The Cat, the Mill and the Murder (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #5)

The Cat, the Mill and the Murder (A Cats in Trouble Mystery #5)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  363 ratings  ·  62 reviews

Jeannie refuses to leave the mill or abandon Boots, her cat who died...more
ebook
Published May 7th 2013 by NAL (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat, the Mill and the Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat, the Mill and the Murder

Paul Lunger
The 5th installment in Leann Sweeney's Cats in Trouble mystery series, "The Cat, the Mill & the Murder" has our heroine Jillian Hart helping out with a colony of feral cats at a local closed mill. There she finds Jeannie who has been missing for more than a decade & then stumbles onto a dead body after Jeannie lands in the hospital due to an accident. Between ghost cats & the usual assortment of characters, Sweeney does one of her better jobs with the story from start to finish as th...more
Sue Ross
What a beautiful and sweet mystery!!! It was a mystery over 10 years old. Who was it living in the mill all that time? Why were they there and who were the creepers? Leann Sweeney has done it again. I love the fact that her characters are such pet people and care so much about the ferel cats. Now I'm ready for the next one!!!!
Sara
How does Leann Sweeney just keep getting better!?

I've enjoyed Leann Sweeney's writing since I picked up the first book in the Yellow Rose series. Each entry was better than the last, then she started the Cats In Trouble series so of course I had to follow! I was hooked from the first book and this latest entry did not disappoint!

Jillian Hart is helping her friend Shawn with the feral cat colony in an old mill...yes, she wants to save the cats and trapping them is the best option, but her interes...more
LORI CASWELL
In this fifth installment of the Cats in Trouble series Jillian has volunteered to help relocate a clowder of feral cats from on old mill so the city can help investors revamp the space. She was quite surprised to also find a woman living in the mill. Jeannie went missing from Mercy 10 years ago shortly after her daughter disappeared.

Jeannie has no plans to evacuate the mill where she lives with her cat Boots. She tells Jillian, it is a “holy place” and she must protect it from “creepers”. When...more
Ellen
The Cat, the Mill and the Murder

Are you a lover of Cozy mysteries? True Cozies?

Are you right at home and in your element with characters you've grown accustom to and enjoy reading about and being in their company?

Do you appreciate authors who build up to a climax & at the same time evolve relationships with the characters?

If you said "Yes" to any of these questions then this is the author and the cozy (series) for you.

This latest installment in the Cats in Trouble mystery series has Jilli...more
Ian
May 17, 2013 Ian rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of cozy murder mysteries.
Cat lover and expert on the textiles industry, Jillian finds herself helping to clear out an old textiles mill of feral cats. While there she discovers an old homeless woman and the skeletal remains of a young girl. With the help of a ghost cat (Boots) which adopts her, she is on the trail of the young woman's killer and determined to help the old woman find a home.

The Cat, the Mill and the Murder is pretty much a lesson in what a cozy murder mystery should be. It's the sort of book you read by...more
Marigold D
You know how people talk about curling up with a good book? For me, this was that book.
I read cozy mysteries every now and then and this was the first book of the series I read, even though it’s actually book number 5 in the series. That fact didn’t matter at all – I was able to jump right in without any prior knowledge and the story and characters just all flowed wonderfully. It was a comforting, encouraging read.
I really liked Leann Sweeney’s lightly educational description of the American sou...more
Amy
This was a 10 year old mystery that had never been solved. Who is living in the mill? Where did the body come from? Start out with one murder, but a second occurs.
This was a beautiful story with people really caring and that made the characters so real.
Also love the cats being such a big part of the story.
Anne-Kathrine
On Note 2.
Again enjoyed this book in this series :)
Debbie
Posted from my blog: A Different kind of review

As planned, I picked up The Cat, The Mill and the Murder shortly after it was released in early May. I’ve read Leanne Sweeney‘s mystery books before, and this one didn’t disappoint. Not only was it a satisfying read with a great mystery and an unexpected last sentence, but the backdrop was a subject near and dear to me, textile mills and textile history. Normally, I would buy an e-book edition of what I’m reading, but seeing that this involved a tex...more
bella
I've enjoyed this series since the first book, The Cat, the Quilt and the Corpse. They are intelligent mysteries that seem like they are written with cat lovers in mind. They deal with some tough social issues (including feral cat populations and kitten mills), and they remain one of my favorite cozy mystery series.

That's why when I discover a new one is going to be released I don't hesitate to pre-order it. This is a series I must read on release day!!

The latest in the series, The Cat, the Mill...more
Roxann
From the cover; When cat lover and quilter Jillian Hart volunteers to help a local animal shelter relocate a colony of feral cats living in an abandoned textile mill, she never expects to find a woman living there, too. Jeannie went missing from Mercy, South Carolina, a decade ago, after her own daughter’s disappearance.

Jeannie refuses to leave the mill or abandon Boots, her cat who died years ago. After all, she and Boots feel the need to protect the premises from “creepers” who come in the nig...more
Annette
This is the best of the series.

Jillian is a widowed quilt maker and a cat lover. She lives in a small town and is involved with much of what goes on when it comes to helping people in life.

Her friends include Candace, a dedicated detective on the police department. They are close friends and that means Jillian is allowed to participate in investigations in ways that normally would not be allowed.

