Start by marking “My Cowboy Heart (The Cowboys, #1)” as Want to Read:
My Cowboy Heart (The Cowboys, #1)

My Cowboy Heart (The Cowboys #1)

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  1,534 Ratings  ·  227 Reviews
A cowboy's heart has room for anything…

J-Bar ranch foreman Malloy pretty much keeps to himself—slinking around the edges of everybody else like an old coyote, doing his job and staying private. That is until Crispin Carrasco shows up.

Lean, muscular, and with a motor mouth that won’t quit, Crispin sparks something in Malloy—something the foreman didn’t know was there. But
Published August 20th 2013 by Intermix

To ask other readers questions about My Cowboy Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Cowboy Heart

Susan
Dec 08, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it

Well, well, well…this book was lovely. Lovely in the sense that 2 men grow to love each other and they fight to be together. And I can read that story all day, every day.

I have to admit, I wasn’t feeling this as the book started. The characters are not the type that you just “take” to right away. Crispin is overly talkative, a bit flamboyant, kinda emo, and unsettles things at the J-Ranch. Malloy is the steady (read: boring) ranch foreman who is surprised to find himself attracted to C
Tina
Jan 09, 2014 Tina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cowboys

I love it when books take me on a journey I haven't expected. When I saw the „fluffy“ title and the cover I thought it would be another nice read about cowboys, horses, finding love and hot sex. Yada yada yada...

What I got was much much more. Speed 'Jefe' Malloy and Crispin Carrasco pulled all my heartstrings, ripped my heart apart, put it back together and ripped it apart all over again.

Malloy is the quiet and lonely foreman of the J-Bar Ranch. He has lived and worked there since the owners Cra
Ami
Despite my seemingly complaint shown on my status update, I loved this book. It was definitely better when Malloy dropped the kid thing (though the dreaded "baby" did make an appearance, said by Crispin to Malloy. But I changed those when I read it ).

The story didn't have overwhelming drama. While Malloy might be only involved with women before Crispin came into his life, but he didn't contemplate too long to realize that he could be happy with Crispin.

I loved the differences between the two gu
Macky
I have to say that this was probably one of my most favourite cowboy stories up to now. Not because this is an all out Ride 'em cowboy/ yeehaw! m/m ranch romance full of Dallas style sex and drama, or hot rodeo star rivals falling in love on the circuit or the ranch owner who can't keep his hands off the cocky young ranch hand, incurring the wrath of the homophobic small town they live in.

No, I loved this because even though its far more understated and subtle than that, I still felt it was a s
Trisha Harrington
This was a really emotional book. It started off funny enough and I really got into it. But I hadn't expected a book as emotional as this one. It was a book that had great characters, an interesting plot, and something that showed the kindness in people's hearts. I loved the fact that Mallory and Crispin had somewhat similar pasts. It was nice to see those similarities as both men had lost people in their lives.

The book is told in Mallory's POV and I found it wonderful. I'm a huge fan of 1st per
Eli Easton
Dec 13, 2013 Eli Easton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is definitely a 5+ star read for me and I'm surprised to see so many 4 star reviews! The writing in this is just beautiful and the characterizations so rich and true and I actually found myself slowing down to savor every word.

Some of the things I loved:
* the soap opera that ensued when a gorgeous young cowboy was dropped into an isolated bunk house with 3 supposedly straight ranch hands -- ay carumba!
* the first person voice of Speed. His internal thoughts as he realized he had feelings fo
Kaje Harper
Aug 26, 2013 Kaje Harper rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, comfort-reread
This is a lovely, quiet romance about a lonely man finding out that his world and his heart are bigger and more complicated than he ever imagined.

Malloy has been on the J-Bar ranch ever since he arrived as a foster kid with no posessions, a neglected and painful childhood, and a deep need for some adult whom he could believe in and trust. He found that adult in ranch owner Crandall Jenkins, and to a lesser degree in his wife Emma. For the first time, Malloy was around people who kept their word,
Simsala
What`s better than a cowboy with a heart of gold?
Two cowboys with a heart of gold!
Story/plot was nothing new and not overly exciting, but I fell in love with these wonderful, adorable characters. The five stars are for them.
Debra
This was a nice, understated romance of two men finding love and finding themselves. Malloy, the ranch foreman, is pretty much a loner. As a teenager he was saved by the Jenkins family and has since lived and devoted his life to them and the ranch. He has no real other relationships to speak of and as foreman, keeps his distance from the others he bunks with.

When out and proud Crispin shows up on the ranch as the new hand (and friend of the Jenkins family), Malloy is tasked by Mr. Jenkins with m
Nic
Jan 19, 2014 Nic rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm, cowboy, zz-amazon-yes
This is a beautiful romance that shows what love and family are all about. It is heartwarming and tender with some emotionally charged moments.

