Start by marking “The Vampires (In Darkness We Must Abide, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Vampires (In Darkness We Must Abide, #5)

The Vampires (In Darkness We Must Abide Episodic Serial #5)

Episode 5: The Vampires

ebook
Published May 17th 2013 (first published May 14th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Vampires, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vampires

Toni
May 05, 2013 Toni rated it it was amazing
This review/read along discussion is also posted on My Book Addiction

Simply put: Episode 5 blew my freaking mind! I have read it several times already, and the shock factor hasn’t dwindled. The Vampires was the best episode of the five, and that’s saying a lot because every episode has been remarkable. Frater built me up with excitement, anticipation, and hope — that warm, fuzzy feeling that wraps itself around me whenever I read a blossoming love story — and then WHAM! I’m left with a gaping ho
Lori
Episode 5 is an epic episode. It's meaty and everything has built up to it. Needless to say that the previous episodes, even the deaths in episodes 1 & 2 where the calm before the storm that Rhiannon unleashes in this one!
Armando made a splash in episode 3, gives a gift in episode 4, and completely manages to fuck shit up in episode 5. But it's not just Armando being a douche, it's Roman, and Alisha, and all the other vampires. Trust me, things go to hell fast. So fast. If you think Armando
Mary
May 17, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, free-author
Season One is complete and definitely ended with a bang. Episode 5 is full of emotion and was the best so far. From Goodreads: "All is not well in the Socoli world. Vanora is on the cusp of adulthood and preparing to move way to attend college. Used to their sibling being their anchor to the mortal world, Roman and Alisha are already feeling adrift in their dark world. Meanwhile, the mysterious Armando, shrouded in all his secrets, draws ever closer to Vanora as her feelings for him deepen. Soon ...more
Eric Asher
May 27, 2013 Eric Asher rated it it was amazing
Speechless. Yes, I am speechless. Can I even say anything without spoilers? I think so. Let’s try. There is some great humor in this episode, and you need it to lighten the mood when things go dark. Roman’s proposed solution for dealing with Vanora’s future boyfriend is very entertaining.

Armando remains one of my favorite characters. It seems his loyalties have fallen in direct conflict with each other, and I am dying to see where it goes in season two. The hints about his master are nothing sh
Erin Hayes
Jun 01, 2013 Erin Hayes rated it it was amazing
I'm anxiously awaiting Season 2!!

In Darkness We Must Abide is arguably Rhiannon Frater’s most character-driven story. We have Vanora, who is one of my favorite characters to ever grace Ms. Frater's works - she's fun, she's sassy and she's someone I'd like to have as a friend. We have Armando, the conflicted vampire who also happens to be Vanora's crush. And we have her vampire brother and sister who are trying their best to appear fangless in a very dangerous world.

Without giving too much away (
Conny
Oct 06, 2014 Conny rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star-books
It's very hard to review this book for me.
I would give it 5 stars, but I did not, why?

There are some things in this book that I did not like.

The sexual scenes between Armando and Vanora are a little too muchfor my taste.

It could be done a little less (why mention every detail) could be a little more romantic.

It was a 5 star book, but those scenes make me go back to 4 stars.
I do not need to know what's going on 'between her legs' and how hard he is, seriously.

That's why I did not cry.
Probably wit
Darlene Ruiz
May 14, 2013 Darlene Ruiz rated it it was amazing
Finished this in record time. I really do love this series. I finished this episode while exercising on the stationary bike at the gym. I could't get off until I finished it! I was on the bike for 55 minutes! This episode was really intense and I loved the whole Halloween party scene.. OH MY GOD!! It was awesome! Loved it!!! I can't wait for the next installment and I cannot wait for my paperback version so I can read it non-stop AGAIN!!!
Andrea
May 24, 2013 Andrea rated it it was amazing
I don’t even know. Episode five has got to be the most emotional roller coaster ride and just full of shock and awe.

It starts out really happy and hopeful. Vanora just gets back from vacation with her uncle, aunt, and cousins. Vanora is 17 and you can tell, more so in this episode, that she has come into her own. She’s that little sister that enjoys torturing her older brother and the boy - vampire - that she has a crush on.

It’s almost as if the Socoli’s have reverted back to the family dynamic
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
I received this book from Rhiannon Frater in exchange for an honest review. I received no compensation.

If you have not read the previous 4 episodes in this serial, then please note that the review below may contain very slight spoilers.

