Start by marking “Mississippi: An American Journey” as Want to Read:
Mississippi: An American Journey

Mississippi: An American Journey

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  10 reviews
To most Americans, Mississippi is not a state but a scar, the place where segregation took its ugliest form and struck most savagely at its challengers. But to many Americans, Mississippi is also home. And it is this paradox, with all its overtones of history and heartache, that Anthony Walton—whose parents escaped Mississippi for the relative civility of the Midwest—expl ...more
Published January 28th 1997 by Vintage (first published February 6th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Mississippi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mississippi

Ian Mullet
Jul 19, 2007 Ian Mullet rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people into civil rights
a mixture between a history of the civil rights movement in mississippi and one man's personal narrative of his return to his family's home state after growing up in chicago, it could have been a disaster, but it turned out to be quite good. it would have a chapter on medgar evers followed by one where the guy was just talking to his aunt and uncle about how the civil rights movement changed (or didn't change) their lives. that juxtaposition worked quite nicely. overall, not a bad book, and mayb ...more
Michael
This book is mostly about race relations in Mississippi and it definitely challenged me in terms of my thinking about relations in the state. I found myself thinking about the book often when I wasn't reading it, particularly in relation to current events. It's a book I'll probably be thinking about for a long while.
Samantha Fox
This book is a must-read for anyone who lives in or is from Mississippi. It will make you recognize your role in Mississippi culture, whether you're white or black, rich, poor, or middle class.
Shirley
A personal exploration of what life was like for family members and elders in Mississippi, from the time of European settlement, up to 1990. As a Canadian transplant living in the American South, Mr. Walton provided answers to things that had been troubling me and for which I sought understanding. An excellent compliment to more formal histories.
Ryan Kos
A very informative and thought provoking book about race relations in the United States. Read this for English, didn't hate it as much as most of my classmates did.
Janet
This is written by a sociologist, so the writing can get bogged down at points. But the subject matter is fascinating. Having not grown up during the 1960's, I was quite ignorant to what black/white relations were really like at that time. I added this in response to my adding Roll of Thunder to my page.
PQ
The end was good. That's it
Ms. Bentley
Highly recommend this book! Very interesting insights into the history of Mississippi and the relationship that heritage has with racial issues all over the country. I'm so glad I chose this book for my AP class!
John Jung
A worthwhile and insightful perspective showing how an African American from the north experiences the post-1960s Deep South.
Sruthi
oh my gahd I totes loved this book.
Queen Bookie
Queen Bookie is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Catherine  Mustread
Catherine Mustread marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Nancy Childers
Nancy Childers marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Robyn Erickson
Robyn Erickson marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Ulysses
Ulysses marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
carolina cook
carolina cook is currently reading it
Jan 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Vintage Book of African American Poetry Cricket Weather An Archaeological Survey of Triangle Flat, Puponga Farm Park Methods for Monitoring the Condition of Historic Places Patent Law Of Europe And The United Kingdom