Start by marking “William Shakespeare’s: Hamlet (Shakespeare Retellings, #5)” as Want to Read:
William Shakespeare’s: Hamlet (Shakespeare Retellings, #5)

William Shakespeare’s: Hamlet (Shakespeare Retellings, #5)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  15 reviews
There is arguably no work of fiction quoted as often as William Shakespeare's Hamlet. This haunting tragedy has touched audiences for centuries. Now Bruce Coville makes this play the next of his dynamic adaptations of the Bard for the young. Once again, he expertly incorporates essential lines from the play into his own rich prose to tell the tale of the ill-fated Prince o...more
Published March 30th 2004 by Dial

To ask other readers questions about William Shakespeare’s, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about William Shakespeare’s

Lisa
Another good adaptation from Mr. Coville, though the illustrations are not as good as the others we have read. The good thing about picture book adaptations is that the pictures help further the child's understanding of what is written. The pictures in this one are beautiful but too murky to add to the child's understanding. However, Mr. Coville does preserve some of the original lines of Shakespeare. It gives me such a chill of delight to read these words to my children.
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
I purchased some of the Shakespeare books adapted by Bruce Coville, mainly because he has written some books for children that I enjoy.

I like the idea of bringing Shakespeare to a level that children can understand these classic stories. There are illustrations to help with visualization and he even uses some direct quotes from the plays.

As Mr. Coville states in the introduction, William Shakespeare was a great entertainer and it is nice to have our children learn of his greatness.
Lisa
Absolutely possible for younger children to grasp the tragic, mysterious, forceful story of Hamlet via a picture book. Coville does the amazing job of mixing enough Shakespearian language to stay true to the story and enough modern readable language for a younger person to make sense of the story. The illustrations aren't shabby either. Apparently, there are other Shakespeare re-tellings in this series and I aim to find them.
Eireanne
A note from the author, "It is ironic that in our justifiable admiration for Shakespeare's genius we have done him a disservice by making his writing seem inaccessible, or something to be worked at rather than enjoyed."

This is how I've always felt about Shakespeare, so I really appreciate this version, and I'm glad I came across it.
Jessie
I abhor most of the retellings of classic literature aimed at children -- the Junior Classics being a common example. Bruce Covilles approach in this book is a bit different. He tells the story briefly but he incorporates some of the language of the play in a way that is understandable but doesn't lose the beauty of the words.
SmarterLilac
At first I was skeptical that a play as dense and mature as Hamlet could be retold for younger readers. I was delighted to find that Coville pulled it off with impressive style, and that even I got something out of his take on Shakespeare's masterwork. If I ever have kids, I will read this to them early on!
Elizabeth
I really like this concept of writing a classic in a clear way for children so that they are familiar with the story prior to reading the real book. I enjoyed this version because it reacquainted me with the plot and some of the most famous lines from Hamlet. Cool!
Jenny
Awesome book!! I'm beginning to love Shakespeare now! Even though I learn that they plays were based on old stories, I still have to say- the guy's a genius!! Written in simple language everyone can understand.
Cheryl
A retelling of the bard's tale, emphasizing the storytelling... intrigue, character, tragedy of the tale rather than the rich language. The acrylic and pastel paintings are lush. Better for older readers.
Juliette
A well done, lovely, approachable Hamlet. The illustrations are gorgeous, the story is fascinating and is an excellent companion to the original script.
Holly Jorgenson
L-O-V-E, love, love, love the illustrations in this one. They are a completely different style, but they work for this particular story.
Laurie
A tiny bit of Mom-editing during the most violent scenes for 6 and 3 yr olds.
Sue Poduska
Great companion to the play for beginning Shakespeare-philes.
Ss Ho
Feb 26, 2011 Ss Ho rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who love Shakespearian tragedy
hard to understand but i liked it a lot, the summary, i mean.
Aim
Nice cultural literacy version for 5th grade level readers.
Glorybeafarm
Glorybeafarm marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
S.A.  Turnbull
S.A. Turnbull marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Beth
Beth added it
Apr 18, 2014
Huzaifah Sulaiman
Huzaifah Sulaiman marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Shir
Shir marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
Kari
Kari added it
Aug 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Into the Land of the Unicorns (Unicorn Chronicles, #1) Song of the Wanderer (Unicorn Chronicles, #2) Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher (Magic Shop, #2) My Teacher is an Alien (My Teacher is an Alien, #1) William Shakespeare's: A Midsummer Night's Dream (Shakespeare Retellings, #2)