Start by marking “Mississippi: An American Journey” as Want to Read:
Mississippi: An American Journey

Mississippi: An American Journey

3.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  116 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
To most Americans, Mississippi is not a state but a scar, the place where segregation took its ugliest form and struck most savagely at its challengers. But to many Americans, Mississippi is also home. And it is this paradox, with all its overtones of history and heartache, that Anthony Walton—whose parents escaped Mississippi for the relative civility of the Midwest—expl ...more
Published January 28th 1997 by Vintage (first published February 6th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Mississippi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mississippi

Ian Mullet
Jul 19, 2007 Ian Mullet rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people into civil rights
a mixture between a history of the civil rights movement in mississippi and one man's personal narrative of his return to his family's home state after growing up in chicago, it could have been a disaster, but it turned out to be quite good. it would have a chapter on medgar evers followed by one where the guy was just talking to his aunt and uncle about how the civil rights movement changed (or didn't change) their lives. that juxtaposition worked quite nicely. overall, not a bad book, and mayb ...more
Michael
Jan 14, 2014 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is mostly about race relations in Mississippi and it definitely challenged me in terms of my thinking about relations in the state. I found myself thinking about the book often when I wasn't reading it, particularly in relation to current events. It's a book I'll probably be thinking about for a long while.
Samantha Fox
Nov 16, 2012 Samantha Fox rated it it was amazing
This book is a must-read for anyone who lives in or is from Mississippi. It will make you recognize your role in Mississippi culture, whether you're white or black, rich, poor, or middle class.
Barb
Sep 28, 2015 Barb rated it really liked it
This book was written 20 years ago and one would hope that some things have changed but I fear not. My grandparents lived in Gulfport, MS so I spent many years in that state, but Gulfport may not be reflective of the rest of the state. But I have an Aunt and cousins that we visited in Jackson and Columbus and much of the book resonates with me from my preteen years in the '50's. Walton traces his family roots in MS which is pretty grim. But the book also takes you through much of the history of ...more
Pasqua Ruggiero
Aug 22, 2014 Pasqua Ruggiero rated it it was ok
The end was good. That's it
Annika
Aug 09, 2016 Annika rated it it was ok
There were some parts that were quite interesting/easy to get through, interesting interviews and stories, beautiful imagery. But during certain segments, I was falling asleep- at times it was too much like reading a history textbook. Overall, it did make me think more critically about the hardships African-Americans have endured through out US history, so from that perspective, it was certainly a worthwhile undertaking, even if it was challenging at times.
Shirley
A personal exploration of what life was like for family members and elders in Mississippi, from the time of European settlement, up to 1990. As a Canadian transplant living in the American South, Mr. Walton provided answers to things that had been troubling me and for which I sought understanding. An excellent compliment to more formal histories.
Ryan Kos
Aug 27, 2014 Ryan Kos rated it really liked it
A very informative and thought provoking book about race relations in the United States. Read this for English, didn't hate it as much as most of my classmates did.
Maci
Aug 12, 2016 Maci rated it did not like it
Shelves: school, read-in-2016
ugh. I wanted to curl up into a hole and die reading this book.

But believe me, it was indeed interesting and eye-opening, reading about these experiences that these people faced, but it was definitely not my cup of tea.

Also it didn't help that I had to cram it in, trying to finish reading it for a week before school starts. Yeah. Yikes.

And also, the fact that it is both a nonfiction [which I now realize/confirm, seeing the genre on goodreads, whoops.] and [at least for me] a school book made
Janet
Sep 23, 2008 Janet rated it liked it
This is written by a sociologist, so the writing can get bogged down at points. But the subject matter is fascinating. Having not grown up during the 1960's, I was quite ignorant to what black/white relations were really like at that time. I added this in response to my adding Roll of Thunder to my page.
Ms. Bentley
Highly recommend this book! Very interesting insights into the history of Mississippi and the relationship that heritage has with racial issues all over the country. I'm so glad I chose this book for my AP class!
John Jung
Jun 24, 2012 John Jung rated it it was amazing
A worthwhile and insightful perspective showing how an African American from the north experiences the post-1960s Deep South.
Sruthi
Aug 22, 2014 Sruthi rated it did not like it
oh my gahd I totes loved this book.
Matt Curtis
Matt Curtis rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2016
Zack Gold
Zack Gold is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2016
Cassy Lee
Cassy Lee rated it did not like it
Aug 29, 2016
Steve Sanders
Steve Sanders rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Becky
Becky added it
Aug 02, 2016
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
T.
T. marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
James
James marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Alix G
Alix G marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Robert Brunck
Robert Brunck marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Ross
Ross rated it liked it
May 20, 2016
Lesley
Lesley marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Julek
Julek is currently reading it
May 02, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Lisa Marcum
Lisa Marcum rated it did not like it
Apr 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Sacred Trash: The Lost and Found World of the Cairo Geniza
  • History in English Words
  • The Spirituals and the Blues
  • Wayfaring Strangers: The Musical Voyage from Scotland and Ulster to Appalachia
  • The Music of Black Americans: A History
  • Away Down South: A History of Southern Identity
  • Schlepping Through the Alps: My Search for Austria's Jewish Past with Its Last Wandering Shepherd
  • The Eternal Philistine
  • Noise: a Human History of Sound and Listening
  • Yentl's Revenge: The Next Wave of Jewish Feminism
  • Mr. Fortune's Maggot; and, The Salutation
  • The Christians and the Fall of Rome (Great Ideas)
  • The Land Where the Blues Began
  • The Promised Land
  • Soul Serenade: Rhythm, Blues & Coming of Age Through Vinyl
  • The Making of Late Antiquity
  • Inventing English: A Portable History of the Language
  • Black Culture and Black Consciousness: Afro-American Folk Thought from Slavery to Freedom