Start by marking “Uzumaki, Volume 3 ” as Want to Read:
Uzumaki, Volume 3

Uzumaki, Volume 3 (Uzumaki (español) #3)

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,325 Ratings  ·  165 Reviews
Kurozu-cho, a fogbound town on the coast of Japan, is haunted by a recurring pattern: a spiral manifesting itself in increasingly terrifying ways. In this third and final volume, the town is cut off from the outside by devastating hurricanes. Kirie, her boyfriend Shuichi, and the other desperate survivors must face the impending horror.
Paperback, 2nd edition, 264 pages
Published February 12th 2008 by VIZ Media LLC (first published September 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Uzumaki, Volume 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uzumaki, Volume 3

Mario
Oct 11, 2015 Mario rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whoa... and I thought first two volumes were crazy. This one takes crazy to a whole new level.

But anyway, a great ending to a really great series. If you're into creepy and unique stories, I would definitely recommend picking up this one, and hopefully, you'll like it just as much as I did.
Brad
I'm of two minds on this volume. The truly horrific increase was awesome, and I loved how utterly fucked the whole town was.

And then, I also really enjoyed the last issue. These are two different likes. I have to separate them for my own enjoyment.

I would have been perfectly happy with it ending on number 19. It was dark, crazy, and had that last little lilt of joy in the very last frame. So sweet in an utterly horrific way.

And then number 20 comes around and turns it all into a (view spoiler)
Ash
May 20, 2013 Ash rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No ONE (Unless you are addicted to SPIRALS)
Recommended to Ash by: Aqeel
Shelves: read-manga
Well....... WTH was the book about???? :S
thinking, trying to remember...................................... oh SPIRALS and what else?? thinking... OH I KNOW SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS etc.
I'm just sitting wondering what to say about it. I guess I will just nag.
SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS AND SPIRALS
THIS SERIES WASTED maybe 5 HOURS OF MY LIFE
SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS SPIRALS AND SPIRALS
I have NO IDEA FROM WHAT PART OF BRAIN THIS S
Dani
Nov 28, 2012 Dani rated it liked it
I feel like this was the worst volume in the series. What was that ending, really?

I liked that the series became less episodic and more like a coherent story in this volume--finally people seemed to be reacting like normal human beings, actually seeming to remember, "Oh yeah, everyone's dying, aren't they?" The return of snail people grates at me because, come on guys, nobody mentioned a snail epidemic since that chapter! If people were still turning into snails, people would hear about it! With
David
May 20, 2012 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh. My. Gawd.

HOW is this NOT an american movie yet??? (I see there IS a Japanese interpretation, but haven't been able to locate a copy- but like "The Ring" (Ringu) and "The Grudge" before it... this has AMAZING pottential for an American Horror Movie...

REAL Horror, not that blood-n-guts stuff they pass off as 'horror' nowdays...

This is the story of a village. A village infected with SPIRALS.

Oh sure. Go ahead. Chuckle.

Go, "yeah... AND?"

But really.

Think about it.

...what happens when something as
Caro M.
Sep 05, 2015 Caro M. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, 2015-reads
Ok this one was equally icky and creepy, and I think sometimes that Japanese writers get to the most twisted ideas in the world of horror. So when finishing some creepy story you can be sure that somewhere behind the scene there's this Japanese guy giggling like mad.
Greg Heath
Nov 02, 2010 Greg Heath rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
[Note: This review is intended to cover all 3 volumes of the book, but I'll eventually get around to doing separate write-ups for the individual volumes.]

Junji Ito's "Uzumaki" is a brutally terrifying read that somehow manages to walk that fine line between the kind of creeping, disquieting horror associated with J-Horror films and the go-for-the-throat shock value that the grotesque American monster movies typically possess. The reason I'm making movie comparisons here is not only because, of c
Alex
Jul 14, 2013 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, horror
It's actually been nearly 18 months since I read volume two. I think that subconsciously I must have been avoiding reading the third and perhaps my subconscious - on this particular occasion - was being very sensible. These volumes contain some of the most twisted and disgusting examples of horror I think I can recall and reading them, at whatever time of day, has made my skin crawl and I've started to feel a little nauseous (OK, slight exaggeration but you do get the idea. Seriously - *shudders ...more
Knjiski_Moljac
Dec 10, 2015 Knjiski_Moljac rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Rezenzija na blogu.
Robb
Uzumaki, Volume 3 by Junji Ito Review
Rating: 2/5

Uzumaki, Volume 3 is a passable conclusion to this disturbing manga series. After all the shit that went down in the second volume, I was expecting a lot more from this. You could say that I was disappointed, actually. The things that I have enjoyed and the things that I was disappointed with in the 1st and 2nd volume actually switched by the 3rd one. The story actually moved. After two volumes of disjointed and messy violent, graphic panels, the p
Kyle Warner
Sep 07, 2015 Kyle Warner rated it it was amazing
Uzumaki is INSANE. Just so damn weird and nasty and OH NO DON'T DO THAT THING, HOLY CRAP YOU DID THAT THING!!

