Start by marking “Togo (Dog Diaries, #4)” as Want to Read:
Togo (Dog Diaries, #4)

Togo (Dog Diaries #4)

Small, feisty Siberian husky Togo—the overlooked sled-dog hero of the 1925 serum run to Nome—sets the record straight in Dog Diaries #4! When a diptheria epidemic breaks out in isolated Nome, Alaska, in January 1925, the only way to get life-saving serum to the town is by using dog-sled relay teams. Twenty teams participate, and the dog who inevitably gets credit for savin ...more
Published January 7th 2014 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published December 7th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Togo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Togo

Ghoti
Feb 21, 2017 Ghoti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Judith and I loved this story of a brave dog saving children. It's told from the perspective of the dog, and it's a gripping story, well told. We're looking forward to the Iditarod in a couple of weeks, and wanted to know more about the history.
Duty
Feb 21, 2017 Duty rated it really liked it
Very nice book, it really shows the true hero of the serum run.
Annastone
Mar 10, 2014 Annastone rated it it was amazing
Very funny book about a dog who always gives his best. Togo is a very determined pup who longs to pull sleds with the big dogs. I enjoyed this book very much.
Joanne Herburn
Feb 26, 2016 Joanne Herburn rated it it was ok
This book I read in one day, it was for people a lot younger then me, but that is okay. I love these books because of the dog point-of-view, and things like that. I have read almost all of them. From the moment I saw the cover for ''Buddy'' and saw it was based on a true story, I thought they should do one on Balto, the hero dog. When I saw this I knew about Togo, and that he was also a hero. While I enjoyed the book I thought there were problems.

The plot was pretty much like a lot of books; a s
Ms. Yingling
Feb 03, 2014 Ms. Yingling rated it liked it
Togo is a sickly pup who is not expected to survive, although sled dog racer Leonhard Seppala thought he had what it took to become a sled dog and didn't give up on him. After a misspent youth that included a very brief stint as a house pet, Togo's energies are harnessed into dog sled racing, and he proves to be a valuable asset to "Sepp". After winning several races, Togo has to be part of a team that takes medicine to Nome, Alaska for a diptheria epidemic. The leader of the team that did the l ...more
Ellen
Jul 16, 2016 Ellen rated it it was amazing
As much as I usually groan when I read animal stories that often feel so formulaic, this series feels like animal stories "grown up" a bit. I'm loving them. Klimo does a great job weaving in history and breed facts so that I can't help but learn something while I'm being entertained by a great story, all told from the point of view of the title dog.

Togo's story overlaps with Balto, one of the sled dogs that saved Alaskan children's lives delivering medicine during a diptheria epidemic. Togo is r
Ms. Stephens
I was browsing the series books the library has for books I thought my 3rd grader would like, and these seemed promising. Indeed, he is now working through the entire series and is also reading the "Horse Diaries" books! (He also enjoyed the Journal of Anakin and the Journal of Darth Maul, etc.)

He thought I'd like this one, and since I'm always recommending books to him, it seems only fair that I read what he recommends to me.

It was enjoyable, certainly, and I like that it's historical fiction,
Cora Kertzman
Dec 14, 2014 Cora Kertzman rated it really liked it
Togo ws one f my favorite Dog Diaries because it was factual but fiction at the same time. Historical fiction is probably my second favorite type of book because it tells you about true events that aren't so true. Kate Klimo did an excellent job writing this story and I would absolutely here it again!
David James
Jun 05, 2014 David James rated it really liked it
A sweet kids' book that recounts a key chapter in Alaskan history and also offers a bit of insight into life during Territorial days. Written from the scrappy dog of the title's perspective. Plenty of humor and adventure make this one a good selection for early primary grade readers.
Sarahsarahsarahsarah
Jun 08, 2015 Sarahsarahsarahsarah rated it it was amazing
My favorite in the series. I'm not sure why, but it's very intriguing.

The book about Balto was on my to-read list, but I have took it off now. I find the Balto Business pretty unfair.
Julie
Feb 26, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it
I read this with my 8 year old son. I thought the Dog Diary series is interesting and informative. We will be reading others in the series soon.
Madeleine L
Madeleine L rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2017
Milana Waller
Milana Waller rated it it was ok
Dec 16, 2016
LitCoachLou
LitCoachLou rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2014
Leigh Black
Leigh Black rated it it was ok
Apr 25, 2015
Dawn
Dawn rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2014
Zach Adelman
Zach Adelman rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2015
Adeline Towle
Adeline Towle rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2016
Kim Heimbuch
Jul 17, 2014 Kim Heimbuch rated it liked it
3* Review Will post here after it posts at place of origin
Ava
Ava rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2014
Julia Moulder
Julia Moulder rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2015
Carlos R.
Carlos R. rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2017
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2014
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2015
Lena Cole
Lena Cole rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2017
Panda Pal
Panda Pal rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2017
Chloe
Chloe rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2017
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2014
Molly
Molly rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2015
Jacie Dagneau
Jacie Dagneau rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Nia the Night Owl Fairy (Rainbow Magic: Twilight Fairies, #5)
  • The Starving Time (My America: Elizabeth's Jamestown Colony Diary, #2)
  • Wedding Wings (Disney Fairies: The Never Girls, #5)
  • Captain Awesome Takes a Dive
  • Scaly Spotted Feathered Frilled: How do we know what dinosaurs really looked like?
  • Bean Dog and Nugget: The Ball
  • The Library of Alexandria
  • Zoobots: Wild Robots Inspired by Real Animals
  • Fabian Escapes
  • How Do You Burp in Space?: And Other Tips Every Space Tourist Needs to Know
  • Pearl and Wagner: One Funny Day
  • Farmer Will Allen and the Growing Table
  • Ariel: The Shimmering Star Necklace (Disney Princess Chapter Books)
  • Sylva and the Fairy Ball
  • Underworld: Exploring the Secret World Beneath Your Feet
  • Horse Heroes (Magic Tree House Fact Tracker, #27)

Dog Diaries (10 books)
  • Ginger (Dog Diaries, #1)
  • Buddy (Dog Diaries #2)
  • Barry (Dog Diaries, #3)
  • Dash (Dog Diaries, #5)
  • Sweetie (Dog Diaries, #6)
  • Stubby (Dog Diaries, #7)
  • Fala (Dog Diaries, #8)
  • Sparky (Dog Diaries, #9)
  • Rolf (Dog Diaries, #10)