Start by marking “Shards of History (Shards of History, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shards of History (Shards of History, #1)

Shards of History (Shards of History #1)

Feared and reviled, the fierce, winged creatures known as Jeguduns live in the cliffs surrounding the Taakwa valley. When Malia discovers an injured Jegudun in the valley, she risks everything — exile from the village, loss of her status as clan mother in training, even her life — to befriend and save the surprisingly intelligent creature. But all of that pales when she le ...more
Trade Paperback, Trade Paperback, 324 pages
Published May 21st 2013 by World Weaver Press (first published August 21st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Shards of History, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shards of History

Shards of History by Rebecca RolandFractured Days by Rebecca RolandCampaign 2100 by Larry HodgesA Soul Like Salt by Lane RobinsHunted by Meagan Spooner
Odyssey Writers' Workshop Alums
1st out of 103 books — 5 voters
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Golden Compass by Philip PullmanHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinSabriel by Garth Nix
Best Fantasy: Unique Worlds
273rd out of 530 books — 430 voters

More lists with this book...

Maria
Oct 10, 2012 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shards of History has to be one of the most beautifully written novels I have ever read - both visually and metaphorically. Rebecca Roland has the ability to capture you with her stunning descriptions of the world surrounding the Taakwa people, Jegudun creatures and yes, even some dragons.

Our protagonist, Malia, is a strong-willed, selfless, courageous and unyielding woman - so, needless to say, I love her! She comes from a village where typical gender roles are reversed and women have all the p
Amalia Dillin
Sep 16, 2012 Amalia Dillin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had a great, rich world, and a wonderfully strong woman as the protagonist, who led us on a very natural journey of growth. There are so many possibilities and doors left open for exploration in this world, still, too, and I'm curious to see if it becomes a series.
Nicole L Bates
Rebecca Roland's first novel, Shards of History, is a beautiful blend of historical fiction and fantasy. The Taakwa, a tribal people much like the Native Americans of the southwestern United States, live in fear of the Jegudun, an avian species that they believe to be their life-long enemies. What the Taakwa don't realize is that the real threat comes from the dragon-riding Maddion, a people they have labeled The Outsiders.

One woman, Malia, learns the truth about the Jegudun, and her own people'
Carolyn-anne Templeton
First, I want to start a fan club for Enuwal. The novel really turns the traditional alpha male/submissive female trope on it's head. And damn it, sweet, adorable guys are hot. For some reason, don't ask me why, he reminds me of Ren from Gabriel's Ghost (who, unlike this book, was the only redeeming quality of an otherwise horrible book), which is a BIG PLUS.

The lead character, Malia, is very strong and encounters her travails with an admirable amount of confidence that is, refreshingly, not br
S.L. Saboviec
Sep 25, 2015 S.L. Saboviec rated it really liked it
Shards of History proves that a book from a small press can be as absorbing, well-written, and well-edited as a book from a large press. The characters were realistic and the struggles were palpable; the writing propelled me through the pages.

My favorite portrayal was was Malia, such a strong yet vulnerable protagonist. She's stuck in crappy situation, with a husband she has to stay with because of her obligations to her village and a discovery that she can't unveil because of her society's prej
Susan Sullivan
Dec 02, 2013 Susan Sullivan rated it it was amazing
I love this book! The world building is so refreshing and captivating and the jeguduns are fascinating. Malia is a compelling heroine and I found myself wanting to live in her world. Frankly, I'd tired of traditional fantasy years ago, but I gobbled up this fantasy novel like candy. Can't wait for the sequel!!!! This book is amazing! I highly recommend it.
Richard Flores IV
Goodreads needs to add three more stars to their rating system just for this book. I loved everything about it. I love Malia and everyone she meets a long the way in her journey. The world is amazing, the description is awesome. I'm just simply in love with this book.
HeatherAnne Norbury
May 15, 2015 HeatherAnne Norbury rated it it was amazing
In terms of world building, Rebecca has done it beautifully in Shards of History. She eschews the traditional Medieval Europe angle of most fantasy novels for a decidedly American Indian one. Malia is a strong heroine who must make extremely dangerous choices, that fly in the face of generations of history, in order to save her people. In Malia's world, gender roles are somewhat reversed. I say “somewhat” because the men are still the hunters and warriors, but the women are the leaders and the m ...more
Amber
Jan 06, 2016 Amber rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This was a nicely written book and a good first book from this author.

According to oral history the Taakwa and Jegudun have always been at odds with each other. The Taakwa are not allowed to leave the valley or they'll be attacked by the Jegudun. When the main character Malia encounters one in the forest she begins to see that perhaps there is more to the Jegudun race then they know.

Some of the plot was a bit predictable. The world setting doesn't extend too far and some of it is presented rath
Laura Harvey
May 22, 2015 Laura Harvey rated it it was amazing
This is a fast, fun read. Roland creates an authentic feeling world populated by distinct creatures and cultures, magic and mayhem. Malia is a heroine from the start.
Tess
Apr 29, 2016 Tess rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book with it's imaginative world and characters. Roland makes them come to life and kept me guessing as to what would happen next. I like that! Looking forward to the next book.
Eileen
Nov 02, 2013 Eileen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Young adults and those of us who've been reading fantasy for much longer, will love this one -- particularly since it eschews the second-world fantasy trope of pseudo-Medieval Europe in favor of the rich landscape of the Native American cultures of the Southwest.

The social and cultural dynamics build to a clash and crescendo at the end of the novel. And Malia is a heroine we can all root for! Not some fainting flower, she defies the men in her life to save her people, and as it turns out, fix th
Linn
Oct 08, 2015 Linn rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-read
A nice new world setting and interesting plot. Somehow though it never fully caught my interest and maybe I guess it was because the writing style didn't appeal to me. I'm usually one for long descriptions and visual build up, whereas this was more plot driven.
Hypha
Hypha marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Gretchen
Gretchen marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Caroline Oden
Caroline Oden marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Fabiana Alvarez
Fabiana Alvarez marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
DUONGBAONGOCANGELBABYBOOTS.
DUONGBAONGOCANGELBABYBOOTS. rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2016
Grace Touch
Grace Touch marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Impy
Impy marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Jamie Mccauley
Jamie Mccauley marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Zarish Fatima
Zarish Fatima marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Vikki
Vikki marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Deanna Winters welch
Deanna Winters welch marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
  • Time Enough for Love (Italian Time Travel #2)
  • Billy Purgatory: I Am the Devil Bird
  • Jaq's Harp (Future Tales, #1)
  • The Kiss Test
  • Moonlit Nights
  • Spider's Lullaby (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter #1.5)
  • Storm Warning (East Coast of Scotland, #2)
  • Ashes (Arson, # 2)
  • Melt
  • Children of Sun and Moon (Skyfall, #1)
  • Faythe Reclaimed (Hanaford Park #3)
  • The Castings Trilogy (Castings, #1-3)
  • CaddyGirls
  • She Speaks to Angels (AngelFire Chronicles, #1)
  • Released (The Shapeshifters' Library, 1)
  • The Rake's Wicked Proposal
  • Moon Spun (Unbidden Magic, #3)
  • The Last Slayer (The Heartstone Trilogy #1)
5820132
Rebecca lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico where she writes primarily fantasy and horror. Her first novel, Shards of History, is available from World Weaver Press. Her short fiction has appeared in Uncle John's Flush Fiction and in Stupefying Stories, and she is a graduate of the Odyssey Writing Workshop. When she's not writing, she's usually spending time with her family, torturing patients as a ph ...more
More about Rebecca Roland...

Shards of History (3 books)
  • Fractured Days