Start by marking “The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, May/June 2013” as Want to Read:
The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, May/June 2013

The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, May/June 2013 (The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction #707)

Contents:

"Canticle of the Beasts" by Bruce McAllister

SHORT STORIES
"By the Light of the Electronic Moon" by Angelica Godorischer
"Directions for Crossing Troll Bridge" by A
Published May 1st 2013 by Spilogale, Inc.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, May/June 2013

Daniel
Jun 07, 2013 Daniel rated it really liked it
- "Grizzled Veterans of Many and Much", by Robert Reed - One of two stories in this issue dealing with the theme of living beyond current human life spans. In this case the method appears more novel to my reading experience, and I also found the writing here to be more touching. Usually a good Reed story entertains with not much more for me, but this stood out with elements that went deeper, such as the sense of living in a changed world of new technologies that one isn't eager to embrace for ...more
Samuel Lubell
Dec 15, 2013 Samuel Lubell rated it really liked it
Shelves: magazines
This is a solid issue with no real duds.

"Grizzled Veterans of Many and Much" is an interesting take on transcendence in that having your brain hooked up to a computer cooks the brain in a matter of days but subjectively, it seems like decades. I liked it up to the ending which I thought made no sense as the main character sets up a simulation of his family and then goes and kills himself to keep it running even though no one real observes it.

By the Light of the Electronic Moon is translated from
Meran
As per usual, my favorite magazine comes through with interesting and fun new stories for the issue.

Grizzled Veterans of Many and Much by Robert Reed- I think Reed may be my favorite short fiction writer. This story is about a direction the human race goes, with technology, resulting in an apocalypse of a kind. The narrator provides the solution. - 5 stars

By the Light of the Electronic Moon by Angelica Gorodischer- Very entertaining story of a sexual misadventure. - 5 stars

Changes by Rand B. Lee
M
Aug 23, 2013 M rated it really liked it
An interesting mix of stories this time around. Changes alone is enough to make this an excellent issue, and I hope there will be something continuing the storyline in a future issue. The setting of an Earth wracked by reality-altering storms was interesting, and the dog characters were quite well written. Wormwood was okay. I felt like the SF aspects weren't explored quite enough. Grizzled Veterans wasn't great and Woman in the Moon was a total waste of space. The Bluehole was fairly good, ...more
Sarah Tilsley
I tried this on a 30 day free subscription trial of this magazine and I wasn't disappointed. It contains quite a few short stories. Some of them were really good. If you are a fan of science fiction and fantasy genre's and like reading norvellas and short stories then this is the magazine for you.
Shawn Camp
Feb 04, 2014 Shawn Camp rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2013, magazine
If it wasnt for a couple of weak stories this would be a strong issue, but it has some stellar stories such as Wormwood, Mood Room, Bluehole, and Systems of Romance. But they werent enough to convince me to give up the fourth star this time out.
David Lancaster
Jun 09, 2013 David Lancaster rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, f-sf-mag, sci-fi
For me, this was a very 'dark' issue. From the cover, to a couple of the stories inside, I just couldn't get into it. I hope the next issue proves much better.
George Heintzelman
Jan 10, 2016 George Heintzelman rated it did not like it
Shelves: owned
Sad to say, I didn't really enjoy any of the stories this issue. A couple were okay, best among them probably Reed's "Grizzled Veterans of Many and Much", but it was a really forgettable issue.
Elihu
Elihu rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2014
Rand Lee
Jul 09, 2014 Rand Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Ariel Hudnall
Ariel Hudnall rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2013
Paul Roberts
Paul Roberts rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2013
Kirsty
Aug 03, 2013 Kirsty rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this issue, it had me eagerly turning the pages. A really good strong issue.
Rex Hughes
Rex Hughes rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2013
Nikki
Nikki rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2014
Laura rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2013
Shamus Mcgillicuddy
Shamus Mcgillicuddy rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2013
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2015
Deborah Replogle
Deborah Replogle rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2014
Shawn
Shawn rated it it was ok
Jun 30, 2013
Jeffrey Milloy
Jeffrey Milloy rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2015
Tad Kilgore
Tad Kilgore rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2015
G33z3r
G33z3r rated it liked it
May 23, 2013
Nathan Hall
Nathan Hall rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2013
Trish Thompson
Trish Thompson rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2015
Robert Arl
Robert Arl rated it really liked it
May 11, 2013
Brandon Hawkins
Brandon Hawkins rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2014
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
May 13, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2013
Terri
My favorites were the novelets 'The Bluehole' and 'Changes' and the short story 'Doing Emily'

The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction (1 - 10 of 268 books)
  • The Magazine of Fantasy, Fall 1949
  • The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, Winter-Spring 1950
  • The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, Summer 1950
  • The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, Fall 1950
  • The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, December 1950
  • The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, February 1951
  • The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, April 1951 (Vol 2, #2)
  • The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, June 1951 (Vol 2, #3)
  • The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, August 1951 (Vol 2, #4)
  • The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, October 1951 (Vol 2, #5)