Start by marking “When Life Gives You Lemons... At Least You Won't Get Scurvy!” as Want to Read:
When Life Gives You Lemons... At Least You Won't Get Scurvy!

Read Book

When Life Gives You Lemons... At Least You Won't Get Scurvy!

A very funny collection of anecdotal essays on dealing with common adult life struggles that fall just short of FEMA intervention but are bigger than a duct tape and coat hanger fix. This stuff wasn’t supposed to happen to Madge, she’s college educated and comes from a good white collar Irish Catholic family. But she made it through an abusive marriage, co-parenting with h ...more
Published May 3rd 2013 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published May 1st 2013)

Be the first to ask a question about When Life Gives You Lemons... At Least You Won't Get Scurvy!

Cyndy Aleo
Sep 13, 2013 Cyndy Aleo rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir, humor
It's taken me ages to getting around to writing this review, mainly because I didn't know how to frame it. I'm going with Facebook status "It's complicated" for this review.

I first "met" Madge Madigan on Twitter, after hearing some local buzz about When Life Gives You Lemons... At Least You Won't Get Scurvy and naturally, I wanted to read anything by a local writer.

It took a little bit, but then she retweeted her daughter and I realized she had to be the ex-wife of a cousin I haven't seen in yea
May 27, 2013 Maureen rated it it was amazing
What a great writing voice! I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Hilarious at times, incredibly insightful at others... sometimes both at the same time! Madge tells stories of awful things that happened but she is never a victim, she's just eager to share what she learned and to let others know they aren't alone. Lessons include such gems as "How to Keep Your Daughter Off the Pole" and "I Love Your New Prada Bag but I'm Sorry to Hear Your Losing Your House". Just a really really funny book with lots ...more
Jun 09, 2013 Alyssia rated it liked it
Thanks to Making Connections and the author for a chance to read and review this book.

This book isn't what I was expecting. When I read it, I thought it would be comedy, and it isn't, quite.

The author is clearly writing with the intention of humor, but she has a purpose that trumps that goal and is very up front about it. This isn't humor for the sake of humor - it's humor with a point.

Madge Madigan writes about her life and the humor she finds in dark situations and hardship. This is a "humor
Madge Madigan
May 10, 2013 Madge Madigan rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
By Wendy Corsi Staub

Sassy, opinionated, and hilarious, Madge Madigan won me over as a blogger by always managing to say (well, write) what I probably would have been thinking in any given situation she describes. Now she turns her razor-sharp wit to book-length nonfiction and blazes a fresh path through familiar domestic territory like single motherhood, dating, finances, unemployment--and well beyond.

Some essays are built on helpf
Jul 07, 2013 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from the author through Goodreads First Reads.

I LOVED this book. I think Madge is my long-lost sister, because I have been through many of the same things and feel the same way about so much (in particular, men). She is honest and real, without being overly offensive (she actually uses the F-bomb way less than I do). I actually think she is funnier than Chelsea Handler, whose books I could not get into, no matter how hard I tried. I look forward to reading more fro
C.J. Corbin
Jun 10, 2013 C.J. Corbin rated it it was amazing
At first I was going to call Madge Madigan the new Erma Bombeck. But, this ain't 1979. Then I was going to equate Madge to the Madge in the dishing washing liquid commercial, where the customer is soaking her nails in dishing washing liquid. But, this ain't 1979. Let's face it, Madge had me with granny adjusting her pantyhose in the ladies room. She tells it like it is. Funny, poignant, sharp, feisty, opinionated... and did I mention funny? Life lesson stories about survival and remaining true t ...more
Dec 25, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
I received this book for free from the author in return for an honest review.

When LIfe Gives You Lemons....At Least You Won't Get Scurvy is the story of Madge Madigan as she goes from married to divorced and back into the dating scene. This is written strictly from her point of view. As the book progresses, so does Madge and her style of writing. The book includes not just her point of view on various matters that she experienced but also her advice on these matters. She is very candid and hones
Mar 20, 2014 Lauren rated it really liked it
it took me a while to finish this book, as I wanted to keep Madge's voice in my head as long as possible. Inspirational, pragmatic and funny are all great descriptive for this book.

