Where in the Wild?: Camouflaged Creatures Concealed... and Revealed

Where in the Wild?: Camouflaged Creatures Concealed... and Revealed

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  184 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Ten creatures await, camouflaged in artful, full-page photographs, while playful poems offer clues about each animal's identity and whereabouts. Think you've spotted one? Lift one of ten gatefolds to find out. A full page of fascinating information accompanies each animal so readers can learn how nature's camouflage serves hunter and hunted alike. Why do fawns have spots d...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Tricycle Press

To ask other readers questions about Where in the Wild?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where in the Wild?

Christina
Jul 24, 2012 Christina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Classroom, reluctant readers
4 stars

My biggest pet peeve in non-fiction books is inaccurate facts. I would have rated this book 5 stars if it hadn't been exactly that - a misleading fact. "Coyotes, bobcats, and other members of the dog and cat families only see in black-and-white." I immediately had to check online to see if this were true because of a vague memory of hearing this myth debunked. While I didn't find enough information on coyotes specifically, I did find conflicting information in cats and dogs. Additionally,...more
Rosa Huerta
Visually provocative and informative, this book is the perfect combination of scientific inquiry and artistic design. Where in the wild features 30 pages of a real-world hide and seek game. On the two-page scenic layouts throughout the book, there are real photographs of animals in their natural environments hidden by camouflage. Our job as the reader, or ‘predator,’ is to gain clues from the poem, and find the sneaky critters that blend almost perfectly into their habitat. If we do not see any...more
Where in the Wild? offers another different approach to the informative book. After a brief introduction, each spread has a poem about a creature that uses camouflage in nature. The poems incorporate a variety of text layouts that sometimes convey a sense of the rhythm or correspond to the theme of the poem or illustration in interesting ways. The graphic design of the left page also incorporates patterns, colors, and images from the facing photo. The right side of the spreads feature color phot...more
Mrs. Knott
Great informational text series. Students of all age will enjoy this series on different levels. The author and photographer have done an excellent job working together to write about and see the amazing pictures. Each photograph shows an animal in its camouflaged habitat. Going along with the gorgeous photo is a poem that gives you clues and information about the animal. Open the flap and see where the animal is hiding in the photograph and then read additional information about the animal. Stu...more
Emily Bernd
Outstanding books of poems! The poems describe an animal and you have to try to find that animal on the next page and know what animal it is. I used it in a visualizing lesson and it worked perfectly! The students absolutely loved the pictures and trying to find the animals in it.
Christina
Kids love learning about animals, so kids would appreciate this book. I would use this book when I want students to write their own poems about an animal or if they do a research project on a specific animal. This book would also be great for a read aloud that focuses on using context clues and making predictions. The book provides information on multiple animals, such as birds, snakes, fish, and spiders. For each animal, it provides a poem about the behaviors of each animal, so the students cou...more
Vicki
Did not read this book aloud to the kindergarteners that I share it with. Showed the fantastic photographs and made more of an I Spy experience and talked about camouflage and blending in.
Tasha
This book combines visual puzzles with vivid photography and inviting poems. Each page is dedicated to a single animal who is camouflaged in the accompanying photograph. The poems reveal information on the animal but remain poetry, nicely bridging art and information. The images are inviting, amazing and great fun. Fold out the page, and you find the answer to the visual puzzle along with some fascinating facts about the creature.

A welcome addition to any science book collection, this book is be...more
Lindsey
This book uses little poem type riddles to explain an animal. Then the reader is to use the clues from the text along with the camouflaged picture of the animal to try and guess what animal it is that the page is talking about. Can YOU guess what the animals are?

I would use this book as a discussion book in groups. I would read the pages and have the students broke up in different groups and take guesses at the animal. I would then show the picture and see if they can figure it out from the pict...more
Mckinley
Interactive in that the reader can search for the critter.
Karla Talbot
Select passages from this book to introduce a lesson on Camouflage.
Sue Pak
I love this book!!! It's a great fun book for children to read.
There are many photographs in this book of animals in nature that camouflage in order to protect itself. It is up to the reader to find the animals in the photographs! It also has a lot of information on the animals and what they must do in order to survive.

Very interesting book! I would recommend this to any grade. All kids will be engaged with this book. However, putting it to use probably would not start until 3rd-4th grade.
Melissa Stewart
I'm so glad that this book has two follow up tiles (Where Else in the Wild? and What in the Wild?) because the game-like format really engages readers while promoting their observational skills. Each spread features a fun poem that gives clues about the animal that blends into the background of the accompanying phoot. If kids are stumped, there's an easuy fix. Just open the gatefold to see an opaqued version of the image with only the hidden animal shown clearly. What a fun book!
Kaethe
Not enough of a challenge for the 1st grader, but cool pictures.
Shelbi Bishop
This book contains informational poems about creatures. It also gives photos for you to find the creatures in.

