Start by marking “Dance For Me (Fenbrook Academy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dance For Me (Fenbrook Academy, #1)

Read Book

Dance For Me (Fenbrook Academy #1)

3.55  ·  Rating Details ·  1,363 Ratings  ·  178 Reviews
Natasha is one of the most promising ballet dancers at the prestigious Fenbrook Academy of Performing Arts and she’s just landed a life-changing audition. But no one knows the guilt she carries...or the damage it makes her inflict on herself when she’s alone.

Darrell is a multi-millionaire designer at 25. But past traumas have pushed him into isolation and the intense press
Published June 25th 2013 by Foster & Black New Adult (first published June 24th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Dance For Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dance For Me

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie

Natasha lives to dance, it is her entire life, it defines who she is. Dancing is the one thing that keeps her grounded and keeps her memories at bay. Until she sees Darrel and he turns her entire world upside down. Before Daniel the only thing that had the power to unravel her was remembering, but she's learnt to control the memories by doing something that no one would understand.

She wouldn't dare reveal herself to Darrel, if he new he'd leave her, and she'd lose the one person who's brought l
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
An author-requested book to review that I actually liked?!?! Be still my heart! Bravo to Helena Newbury for putting out a really impressive debut novel

"Dance For Me" was a wonderful addition to the YA genre. This book falls into a similar category as The Sea of Tranquility in my mind. Past horrors that are emotionally scarring? Check! Instant chemistry between two damaged individuals? Check! Angst up to wazoo? Double check! Despite the fact that this was an angst-fest, it never became annoying o
Amanda
 photo da3b031d345be1fa23a11bdd86be7717_zps5qkubftf.png
Items ticked off: 18

I more or less have one thing to say about Dance For Me. No, make that two. Say what you will of this book's plausibility, but in regards to the romance, I'm saying it's ridiculous. This is the heroine after seeing him. Not talking to him. Not meeting him. Literally seeing him from afar.
It had been two minutes and I felt like I hadn’t seen him in months.

This is the stalker hero after seeing the heroine.
Two hours later, I had a program that would grab the photo of anyone o
Poison Ivy
May 14, 2015 Poison Ivy rated it did not like it
There, I finished it. I'm sorry for the low rating dear author, I always feel bad knowing that someone put effort into writing the story and I end up not liking it.

I picked it up because I really wanted to read about ballet and I was intrigued with the fact that the guy made weapons, I haven't read anything like that before. Unfortunately it didn't work for me.

I take self-harming very seriously and I think people should talk and read about it, I always say that we fear the unknown. I wanted to
Paganalexandria
A copy of this book was given in exchange for a honest review

Natasha is a ballet student dealing with a traumatic past in the best way she knows how. Darrel is an design engineer who crashes her audition blindly looking for inspiration to study the movement of dancers for his latest project. Their eyes meet and so begins this epic story.

All I can say is "Wow" at this point. I have a soft spot for books that feature dancers; that's what caught me eye when seeing the review request in one of my gr
Crazy for Books (Stephanie)
***Reviewed the Boxed Set for the author, but bought this book previously, therefore adding review here.***

4 Ballerina Stars

Natasha has had a horrible guilt weighing on her for the past five years. The only way she can get through the day is by self-harming. She knows she should stop, but its the only thing that grounds her. Clarissa, her friend and roommate, is the only one who knows what she does to herself. Natasha is now attending the Fenbrook Academy, a Performing Arts College, where she an
Skye Burling-Briggs
***ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review***

I.NEEDED.THE.SECOND.BOOK.NOW.PLEASE!!

This was so beautifully written, it was distracting!!

I found myself time, and time again putting this book down to google videos of the moves!

Helena HAS to have been a dancer! Either that or this is one of, if not, the BEST researched novel I have ever, EVER, had the pleasure of reading.

For those that know me I read a book a night, this gem took me three, yes you read right, THREE days to finish
RomReader *Spoiler Giver*
Jul 14, 2013 RomReader *Spoiler Giver* rated it it was amazing
Shelves: new-adult
21yo ballet student agrees to dance privately for 24yo millionaire engineer Hero who’s hiring her to be his muse to finish his creation. His intense staring evokes her to dance freely. Their affair is intense & emotional with much left unspoken. Both agree to not talk about their pasts as they see the other struggle with it. But as they see each other’s scars neither can help but bring it up. What does their talking about their painful pasts do to their relationship?

I read this book in 2 ho
Zakirrah BookBlogger
Oct 11, 2013 Zakirrah BookBlogger rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-or-netgalley
4 Captivating heart breaking stars!!

2 Broken Tortured Souls
Drowning in guilt and anger
Holding on to a broken past

Can two broken souls heal each other?

This is the story of Natasha and Darrel.They are two different people, one rich and one poor, yet they have a lot in common. They both are hiding a hideous past that has scarred them for life.Can they move forward without letting their past drag them back?