This is a fun book written by a fighter and survivor. instead of wallowing in self-pity, she's made the best of what she's got. Her kids have a great role model.

Despite her fears, I believe she'll be able to avoid fetish films, as her tenacity will continue to push her forward as a writer and social commentator. I l
Chanda Barrick
Jun 18, 2013 Chanda Barrick rated it liked it
This book literally made me LOL at times. I enjoyed the author's straight forward, tell-it-like-it-is attitude and sense of humor. The book felt more like a conversation with someone which made it quite easy to get through.

The book was full of anecdotes which were quite amusing. Some were not quite as relatable for me not having kids, but were still humorous. It was also quite apparent the author was not at all happy with the ex husband who left her and the children high and dry.

Overall a quick
Deborah Blanchard
Aug 27, 2013 Deborah Blanchard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-review
This book is funny, touching and oh so true. Life and all its ups in downs written wonderfully. Its like she is talking to you, I mean it. Everything Madge says really hit home for me, all the struggles we go through as Moms, and all the humor you can find in it. Sometimes you just have to laugh at life's flaws and our own. Funny, witty , a good quick read. If you want to smile or even laugh, pick up this book. You will love it.
Jun 21, 2013 Anna rated it it was amazing
Very good book that had me laughing at many of life’s little absurdities’. Madge tackles life’s ups and downs with a sense of humor, an irreverent attitude and common sense. I loved this book and would recommend it to anyone needing a good laugh and feeling of “hey if she can get through it all so can I”. Will definitely keep an eye out for any future books b y this author.
Debbie Krenzer
Jun 23, 2013 Debbie Krenzer rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
Received this book free

This book reminded me of my girlfriends and I sitting around and drinking wine while ranting and raving about our husbands, our kids and our lives.

While parts of it were pretty funny, there were times when I just felt the author was a little redundant.

All in all, it was funny and I read it pretty quickly.
River Guru
Sep 23, 2013 River Guru rated it liked it
Madge has a great sense of humor, with a tinch of naughty thrown in. Short stories made this a quick, easy, light read. That being said it was just that-light...not a lot of depth to it. Not that we always need that. A great book to bring on the airplane, or beach and leave behind for someone else to read.
Jamie Lange
Jul 05, 2013 Jamie Lange rated it really liked it
An honest and funny look at life as we know it.
Miller Canning
Miller Canning rated it it was ok
Oct 19, 2016
John Olore
John Olore rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Amanda North
Amanda North rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2016
Sandy marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Devon Lucas
Devon Lucas rated it did not like it
May 11, 2016
nicola rated it did not like it
Apr 17, 2016
Tanya marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Debbie Swanson
Debbie Swanson marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Cindy  Lambertz
Cindy Lambertz marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Jimzzz marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Ebenezer Quame
Ebenezer Quame marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2015
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2015
Ashley marked it as to-read
Ally Mccudden
Ally Mccudden marked it as to-read
Stu Schreiber
Stu Schreiber marked it as to-read
  • Out Where The Buses Don't Run
  • Merry F#%$in' Christmas
  • Leather to the Corinthians
  • Twisted Tales for Twisted Minds
  • Good in a Crisis: A Memoir of Divorce, Dating, and Other Near-Death Experiences
  • Sipping from the Nile: My Exodus from Egypt
  • Delusions of Grandeur
  • The Secret Book for Getting Girls
  • Faces from Dante's Inferno: Who they are, what they say, and what it all means
  • The Four Passages of the Heart
  • There Must Be More To Life Than This!
  • Latchkeys: Splinters
  • How To Be A Goddess
  • The Natural Stress Solution
  • The Girl With the Monkee Tattoo
  • The Geek Manifesto
  • One Breath, Then Another: A Memoir
  • Heart of Darkness
Madge Madigan is a fabulous and somewhat irritable single mother of three teenage children who resides in Rochester, NY. When not busy cultivating a master race of well-adjusted successful children, she is an well-known blogger, freelance writer, speaker, and the village sarcastic broad.

Madge's books tell of her tales of raising children on her own and fending off poverty while trying to maintain
More about Madge Madigan...

“This is why we can't have nice things...” 2 likes