This book is great to help teach students infer, which will give them better comprehension skills. You can decipher each line, making guesses on what animal you think it is. In the end, you can look through the pictures and see if you can recognize it, then live the flap and it will tell you exactly what animal it is along with other information about it.
H
A very appealing book of poems about animals and camouflage that also includes interesting facts about the animals and how and why the camouflage they employ works. Kids who love Steve Jenkins will like these books, and it will make a great read aloud as well (though skip all the extra facts). The photographs are color-saturated and amazing. The lift the flap could be a little problematic in a school library, but well worth it. Well done.
Jen
This is an excellent book for children of all ages! Animals are pictured in these full-color photographs, camouflaged by their surroundings and readers can look to see if they can "spy" them. If they can't, they can lift the pages up and see where the animal was hiding and learn more facts about them. My boys LOVED this book! It's part of the Read to Lead in Wisconsin State Parks program for this year and that's how we discovered it!
JustOneMoreBook.com
Ten pleasantly familiar animals perch boldly exposed — yet cleverly concealed — in full page photographs tossing tantalizing clues to their whereabouts through an assortment of snappy, lyrical, comical and informative poems in this 2007 Cybils Non-Fiction Picture Book Award Finalist.

You can listen to our chat about this book on the Children's Book Podcast .
Melissa
Love it! The text is super-engaging and fact-filled, enticing learners to want to discover more. The photos are fun, and kids (both small group and one-on-one) enjoy searching for the hidden creatures. It is a little harder to pull this off with a larger group, but you could make a power point and project it on a screen for all to see. Perfect for preK-1st grade, develops reading skills and interest in science.
Mrs. Wynn
Unlike most hide-and-seek books, this one show us the answer under the folded page. Camouflage always catches my students' imagination, and they love to look for the hidden animals. When I share this book with very young students (kindergarten or first graders) I only share one fact from the fact page for each animal. The photography is beautiful, and the book's layout is unique.
Ryan Miller
A fantastic book on animal camouflage, offering readers opportunities to find the concealed creatures, with a foldout page revealing the hidden pictures and offering detailed text about the methods and reasons for the deception. There is enough here to enthrall children from the age of 2 (my son) to at least the middle elementary grades, and likely older.
Nora
Wonderful poetry, and an "I spy" quality with camouflaged pictures and a flip-back page to reveal the animal. I've used this book with a wide age range (K-4th grades) and it is always a hit. The text design and overall book design make this a book I love to give as a present. I'm surprised I haven't seen it on more non-fiction award lists.
Judi Paradis
Kids love this clever introduction to camouflage. Creatures are camouflaged in a photograph on each page. The text gives clues as to what animal is disguised and you have to look very carefully to see who is there. When you turn the page, the animal is brightly colored and the background fades to let you see if you were right!
Jess
Nov 05, 2013 Jess rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: yes. people. kids. teachers.
Well this is fun! Cool photos, a bit of a game with the answers hidden yet accessible, and plenty of interesting facts about each animal under the flap. If I promote it, I know kids will check it out like crazy

The poems? Eh. I'll be honest and admit I skipped most to hunt for the animal. I think you did too.

Amy
Amazing photos of camouflaged animals -- if you didn't know they were there, you'd glance right over them! Fascinating! Both kids and adults found this book to be lots of fun, and the kids got really excited to look for the animals in the follow-up books, Where Else In the Wild? and What in the Wild?.
Jackie
Camouflage at its best! These animals and insects are incredibly hard to find, even with the poetic clues. Kids will have fun inspecting each expertly photographed puzzle. Where in the Wild?: Camouglaged Creatures Concealed...and Revealed, Ear-Tickling Poems is a masterpiece of nature's illusions.
Logan Walker
This is a great book that can be used to teach inferring. Has poems about different animals, and the students have to try to figure out what the animal is based off the clues given in the poem. Great for students who are having trouble using illustrations in books to help them read.
Dee-Ann
I read this with my six year old. He loved looking for the animals, but did not want me to read the poems or the words describing the animals. Some of the animals were a challenge to find, especially the eggs. I liked the poems, especially the one that was shaped like spider legs.
Adam Hardesty
This is a great book to help kids to develop their inferring skills. They are parts of pictures of animals with clever poems to help the reader guess what the picture is. This is a good book that should be utilized in the classroom.
Kelly Triplett
A great book to incorporate into comprehension lessons, using an inferring strategy. The vocabulary may be a bit challenging for early elementary students, but with a bit of extra effort and instruction, it could still be very effective.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Night Flight: Amelia Earhart Crosses the Atlantic
  • Pop!: The Invention of Bubble Gum
  • Frogs
  • Can We Save the Tiger?
  • What Do You Do When Something Wants To Eat You?
  • Meet the Dogs of Bedlam Farm
  • The Circus Ship
  • Swirl by Swirl: Spirals in Nature
  • Life in the Ocean: The Story of Oceanographer Sylvia Earle
  • Outside Your Window: A First Book of Nature
As a child, I was filled with a sense of awe as I contemplated the universe. The huge numbers of stars and their sizes and distances never failed to amaze me. With binoculars and magnifying glass, I also focused on closer subjects like birds, flowers, frogs and bugs.

But science and math weren't my only fascinations: I also loved bicycles, baseball, boats…and ice cream. Years later, on a clear spr...more
More about David M. Schwartz...
How Much Is a Million? If You Hopped Like A Frog If You Made a Million Millions to Measure G Is for Googol: A Math Alphabet Book