Natasha is a ballet dancer its all she knows and its one of the ways she escapes. Ballet make
Angie
Feb 21, 2015 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: new-adult, read-2015
Dance For Me was a lot darker, but also a lot better than I had anticipated! It opens up with Natasha cutting. She feels like her world is off balance, and it's the one thing that steadies her. She's very careful about it though: alcohol wipes, fresh blades each time, bandages, and high up enough on her thigh that no one can see. She's on her way to her biggest dance audition, and she's feeling confident now that she's calm. But then, Darrell comes barging into the audition and throws her off. S ...more
Wendy'sThoughts
Nov 28, 2014 Wendy'sThoughts rated it liked it
3 Disturbing Yet Understandable Stars * * *

I love ballet and the dedication it takes to accomplish it. There is a beauty in all the control... with the parallel feeling of freedom when the dancer performs gravity defying jumps and spins.

This story has two characters wracked with guilt and need. Both are tortured with nightmares and driven in their own ways.... that they end up connecting and finding each other is a miracle.
We meet the dancer and are introduced to her way of coping. She has syst
Christa
Oct 22, 2013 Christa rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
Received an ARC copy in exchange for an honest review.

Dance For Me by Helena Newbury is a heartbreaking story about two people who are dealing with a huge amount of guilt in relation to their past. Both drowning each dealing with their guilt in their own way.

Natasha puts everything she has into ballet and when that doesn’t work and her emotions take over she cuts to “ground” her. Darrell throws himself into his work barley taking a break to sleep or eat. His anger driving him to come up with the
Christy
Jul 07, 2013 Christy rated it really liked it
I was provided with this book from the author to give and honest review!

First off I must say I really enjoyed the book, though at times I found Natasha far too forgiving, I know I wouldn't be quite as understanding if I was her!! The plot of the story was well conceived with ballet dancer Natasha struggling with her own personal demons from her past when she is suddenly staring in to the crystal blue eyes of millionaire inventor Darrell Carner following an interruption in her audition. Darrell h
Hermione
1 star. Here's what was wrong with this book:

You do not feel an electric, static, "wow he can keep me grounded in life" connection at the first point of eye contact. I'm telling you. You don't.

You do not, under any circumstances, go to an older man's house after he asks you to "dance for him." Alone. This is absolutely common sense!

Actually, you do not add the same man you met at your recital - who was staring at you throughout your presentation and during others' presentations - on Facebook.
Indy
Jul 16, 2013 Indy rated it liked it
This book had it's original high points: WMD developer/engineer, who lost his family in a car bomb abroad having been targeted by terrorists. Female character has a unique tragic history of losing her family too and copes with cutting herself to maintain control of her life. Put together there was a lot of potential looking at the bones of this novel, unfortunately it missed the mark.

My main issues with it 1) build up to their relationship was great, but author lost credibility when they instant
Laurel
Kind of weird and lot of angst-y. Not what I expected, but interesting enough to keep me reading. I always like reading ballet lingo. It takes me back.
Sarah Oxford
*This book was provided to me in exchange for an honest and unbiased review*

It has been some time, well at least a couple of weeks, since I have read a book that elicited in me that utter desperation to return to it at every available moment. This book did that! I admit, this morning I was late for work. Actually I pulled up in the car park 25 minutes early but I was at 90% (I'd had it on text to speech, I'm not a dangerous driver!) and there was no way I was stopping! So, yeah, well done for th
Christine
Nor for me. Heroine is a cutter.
Heather
Jul 18, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing
I am on a winning streak with books I have been asked to review. Two that are getting 5 stars from me in a row. Awesome!

I started this yesterday and ended up carrying my ipad with me EVERYWHERE. Family BBQ? I was reading. Waiting for fireworks to start at the school? I was reading. It was that good.

I was drawn into Dance For Me from the first page. The very first. This book just hits you with emotion right from the beginning and doesn’t let up. Natasha has one of those problems that polite peopl
Beverly Diehl
Natasha (21) and Darrell (25?) are both orphans, both obsessed by their professions, both hiding secrets related to the death of their parents. (Doesn't hurt that they are both attractive and well-built.)

Natasha is a dancer/dancing student by day, bartender by night. Darrell is an engineer who builds bombs. As he struggles with his newest design, he stumbles on the idea of dance, ballet in particular, that just might hold the key to his design problem. Obsessed, he crashes an audition while Nata
Brandee Price
*3.5 Stars*

Having read In Harmony, #2 in the Fenbrook Academy series, and adoring it, I was eager to read Dance For Me. While it didn't work for me quite as well as In Harmony, I did enjoy it.

Natasha Liss is studying ballet at Fenbrook Academy. Actually, sh'es one of its most promising students. But Natasha has a traumatic past she's trying to keep buried. The memories drive her to dance, exercise, and harm herself, in order to maintain balance.