Also, in town is Kara, Jillian's stepdaughter who owns the local newspaper and Tom, the man who love...more
Aurian Booklover
The local textile mill in Mercy, South Carolina, has been abandoned for many years now, and is slowly falling apart. And now, suddenly, two different investor groups have plans for the refurbishing of the old place, and the Mercy Council will have to decide which plan has the most benefit for the town. To find that out, they have hired a young architect to study the mill, and recommend what is needed to convert the old place in condo’s or a mill museum with shops. But first, they will have to re...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Five Stars for the fifth book in this well-written, engrossing, and interesting series, A Cats in Trouble Mystery.

Pet quilt maker, and animal lover, especially cats, Jillian Hart is volunteered by a local animal shelter's founder to aid him in capturing the feral cat population that has taken up shelter in a soon to be developed old texture mill. However, there is more than cats found inside...a homeless woman cowering away from 'creepers.' The homeless woman is also trying to protect her cat, B...more
Julie Mink
Another great mystery in this series. I love the ghost cat who made an appearance in this story and helped solve the murder and help catch the killer.
In this series the various characters are very engaging. I am alway anxious for the next book to come out. I like this series even better than the first series she wrote and it was good.
Mary
This is part of the "Cats in trouble" series. I haven't read any of the others yet but I didn't have any problem keeping the characters straight. When Jillian Hart, who makes a living creating and selling quilts, agrees to help relocate a feral cat colony from an abandoned mill about to be renovated, she discovers a woman living there who supposedly vanished a decade before. The reason she is living there ties into the mill's history and the renovation proposals before the city council. Two murd...more
'jean
I needed a light book that had a happy ending after the last book I read. I appreciated the little bit of history that was also wrapped into the book...I wonder how accurate it was. I didn't realize until I logged into Goodreads that I had read another in this series about 3.5 years ago.
Angie Butcher
This book was really unpleasant. The presence of a ghost cat really kept me from enjoying the book. It felt completely unrealistic and the writing wasn't very interesting.
Tina Reitz
As usual the best. Everytime I finish reading a Jillian mystery, I dot want to say goodbye to her and the cats!
Colleen Leyrer
Great book. Had to read it a bit slower, because I realized I only had 1 book left after this one :(
Kelley
Another solid outing by Leann Sweeney. I really enjoy this series, mostly b/c it involves an older, intelligent female. She is strong, independent, loyal, and she is written as a honest, hard working person. I just wish there wasn't a paranormal element to this particular book. Sweeney doesn't need to fall into the cliche of ghosts that SO many authors are writing nowadays. Her writing is so smart and funny, she doesn't need a "hook". I hope this was a one time thing, and her next book goes back...more
Tammie
As usual, I loved Jillian, Candace, and everyone else who populates Mercy. This one was a little sad, though. I do like how the characters are being drawn out, fleshed out at a natural pace. Having said that, I do wish the author would back up a little with the Jillian/Tom romance. I like having Jillian living independently with her fur babies. Overall, very happy with this series, and hope there's many more to come.
Julie
Such an enjoyable series. Purrfect reading for cat lovers.
Elaine Morton
Love the characters. Neat situation.
Ann
getting bored with the series
Beth Revers
I think I skipped a couple in this series, but when I saw this on the shelf I couldn't resist. I love the characters in this book, the cats and the quilt lady. This one added a ghost cat, and was really very good. The rescue work that is done, and the people involved are always interesting. This mystery had roots deep in the town, that Jillian learns about as we do.
Betty
Apr 13, 2014 Betty rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cats, mystery paranormal
Julian & Shawn along with an engineer, Dustin to relocate a colony of feral cats. To their surprise they find a homeless woman who has been missing for a number of years. Julian decides to help her with the aide with of a white cat that only Jeanne, homeless, & Julian can see. There an excellent description of the difference between feral & stray cats. Having read all of Ms Sweeny's books, she has developed as an suberb author. Her stories are interesting & great reads.
  • Cat Trick (Magical Cats, #4)
  • Words With Fiends (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #3)
  • Out of Circulation (Cat in the Stacks, #4)
  • Not the Killing Type (A Booktown Mystery, #7)
  • The Big Kitty (Sunny & Shadow Mystery, #1)
  • The Diva Frosts a Cupcake (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #7)
  • A Custom-Fit Crime (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #4)
  • Written in Stone (A Books by the Bay Mystery #4)
  • Kneading to Die (Pawsitively Organic Mystery #1)
  • The Thrill of the Haunt (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #5)
  • Lending a Paw (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery #1)
  • Murder of the Cat's Meow (A Scumble River Mystery, #15)
  • Looming Murder: A Weaving Mystery
  • Every Trick in the Book (Novel Idea, #2)
  • The Christie Curse (Book Collector Mystery #1)
  • One Dead Cookie (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #4)
Leann Sweeney was born and raised in Niagara Falls and educated at St. Joseph's Hospital and Lemoyne College in Syracuse, NY. She also has a degree from the University of Houston in behavioral science and worked for many years in psychiatry. Currently a school nurse, she began writing about fifteen years ago, fulfilling her lifelong dream. After perfecting her writing skills with classes and a sma...more
More about Leann Sweeney...
The Cat, the Quilt and the Corpse (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #1) Pick Your Poison (A Yellow Rose Mystery, #1) The Cat, the Lady and the Liar (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #3) The Cat, The Professor and the Poison (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #2) The Cat, the Wife and the Weapon (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #4)