiliki alasan dibalik semua hal yang dilakukannya. Kalimat itulah yang menjadi pegangan saya sejak lama ketika berhadapan dengan orang – orang yang jauh berbeda terutama dari segi pemikiran. Walaupun kalimat itu tidak cukup ampun untuk membuat saya berhenti memberi cap baik dan buruk. Semua itu karena pemahaman yang saya pikir sudah mengakar begitu dalam. Semua itu kembali saya ungkapkan ketika membaca novel karya Han Nolan ini.

Di usia yang sangat belia, Janie harus tinggal terpis
Carlyn
Born Blue had interesting characters and a pretty good storyline, but it was honestly a let down. Although it took me less than a day to read through the book, I found myself re-reading lines, and then re-reading them again because the writing was so odd. It wasn't bad, per say, but it was different in the sense that barely any of the book was written in proper English. The first sentence is "In my first memory, I be drowning." The book did catch me there, and I was confused by that line so I co ...more
Allie Williams
Mar 03, 2013 Allie Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Born Blue by Han Nolan is an exceptional book. Han Nolan has written many other books, all very successful. She grew up in New York and has always loved to make up stories. Han has always been very active and has written her whole life.

Born Blue is about a girl, who is first named Janie, with a mother that is addicted to heroin. When Janie was just a little girl she was left by her high mother “Mama Linda” in the Gulf Of Mexico while she was drowning. Janie later changes her name to Leyshaya a
Lisa James
This is in the YA category. Ultimately, it's rather sad because the ending leaves you hanging & you never know if Jane/Leshaya cleans up her act, & grows up to realize her dream of being a jazz/R & B singer, or whether she gets back on the drug merry go round she's been on. Given what she's already been through, her mother a heroin addict who had her removed & sent to a bad foster home, then kidnapped from the foster home by her mother on an unannounced visit & in essence, tr ...more
Patrick
Dec 26, 2007 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novelist-reviews
Janie, aka Leshaya, is a survivor; it is not as if she has any choice in the matter, since life keeps dealing her knockout blows. Born to a heroin-addicted mother, her childhood is spent in foster homes, passed around from person to person, few of whom take time to parent her. Her only salvation is music, for when she opens her mouth to sing, then and only then does Janie feel alive. Yet she looks everywhere for love: in food, in drugs, and always, always, falling in with the wrong man. Her moth ...more
Desiray
Maricarmen V
Oct 31, 2011 Maricarmen V rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book very much because it had so much deatil. Born blue was full of suspense, I'd always want to keep reading and reading. Leshaya was a fansinating character, and the life she had simply astonished me. She went through so many hard times, so many times where she needed someone but there wasn't anyone there. She truely had to go on her own, survive all on her own and at such a young age.
Spider the Doof Warrior
Han Nolan is an excellent Young Adult writer. In this book we encounter large amounts of pain and suffering and a passion for music that gets Janie/Leshaya through her horrible, abusive life. It really isn't a book for the faint hearted, but it manages to handle issues like drug abuse, teen pregnancy and AIDS in a powerful and realistic way.
Courtney
Mar 12, 2011 Courtney rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen-fiction
I think I read this. All I remember is that there was a girl who loved Etta James and wanted to become a singer. I did a google search and this is what came up. If I can't remember how to spell today I can't remember what I read 10 years ago. lol.
Jourdan
Jul 03, 2008 Jourdan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book was so cool. highly recommend reading it
Sarah Cash
Jan 25, 2010 Sarah Cash rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was difficult to read this book without wanting to make grammatical corrections.
LadyInMAC
Jun 09, 2017 LadyInMAC rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Horrible. I understand why the author wrote it the way she did, but for me, given how this girl grew up and the environment she was in, but it annoyed me so much that I was getting a headache from attempting to decipher what the girl was saying. I gave up fairly quickly. One of the worst books I've ever purchased and a waste of money.
Lisa Vaigafa
Jan 11, 2017 Lisa Vaigafa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my best reads!! Great story!
K
Feb 14, 2017 K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trying to imagine being neglected was transparent. Trying to imagine being trapped in drug’s embrace was forlorn. But trying to imagine going through both was terrifying and unimaginable. Leshaya has gone through both and so much more, all under the age of 16. “Born Blue” is written through the eyes of a teen transitioning to be an adult, born into a blue life and born to love the Blues.

