Start by marking “William Shakespeare’s: Hamlet (Shakespeare Retellings, #5)” as Want to Read:
William Shakespeare’s: Hamlet (Shakespeare Retellings, #5)

William Shakespeare’s: Hamlet (Shakespeare Retellings, #5)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  55 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
There is arguably no work of fiction quoted as often as William Shakespeare's Hamlet. This haunting tragedy has touched audiences for centuries. Now Bruce Coville makes this play the next of his dynamic adaptations of the Bard for the young. Once again, he expertly incorporates essential lines from the play into his own rich prose to tell the tale of the ill-fated Prince o ...more
Published March 30th 2004 by Dial

To ask other readers questions about William Shakespeare’s, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about William Shakespeare’s

Victoria
Mar 16, 2015 Victoria rated it liked it
Coville does a great job in retelling Shakespeare's Hamlet. He condenses a complex play into something more palatable for even older audiences, and he is adept at using direct quotes from the play itself to not only help the story along, but also introduce the reader to the difficult writing style of Shakespeare. I thought the ethereal illustrations were a good artistic choice for the story, and I liked the artist's use of color and shading to express emotions in each scene. Since I'm not too fa ...more
Naomi
Apr 05, 2015 Naomi rated it really liked it
While I loved the concept of this book, I couldn't help but try to determine its appropriate audience while I was reading it. The book, unlike Garfield's, does not coms complete with the true Shakespearian language that only I would say late middle schoolers would be able to comprehend, but the wording is still a bit tough for the average grade school reader to comprehend. I found the illustrations to be excellent. On that note, I love any book that allows this age group to be introduced to the ...more
Marius S
Apr 23, 2016 Marius S rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Although I am not quite sure that my younger brother understood it all, I at least enjoyed reading it to him.

I really enjoyed the illustrations, they really pull you into the story.

A lot of familiar sayings that I quote once in a while are in here, and I was surprised at the context for a lot of them! ('Sweets to the sweet'...)

I've never read any version at all of 'Hamlet' before this, but after this, I'll definitely try to read more of William Shakespeare's works.
Lisa
Aug 01, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it
Another good adaptation from Mr. Coville, though the illustrations are not as good as the others we have read. The good thing about picture book adaptations is that the pictures help further the child's understanding of what is written. The pictures in this one are beautiful but too murky to add to the child's understanding. However, Mr. Coville does preserve some of the original lines of Shakespeare. It gives me such a chill of delight to read these words to my children.
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Jan 16, 2010 Lisa (Bookworm Lisa) rated it really liked it
I purchased some of the Shakespeare books adapted by Bruce Coville, mainly because he has written some books for children that I enjoy.

I like the idea of bringing Shakespeare to a level that children can understand these classic stories. There are illustrations to help with visualization and he even uses some direct quotes from the plays.

As Mr. Coville states in the introduction, William Shakespeare was a great entertainer and it is nice to have our children learn of his greatness.
Lisa
Absolutely possible for younger children to grasp the tragic, mysterious, forceful story of Hamlet via a picture book. Coville does the amazing job of mixing enough Shakespearian language to stay true to the story and enough modern readable language for a younger person to make sense of the story. The illustrations aren't shabby either. Apparently, there are other Shakespeare re-tellings in this series and I aim to find them.
Eireanne
Nov 16, 2013 Eireanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: shakespeare
A note from the author, "It is ironic that in our justifiable admiration for Shakespeare's genius we have done him a disservice by making his writing seem inaccessible, or something to be worked at rather than enjoyed."

This is how I've always felt about Shakespeare, so I really appreciate this version, and I'm glad I came across it.
Jessie
Jul 14, 2011 Jessie rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile
I abhor most of the retellings of classic literature aimed at children -- the Junior Classics being a common example. Bruce Covilles approach in this book is a bit different. He tells the story briefly but he incorporates some of the language of the play in a way that is understandable but doesn't lose the beauty of the words.
SmarterLilac
Feb 03, 2010 SmarterLilac rated it it was amazing
At first I was skeptical that a play as dense and mature as Hamlet could be retold for younger readers. I was delighted to find that Coville pulled it off with impressive style, and that even I got something out of his take on Shakespeare's masterwork. If I ever have kids, I will read this to them early on!
Elizabeth
Apr 23, 2009 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
I really like this concept of writing a classic in a clear way for children so that they are familiar with the story prior to reading the real book. I enjoyed this version because it reacquainted me with the plot and some of the most famous lines from Hamlet. Cool!
Jenny
Jul 19, 2010 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Awesome book!! I'm beginning to love Shakespeare now! Even though I learn that they plays were based on old stories, I still have to say- the guy's a genius!! Written in simple language everyone can understand.
Cheryl
A retelling of the bard's tale, emphasizing the storytelling... intrigue, character, tragedy of the tale rather than the rich language. The acrylic and pastel paintings are lush. Better for older readers.
Juliette
Sep 18, 2013 Juliette rated it really liked it
A well done, lovely, approachable Hamlet. The illustrations are gorgeous, the story is fascinating and is an excellent companion to the original script.
Holly Jorgenson
Jun 09, 2010 Holly Jorgenson rated it it was amazing
L-O-V-E, love, love, love the illustrations in this one. They are a completely different style, but they work for this particular story.
Laurie
Oct 20, 2010 Laurie rated it it was amazing
A tiny bit of Mom-editing during the most violent scenes for 6 and 3 yr olds.
Sue Poduska
Jul 20, 2011 Sue Poduska rated it really liked it
Great companion to the play for beginning Shakespeare-philes.
Ss Ho
Feb 26, 2011 Ss Ho rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who love Shakespearian tragedy
hard to understand but i liked it a lot, the summary, i mean.
Aim
Feb 25, 2010 Aim rated it really liked it
Nice cultural literacy version for 5th grade level readers.
sedat  nezerli
sedat nezerli marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Svetlana Kovalkova-McKenna
Svetlana Kovalkova-McKenna rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2016
Isabella
Isabella rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2016
Andrea Maverick
Andrea Maverick marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Cobagibu
Cobagibu marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Lindy
Lindy rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2016