Start by marking “Out of My Mind” as Want to Read:
Out of My Mind

Out of My Mind

Every Sunday evening, millions of viewers tune in to 60 Minutes to hear Andy Rooney riff on everything from coffee percolators to the state of the union. Millions more read his weekly newspaper column. Why? Because Rooney tells it like it is. But Rooney fans have never seen him quite like this. Andy Rooney is plain frustrated by what's going on in America and the world. Wh ...more
Published October 3rd 2006 by PublicAffairs (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Out of My Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of My Mind

Elise
Aug 29, 2015 Elise rated it really liked it
In spite of the fact that I could hear Rooney's voice in my head when I was reading this, it made for humorous bedside reading.
Chris Chase
Aug 25, 2014 Chris Chase rated it really liked it
This was a book that had its moments. It is a series of essays just like his commentary, some were interesting, some not so much. Worth reading.
Kate Hayden
Aug 18, 2014 Kate Hayden rated it liked it
My 70 year old father bought me this book for Christmas. It's interesting to hear the insight of an old man but his opinions are outdated. He thinks he is quite liberal and it is funny to hear his old man train of thought. I like Andy Rooney and enjoyed his 60 Minutes segments but this book should be edited and cut in half. It is repetitive and slow, although it's like a time capsule of old man thinking capturing his views about the world. It's like a pre-blog blog of old man's view of the moder ...more
Linda
Jan 30, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: my sister
Shelves: non-fiction, humor
My father watched 60 Minutes every Sunday night. While I may not have been so interested in the content of the stories, I always liked the end of the show when Andy Rooney started with his "Did you ever wonder?..."" section.

This book is a collection of those stories, everything from Daily Life, Food and Drink, Politics, Money, the English Language and Sports. I can almost hear my father's chuckle as I read them.

If you liked those stories you will like this book.

Nancy McKinley
May 13, 2014 Nancy McKinley rated it liked it
Andy is better at five minutes a pop but I still have a soft spot for the old guy.
Sharon Neufer
Nov 15, 2012 Sharon Neufer rated it it was amazing
I always enjoyed Andy's final segments on 60 Minutes and the book is made up of essays just like that. Even when I disagreed with Andy, I still appreciated the fact that he said what he thought and didn't care what "others may think." It's especially refreshing to read him complain about the same things I dislike!
Angel
Jul 23, 2007 Angel rated it liked it
I borrowed it from the public library. If you know Andy Rooney from his segments on 60 Minutes, then you know what you are getting with this book.

See my blog note about the book:

[http://itinerantlibrarian.blogspot.co...]
Vanessa
Feb 04, 2008 Vanessa rated it liked it
I love this old crotchity man and his thoughts. A compilation of essays divided into sections. Funny as all get out...in my opinion...but i have very similar views as him and watch him on 60 minutes... if you don't enjoy Mr. Rooney...Don't get this. :)
Catherine Sandy
Oct 03, 2011 Catherine Sandy rated it really liked it
I can't say that I read everyone of the essays in this book. I did read most of them and really enjoyed them. I believe Andy Rooney could write an interesting essay about any subject.
Cathy
Dec 02, 2013 Cathy added it
Shelves: yuck
I liked Andy Rooney, but I couldn't finish this book - I found many of his comments offensive and annoying and gave up before I hit the half way point.
Kelli
Sep 15, 2012 Kelli rated it it was amazing
I love this book! I can hear Andy reading to me as I read the book. He wrote like he spoke and I am saddened that he passed away.
Eric
Jul 11, 2008 Eric rated it liked it
Light reader. Mostly what you may have heard on 60 minutes. After half the book, I got tired of it and retired it.
Joe
Sep 20, 2008 Joe rated it really liked it
One probably needs to be an Andy Rooney fan to rate this book 4 stars. I consider Mr. Rooney a modern day Will Rogers.
Isw2w
Jan 02, 2012 Isw2w rated it really liked it
Had to return to the library. But I liked what I did read.
Susan
Oct 03, 2008 Susan rated it liked it
I might finish it some day. Just not now. Upward and onward!
Rose
Mar 31, 2012 Rose rated it liked it
Short stories. Just like his 60 Minutes pieces.
Wm B
Jun 29, 2011 Wm B rated it liked it
Enjoy Andy's to the point.
Toesnorth's mom
Dec 09, 2012 Toesnorth's mom added it
Shelves: mom-s
good!
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Michael Harter
Michael Harter marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Ones Yousfi
Ones Yousfi marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
June
June marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Sadie
Sadie marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
jackie voigt
jackie voigt marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Scott
Scott rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Taylor
Taylor rated it liked it
May 25, 2016
Jim
Jim added it
May 02, 2016
Marshall Hughes
Marshall Hughes marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Leshardin
Leshardin marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
  • Festivus: The Holiday for the Rest of Us
  • The Real Diana
  • Take It Back: A Battle Plan for Democratic Victory
  • Wacky Chicks: Life Lessons from Fearlessly Inappropriate and Fabulously Eccentric Women
  • Queenan Country: A Reluctant Anglophile's Pilgrimage to the Mother Country
  • The Pentagon: A History
  • Between the Covers: The Book Babes' Guide to a Woman's Reading Pleasures
  • Doing Nothing: A History of Loafers, Loungers, Slackers, and Bums in America
  • Father Knows Less Or: "Can I Cook My Sister?": One Dad's Quest to Answer His Son's Most Baffling Questions
  • Women Who Love Books Too Much: Bibliophiles, Bluestockings & Prolific Pens from the Algonquin Hotel to the YA-YA Sisterhood
  • God's Doodle: The Life and Times of the Penis
  • Mike's Election Guide
  • I Love You, Miss Huddleston, and Other Inappropriate Longings of My Indiana Childhood
  • Little Billy's Letters: An Incorrigible Inner Child's Correspondence with the Famous, Infamous, and Just Plain Bewildered
  • The Way We Were: Remembering Diana
  • What Was I Thinking?: 58 Bad Boyfriend Stories
  • Dave Barry Is Not Taking This Sitting Down
  • 101 Things to Do Before You Die
Andrew Aitken "Andy" Rooney was an American radio and television writer. He became most famous as a humorist and commentator with his weekly broadcast A Few Minutes With Andy Rooney, a part of the CBS news program 60 Minutes from 1978 to 2011.
More about Andy Rooney...