Janie, more known as Leshaya, was malevolent and slightly detrimental. Leshaya was the child of a heroin addi
Jennifer Jederberg
A very indeaf book. you will never loose your consintration....cause i didn't....and in away it relates to our everyday life...only its more intense and theres more detail.

At only 4 years old, Janie is taken from her mother Linda and put into Foster care. I believe, since she told us this firs
Virna
Reading this book reminded me of my troubled students. One thing for sure, parents make all the difference. I can tell lots of stories about my silver-spoon-fed students - those whose parents told them they don't have to worry about money the rest of their lives - and they are no different with Janie/Leshaya of this story.

Janie grew up in foster care; her mother gave her up to an abusive foster parents. From the beginning there's always been someone who still cared for her, like Doris, the soci
Kailey
May 29, 2012 Kailey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Born Blue Review

Some people don’t always have the easy, relaxed life. Not knowing

your own father, always moving from home to home, and experiencing

things a normal teenager never should. But this happens to be reality

for some people.Take a journey through this tough lifestyle. It’s not a

walk in the park. You can literally feel your gut wrench, not knowing

what's going to be the end result. I’m not a bookworm by any means, but

I was for this book! My hands were super glued to Born Blue, I ju
Rosie
Nov 04, 2008 Rosie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Born Blue is a very inspirational book. This book inspired me to not give up on my dream no matter what bumps in life may come up, but as long as you stay on track and focus on what you need to be successful. While reading the emotions I felt were disappointment and excitement. I felt very disappointed when Janie broke her promise with Paul. Paul told Janie to stay clean if she wanted to live with him and for along time she keeps it. After hooking up with Paul’s friend one night she broke her pr ...more
Paige [eastIndies.]
The words of this book were very powerful--everything about the writing was strong, with the voice, the diction, the jargon, etc. And this story has the potential to be very moving and I'm sure it is to many many people, and for that I can really appreciate this novel. However, there were a few things that irked me about this book... As much as I admire stories like this (even if they are gruesome and heartbreaking), this one didn't seem as realistic as it could have been. It had the potential t ...more
3Manny Dunbar
Born Blue is one of the best books ever. one of the reasons why it is a great book is because of the main character Janie. Janie has no other choice but to stay with her abusive foster parents Patsy and pete. She is starved to death everyday. The only thing she eats is sugar and bread. Janie only has one thing that keeps her sanity and that is singing. Janie's inspirations for singing are etta James, Aretha Franklin, Ella Fitzgerald, Odetta etc. the only best friend that Janie has throughout thi ...more
Leifheit/Riggs/Mo...: Born Blue 1 12 Dec 13, 2012 04:40PM
  • The Long Night of Leo and Bree
  • Lap Dancing for Mommy: Tender Stories of Disgust, Blame and Inspiration
  • Mastering Creative Anxiety: 24 Lessons for Writers, Painters, Musicians, and Actors from America's Foremost Creativity Coach
  • Scribbling in the Sand
  • Storky: How I Lost My Nickname and Won the Girl
  • Gifts from the Sea
  • Boy Kills Man
  • Donuthead
Han Nolan is widely acclaimed for her evocative language, her gritty subject matter, and her ability to plumb the psyche of her characters. Her books include Dancing on the Edge, which won the National Book Award, Send Me own a Miracle, a finalist for the National Book Award, Born Blue, A Summer of Kings, and several other acclaimed novels. She and her husband live on the East Coast.
More about Han Nolan...