Start by marking “Shards of History (Shards of History, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shards of History (Shards of History, #1)

Shards of History (Shards of History #1)

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Feared and reviled, the fierce, winged creatures known as Jeguduns live in the cliffs surrounding the Taakwa valley. When Malia discovers an injured Jegudun in the valley, she risks everything — exile from the village, loss of her status as clan mother in training, even her life — to befriend and save the surprisingly intelligent creature. But all of that pales when she le ...more
Trade Paperback, Trade Paperback, 324 pages
Published May 21st 2013 by World Weaver Press (first published August 21st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Shards of History, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shards of History

Maria
Shards of History has to be one of the most beautifully written novels I have ever read - both visually and metaphorically. Rebecca Roland has the ability to capture you with her stunning descriptions of the world surrounding the Taakwa people, Jegudun creatures and yes, even some dragons.

Our protagonist, Malia, is a strong-willed, selfless, courageous and unyielding woman - so, needless to say, I love her! She comes from a village where typical gender roles are reversed and women have all the p
Amalia Dillin
This book had a great, rich world, and a wonderfully strong woman as the protagonist, who led us on a very natural journey of growth. There are so many possibilities and doors left open for exploration in this world, still, too, and I'm curious to see if it becomes a series.
Nicole L Bates
Rebecca Roland's first novel, Shards of History, is a beautiful blend of historical fiction and fantasy. The Taakwa, a tribal people much like the Native Americans of the southwestern United States, live in fear of the Jegudun, an avian species that they believe to be their life-long enemies. What the Taakwa don't realize is that the real threat comes from the dragon-riding Maddion, a people they have labeled The Outsiders.

One woman, Malia, learns the truth about the Jegudun, and her own people'
Carolyn-anne Templeton
First, I want to start a fan club for Enuwal. The novel really turns the traditional alpha male/submissive female trope on it's head. And damn it, sweet, adorable guys are hot. For some reason, don't ask me why, he reminds me of Ren from Gabriel's Ghost (who, unlike this book, was the only redeeming quality of an otherwise horrible book), which is a BIG PLUS.

The lead character, Malia, is very strong and encounters her travails with an admirable amount of confidence that is, refreshingly, not br
Susan Sullivan
I love this book! The world building is so refreshing and captivating and the jeguduns are fascinating. Malia is a compelling heroine and I found myself wanting to live in her world. Frankly, I'd tired of traditional fantasy years ago, but I gobbled up this fantasy novel like candy. Can't wait for the sequel!!!! This book is amazing! I highly recommend it.
Richard Flores IV
Goodreads needs to add three more stars to their rating system just for this book. I loved everything about it. I love Malia and everyone she meets a long the way in her journey. The world is amazing, the description is awesome. I'm just simply in love with this book.
HeatherAnne Norbury
In terms of world building, Rebecca has done it beautifully in Shards of History. She eschews the traditional Medieval Europe angle of most fantasy novels for a decidedly American Indian one. Malia is a strong heroine who must make extremely dangerous choices, that fly in the face of generations of history, in order to save her people. In Malia's world, gender roles are somewhat reversed. I say “somewhat” because the men are still the hunters and warriors, but the women are the leaders and the m ...more
Laura Harvey
This is a fast, fun read. Roland creates an authentic feeling world populated by distinct creatures and cultures, magic and mayhem. Malia is a heroine from the start.
Eileen
Young adults and those of us who've been reading fantasy for much longer, will love this one -- particularly since it eschews the second-world fantasy trope of pseudo-Medieval Europe in favor of the rich landscape of the Native American cultures of the Southwest.

The social and cultural dynamics build to a clash and crescendo at the end of the novel. And Malia is a heroine we can all root for! Not some fainting flower, she defies the men in her life to save her people, and as it turns out, fix th
Moments
Moments marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Lucy
Lucy marked it as to-read
Randy Harmelink
Randy Harmelink marked it as to-read
TJ
TJ marked it as to-read
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Shawna
Shawna marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Melody Winter
Melody Winter marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Eliza Kanamugire
Eliza Kanamugire marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Elesha
Elesha marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Spryng
Spryng marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Lee Ann
Lee Ann marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Teshas
Teshas marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Rebecca Saling
Rebecca Saling marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Blaise Haddow
Blaise Haddow marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
  • Children of Sun and Moon (Skyfall, #1)
  • Moonlit Nights
  • The Rake's Wicked Proposal
  • The Castings Trilogy (Castings, #1-3)
  • Storm Warning (East Coast of Scotland, #2)
  • Billy Purgatory: I Am the Devil Bird
  • Ashes (Arson, # 2)
  • The Other Side of Heaven (Italian Time Travel #1)
  • Melt
  • Isles of the Forsaken
  • The Kiss Test
  • Spider's Lullaby (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter #1.5)
  • Silence of Souls
  • Faythe Reclaimed (Hanaford Park #3)
  • Saving Scarlett (Saving Scarlett, #1)
  • Moon Spun (Unbidden Magic, #3)
  • The Last Slayer (The Heartstone Trilogy #1)
  • Demon's Fall
5820132
Rebecca lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico where she writes primarily fantasy and horror. Her first novel, Shards of History, is available from World Weaver Press. Her short fiction has appeared in Uncle John's Flush Fiction and in Stupefying Stories, and she is a graduate of the Odyssey Writing Workshop. When she's not writing, she's usually spending time with her family, torturing patients as a ph ...more
More about Rebecca Roland...

Shards of History (3 books)
  • Fractured Days
  • The King of Ash and Bones, and Other Stories
Fractured Days The Graveyard Girl The Necromancer's Return (The Necromancer's Inheritance, #2) The King of Ash and Bones, and Other Stories The Necromancer's Book of Magic (The Necromancer's Inheritance 3)