Local Flavors: Cooking and Eating from America's Farmers' Markets

Local Flavors: Cooking and Eating from America's Farmers' Markets

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  1,274 ratings  ·  73 reviews
First published in hardcover in 2002, Local Flavors was a book ahead of its time. Now, imported food scares and a countrywide infatuation with fresh, local, organic produce has caught up with this groundbreaking cookbook, available for the first time in paperback.

Deborah Madison celebrates the glories of the farmers’ markets of America in a richly illustrated collection of...more
Published May 13th 2008 by Ten Speed Press (first published June 11th 2002)

Rebecca
Wow, truth in advertising, people. A seasonal market cookbook that's actually functional! I wandered into my kitchen this afternoon with the vague idea of cooking that last bunch of beets. I flipped open this book for inspiration. This method is pretty much guaranteed to end with me bookmarking a bunch of recipes that I really earnestly mean to make next time if I can ever wrangle all the ingredients into the same time and place. While I eat roasted beets for the 12948674th time. But suddenly it...more
Bethany
Beautiful pictures.

About 5 recipes that I am very interested in.

Mostly I was moderately annoyed. I was expecting a book that would give me recipes that had local seasonal ingredients. In stead, I received recipes that had one or two seasonal/local ingredients along with other ingredients that were out of season or not local.

I am sure that others would love the book. It is just not what I was looking for.

Ordered from B & N
Tracy
This book is outstanding. I made the swiss chard gratin (using half chard and half spinach), and went out and planted some chard so I'd have chard to make this with in the fall and winter! Every time I come home from the farmer's market, I turn to this book to see what to do with my CSA produce. Deborah Madison is the greatest.
Maureen
Deborah Madison is probably my favorite cookbook writer. In this book she provides some great vignettes on farmer's markets and little snippets about not-so-common varieties of vegetables. There are recipes with meat in this one for those so inclined. This will be a great one to take with me to the farmer's market and meal plan around. A good companion to Animal, Vegetable, Miracle- if you liked that one.
Erika
This actually would be handy to have around during market season. In Ohio that doesn't last all year so this book actually irritated me since I couldn't get my hands on most ingredients to make any of these drooly-looking recipes. I did however make an herbal tea and I have an herbal sugar sitting in wait, so thank you Deborah Madison. I'll have to check you out again soon.
Maze Branch
We really enjoyed our tasting and discussion of Local Flavors! With the exception of one attendee who is not a fan of vegetables, we really liked most of the recipes that we tried. These included Cucumber Salad with Chile and Roasted Peanuts, Big Tomato Sandwich, Greens with Red Beans, Cilantro and Feta, White Pizza with Sage, Goat's Milk Panna Cotta and Rustic Almond Truffles with Fruit Center.

We found the recipes to be written clearly for the home cook, and the accompanying text provided enga...more
Crystal
I have mixed feelings about this cookbook. It really is a charming book, full of homey shots of farmer's market merchandise and smiling family farmers and their families and customers. And the recipes--most of them sound delightful! some of them are a bit plain for my taste, but probably taste amazing too. The anecdotes and information gathered at the various farm markets around the country was interesting and sometimes informative as well. I love reading about the diversity of food around the c...more
Dianne
I like this book fine, but I have deducted a star for two reasons:

1. It has one major shortcoming - the index is scanty. There have been many times I have gone to the index looking for a recipe that I knew was in the book, and simply could not find it after looking under a number of different keywords.

2. I am not a fan of cookbooks that are too specific. You will never find a recipe called "500 Shrimp Recipes" on my shelves - unless your daddy is a shrimper in the bayou, you can't afford the she...more
Jun 10, 2008 Jennifer rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those looking for recipes for farmer's market produce
Recommended to Jennifer by: Book: In Defense of Food
This book has some good recipes in it, but it is nearly just as much a showcase of different farmer's markets around the country - which is less useful (but interesting nonetheless) to those of us stuck in one location. Also, the author is from the southwest. Here in Midwest farm country we don't see many avocados or mangoes at the local farmer's markets. So keep those caveats in mind when looking this one over for recipes - especially if you are trying to cook like a local-vore. I still liked t...more
Mjlibrary NDSCS
641.5973 M265
In an attempt to eat more healthy food, many consumers are looking at ways to eat locally and seasonally. Food from local markets of locally grown food fills this bill, and it also adds more variety to the diet than one would expect. Instead of food needing to be able to be shipped across country to many markets, local markets sell unusual items that can’t handle long distance travel. The recipes here are from all over the country but the discussions for each might help make you mor...more
Heather
My husband bought this recently after a trip to a culinary bookstore. We joined a veggie CSA this summer and have been both amused and frustrated by the variety of veggies we receive, but have either no idea what they are, how to prepare them, or what they might go well with.

