Start by marking “The Third Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #3)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Third Book of Swords

Fred Saberhagen

The Third Book of Swords (Books of Swords #3)

3.86  ·  Rating Details ·  1,982 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Coinspinner, Farslayer, Mindsword, and nine more...The gods gave the Swords of Power to humankind for a game--but the swords can kill gods as well as mortals. And as the gods begin to die, the mortals find that life is not what it seemed...
Published August 28th 1984 by T. Doherty Associates (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Third Book of Swords, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Third Book of Swords

Josh
Jun 26, 2015 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-fantasy
The conclusion to Saberhagen's epic is both thought-provoking and frustrating, wonderfully creative and slightly shallow. It's a very good capstone to the trilogy, but suffers from some of the same flaws and challenges of the early volumes.

All of the conflicts are coming out into the open, with the Dark King taking control of the Mindsword ready to conquer the world. The Silver Queen stands against him, with Soulcutter at her command. Kind Sir Andrew fights to keep his people free of both, Shiel
Éric Kasprak
Dec 07, 2015 Éric Kasprak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good old fashion fantasy book (with a twist). I love the simple, no non-sense writing approach of M. Saberhagen and that is more then enough when you have a good story to tell. You won't find convoluted inner dialogues of the characters mind set, no deep exploration of the psychology and moral aspect of their every actions but what you get is a very good story with an emphasis on the fun factor and sense of wonder of early classic fantasy. Of course you obviously get the Swords, these ...more
Adara
May 24, 2016 Adara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of epic fantasy, patient readers
Shelves: fantasy
Reading this book is like having a surprisingly tasty home-cooked meal that just doesn't have enough seasoning. I think the entire series would have been 100 times more popular if Saberhagen had taken the time to do a bit of character development and maybe throw in a few more descriptions to add some depth to the overall story.

It's classic fantasy at its finest and the story's concept is really great, but alas, Saberhagen decided to keep things simple, which is refreshing in its own way I suppo
Brent
Aug 14, 2011 Brent rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
Not as good as I remembered. The premise has stuck with me for over twenty years, but upon re-reading, the lack of charter development really hindered my enjoyment of this series.
Jefferson Coombs
I read the Sword books in high school. I remember liking them and enjoying having the magic revolve around the weapon rather than a person. In this series I remember liking some books more than others so some of them should probably be rated 4 stars but I don't remember which were the better ones, it has been too many years. This will be the same review for all of the books in the series except for the last two which were published after I left high school and so were not read at the same time.
Wise_owl
I've read this book before, and as I've commented on before, this series cementer my love of the concept of a collection of magical objects. Something probably birthed for me in Lord of the rings and the unanswered question of 'What the hell do the rest of those rings do?'.

The Third book of Swords picks up where the previous one left oft, but where the first book had a sort of classic 'farm-boy becomes adventurer' vibe, and the second a classic conan-esque 'otwit the evil sorcerers to get to the
Peter Kazmaier
I was close to rating the Third Book of Swords as four stars but the ending disappointed me. Of the three volumes, I found this one most engaging. I particularly was encouraged by the question raised by the god Vulcan after he realized he had been created by mortals: "Then who created them [mortals]?" Unfortunately this most interesting of questions was left unanswered. Indeed the answer was not even attempted.

A well-crafted story worth reading once in my opinion. My edition had several editing
Marc Taylor
I haven't read these books since the mid-eighties. I remembered loving them from back then, so took the opportunity to listen to all three of the series while waiting for a few other books to come to market.

As for this trilogy, specifically, the final book in the trilogy, there was a LOT left unwritten and unsaid. I was highly disappointed in the conclusion of this book and it seemed to just, well, die, there was no real ending.

Maybe I'd have been better off with the fond memories of the past th
Jeremy Preacher
The Third... brings at least one of the major themes to its conclusion, and Mark's character arc to a new plateau. It's not as much sheer fun as The Second... - it's a war novel, not a heist novel, and there's as much about army movements and stealthy raids as magic Swords and the machinations of the gods. But it's a broader and more exciting story than The First, and unlike that one it's tightly plotted.

If Saberhagen had left the series here I think it would not have been nearly as memorable as
Jeff
Dec 13, 2013 Jeff rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
Cody
Feb 10, 2016 Cody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Books of Swords were pretty old-school fantasy. Not Tolkien old school, but old enough.

The telling of the story isn't as detailed as more modern novels, but the telling of only the important bits makes the story move along at a good clip.

Most of the Swords themselves had pretty neat powers that works well within the books, even if the protagonists are so good that the thought of what they could do with the Swords ever really crosses their minds. That's part of what makes these books so old s
Peach
May 22, 2015 Peach rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This series was good but it lacked character development and for me, a worthwhile romance. There was some instalove towards the end that didn't do it for me.
JR
Jul 23, 2016 JR rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This seriers grows on you
Its worth a read
Tony
Apr 14, 2014 Tony rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I figured being the final book in the series this book would have more conclusions to it and bring the story to an end. Sadly, I found I had just as many unanswered questions and confusion as I did when i finished book 1.
Dawn
Oct 11, 2015 Dawn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't keep my attention.
Lawrence
Feb 23, 2014 Lawrence marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
FALSE
Joel
Apr 05, 2016 Joel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Classic fun fantasy. Lacked any real depth but has a fun premise.
Alex
Dec 01, 2010 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
see first book of swords for my review of the series. Its been a while so I may blunder but I seem to recall there weren't any exceptions to the awesomeness outside of the fact that the first three were a little slower than the rest.
Melissa
May 11, 2008 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melissa by: Jason
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
I like this book the best of the three sword books. The characters are well-developed, the pace is brisk, and the mythology is very interesting.
Shannon Appelcline
Jun 21, 2013 Shannon Appelcline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The epic scope and ideas of this book are great, though Saberhagen's writing (and particularly his plotting) doesn't always live up to it.
Xeddicus
Like the others, ending seemed kind of abrupt. And the relationship between two characters seemed to go sour out of nowhere, but meh.
Neil Blumfield
The ending had the definite air of being rushed about it. Interesting series of books though and nice ideas and characters.
Justin Salisbury
This is a rather odd fantasy setting, but I really enjoy these books.
Jonathan
Aug 13, 2007 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dreams are very powerful
Jackie
Apr 09, 2014 Jackie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, epic
Fantastic series.
Nigel
Nigel marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
David Coleman
David Coleman rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2016
Ken McWilliams
Ken McWilliams rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2016
Dan Chater
Dan Chater rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2016
  • Conan the Liberator (Book 14)
  • Swords in the Mist (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #3)
  • Unicorn Variations
  • Count Brass (Chronicles of Castle Brass, #1)
  • Mother of Winter (Darwath #4)
  • The Deryni Archives
  • Secret of the Sixth Magic (Magics, #2)
  • Conan (Book 1)
  • With a Single Spell (Ethshar, #2)
  • Pirates of the Thunder (Rings of the Master, #2)
  • Wings of Omen (Thieves' World, #6)
  • The Dragon Masters
  • The List Unseen (The Chronicles of Lumineia: The Second Draeken War, #4)
  • An Emperor for the Legion (The Videssos Cycle, #2)

Books of Swords (4 books)
  • The First Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #1)
  • The Second Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #2)
  • Blind Man's Blade (Saberhagen's Book of Swords)