Start by marking “Where in the Wild?: Camouflaged Creatures Concealed... and Revealed” as Want to Read:
Where in the Wild?: Camouflaged Creatures Concealed... and Revealed

Where in the Wild?: Camouflaged Creatures Concealed... and Revealed

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  244 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
Ten creatures await, camouflaged in artful, full-page photographs, while playful poems offer clues about each animal's identity and whereabouts. Think you've spotted one? Lift one of ten gatefolds to find out. A full page of fascinating information accompanies each animal so readers can learn how nature's camouflage serves hunter and hunted alike. Why do fawns have spots d ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Tricycle Press

To ask other readers questions about Where in the Wild?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where in the Wild?

Bink & Gollie by Kate DiCamilloWe are in a Book! by Mo WillemsBlackout by John RoccoEven Monsters Need Haircuts by Matthew McElligottLulu and the Brontosaurus by Judith Viorst
2013 Monarch Nominees
18th out of 20 books — 15 voters
Me...Jane by Patrick McDonnellBalloons Over Broadway by Melissa SweetRedwoods by Jason ChinA Seed Is Sleepy by Dianna Hutts AstonAn Egg Is Quiet by Dianna Hutts Aston
Best non-fiction picture books
200th out of 353 books — 114 voters

More lists with this book...

Clarissa
Dec 05, 2014 Clarissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: informational
Where in the Wild?: Camouflaged Creatures Concealed... and Revealed by David M Schwartz will take its readers on a scientific journey like no other. Clever little poems will give you the clues, now can you guess who is hiding in the Wild? Just open the flap and all will be revealed. Schwartz uses guessing games and camouflage to engage students in science. The exploration of nature and animals is only made more intriguing by the beautiful full page pictures taken by Dwight Kuhn. The harder you l ...more
Alicia Singleton
This book is about different animals/insect and how they use camouflage in the wild. I really enjoyed this book as an adult; it is interactive, while at the same time being informative. I think that anybody would enjoy this book, young or old. It is fun to look at and learn from. Anyone that likes animals would really enjoy this book. Even if you do not necessarily like animal, you would like this book. This book can be used for a number of different lessons; poetry, wild animals, and a type of ...more
Christina
Jul 24, 2012 Christina rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Classroom, reluctant readers
4 stars

My biggest pet peeve in non-fiction books is inaccurate facts. I would have rated this book 5 stars if it hadn't been exactly that - a misleading fact. "Coyotes, bobcats, and other members of the dog and cat families only see in black-and-white." I immediately had to check online to see if this were true because of a vague memory of hearing this myth debunked. While I didn't find enough information on coyotes specifically, I did find conflicting information in cats and dogs. Additionally,
Rosa Huerta
Dec 09, 2012 Rosa Huerta rated it it was amazing
Visually provocative and informative, this book is the perfect combination of scientific inquiry and artistic design. Where in the wild features 30 pages of a real-world hide and seek game. On the two-page scenic layouts throughout the book, there are real photographs of animals in their natural environments hidden by camouflage. Our job as the reader, or ‘predator,’ is to gain clues from the poem, and find the sneaky critters that blend almost perfectly into their habitat. If we do not see any ...more
Jan 04, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: younger-readers
Where in the Wild? offers another different approach to the informative book. After a brief introduction, each spread has a poem about a creature that uses camouflage in nature. The poems incorporate a variety of text layouts that sometimes convey a sense of the rhythm or correspond to the theme of the poem or illustration in interesting ways. The graphic design of the left page also incorporates patterns, colors, and images from the facing photo. The right side of the spreads feature color phot ...more
Siskiyou-Suzy
Fine concept. I love interactive, guessing-game type books like this (though I do think they're a little one-time use for each child). But the poetry in this sucks for its audience. The language is way too difficult, and unnecessarily so! I guess it's done for poetic effect, but this is a book for children, and it's not like the poetry is so lovely. It just uses language too difficult for its audience. The fold-out pages were interesting, but unnecessary I think.
Michele Knott
Great informational text series. Students of all age will enjoy this series on different levels. The author and photographer have done an excellent job working together to write about and see the amazing pictures. Each photograph shows an animal in its camouflaged habitat. Going along with the gorgeous photo is a poem that gives you clues and information about the animal. Open the flap and see where the animal is hiding in the photograph and then read additional information about the animal. Stu ...more
Emily Bernd
Outstanding books of poems! The poems describe an animal and you have to try to find that animal on the next page and know what animal it is. I used it in a visualizing lesson and it worked perfectly! The students absolutely loved the pictures and trying to find the animals in it.
Christina
Sep 11, 2013 Christina rated it it was amazing
Kids love learning about animals, so kids would appreciate this book. I would use this book when I want students to write their own poems about an animal or if they do a research project on a specific animal. This book would also be great for a read aloud that focuses on using context clues and making predictions. The book provides information on multiple animals, such as birds, snakes, fish, and spiders. For each animal, it provides a poem about the behaviors of each animal, so the students cou ...more
Vicki
Jun 06, 2014 Vicki rated it really liked it
Did not read this book aloud to the kindergarteners that I share it with. Showed the fantastic photographs and made more of an I Spy experience and talked about camouflage and blending in.
Tasha
May 13, 2008 Tasha rated it it was amazing
This book combines visual puzzles with vivid photography and inviting poems. Each page is dedicated to a single animal who is camouflaged in the accompanying photograph. The poems reveal information on the animal but remain poetry, nicely bridging art and information. The images are inviting, amazing and great fun. Fold out the page, and you find the answer to the visual puzzle along with some fascinating facts about the creature.