Malloy had a very sad upbringing with a drug addicted mother who was always looking for the next man or the next fix. He largely had to fend for himself until Crandall Jenkins and his wife Emma took him in. They provided him with a job and a home on their ranch but most importantly a place in their family. Malloy's life largely revolves around the Jenkin'
Candice
Dec 08, 2013 Candice rated it really liked it
The beginning of this story was slow for me and it took a little bit to get interested in the characters. For me there was not an instant love with either of the main characters, but as the story progresses I began to enjoy them more and more. This is a very slow progressing romance and while Mallory may have never been with a man before, I wouldn't really consider it a gfy/ofy type book. It was more of a realization that gender didn't matter when it came to matters of the heart. The love that ...more
Heller
I really enjoyed this read.

Crispin starts working at the J-Bar and shakes everything and everyone up, the ranch foreman Malloy most of all.

There were a lot of things that I liked about this story: the MC's, the build of their relationship and that they connected on a lot of different levels and they understood each other's quirks. Definitely more than just sex here. Some great descriptions of ranch life as well and living in a pretty isolated area.

Gina
Jan 09, 2014 Gina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, cowboys
This was a winner of a story! And It was not what I had expected, like most people who have already read and reviewed this book. This story was deeper and more emotionally charged than I had assumed. Malloy and Crispin’s relationship was a slow burn and more emotionally satisfying than some of my previous cowboy reads. Crispin was talkative and funny, and Malloy was reserved and thoughtful. I enjoyed the way these two grew closer. I loved that their backgrounds were similar and that quiet loner ...more
Lisa
Jan 02, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Very enjoyable story. Both MC's were adorable.
Bitchie the Birthday Girl
I admit that it took me a couple of chapters to really get into this one, but once it grabbed me, it did not let me go. At first, Crispin really bugged me with all his hot and cold behavior, but I finally figured out that it was to protect himself, not him being fickle or toying with Malloy.

Malloy and Crispin both have so much tragedy in their lives. Malloy had a drug addicted mom, the kind of mom who would name her son (view spoiler) just because she thinks it's funn
Adam
I read My Cowboy Homecoming back in 2014 and liked it quite a bit. So I decided to backtrack and read about the owners of the J-Bar Ranch, Malloy and Crispin. It took me a while, but I finally got around to it!

I really liked the set-up. We've got a strong and silent type, Malloy, and the younger and more lively one, Crispin. They're opposites in many ways, but feel an immediate attraction to each other. It was easy to sit back and enjoy this sweet romance.

I was a bit annoyed with Crispin at firs
Shirley Frances
Malloy has been living on the J-Bar Ranch since he was taken in as a foster kid by the owner. He cares deeply for the ranch and for the family that took him in. Although he has hooked up with women here an there, he never had any desire to build something more with any one of them. So when he starts to look at the new ranch-hand, Crispin, with something more than affection he questions if he had denied himself his needs all this time.

Crispin is a free-spirit, sweet and honest to a fault. He's b
Silkeeeeee
3.5 RELUCTANT STARS
You know, this book had the tropes I normally enjoy. MM, in the closet, emotionally damaged MC, COWBOY. Unfortunately, it was a little long and drawn out.
The story is about a thirty-something year old cowboy, Speed Ball (Jeffe ) Malloy, man that was a foster child when he came to the Jenkin’s family and ranch, the J-Bar. He was constantly putting the pressure on himself to live his life with the same values that the head of the family, Crandall, taught him. He was surprised t
John The Cosmic Wanderer
Mar 12, 2014 John The Cosmic Wanderer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, m-m, good-vibes, gfy
Funny, sweet and a LOT of talking which I really really like. An overall awesome read! 5 STARS!!

Mini Rant:
I do not get it why the average rating of this book is 3.83 while Ella Frank's Try gets a 4.30. Seriously?! Sorry, just get pissed when I see that book on a ''Best List"

Elspeth
Oct 03, 2013 Elspeth rated it did not like it
This book just didn't sit well with me. It was just so overwhelming maudlin, like a Lifetime made for television movie where women hate women. This story had over the top negatives and no where near enough positives.

I also want to add that the editing for this was pretty bad. There were repeated dialog, and miss spelled words. It surprised me with this being from a large publishing group.
Shelby
Well that was truly beautiful. I just loved watching Malloy open up his heart and soul and finding out there was more life had to offer him out there. I’ve enjoyed a number of Ms. Maxfield’s books in the past and this was no exception.

Speed Malloy has been working the J-Bar ranch most of his life. He’s devoted to the ranch and it’s owner Crandall Jenkins after Crandall and his wife took him in as a foster and raised him as their own. He got the college degree they wanted but he quickly came hom
Sandra
A book about two gay cowboys? Sign me up!

