Start by marking “The Woman Who Lost China” as Want to Read:
The Woman Who Lost China

The Woman Who Lost China

Epic, tender, brutal. THE WOMAN WHO LOST CHINA by Rhiannon Jenkins Tsang is a historical novel about China that deals with little people at the mercy of forces greater than themselves.

It is 1949 and the Chinese Republic is collapsing under Mao Tse Tung’s communist onslaught. Manying, distressed and frightened and unsure of the fate of her soldier husband, must flee Nanjing
Published June 15th 2013 by Open Books (first published May 3rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Woman Who Lost China, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Woman Who Lost China

Kathy
Jul 15, 2013 Kathy rated it liked it
When I read a really good historical fiction set in a specific locale, I tend to choose more books set in the same place (just look at my Where Am I Reading map, poor England is almost covered). A couple of years ago, I could not get enough of China. Of course, I moved on, but when I saw this book on Library Thing, with its beautiful cover, I decided to revisit the country.

Readers are introduced to Manying in the first pages. Her situation was very urgent and I was immediately wrapped up in her
Carolina
Sep 29, 2013 Carolina rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
Originally posted at: A Girl that Likes Books

Why I read this book?

I got this book with the LybraryThing Early Reviewers program in exchange for an honest review. I asked for the book since I really loved books settled in places I've never been to visit them in my mind (for now)

What's the book about?

The book tells us the story Wen Manying, a woman born in the early 1890's right before the first Sino-Japanese War in continental China. Through her life, she will be witness of War, Revolution and Ex
DubaiReader
Aug 17, 2013 DubaiReader rated it liked it
Shelves: lter, kindle, 2013
Interesting title and an eye-catching cover.

Unfortunately the book didn't quite do justice to its title and cover. There was a lot of switching about time-wise and the book lacked a feeling of continuity.

When we meet Manying, in 1949, she is hurriedly escaping from her hometown of Nanjing with her baby son. She catches the last train out of Nanjing, to exile in Hong Kong with her husband's brother. Here she lives in poverty, on the charity of her brother in law.
We follow her through the Communis
Gayle
Jul 21, 2013 Gayle rated it liked it
I seek novels set in China and have read quite a few.
My late husband was Chinese and his family left China and
moved to Hong Kong when the Communists began their
takeover of the country.
I was thrilled when I was selected as an early reader by
Library Things. It took me longer than usual to read this book.
I blamed it on outside forces such as my schedule and my poor health.
It was only after I finished the book that I realized it was the
plodding required to get through this book that was the probl
Gregory Heath
Nov 29, 2013 Gregory Heath rated it it was amazing
'The Woman Who Lost China' is an epic tale, stretching over more than a century and detailing the lives of a wide array of characters, their fates interweaving as personal and political circumstances shift and change. There are big themes here, of war, loss, love and betrayal, and as a fellow novelist I take my hat off to Jenkins Tsang for the scope of her storytelling and her natural talent for description. There are occasional inconsistencies in the finer details and, at one point, the ...more
Lydia Presley
Jul 13, 2013 Lydia Presley marked it as unable-to-finish
Unfortunately, this story did not work for me. I made it about 50 pages in before the choppy writing style, uncomfortable dialog, and overabundance of information being unloaded on me (and not in an interesting way) made me put the book down in disgust. I can't even rate this book because 1. I didn't finish it and 2. I'm just too apathetic at this point to care.

I am just grateful that I won this copy and that I did not shell out money. If you want to read a fantastic story about China, I'd sugge
Christy Fearn
Aug 05, 2013 Christy Fearn rated it really liked it
'The Woman Who Lost China' is a fascinating read, spanning history and keeping the reader engrossed throughout. It is not a time period or location with which I am familiar, but I could almost smell the railway carriages and taste the food.
Manying's journey through time and distance bridges the events that link the Imperial days of footbinding to modern Communism, whilst describing the realities of war with Japan and the plight of Chinese Christians. A really well researched novel that engages a
Lorraine
Aug 02, 2013 Lorraine rated it liked it
I enjoy books about different cultures, Chinese culture in particular. I also like books that teach me about different eras. I found both in this book. This book tells the story of how war and political unrest affected the lives of the protagonist Manying and those close to her. The author expertly weaves the tale through most of the book. I felt that the "surprise twist" at the end of the book both improbable and unnecessary. But overall, I enjoyed the book and look forward to what this author ...more
Lesli
Sep 10, 2013 Lesli rated it it was ok
This novel fails to deliver. The writing drags. The time shifts are choppy. The info dumps are painful. If the inspiration for this author is Amy Tan, she has a lot of room to improve. **This was an advanced reader copy won through the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program.**
Judie
Jun 18, 2013 Judie rated it did not like it
I didn't like this book and can't find anything positive to say about it. The writing was choppy at the beginning making it difficult to understand the first few pages and then it became stilted. The characters were wooden and the situations unbelievable. I can't recommend this book.
David Ross
David Ross rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2013
Kelly Huddleston
Kelly Huddleston rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2013
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2014
Jack Sakalauskas
Jack Sakalauskas rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2013
Open Books
Open Books rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2014
Andie
Andie rated it it was ok
Jul 17, 2013
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2013
Beckie
Beckie rated it did not like it
Nov 20, 2013
Edgar Jenkins
Jun 20, 2013 Edgar Jenkins rated it really liked it
A good read for me. Love, passion, intrigue and betrayal against the backdrop if Chinese history.
Carol Ann
Carol Ann rated it did not like it
Jun 23, 2013
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
May 03, 2013
Kathy H
Kathy H marked it as to-read
May 12, 2013
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
May 25, 2013
Cindy Gates
Cindy Gates marked it as to-read
Maureen Ryan
Maureen Ryan marked it as to-read
Rosanna-Michelle
Rosanna-Michelle marked it as to-read
Melissa Herston
Melissa Herston marked it as to-read
Barry
Barry marked it as to-read
Sharon Huether
Sharon Huether marked it as to-read
Dorie
Dorie marked it as to-read
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Shekenah
Shekenah marked it as to-read
Christiane
Christiane marked it as to-read
Darcee Kraus
Darcee Kraus marked it as to-read
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Patricia Bergman
Patricia Bergman marked it as to-read
Daryl Moad
Daryl Moad marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sonia
Sonia marked it as to-read
Gill
Gill marked it as to-read
Barbara Zitsch
Barbara Zitsch marked it as to-read
Melissa Dials
Melissa Dials marked it as to-read
Rebecca Rodriguez
Rebecca Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Margie
Margie marked it as to-read
Jane Niemeyer
Jane Niemeyer marked it as to-read
Cynthia Willis
Cynthia Willis marked it as to-read
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2013
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Xeno
Xeno marked it as to-read
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
  • The Bathing Women
  • The Printmaker's Daughter
  • The Pitman's Daughter
  • The Night of the Comet
  • The Lotus and the Storm
Rhiannon was born and educated in Yorkshire. As a young person she spent a lot of time in Europe, and speaks French, German and Spanish, as well as Mandarin Chinese and Cantonese. She read Chinese at Oxford and made her first trip to China, via Karachi and Islamabad, at the age of nineteen. She found a silent, black and white country largely abandoned since 1949, and a traumatised people emerging ...more
More about Rhiannon Jenkins Tsang...