The author gives a seasonal view of what to expect throughout the year at local farmer's markets, gives an in-depth look at about a dozen throughout the states (although heavily slanted to the West Coast, particularly Califo...more
Morgan
This book is actually a 3.5. It's beautiful. It has a wonderful concept; eat fresh, local food, in season and see all this wonderful world has to offer.

The problem? Well, maybe just my farmer's market. I don't know about you, but there are no morels here. Hardly ever any squash blossoms. And as for rose geranium leaves? Haven't even heard of them. I think her markets (or garden) are just a bit more varied then mine. So a lot of the receipes seem a bit far reaching. The ones with readily avaliabl...more
Toni NB
I love this cookbook - for reading as well as for the recipes. I get so inspired each time I go through it. Indispensable during the summer months when I need a little bit of inspiration with the small mountain of produce that I bring home from the farmers' market. Sometimes you just want to try something new with that bag of Swiss chard (try the Chard and cilantro soup with noodle nests) or a quick cucumber and onion pickle recipe. There's even a chapter on eggs and cheese (must try the fried e...more
Jenny
This book was fine...great for someone if they are looking for a bunch of different recipes involving vegetables and a lot of information about how great farmers markets are. I was looking for more information about the health benefits of local, organic produce, as well as knowing what is in season when. She was very adamant about how even though a certain vegetable or fruit typically grows in "spring", "spring weather in Arizona is January, while is is June in New England. I wanted more specifi...more
Susie
Might need to buy this one to have on hand for Csa season.
Dioscita
Feb 08, 2008 Dioscita rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Locavores, Foodies
Shelves: cooking-food
Adding to my one-note-ness lately (Pollan, Kingsolver, Smith and MacKinnon) with this from Madison ... plus I love her Greens cookbook ... I'm already afraid I have to add this to the "buy it ... now!" list and am looking for a used copy (though Madison is re-releasing this book in May, 2008 for far less than the current edition costs (the new one may only be in paperback, though). Will then consider it "read" enough to move from the "currently reading" list (because how much does one truly "rea...more
Janel
I like this book a lot. The recipes are great, some are on the challenging side and contain expensive or hard-to-find ingredients. This book contains advice and recipes for pretty much everything that you might buy to eat from a farmer's market. I think this book is worth owning for the recipes, but I do not like the way it is organized with anecdotes and other tidbits, it makes it somewhat difficult to use as a casual reference. This is definitely the type of cookbook intended to be read cover...more
Adrianne Mathiowetz
So far I've made the eggplant gratin from this book. Now granted, I began with the ultimate test, because I hate eggplant. But this book claimed that farmers' market eggplant is soooo much better than supermarket eggplant, and I wanted to give that a try.

The census? It was absolutely delicious, except for the eggplant.

Update: well, the farmers markets are all closed: but I'm looking forward to joining a CSA next April, and picking this back up.
Elizabeth
I'm delighted by this cookbook. It's a good read, and the recipes seem quite doable. Most importantly, for my purposes at least, she does focus on seasonality, so while there are exceptions, for the most part recipes feature ingredients that are in season together. Hooray!

Updated to add: while I genuinely enjoyed this cookbook, I kept it for two years and made maybe 2 recipes from it. It's lovely but not all that useful.
Sarah Weichhand
Yay!!! Cookbooks!!! I love Local Flavors!! It is a fresh food lover's dream come true! It has great recipes, but most of all, it reminds me of cooking healthy, great tasting whole food recipes for the people that I love!

Check it! Check it! It also reminds me of my times with DBC Natural Holistic Health Center and my friends and fellow whole food eaters!

Fav. recipe in here is the a tomato and avocado salad. Yum!
Stephanie
I enjoyed this book from a visual point of view; it was very pretty, the photos were outstanding.

The recipes looked good; some were too complex for me, but that's my failing, not the book's.

