Start by marking “A Visit to the House on Terminal Hill” as Want to Read:
A Visit to the House on Terminal Hill

A Visit to the House on Terminal Hill

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  35 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Tom Teal and Albert Barnes are government employees tasked with visiting a hard-to-reach house and convincing its inhabitant, a member of the Zarene family that controls the whole valley, that a large dam project is a good idea. But the Zarenes have their own way of doing things, and they don’t take kindly to outsiders…
At the publisher's request, this title is being sold w
Published June 11th 2013 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about A Visit to the House on Terminal Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Visit to the House on Terminal Hill

karen
Apr 29, 2014 karen rated it liked it
HERE IS SOMETHING USEFUL TO KNOW!!!

it seems that SOME of these free tor shorts are spin-offs of other, full-length books, which you may or may not have read. like, for example, this one. which i chose as my next "free tor read" because i had read and enjoyed a book by this author before. just not, regrettably, the one set in the same world as this story. BUT I OWN IT! (which is what i shall have carved on my tombstone)

i liked the story: - the atmosphere, the hints of magic, the situation that i
Zuky
Jul 06, 2016 Zuky rated it really liked it
“And what would you do with Mr. Teal anyway?”

Ghislain’s face softened. “Get him to show me what’s inside him.”

Gulp.

This story left me wanting more. I read through this so quickly and when I reached the end I was shocked that nothing else became of the story.

This was an enjoyable read. The perfect amount of creepiness and some excellent subtle paranormal things going on. I just need more of it! What happened to Barnes, the cow and what what was in that window seat? Why was Ghislain bonkers and li
Amy
Nov 29, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, short-story
Creepy story about some gov't guys trying to convince a family to leave a valley, which will be flooded by an upcoming dam project. Except the house on the hill. Eeek.
Audrey
Jan 15, 2014 Audrey rated it really liked it
Excellent -- although I think anything that allowed me back into Zarene Valley would be met with a high rating from me.
Kimikimi
Feb 14, 2015 Kimikimi rated it liked it
Shelves: tor-com
Another Tor.com short story.

I don't know if my reviewing skills are getting worse or if there is just less to say about these stories.

That said, this story has some of the flavoring of old fairy tales or ghost stories. Some of that bone deep shiver, but without a clear reason why. Nothing much obviously terrible happens, and yet stuff goes on unexplained in the shadows.
Kelly
Jun 15, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it
Wickedly atmospheric. I honestly didn't know what to expect as the story progressed. And while things didn't exactly play out as I was anticipating, they worked very nicely.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal

A Visit to the House on Terminal Hill was a free online read on the Tor.com website on 06/15/13.
Brosna
Dec 16, 2013 Brosna rated it it was amazing
This story really enhanced my reading of Mortal Fire. I wish I had got to it sooner!
Ada
Ada marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Amelia
Amelia rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2016
KG
KG added it
Mar 31, 2016
Genexo
Genexo marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Joshua Phillips
Joshua Phillips marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Elizabeth Nelson
Elizabeth Nelson rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2016
Gloria Mundi
Gloria Mundi rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2016
Kira
Kira marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Lianne
Lianne added it
May 15, 2016
Katbyrdie
Katbyrdie marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
MollyK
MollyK rated it it was ok
Jan 09, 2016
Jackie
Jackie rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
UV
UV added it
Dec 12, 2015
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2015
Alison
Alison rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2015
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Yuhan
Yuhan marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Jayne Metcalfe
Jayne Metcalfe rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2015
Lex
Lex added it
Aug 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Elizabeth Knox was born in Wellington‚ New Zealand‚ and is the author of eleven novels and three novella and a book of essays.

More about Elizabeth Knox...