Okay so, Uzumaki is a Japanese horror manga series about a town infected by the spiral. Why spirals? Well, sometimes when you take something that isn't naturally scary and then twist it beyond reason it becomes more disturbing than any monster or serial killer. So yeah, spirals -- whirlpools, tornadoes, snail shells, hurricanes, plant-life, the inner ear -- any and all of these things hav
Clay Haase
Aug 25, 2014 Clay Haase rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review brought by Geekly Review

Usually, and as opposed to horror movies, I am quite cynical of the power of comics to truly terrify the reader. Though there are good and bad works in every medium, I never really have found myself really creeped out when reading something of this genre. I have certainly found good stories with a creepy atmosphere, but nothing truly memorable. So when I purchased Junji Ito’s Uzumaki I didn’t really expect anything in particular, and certainly nothing memorable.
Charles Dee Mitchell
Things have gone from bad to worse in the fog-bound Kurozu-cho, the Japanese city cursed by the Spiral -- yes that seemingly inoffensive pattern that is literally twisting the lives of these unfortunate citizens all out of shape. A sense that something is wrong in Kurozu-cho has reached the outside world, but aid workers are either caught up in whirlwinds or sunk in maelstroms. Those that make it through find themselves trapped as well.

This is Vol. 3 of Ito's manga. I read the first volume and c
Orrin Grey
Jul 27, 2011 Orrin Grey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, favorites
The third and final volume of Uzumaki is the one that feels most like a continuous narrative. After the brilliant opening story "The House," the episodic nature of the chapters ends and the final chapters of the book tell one cohesive story. Unfortunately, this volume also contains the closest thing to a misstep that the series ever took for me, with the first few chapters concerning the twisters in the town. Happily, it more than makes up for it shortly thereafter, as people begin trying to esc ...more
Ed
May 04, 2013 Ed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gustav Murnau gave his legendary film "Nosferatu" the elegant subtitle "eine Symphonie des Grauens" - a Symphony of Horror - referencing his own tight control over the filming process, and the excellent blending in that film of the great traditions of the classic scary story.

Junji Ito's "Uzumaki" cannot be called a Symphony, but a Rondo - a repetition of variations on a theme. Here, in the closing as everywhere else, Ito utilises the techniques of great horror as stipulated by Todorov's essay o
Hueyyun
Oct 16, 2010 Hueyyun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
One of the scariest shit I ever read. I had nightmares for a week, and this manga only amplified my fear of snails. I think the creep factor of this manga is not the mangaka's grotesque drawing but the psychological underlying and sublime fear residing underneath all that madness. It feels like the mangaka is questioning and exploring the darker side to human nature. And even though the story is horrifyingly grotesque and frightening, the madness and the obsession each character and the town has ...more
Leila Anani
Feb 04, 2016 Leila Anani rated it really liked it
Robert
Jul 04, 2009 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-manga
Sebuah manga yang mengerikan... suspense thriller! Kirie, seorang gadis cantik, mempunyai seorang pacar yang baik, hidup dalam keluarga kecil yang bahagia, dan tinggal di kota kecil yang tenang. Tetapi mendadak semuanya berubah menjadi aneh... sangat aneh, bahkan terlalu aneh! Dimulai dari si ayah pacarnya yang seakan terhipnotis menatap cangkang spiral seekor siput, seperti virus yang terus menyebar, seluruh kota akhirnya terkena teror kutukan spiral...

Ini sebuah manga yang luar biasa, menyajik
Roberta
Dec 28, 2015 Roberta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is the end of the trilogy and it will not disappoint you. People degenerate and I wonder why our protagonists are not affected by the spiral. I would have liked to know more about it, that's the only objection I have about the story.
The story itself is creepy and gross and uncomfortable, as promised in various synopsis. I loved it, I highly recommend it if you're looking for a good horror story.
Robb Bridson
Oct 06, 2013 Robb Bridson rated it it was amazing
This volume is a bit different from the others in that it starts tying things together. Up to this point, the chapters are more like stand-alone stories with a recurring theme, and now we move along to solving the mystery of the spiral curse. The last few chapters make up a Lovecraftian apocalypse, with the Kirie and Surichi trapped in the town with its weird survivors and new physics, searching for Kirie's parents and learning weird alien? secrets no one should have to learn.

