The Unfortunate Marriage of Azeb Yitades

The Unfortunate Marriage of Azeb Yitades

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Spanning from the 1960s to the 1990s, The Unfortunate Marriage of Azeb Yitades is an epic tale of a small village in eastern Ethiopia struggling to maintain its identity and heritage as the modern world encroaches on its isolation.

Aba Yitades, the local priest, takes this challenge very personally. The father of three daughters, he is always alert to the new temptations th...more
Paperback
Published May 12th 2006 by Penguin Canada (first published January 1st 2006)

Jesse
Not long into my reading of this book I stopped, put it aside and did not come back to it for a long time. I started it not long after I had read 100 Years of Solitude and the theme of a small town, untouched by technology and colonization and rooted in superstition and religion was too similar to the book that I enjoyed that I almost resented it. Having loved Solitude I wasn't ready to see a carbon-copy of it.

The second reason I put it down was the because of the treatment of the character Aze...more
Allie
This is one of the more interesting books I've ever read. It's set in a small village in Ethiopia, where the author was born, and focuses on the life of the local priest and his family. Azeb Yitades is one of the priest's daughters. This village practises a sort of Christianity that I have never before heard of, and their village customs would thrill any anthropologist. It's a sad book in many ways but always riveting, always unusual.
Debra
Great story and great characters, plus insight into a little-known (to me, at least) culture.
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Nabse Bamato
Nabse Bamato marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Yeabsira
Yeabsira marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Caitlin
Caitlin is currently reading it
Feb 11, 2014
Jane from BC
Jane from BC marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
Jahida Starks Powell
Jahida Starks Powell marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2013
Kokeb Moges
Kokeb Moges marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2013
John Howitt
John Howitt marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2013
Stanley Gazemba
Stanley Gazemba marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2013
Buried In Print
Buried In Print marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2013
Addisu
Addisu marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2013
Claudia
Claudia marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2013
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
May 11, 2013
Irene
Irene added it
Apr 15, 2013
Ndeye Sene
Ndeye Sene marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2013
Lauren
Lauren is currently reading it
Mar 21, 2013
Haile Eyesus
Haile Eyesus marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2013
Haben
Haben marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2013
Rowena
Rowena marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2012
Notes from the Hyena's Belly: An Ethiopian Boyhood The God Who Begat a Jackal: A Novel