When I read the blurb, I expected a GFY romance. It wasn't. It's a very carefully written Out For You book, with a ton of emotions and very likable characters all around.

Malloy (that's his last name, and his first isn't revealed for quite a while) is the steady, quiet and rather lonely foreman of J-Bar Ranch, where he's lived and worked since he was taking in by the owners at age 14. Now in his early thirties, he quietly and steadily loves the ranch, wor
Nika (Off to Neverland)
My rating: 2.5 stars

Well this book turned out to be a disappointment. I expected something much better. You know, one of those cowboy romances that are just amazing. Yeah, that's not what I got.

The Plot

Malloy is a almost anti-social foreman at the J-Bar ranch. He's been working there for years and he's good at his job. One day, his boss tells him that he's brining in a new ranch hand and that he wants Malloy to watch over him to make sure everything goes by smoothly. The new guy, Crispin, is an
JR
Dec 17, 2013 JR rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all lovers of cowboys and romance
Wow just wow, what a book! Every page in this was a pleasure to read. The dialogue is some of the best yet.

Into the J-Bar ranch comes one of the quirkiest characters ever to grace a page, Crispin Carrasco. Within in a few hours of his arrival, he has all who work and live at the J-Bar in a spin.

Crandall Jenkins owns the J-Bar ranch where he collects strays. The most notable is his foreman Malloy. Crandall took in Malloy when he was 15. He came from a background of abuse and neglect. Crandall
Heather
Jul 25, 2013 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt-romance
Once you can get past the premise that (surprise) all four ranch-hands are actually gay, My Cowboy Heart is an interesting story about two men - pessimist/optimist - trying to make a go of a relationship in a traditionally non-gay-friendly environment. Crispin is out, and comfortable with who he is. Jefe, however, has always identified as straight until he meets Crispin. With this, he must re-evaluate himself and reassess his future. There is good chemistry between the two, and some real-life d ...more
Taintedskyee (Books Books&More Books)
Nothing captivating happened. It is just a story.
Elizabetta
Aug 19, 2013 Elizabetta rated it really liked it

This is pure and simple, a sweet, romantic love story with at its heart, a theme of second chances. Crandall and Emma Jenkins are the big-hearted ranch owners who take in stray boys and men in need of help. They give them jobs on the ranch and teach them how to rebuild their lives. Nurturing with nature and compassion.

Malloy came to them as a young boy, troubled and hurting from neglect. He is now their foreman, almost a part of the family. At thirty-two years old, though, Malloy has m
CrabbyPatty
Reread in April 2016 and reviewed for Gay Book Reviews.

brazilian cowboy
Crispin Carrasco is the new hire at Crandall Jenkins' J-Bar ranch. He may be young (25) but he's cowboy all the way. I picture Malloy as a cross between a young Sam Elliot and Hugh Jackman in Australia - only 32 but already careworn with responsibility due to the overwhelming loyalty he feels for Crandall Jenkins, who pulled him from darkness into the light when he was a 14-year-old foster kid. Being there for the people he loves is everyth
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

I’ll get straight to the nitty gritty: I loved this book.

If you’re a fan of Lorelei James’s Blackstop Cowboys series, then I think you will adore this book as well. It reminds me of James’s style a lot with all the ranching/cowboy side of the book but it’s just a gay romance. And a very well done one at that.

Malloy hires a new ranchhand Crispin Carrasco and then something starts happening to him. He finds himself attracted to the younger guy when he doesn’t believe himself to be gay. T
Kristie
Jan 14, 2014 Kristie rated it really liked it
Okay. Stupid me. You know when you're reading a book and there are so many things you want to remember? That line, this one... that paragraph, this whole chapter? That happened to me a lot with this book. Stupid me, because I only highlighted one little thing. One. Still, I think this one part reminds me just how sweet Malloy is.

Malloy has a quiet strength about him. The discovery that he's gay is a huge revelation, but then it isn't. It was kind of weird. Through the first half of the book I'd
  • Love, Like Water
  • Chase the Storm
  • Pickup Men (Pickup Men, #1)
  • Crooked Tree Ranch (Montana, #1)
  • Cowboy Waltz
  • The Fall (The Fall #1)
  • Red Dirt Heart (Red Dirt, #1)
  • Outlast the Night (Lang Downs #3)
  • Unbreak My Heart (Unbreak My Heart, #1)
  • A Wild Ride (The Bullriders, #1)
  • Home of His Own (Home, #2)
  • A Little Bit Country
  • Cowboys Down
  • The Terms of Release (The Release #1)
  • Marathon Cowboys

The Cowboys (5 books)
  • My Heartache Cowboy (The Cowboys, #2)
  • My Cowboy Homecoming (The Cowboys, #3)
  • My Cowboy Promises (The Cowboys, #4)
  • My Cowboy Freedom (The Cowboys, #5)