Start by marking “Uzumaki, Volume 3 ” as Want to Read:
Uzumaki, Volume 3

Uzumaki, Volume 3 (Uzumaki #3)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  2,571 ratings  ·  116 reviews

With their town devastated by titanic hurricanes, the citizens of the spiral-haunted town of Kurôzu-cho--including Shuichi, Kirie and her family--find themselves cut off from the outside world. Reporters and rescue teams cross the mountain range into Kurôzu-cho only to find themselves unable to leave. Trapped inside the cursed ruins, the desperate survivors struggle and hu
Paperback, 2nd edition, 264 pages
Published February 12th 2008 by VIZ Media LLC (first published November 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Uzumaki, Volume 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uzumaki, Volume 3

Ash
May 20, 2013 Ash rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No ONE (Unless you are addicted to SPIRALS)
Recommended to Ash by: Aqeel
Shelves: read-manga
Well....... WTH was the book about???? :S
thinking, trying to remember...................................... oh SPIRALS and what else?? thinking... OH I KNOW SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS etc.
I'm just sitting wondering what to say about it. I guess I will just nag.
SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS AND SPIRALS
THIS SERIES WASTED maybe 5 HOURS OF MY LIFE
SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS AND SPIRALS
I have NO IDEA FROM WHAT PART OF BRAIN THIS S
David
Oh. My. Gawd.

HOW is this NOT an american movie yet??? (I see there IS a Japanese interpretation, but haven't been able to locate a copy- but like "The Ring" (Ringu) and "The Grudge" before it... this has AMAZING pottential for an American Horror Movie...

REAL Horror, not that blood-n-guts stuff they pass off as 'horror' nowdays...

This is the story of a village. A village infected with SPIRALS.

Oh sure. Go ahead. Chuckle.

Go, "yeah... AND?"

But really.

Think about it.

...what happens when something as
Dani
I feel like this was the worst volume in the series. What was that ending, really?

I liked that the series became less episodic and more like a coherent story in this volume--finally people seemed to be reacting like normal human beings, actually seeming to remember, "Oh yeah, everyone's dying, aren't they?" The return of snail people grates at me because, come on guys, nobody mentioned a snail epidemic since that chapter! If people were still turning into snails, people would hear about it! With
Greg Heath
[Note: This review is intended to cover all 3 volumes of the book, but I'll eventually get around to doing separate write-ups for the individual volumes.]

Junji Ito's "Uzumaki" is a brutally terrifying read that somehow manages to walk that fine line between the kind of creeping, disquieting horror associated with J-Horror films and the go-for-the-throat shock value that the grotesque American monster movies typically possess. The reason I'm making movie comparisons here is not only because, of c
Alex
It's actually been nearly 18 months since I read volume two. I think that subconsciously I must have been avoiding reading the third and perhaps my subconscious - on this particular occasion - was being very sensible. These volumes contain some of the most twisted and disgusting examples of horror I think I can recall and reading them, at whatever time of day, has made my skin crawl and I've started to feel a little nauseous (OK, slight exaggeration but you do get the idea. Seriously - *shudders ...more
Clay Haase
Review brought by Geekly Review

Usually, and as opposed to horror movies, I am quite cynical of the power of comics to truly terrify the reader. Though there are good and bad works in every medium, I never really have found myself really creeped out when reading something of this genre. I have certainly found good stories with a creepy atmosphere, but nothing truly memorable. So when I purchased Junji Ito’s Uzumaki I didn’t really expect anything in particular, and certainly nothing memorable.
Sofia Marques
Junji Ito is my all-time favorite horror mangaka. The way he delivers us this alternate horror, a twisted, mind-blowing horror that no one would ever thought of, is genius. Uzumaki is probably one of the most hard to understand mangas I ever read, and it literally blew my mind at some points. After reading all the 3 volumes, I was sold to Junji Ito's style and writing: it's from another world, almost, and it's refreshing. It's different and has that horror element that still surprises people.

The
Charles Dee Mitchell
Things have gone from bad to worse in the fog-bound Kurozu-cho, the Japanese city cursed by the Spiral -- yes that seemingly inoffensive pattern that is literally twisting the lives of these unfortunate citizens all out of shape. A sense that something is wrong in Kurozu-cho has reached the outside world, but aid workers are either caught up in whirlwinds or sunk in maelstroms. Those that make it through find themselves trapped as well.