Unfortunately for this Canadian reader, this book is US-based, and so things that are "local" and "in season" for the author and the various markets she visits are not at all local or in season for me. And that's too bad for me.
Cherie
Dec 15, 2007 Cherie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: locavores; fans of "animal, vegetable miracle" or "plenty"
A A terrific book, full of recipes and information about cooking locally; lots of information about farmers, farming, farmers' markets; absolutely fascinating. A must for any locavore! I am so excited b/c there are TONS of recipes; I should just buy this book b/c the amt of recipes in here I want to cook is out of control. Not strictly vegetarian, but most of the recipes are. Yum yum, and oh, YUM!
Ashley
Apr 05, 2007 Ashley rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves fresh produce
Deborah Madison is my hero. Her magnum opus Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone introduced me to easy great food. It's a primer for all things green, grain, bean, etc. This book Local Flavors is a delight. It will inspire you to get you out to the farmer's markets and get connected with your food community. She's also dead on with flavors in the recipes, I haven't been disappointed in one yet.
Aug 21, 2008 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love good food
Shelves: cooking, local-foods
I first looked through this cookbook as a library loan, and then a friend gave me my own copy. So far, pretty much every recipe has been a success! I also enjoy reading about the different farmers' markets across the country, and it's a useful companion to my own farmers' market -- I get all sorts of new ideas (or at least ideas of how to cook new produce)!
Eric Semsak
Beautiful book! Pictures are amazing as are the recipes, as usual. Tho most of Deborah's recipes aren't your quick 30-min or less recipes, they do give you a great ideas on how to use many different veggies. I also love the layout of the book. This should be a textbook not only in culinary schools but also in public/private cooking centric classes. A must have!
Karen
Just got this book in the mail and I love it already! It's full of pictures of beautiful vegetable dishes and I can't wait until my CSA starts so I can get to cooking. I'm hoping this will inspire me to cook all of the inevitable collard greens I will be getting come June. I hope Ben and Ted are ready to eat lots and lots of vegetables this summer.
Regina
LOVE DEB! Fabulous seasonal recipes and gorgeous photographs. Love Deborah's philosophies about food and farmers. Plus, everything I've tried from this book has been DELICIOUS. Just last night I made her sage, lemon pasta dish and it was killah. Also: her b-nut squash braised in apple cider is out-of-this-world good! Highlight of our Thanksgiving!
Molly
Nov 27, 2007 Molly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vegetarians, Local Food Enthusiasts, People who like to eat!
Shelves: cookbooks
I don't currently own a Deborah Madison cookbook, which, given that I'm working on my 14th year of Vegetarianism, is probably a bad thing. However, I checked this out from my library and now that I have to return it I am going to buy a copy. This is a fun way to approach seasonal cooking and the illustrations are wonderful. I can't recommend this enough!
Linda
Aug 18, 2007 Linda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cooks
Deborah Madison is the only cookbook author that I read. Not just consult, but actually read. I often revisit this before a trip to the market, as inspiration for items to be on the lookout for. It is helpfully arranged by season, and has some of my favorite recipes, such as: zuchinni soup, carrot-top soup, apple galette,and platter salad.
Kim
Although all the recipes are very vegetable centered, many of them contain animal products. There are a few recipes I've returned to in the book, but most of them involve too many expensive ingredients for me to be inspired to make. The photos are lovely. I think this would be a great book to turn to for entertaining a special event.
  • Hot Sour Salty Sweet: A Culinary Journey Through Southeast Asia
  • Chez Panisse Fruit
  • Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers: Fresh Ideas for the Weeknight Table
  • A Platter of Figs and Other Recipes
  • A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen: Easy Seasonal Dishes for Family and Friends
  • The Splendid Table's How to Eat Supper
  • My Bread: The Revolutionary No-Work, No-Knead Method
  • The Zuni Cafe Cookbook: A Compendium of Recipes and Cooking Lessons from San Francisco's Beloved Restaurant
  • Simply in Season
  • Full Moon Feast: Food and the Hunger for Connection
  • The River Cottage Family Cookbook
  • Home Cheese Making: Recipes for 75 Delicious Cheeses
  • Slow Food Nation: Why Our Food Should Be Good, Clean, and Fair
  • The New Book of Middle Eastern Food
  • In the Kitchen with A Good Appetite: 150 Recipes and Stories About the Food You Love
  • Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table
  • The Country Cooking of Ireland
  • Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It: And Other Cooking Projects
Deborah Madison is an American chef, writer and cooking teacher. She has been called an expert on vegetarian cooking and her gourmet repertoire showcases fresh garden produce. Her work also highlights Slow Food, local foods and farmers' markets.
More about Deborah Madison...
Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone The Greens Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine from the Celebrated Restaurant Vegetable Literacy: Cooking and Gardening with Twelve Families from the Edible Plant Kingdom Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Drying, Cold Storage, and Lactic Fermentation What We Eat When We Eat Alone: Stories and 100 Recipes