Darrell Carner is a designer for the government. An
Skye Burling-Briggs
Sep 23, 2013 Skye Burling-Briggs rated it it was amazing
Shelves: a-beta-arc-rrc
***ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review***

I.NEEDED.THE.SECOND.BOOK.NOW.PLEASE!!

This was so beautifully written, it was distracting!!

Jessica
Feb 04, 2015 Jessica rated it did not like it
It looks like I'm on a "DNF" streak lately. I really wanted to like this book, and I honestly expected to with all of the 5-star reviews. The main character was whiny, avoidant, and unable to stand on her own which really annoyed me. The matter of not finding out what it is that she is hiding until you practically reach the end of the book is aggravating as well. I just couldn't stick around anymore to find out. Suspense can be a useful plot device, but not when you drag it out and in so many ...more
Leanne Crabtree
I received this ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.

This is about Natasha, a dancer–-ballet being her favourite–-who goes to an audition for a role in an advert but gets distracted during the audition by someone running into the room. Darrell, the distractor, is captivated by her and the ballet she performs and asks her to dance for him as his muse so he can figure out a way to make his latest project work.

Darrell was rather intriguing from the start and I liked how we saw him f
Laura Trujillo (The Literary Vixen)
*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

We all have things, both good and bad that has happened to us in the past. Some deal with their pasts better than others. For Natasha it's her ballet dancing. She attends Fenbrook which is a school for dancers, actors, and musicians. One day at an audition or actually in the middle of her audition she meets the most handsome guy. Natasha is shaken but finishes the audition. Much to her dismay she doesn't get the role. The handsome
NightlyReading
Aug 17, 2013 NightlyReading rated it really liked it
I have been reading a lot of NA titles lately. I love the romance factor and seeing how the characters finally end up together! The swoony guys do help a lot:)
This book did not disappoint on the swoon factor! The alternating POV’s were fantastic and I enjoy getting inside both the main characters heads!!!
Both of these characters are broken. They both lost their parents to tragic accidents. Natasha put all her energy into dance while Darrell put all of his energy into his work. Darrell was in nee
Chrissy
Sep 22, 2013 Chrissy rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013, series
The story for Dance with me was a great story nut I feel as though the was too much angst and anxiety and hidden reasons for things rather than the real issues and the relationship between Natasha and Darrell.
I also thought it was weird how on the first date Darrell proclaims his feelings for Natasha. I know, when you know you know, but can you really say you love someone if you’re not even honest with them or know their secrets when you know they are hiding something big?
The characters were wel
Sienna Logan (Lost to Books)
For a freebie Dance For Me was an okay read. It was a short book that was easy to follow and something did keep me reading. However, I will admit that I skimmed read most of this book. For that reason I'm going to keep this review short.

The reason I skim read this book was that I felt there was a lot of mundane events included that didn't really add much. For me this book didn't connect with me emotionally and I felt there were a few too many underdeveloped plot strands. I didn't really buy into
Nadia Simonenko
Jun 27, 2013 Nadia Simonenko rated it it was amazing
I received an advance copy of "Dance For Me" by Helena Newbury a few weeks ago, and frankly, I loved it. There's just something about the way Helena writes, sort of a casual descriptiveness that brings everything to life without bogging down the story, that makes it a pleasure to read her work. Thank you, by the way, for making the male lead an engineer. :) About time the sciences get a little love; not everyone wants an asshole rock-star!
Danielle Uhlman
Mar 10, 2015 Danielle Uhlman rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. I love and appreciate the art of dancing ballet plus it had a really good story line to it. The way they both found a positive way to deal with pain and hurt in each other to build that trust and feel comfortable enough to let that person in its definitely a symbol of true love.
  • Found (Lost & Found, #2)
  • Sanctuary of Mine
  • Me, Cinderella? (Cinderella, #1)
  • A Long Time Coming (Perfect Timing #2)
  • Mad For You (Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to Love, #1)
  • Risk the Night
  • The Object of His Desire
  • Lily of the Valley (Flowering, #1.5)
  • This Love (University of Branton, #1)
  • Summer Girl
  • How It Rolls (Love and Skate, #2)
  • I Married a Billionaire: The Prodigal Son (I Married a Billionaire, #3)
  • New Adult Romance Boxed Set
  • Blindness
  • Black Hurricane (Boston Boys, #3)
  • Tangled
  • After Thoughts
  • Death of a Rock Star (The Boy in the Band, #0.5)
Want to contact me? helenanewburyauthor@gmail.com

I'm a New Adult Romance author living in London, currently working on my third book :)
More about Helena Newbury...

Fenbrook Academy (3 books)
  • In Harmony (Fenbrook Academy, #2)
  • Acting Brave (Fenbrook Academy, #3)