Start by marking “Sharky's Machine” as Want to Read:
Sharky's Machine

Sharky's Machine

Italy, 1944: A squad of American soldiers on a dangerous secret mission is ambushed and slaughtered . . . and a fortune in gold vanishes.
Hong Kong, 1959: An aging American colonel, haunted by his wartime past, is brutally murdered in a luxurious brothel.
Atlanta, 1975: The last survivor of the fatal World War II ambush in Italy is executed at point blank range in a parking
Published 1979 by Sphere Books (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Sharky's Machine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sharky's Machine

Joe  Noir
Jul 20, 2014 Joe Noir rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel is a thumping good read.

You are probably familiar with the film version of this novel, first published in 1978. This past weekend, I ran across this book at a library book sale in Newport News, and just read it for the first time. It’s an exciting edge of the seat experience that moves along at just the right speed; a novel that stayed on my mind when I wasn’t reading it, even though I had seen the film version. It involves a likable cast of police detectives in a sort of combination
Trisha
Nov 02, 2013 Trisha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007
Senator Donald Hotchins is een man vol ambities. Hij staat op het punt door te stoten tot de hoogste functie ter wereld. Hotchins stelt zich kandidaat voor het presidentschap van de Verenigde Staten. Hij kan niet vermoeden, dat de vrouw die hij liefheeft en deman van wiens geld hij afhankelijk is geheimen verborgen houden, die he in één klap voor altijd kunnen breken.

Domino Brittian, Hotchins' beeldschone maitresse, heeft een clandestiene nevenfunctie als hoogst exclusieve callgirl, wier klanten
Kyle
Sep 04, 2012 Kyle rated it liked it
If you are a fan of Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry, then you'll likely be at home with Sharky's Machine that focuses on a detective named Sharky who is quick to forgo police procedures and pump some well-deserved lead into criminals.

The story is set in 1975 Atlanta, with short sections set in 1944 Italy and 1959 Hong Kong that eventually tie into the main story. This was Diehl's first novel written in 1978, and there are a few surveillance technologies that are outdated, but they weren't a huge d
Dava Stewart
Aug 03, 2012 Dava Stewart rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who like detective stories
Tom
Oct 19, 2012 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the book because I get obsessed with the Burt Reynolds movie from time to time. I actually like the book a little better; some of the stuff they omitted in the movie worked for me. Sure, one of the characters is a "sadistic homosexual", but his gratuitous love scene was something else... You can't really fault a police procedural peppered with World War II plotlines, coked-up assassins AND NINJAS!!!!!
Terryann Saint
Huh. Basically masturbation, drugs and violence...not always in that order and often together. Well written for it's time, and I can see the appeal. The copy I got used had a different cover, and when opened, a topless woman. Guess I oughta catch the film now.
Dr Michael John Clemons
Great read!

I read this book in paperback about 30 years ago & loved it then. It remains a cracking read, unspoiled by one or two typos!
Robert Grant
Dec 01, 2015 Robert Grant rated it really liked it
Excellent thriller and it still holds up well from a novel from the 1970s. Gritty and tense. Loved it. This was turned into film in 1980 and I think it was pretty good too.
Chuck
Mar 30, 2010 Chuck rated it it was amazing
A complex story beginning in Italy during WWII of greed and
power brokering that climaxes in Atlanta on police detective
Sharky's turf.
stan
Apr 26, 2014 stan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic book one of the best ever. A real American cop novel no question to who the hero's and villains are absolutely wonderful no hesitation 5 Stars
Fangirl
Dec 07, 2009 Fangirl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and I loved the movie.
Jill Mcnaughton
Jill Mcnaughton rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2014
Ivo
Ivo rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2013
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Basil Tydings
Basil Tydings rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2014
Joe Trimarchi
Joe Trimarchi rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2013
proto
proto rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2010
Simon Swift
Simon Swift rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2011
Ron Gilmette
Ron Gilmette rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2013
Khris Peter
Khris Peter rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2014
Joanne Hall
Joanne Hall rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2014
Al
Al rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2015
Tim
Tim rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2010
Beth
Beth rated it it was ok
Aug 28, 2015
Ashok Banker
Ashok Banker rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2015
Azkate
Azkate rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2013
Philip Calvert
Philip Calvert rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2015
Cathia
Cathia rated it it was ok
Apr 17, 2008
Alain Chappaz
Alain Chappaz rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2014
Robert Wilson
Robert Wilson rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2016
  • Outer Perimeter
  • Cheat the Hangman
  • The Reckoning
  • Dead White
  • Crucified  (Special X, #13)
  • Systemic Shock
  • Planet of No Return
  • Ghost Dance
  • Hunter's Moon
  • The Gilded Seal (Tom Kirk, #3)
  • Turncoat
  • Последният Асеновец (Боянският майстор) (Асеневци # 4)
  • Atlantic Fury
  • The Shekinah Legacy (Charlotte Ansari, #1)
  • Sweepers
  • Till Death Do Us Part (Dr. Gideon Fell, #15)
  • The Syndic
  • Thrice Upon a Time
William Diehl was an American novelist and photojournalist.

Diehl was fifty years old and already a successful photographer and journalist when he decided to begin a writing career. His first novel, Sharky's Machine, which became a movie by the same name was directed by and starred Burt Reynolds. Diehl saw the movie shot on location in and around his hometown of Atlanta, Georgia.

More about William Diehl...