A welcome addition to any science book collection, this book is be
Monica
Feb 04, 2016 Monica rated it liked it
Read this and it will encourage you to discover the world more closely.
Lindsey
Nov 25, 2011 Lindsey rated it really liked it
This book uses little poem type riddles to explain an animal. Then the reader is to use the clues from the text along with the camouflaged picture of the animal to try and guess what animal it is that the page is talking about. Can YOU guess what the animals are?

I would use this book as a discussion book in groups. I would read the pages and have the students broke up in different groups and take guesses at the animal. I would then show the picture and see if they can figure it out from the pict
Mckinley
Feb 27, 2014 Mckinley rated it it was amazing
Interactive in that the reader can search for the critter.
Karla Talbot
Select passages from this book to introduce a lesson on Camouflage.
Lisa
Mar 08, 2016 Lisa rated it it was amazing
This is a great book about the way animals camouflage their bodies!
Sue Pak
I love this book!!! It's a great fun book for children to read.
There are many photographs in this book of animals in nature that camouflage in order to protect itself. It is up to the reader to find the animals in the photographs! It also has a lot of information on the animals and what they must do in order to survive.

Very interesting book! I would recommend this to any grade. All kids will be engaged with this book. However, putting it to use probably would not start until 3rd-4th grade.
Melissa Stewart
May 24, 2010 Melissa Stewart rated it it was amazing
I'm so glad that this book has two follow up tiles (Where Else in the Wild? and What in the Wild?) because the game-like format really engages readers while promoting their observational skills. Each spread features a fun poem that gives clues about the animal that blends into the background of the accompanying phoot. If kids are stumped, there's an easuy fix. Just open the gatefold to see an opaqued version of the image with only the hidden animal shown clearly. What a fun book!
Kaethe
Jul 17, 2014 Kaethe rated it liked it
Not enough of a challenge for the 1st grader, but cool pictures.
Shelbi Bishop
Oct 06, 2011 Shelbi Bishop rated it really liked it
Shelves: informational, poetry
This book contains informational poems about creatures. It also gives photos for you to find the creatures in.