This is Vol. 3 of Ito's manga. I read the first volume and c
Orrin Grey
The third and final volume of Uzumaki is the one that feels most like a continuous narrative. After the brilliant opening story "The House," the episodic nature of the chapters ends and the final chapters of the book tell one cohesive story. Unfortunately, this volume also contains the closest thing to a misstep that the series ever took for me, with the first few chapters concerning the twisters in the town. Happily, it more than makes up for it shortly thereafter, as people begin trying to esc ...more
Ed
Gustav Murnau gave his legendary film "Nosferatu" the elegant subtitle "eine Symphonie des Grauens" - a Symphony of Horror - referencing his own tight control over the filming process, and the excellent blending in that film of the great traditions of the classic scary story.

Junji Ito's "Uzumaki" cannot be called a Symphony, but a Rondo - a repetition of variations on a theme. Here, in the closing as everywhere else, Ito utilises the techniques of great horror as stipulated by Todorov's essay o
Hueyyun
One of the scariest shit I ever read. I had nightmares for a week, and this manga only amplified my fear of snails. I think the creep factor of this manga is not the mangaka's grotesque drawing but the psychological underlying and sublime fear residing underneath all that madness. It feels like the mangaka is questioning and exploring the darker side to human nature. And even though the story is horrifyingly grotesque and frightening, the madness and the obsession each character and the town has ...more
Leila Anani
Robert
Sebuah manga yang mengerikan... suspense thriller! Kirie, seorang gadis cantik, mempunyai seorang pacar yang baik, hidup dalam keluarga kecil yang bahagia, dan tinggal di kota kecil yang tenang. Tetapi mendadak semuanya berubah menjadi aneh... sangat aneh, bahkan terlalu aneh! Dimulai dari si ayah pacarnya yang seakan terhipnotis menatap cangkang spiral seekor siput, seperti virus yang terus menyebar, seluruh kota akhirnya terkena teror kutukan spiral...

Ini sebuah manga yang luar biasa, menyajik
Robb Bridson
This volume is a bit different from the others in that it starts tying things together. Up to this point, the chapters are more like stand-alone stories with a recurring theme, and now we move along to solving the mystery of the spiral curse. The last few chapters make up a Lovecraftian apocalypse, with the Kirie and Surichi trapped in the town with its weird survivors and new physics, searching for Kirie's parents and learning weird alien? secrets no one should have to learn.

A lot of sick, twis
Marcel
The final anthology is also the most narrative. The town has descended into an inescapable abyss of disgusting macabre, cut off completely from the outside world. Its buildings slowly merge and the town goes into a spiral shape, alluding to a previous occurrence of this horror when strange wooden bungalows that had always existed in town fall naturally into a spiral form when construction of them expands. The spiral shape of the town now emanates an evil aura, its people disfigured in various wa ...more
Katherine
A very lackluster ending to one of the most intriguing series I've ever had the pleasure of reading. While the storytelling and illustrations are still some of the best I've ever come across when it comes to manga, I was somewhat disappointed with the way the writer chose to end the tale. I appreciate a short 3-book series. It was one of the quickest reads I've ever done, and each turn of the page was just as interesting and freakishly surprising as the one before it. I wish some of the elements ...more
Ana
3.7 stars because the ending was just dumb.
I loved "The Lost Chapter", though. Very interesting and creepy.
Jason
See reviews for vols. 1 and 2 and also: I can't imagine this ending any differently or any better. Being relatively new to Japanese horror, I find the differences between Japanese and American horror fascinating. American horror is about one man or one man and his friends battling alone against the forces of evil and Japanese horror seems to be more about coping in the face of powers that are overwhelmingly greater than any of the individuals involved. Evil is never vanquished; it is escaped or ...more
Rucker Manley
Junji Ito finishes strong in the third volume of Uzumaki. While the second, third, and fourth acts (I'm looking at this from Shakespearean structure) floundered and became repetitive, the third package finishes it off well with the only ending we could get here.

I wonder how much Uzumaki was the inspiration for Amigara Fault, or vice-versa. It becomes clear, here, though, that the man knows how to package an ending. His philosophy of story, a winning one, shines through here.
Luke
This, the final volume of Junji Ito's coiling narrative, is perhaps the most consistent, storywise. It's just a shame it's also the least satisfying.