AH! That is a scream that holds every emotion I’m feeling right now in it. There is the slightly excited squeal, the frustrated table flipping growl, and the pained gasp. Rhiannon should be proud of herself, because she some how managed to make me a veritable rain
Amy Fournier
May 15, 2013 Amy Fournier rated it it was amazing
This final episode of the first season totally blew me away!! I have now become incredibly invested in the story and all of the characters, so this one was quite a ride for me. This was fun, entertaining, sexy, terrifying, and also sad. Considering the length of these episodes, that's a lot of feels to go through in just one, but I did.

Vanora has been away with family for the summer, and is excited to return home to her brother and sister. The first person to greet her is none other than Armando
Rachel Tsoumbakos
May 25, 2013 Rachel Tsoumbakos rated it it was amazing
“Vanora, we are monsters with human faces and human hearts. The worst sort of hell, don’t you think?”

Yeah, it’s another great quote. Episode #5 is my favourite out of the whole season. I just found myself captivated by both the story and the author’s delightful prose.

The author hooks us in with the advent of cleverly woven family history that alludes to more plot developments. We also, FINALLY, get to meet the Master as well as a lot more of Armando – and that is a spectacular thing! *wink*

I fou
Lindsay
May 17, 2013 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
This is a magnificent conclusion to season 1. Simply epic. I'm just... speechless after reading this.

Full review is now up on the blog.

CRHEADER
John
May 29, 2013 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: supernatural
Absolutley Brilliant, another excellent book by a fantastic author, have loved Rhiannon's books ever since I read my first Frater book which was the First Days Trilogy, I read these books in the kindle format and this one was part 5.
Jessica
May 19, 2013 Jessica rated it it was amazing
I thought this was the best one yet. I lovw how they slaughter the human skum. it was very gruesome.
Aleera
May 06, 2016 Aleera rated it it was amazing

"You're not for me and I am not for you."

Loved it. It keeps getting better and better.
Camille
May 30, 2013 Camille rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-my-nook, 2013
Definitely the best of the serial so far. I'm ready for the next episode or season or whatever it's called. This kind of reminds me of that show Dark Shadows from years ago. Loved that show.
Lisa
May 19, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Omg!! I absolutely loved it!! Poor Vanora :( I felt so bad for her. I'm scared for her too & can't wait to see what else happened with Armando, his master, & Vanora. Great job Rhiannon :)
Michelle
May 19, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing
WOW! Review to come! :)
Alexia Purdy
Still haunting, it gets going pretty well on the gore factor in this episode, but it does take a while still, to get there. Vanora, now a mature young lady, is pretty much getting ready to leave to go to college and maybe lead a somewhat more normal life. How will her undead siblings Alisha and Roman fare without her and deal with it? It’s not looking good, especially since she has already spent an entire summer with her human side of the family. This let us see the vampire siblings slip further ...more
Terri
Nov 28, 2013 Terri rated it really liked it
The best one so far! It was twice as long as its predecessors to start with! But Vanora's growing up and this 'thing' with Armando is heating UP! As Vanora us maturing, becoming more in touch with her gifts, Roman and Alisha are perpetually fighting the darkness within, battling their new, primal and blood-thirsty inner natures.

Armando continues to war with his feelings for Vanora, ever reminding himself that he's only a pawn, ordered to set his master's plan in motion.

This one is suspenseful an
Donna
Donna rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2013
Gidget :)
Gidget :) rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2015
Kristin Smith
Kristin Smith rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2014
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2013
Tia
Tia rated it liked it
May 21, 2016
Latisharobert Gearhartlawson
Latisharobert Gearhartlawson rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2014
K.A. Last
K.A. Last rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Jenn
Jenn rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2014
Kcecil17
Kcecil17 rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2013
Carrie
Carrie rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Rhiannon Frater is the award-winning author of the As the World Dies zombie trilogy (Tor) as well as independent works such as The Last Bastion of the Living (declared the #1 Zombie Release of 2012 by Explorations Fantasy Blog and the #1 Zombie Novel of the Decade by B&N Book Blog).

She was born and raised in Texas where she currently resides with her husband and furry children (a.k.a pets).

S
More about Rhiannon Frater...

In Darkness We Must Abide Episodic Serial (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Death Comes Home (In Darkness We Must Abide, #1)
  • Death in the Shadows (In Darkness We Must Abide, #2)
  • The Arrival of Armando DeLeon (In Darkness We Must Abide, #3)
  • The Gift (In Darkness We Must Abide, #4)
  • Dire Warnings (In Darkness We Must Abide, #6)
  • Destruction (In Darkness We Must Abide, #7)
  • The Fallen King (In Darkness We Must Abide, #8)
  • The Purge (In Darkness We Must Abide, #9)
  • Betrayal (In Darkness We Must Abide #10)
  • Into the Temple of Shadows  (In Darkness We Must Abide, #11)