This book is great to help teach students infer, which will give them better comprehension skills. You can decipher each line, making guesses on what animal you think it is. In the end, you can look through the pictures and see if you can recognize it, then live the flap and it will tell you exactly what animal it is along with other information about it.
H
Mar 08, 2012 H rated it really liked it
Shelves: monarch-2013
A very appealing book of poems about animals and camouflage that also includes interesting facts about the animals and how and why the camouflage they employ works. Kids who love Steve Jenkins will like these books, and it will make a great read aloud as well (though skip all the extra facts). The photographs are color-saturated and amazing. The lift the flap could be a little problematic in a school library, but well worth it. Well done.
Jen
Jul 10, 2012 Jen rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book for children of all ages! Animals are pictured in these full-color photographs, camouflaged by their surroundings and readers can look to see if they can "spy" them. If they can't, they can lift the pages up and see where the animal was hiding and learn more facts about them. My boys LOVED this book! It's part of the Read to Lead in Wisconsin State Parks program for this year and that's how we discovered it!
JustOneMoreBook.com
Jan 09, 2008 JustOneMoreBook.com rated it it was amazing
Ten pleasantly familiar animals perch boldly exposed — yet cleverly concealed — in full page photographs tossing tantalizing clues to their whereabouts through an assortment of snappy, lyrical, comical and informative poems in this 2007 Cybils Non-Fiction Picture Book Award Finalist.

You can listen to our chat about this book on the Children's Book Podcast .
Melissa
Jan 28, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Love it! The text is super-engaging and fact-filled, enticing learners to want to discover more. The photos are fun, and kids (both small group and one-on-one) enjoy searching for the hidden creatures. It is a little harder to pull this off with a larger group, but you could make a power point and project it on a screen for all to see. Perfect for preK-1st grade, develops reading skills and interest in science.
Mrs. Wynn
Jan 22, 2013 Mrs. Wynn rated it really liked it
Unlike most hide-and-seek books, this one show us the answer under the folded page. Camouflage always catches my students' imagination, and they love to look for the hidden animals. When I share this book with very young students (kindergarten or first graders) I only share one fact from the fact page for each animal. The photography is beautiful, and the book's layout is unique.
Ryan Miller
Aug 09, 2012 Ryan Miller rated it really liked it
A fantastic book on animal camouflage, offering readers opportunities to find the concealed creatures, with a foldout page revealing the hidden pictures and offering detailed text about the methods and reasons for the deception. There is enough here to enthrall children from the age of 2 (my son) to at least the middle elementary grades, and likely older.
Nora
Nov 18, 2010 Nora rated it it was amazing
Wonderful poetry, and an "I spy" quality with camouflaged pictures and a flip-back page to reveal the animal. I've used this book with a wide age range (K-4th grades) and it is always a hit. The text design and overall book design make this a book I love to give as a present. I'm surprised I haven't seen it on more non-fiction award lists.
Judi Paradis
Jun 05, 2010 Judi Paradis rated it liked it
Kids love this clever introduction to camouflage. Creatures are camouflaged in a photograph on each page. The text gives clues as to what animal is disguised and you have to look very carefully to see who is there. When you turn the page, the animal is brightly colored and the background fades to let you see if you were right!
Jess
Nov 05, 2013 Jess rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: yes. people. kids. teachers.
Well this is fun! Cool photos, a bit of a game with the answers hidden yet accessible, and plenty of interesting facts about each animal under the flap. If I promote it, I know kids will check it out like crazy

The poems? Eh. I'll be honest and admit I skipped most to hunt for the animal. I think you did too.

Amy
May 21, 2009 Amy rated it it was amazing
Amazing photos of camouflaged animals -- if you didn't know they were there, you'd glance right over them! Fascinating! Both kids and adults found this book to be lots of fun, and the kids got really excited to look for the animals in the follow-up books, Where Else In the Wild? and What in the Wild?.
  • Night Flight: Amelia Earhart Crosses the Atlantic
  • Can We Save the Tiger?
  • Frog Song
  • Pop!: The Invention of Bubble Gum
  • Butterflies And Moths
  • What Do You Do When Something Wants To Eat You?
  • Raindrops Roll
  • Feathers: Not Just for Flying
  • Even Monsters Need Haircuts
  • The Case of the Vanishing Golden Frogs: A Scientific Mystery
  • Ant and Grasshopper
As a child, I was filled with a sense of awe as I contemplated the universe. The huge numbers of stars and their sizes and distances never failed to amaze me. With binoculars and magnifying glass, I also focused on closer subjects like birds, flowers, frogs and bugs.

But science and math weren't my only fascinations: I also loved bicycles, baseball, boats…and ice cream. Years later, on a clear spr
More about David M. Schwartz...