Start by marking “Baleful Beasts and Eerie Creatures” as Want to Read:

Baleful Beasts and Eerie Creatures

4.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  38 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Unknown Binding, 124 pages
Published January 1st 1976 by Rand McNally & Company

To ask other readers questions about Baleful Beasts and Eerie Creatures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baleful Beasts and Eerie Creatures

Emma
May 24, 2012 Emma rated it it was amazing
Daniel
Jun 30, 2008 Daniel rated it really liked it
When I was much younger I found a well-read book at the library called Baleful Beasts and Eerie Creatures. There were stories in here that really scared the bejeesus out of me. Especially "the Patchwork Monkey" that story fed my nightmares for years. Unfortunately the book is out of print now so it's hard to get your hands on. If you get the chance give it a read(of course the years may have taken off some of the bite.)
Melody
Sep 13, 2008 Melody rated it it was amazing
When a book can captivate (and scare) you so much that you remember the stories and see the pictures in your mind 25 years later, you know it's a awesome book. I checked this book out almost every week from the school library. I wish I could find a reasonably priced copy to share with my neice and nephew. The Patchwork Monkey still freaks me out!!
Lori
Apr 15, 2009 Lori rated it liked it
I randomly checked this out as a kid and it was the scariest book I have ever read (not in a good fun way either) I still get chills when I think of some of the stories. "Whatever you do, do not read "the Patchwork Monkey"
Brenna
May 12, 2008 Brenna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, childrens
Great kid's horror book. Still terrified of the Patchwork Monkey!
James
Dec 30, 2015 James rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood
One of my all time favorites. I checked it out many times from my elementary school library. As an adult I discovered it was out of print and quite expensive on the used market. In a way I like that it has a special place in the collection of now rare books.
Tanya Spackman
Jan 02, 2015 Tanya Spackman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, thriller
I loved this book when I was a kid! I checked it out of the library probably 20 times (I can still picture where it was shelved). It has several deliciously creepy stories. It's long since out of print, which is a shame because kids from all generations should be totally freaked out by The Patchwork Monkey and The Basilisk. (The Patchwork Monkey can be read online here: http://the-haunted-closet.blogspot.co...)
Thom
Nov 11, 2013 Thom rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, young-adult
Basilisks, skunk apes, and gray tentacled things with shapeless, rubbery mouths.

Bought at a remaindered book store while on vacation many years ago. I still have my copy, though it is completely falling apart.

Good, eerie stories, peppered with great evocative color illustrations. I know that I'll be handing this off to my kids some day.
Lucy
May 26, 2012 Lucy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
My younger brother received this book as a Christmas gift when we were kids. He didn't want it, so I traded him one of my gifts for it. I can honestly say that "The Patchwork Monkey" was the first story I've ever read that scared me! I remember it to this day. If you've never read this book...find a copy at your local library!
Martha
I liked some of the stories, and tolerated others, but I never did make it through Patchwork Monkey....
Lean
Aug 02, 2011 Lean added it
good to read & and i still don't get it why sh*t sites don't wanna let the story publish?
Bret Pehrson
May 12, 2008 Bret Pehrson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Nice and scary! Read in 5th grade; The Patchwork Monkey kept me up at nights!
Eileen Finn
Eileen Finn marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Ben  Shepard
Ben Shepard marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Matt Velasco
Matt Velasco rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2016
Catherine McGrath
Catherine McGrath marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Latrice
Latrice marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2015
Maleficent
Maleficent marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
 (shan) Littlebookcove
(shan) Littlebookcove marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Jennamarie Westwood
Jennamarie Westwood marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Stephanie McGarrah
Stephanie McGarrah marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Osiris Oliphant
Osiris Oliphant marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Marcus
Marcus rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2015
Opal
Opal marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Mary M
Mary M marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Brooks
Brooks marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
seen this book 1 8 Mar 16, 2009 06:00PM
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male" ...more
More about Andre Norton...