A lot of sick, twis
নাজমুল হাসান
The finale does reveal the secret behind all the haunting created by spiral. Still it was kinda underwhelming in horror sector compared to the previous volumes. This time the author focuses more on the human traits and evil within human. The greed , the lust, the hunger to survive all these represented in a raw manner. And that is kind of brutal and not for the faint of hearts.
Marcel
Mar 20, 2010 Marcel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: j-horror-manga
The final anthology is also the most narrative. The town has descended into an inescapable abyss of disgusting macabre, cut off completely from the outside world. Its buildings slowly merge and the town goes into a spiral shape, alluding to a previous occurrence of this horror when strange wooden bungalows that had always existed in town fall naturally into a spiral form when construction of them expands. The spiral shape of the town now emanates an evil aura, its people disfigured in various wa ...more
Jackson
Mar 25, 2016 Jackson rated it liked it
A satisfying conclusion to the trilogy. Shit really goes off the rails here, making it better than volume 2, which was in sort of a holding pattern. Shock panels aren't as good as the first volume. A tightly coiled story arc that gets pretty twisted towards the end.
Katherine
Feb 24, 2014 Katherine rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
A very lackluster ending to one of the most intriguing series I've ever had the pleasure of reading. While the storytelling and illustrations are still some of the best I've ever come across when it comes to manga, I was somewhat disappointed with the way the writer chose to end the tale. I appreciate a short 3-book series. It was one of the quickest reads I've ever done, and each turn of the page was just as interesting and freakishly surprising as the one before it. I wish some of the elements ...more
Paula ★Ackerman Jaeger★
Confuso el motivo del espiral pero en fin, cumplió su objetivo de impactar y sacar el hambre.
Jason
See reviews for vols. 1 and 2 and also: I can't imagine this ending any differently or any better. Being relatively new to Japanese horror, I find the differences between Japanese and American horror fascinating. American horror is about one man or one man and his friends battling alone against the forces of evil and Japanese horror seems to be more about coping in the face of powers that are overwhelmingly greater than any of the individuals involved. Evil is never vanquished; it is escaped or ...more
Excedente
Apr 09, 2016 Excedente rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[Ce n'est pas la première fois que je lis un manga d'horreur mais c'est le premier qui me fait une telle impression... Cet histoire est constituée de 3 tomes qui ont été dessiné par Junji Ito. Le titre de ce manga "Uzumaki" signifie "vortex" ou "spirale" en français. Je l'ai lu en scan en anglais, je ne pourrais donc pas vous parler de la qualité de l'édition.

Pour résumer, on suit l'histoire d'une adolescente, Kirie, vivant près d'une petite ville côtière de Kurouzu. Son petit ami, Suichi, trou
Lucy
My Rating: 2.5 (But I rounded up)
(Note: I didn't enjoy this book as much as the first two volumes. I was irritated with the chapters that dealt with the town's gangs.)

Looking back, I really enjoyed this series as a whole (even though there were plenty of chapters that I didn't care for.) What I love most about the Uzumaki books are how creative and outlandish they were. It takes a certain type of mind to be able to create a story like this (death by spirals). Not only was Uzumaki a great story b
Rucker Manley
Jun 11, 2013 Rucker Manley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, manga
Junji Ito finishes strong in the third volume of Uzumaki. While the second, third, and fourth acts (I'm looking at this from Shakespearean structure) floundered and became repetitive, the third package finishes it off well with the only ending we could get here.

I wonder how much Uzumaki was the inspiration for Amigara Fault, or vice-versa. It becomes clear, here, though, that the man knows how to package an ending. His philosophy of story, a winning one, shines through here.
Luke
Apr 28, 2015 Luke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This, the final volume of Junji Ito's coiling narrative, is perhaps the most consistent, storywise. It's just a shame it's also the least satisfying.

The previous two collections shocked, either from the gore or the nerve-jangling weirdness. This one shocks to a certain extent, but it also rides over into silliness territory. That whole whirlwind gang thread? The bullying children? Oh, come on. This lacks the deep, exposed-nerve blast of what? which has characterised the series.

Where the rest o
  • The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 2 (Drifting Classroom)
  • Parasyte, Volume 1
  • The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, Volume 1
  • Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 10: Picnic (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #10)
  • Mr. Arashi's Amazing Freak Show
  • Gantz/8
Junji Itō (伊藤 潤二) Born in Gifu Prefecture in 1963, he was inspired from a young age by his older sister's drawing and Kazuo Umezu's comics and thus took an interest in drawing horror comics himself. Nevertheless, upon graduation he trained as a dental technician, and until the early 1990s he juggled his dental career with his increasingly successful hobby — even after being selected as the winner ...more
More about Junji Ito...

Uzumaki (español) (6 books)
  • Uzumaki, Vol. 1