The previous two collections shocked, either from the gore or the nerve-jangling weirdness. This one shocks to a certain extent, but it also rides over into silliness territory. That whole whirlwind gang thread? The bullying children? Oh, come on. This lacks the deep, exposed-nerve blast of what? which has characterised the series.

Where the rest o
Robert Rohwer
A small Japanese town experiences a series of horrifying events, all related in same way to spirals. Yeah, it sounds stupid, and in a way it is. That being said, I found I LOVED this series! Incredibly horrifying, sometimes cheesy, but always suspenseful and intense. Junji Ito's images are perfectly grotesque - many will still with me for the rest of my life! If you are big fan of horror, this is an absolute MUST-READ!!!
Danielle
I will never look at escargot the same EVER again!! Yerg!

That said, I do think Shuichi is a cutie... at least before the start of his mental breakdown. Considering what's happened to him throughout the series, it's no real surprise the grasp he had on his sanity started slipping.

Also, I'm surprised Kirie didn't have MASSIVE nightmares after all she'd witnessed! The incident at the hospital? Jack-In-The-Box?!?!? O_o
I_Choose_Art
Ok. I read this book at my camp. And I was scared out of my mind. The author seems like he put a whole rack of effort communicating with the illustrator to bring out the essence of the story. Like the entire community becomes paralyzed with this spiral of smoke that has come from a tower where people are cremated. This is a must read book series!
Jesse Bullington
Phenomenal ending to the series, and one that never directly states its possible quantum mechanical connections. Is all of history a spiral resulting from one fateful atom swerving, setting a new trajectory for...everything? Ito never overstates, instead focusing on cosmic weirdness. Love that guy...
J-Man
Ja ne mogu dovoljno da izrazim svoje oduševljenje genijalnošću ovog stripa. Ko voli nadrealni horor koji kao da je izašao iz nekog snoviđenja, pritom obojenog začudnošću koja je svojstvena samo Japancima, nek odmah nabavi ovo odlično Darkvudovo izdanje ili makar sken sa Interneta.
Gurra
Fantastiskt innovativ skräck, Ito berättar saker som överraskar och som jag inte hade tänkt på att jag ville höra. Stiligt att han lyckas hålla spiral temat över alla tre böcker utan att det känns krystat.
Teckningarna kompletterar storyn väldigt väl och adderar ruggighetsfaktor.
Richard
The final book in the trilogy of greatest nonsence horror ever, and it end's like a genius in the most amazing way. Most people I talk to seem to hate the ending, and there's no way i'd spoil it for you. Well....That means I can't really talk about it. Read it and make your own mind up.
Nyie Rombeng
(vol 3 more thirilling than vol 1 & 2,of course!)
spiral,spiral,spiral.....spiral dimana-mana:p
junji ito dapat ide brilian yang sederhana ini dari mana ya?:)
jika para readers tidak merasa takut dalam manga ini,coba ke filmnya dech! pasti merinding dan deg-deg an!
Paul Beimers
Jan 10, 2014 Paul Beimers rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who: wish to see this series through to the end.
A fairly lackluster conclusion to this incredibly weird saga. Much of the horror that made Volume Two so worthwhile is missing here, and the result is a finale that wraps things up in a somewhat satisfying manner, but isn't much fun to experience.

The chapters are more streamlined than those found in the previous two installments, focusing on the primary characters' attempts to escape from the town. Events continue to be as bizarre and preposterous as before, and there are some lurid images to gi
Kasey Jane
Nobody does horror manga like Junji Ito.

This story is the tale of a seaside town cursed by a spiral. As time progresses more and more of the town falls under the spiral's sway, which manifests in shocking and grotesque ways.
  • The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 2 (Drifting Classroom)
  • Parasyte, Volume 1
  • The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service 1 (The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, #1)
  • MW
  • Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 2: Surprise Party (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #2)
  • Mr. Arashi's Amazing Freak Show
Junji Itō Born in Gifu Prefecture in 1963, he was inspired from a young age by his older sister's drawing and Kazuo Umezu's comics and thus took an interest in drawing horror comics himself. Nevertheless, upon graduation he trained as a dental technician, and until the early 1990s he juggled his dental career with his increasingly successful hobby — even after being selected as the winner of the p ...more
More about Junji Ito...