Start by marking “Out of My Mind” as Want to Read:
Out of My Mind

Out of My Mind

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Every Sunday evening, millions of viewers tune in to 60 Minutes to hear Andy Rooney riff on everything from coffee percolators to the state of the union. Millions more read his weekly newspaper column. Why? Because Rooney tells it like it is. But Rooney fans have never seen him quite like this. Andy Rooney is plain frustrated by what's going on in America and the world. Wh ...more
Published October 3rd 2006 by PublicAffairs (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Out of My Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of My Mind

Chris Chase
This was a book that had its moments. It is a series of essays just like his commentary, some were interesting, some not so much. Worth reading.
Kate Hayden
My 70 year old father bought me this book for Christmas. It's interesting to hear the insight of an old man but his opinions are outdated. He thinks he is quite liberal and it is funny to hear his old man train of thought. I like Andy Rooney and enjoyed his 60 Minutes segments but this book should be edited and cut in half. It is repetitive and slow, although it's like a time capsule of old man thinking capturing his views about the world. It's like a pre-blog blog of old man's view of the moder ...more
Linda
Jan 30, 2012 Linda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: my sister
Shelves: humor, non-fiction
My father watched 60 Minutes every Sunday night. While I may not have been so interested in the content of the stories, I always liked the end of the show when Andy Rooney started with his "Did you ever wonder?..."" section.

This book is a collection of those stories, everything from Daily Life, Food and Drink, Politics, Money, the English Language and Sports. I can almost hear my father's chuckle as I read them.

If you liked those stories you will like this book.

Nancy McKinley
Andy is better at five minutes a pop but I still have a soft spot for the old guy.
Sharon Neufer
I always enjoyed Andy's final segments on 60 Minutes and the book is made up of essays just like that. Even when I disagreed with Andy, I still appreciated the fact that he said what he thought and didn't care what "others may think." It's especially refreshing to read him complain about the same things I dislike!
Angel
I borrowed it from the public library. If you know Andy Rooney from his segments on 60 Minutes, then you know what you are getting with this book.

See my blog note about the book:

[http://itinerantlibrarian.blogspot.co...]
Vanessa
I love this old crotchity man and his thoughts. A compilation of essays divided into sections. Funny as all get out...in my opinion...but i have very similar views as him and watch him on 60 minutes... if you don't enjoy Mr. Rooney...Don't get this. :)
Catherine Sandy
I can't say that I read everyone of the essays in this book. I did read most of them and really enjoyed them. I believe Andy Rooney could write an interesting essay about any subject.
Cathy
Dec 02, 2013 Cathy added it
Shelves: yuck
I liked Andy Rooney, but I couldn't finish this book - I found many of his comments offensive and annoying and gave up before I hit the half way point.
Kelli
I love this book! I can hear Andy reading to me as I read the book. He wrote like he spoke and I am saddened that he passed away.
Eric
Light reader. Mostly what you may have heard on 60 minutes. After half the book, I got tired of it and retired it.
Joe
One probably needs to be an Andy Rooney fan to rate this book 4 stars. I consider Mr. Rooney a modern day Will Rogers.
Isw2w
Had to return to the library. But I liked what I did read.
Susan
I might finish it some day. Just not now. Upward and onward!
Rose
Short stories. Just like his 60 Minutes pieces.
Wm B
Enjoy Andy's to the point.
Toesnorth's mom
Dec 09, 2012 Toesnorth's mom added it
Shelves: mom-s
good!
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Renee Sutton
Renee Sutton marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Robert
Robert added it
Apr 24, 2015
Pat
Pat added it
Apr 01, 2015
Kim
Kim is currently reading it
Mar 03, 2015
Ochirkhuu
Ochirkhuu marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Take It Back: A Battle Plan for Democratic Victory
  • Queenan Country: A Reluctant Anglophile's Pilgrimage to the Mother Country
  • The Pentagon: A History
  • Wacky Chicks: Life Lessons from Fearlessly Inappropriate and Fabulously Eccentric Women
  • Between the Covers: The Book Babes' Guide to a Woman's Reading Pleasures
  • Father Knows Less Or: "Can I Cook My Sister?": One Dad's Quest to Answer His Son's Most Baffling Questions
  • Women Who Love Books Too Much: Bibliophiles, Bluestockings & Prolific Pens from the Algonquin Hotel to the YA-YA Sisterhood
  • Doing Nothing: A History of Loafers, Loungers, Slackers, and Bums in America
  • Dave Barry Is Not Taking This Sitting Down
  • Little Billy's Letters: An Incorrigible Inner Child's Correspondence with the Famous, Infamous, and Just Plain Bewildered
  • The Way We Were: Remembering Diana
  • Mike's Election Guide
  • God's Doodle: The Life and Times of the Penis
  • 101 Things to Do Before You Die
  • What Was I Thinking?: 58 Bad Boyfriend Stories
  • Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself
  • I Love You, Miss Huddleston, and Other Inappropriate Longings of My Indiana Childhood
  • Diana in Search of Herself: Portrait of a Troubled Princess
Andrew Aitken "Andy" Rooney was an American radio and television writer. He became most famous as a humorist and commentator with his weekly broadcast A Few Minutes With Andy Rooney, a part of the CBS news program 60 Minutes from 1978 to 2011.
More about Andy Rooney...
My War Common Nonsense Few Minutes with Andy Rooney Andy Rooney: 60 Years of Wisdom and Wit Pieces of my Mind