Shards of History

Shards of History

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Only she knows the truth that can save her people. — Like all Taakwa, Malia fears the fierce winged creatures known as Jeguduns who live in the cliffs surrounding her valley. When the river dries up and Malia is forced to scavenge farther from the village than normal, she discovers a Jegudun, injured and in need of help.

Malia’s existence—her status as clan mother in train...more
Trade Paperback, Trade Paperback, 324 pages
Published May 21st 2013 by World Weaver Press (first published August 21st 2012)

Maria
Shards of History has to be one of the most beautifully written novels I have ever read - both visually and metaphorically. Rebecca Roland has the ability to capture you with her stunning descriptions of the world surrounding the Taakwa people, Jegudun creatures and yes, even some dragons.

Our protagonist, Malia, is a strong-willed, selfless, courageous and unyielding woman - so, needless to say, I love her! She comes from a village where typical gender roles are reversed and women have all the p...more
Amalia Dillin
This book had a great, rich world, and a wonderfully strong woman as the protagonist, who led us on a very natural journey of growth. There are so many possibilities and doors left open for exploration in this world, still, too, and I'm curious to see if it becomes a series.
Nicole L Bates
Rebecca Roland's first novel, Shards of History, is a beautiful blend of historical fiction and fantasy. The Taakwa, a tribal people much like the Native Americans of the southwestern United States, live in fear of the Jegudun, an avian species that they believe to be their life-long enemies. What the Taakwa don't realize is that the real threat comes from the dragon-riding Maddion, a people they have labeled The Outsiders.

One woman, Malia, learns the truth about the Jegudun, and her own people'...more
Carolyn-anne Templeton
First, I want to start a fan club for Enuwal. The novel really turns the traditional alpha male/submissive female trope on it's head. And damn it, sweet, adorable guys are hot. For some reason, don't ask me why, he reminds me of Ren from Gabriel's Ghost (who, unlike this book, was the only redeeming quality of an otherwise horrible book), which is a BIG PLUS.

The lead character, Malia, is very strong and encounters her travails with an admirable amount of confidence that is, refreshingly, not br...more
Susan Sullivan
I love this book! The world building is so refreshing and captivating and the jeguduns are fascinating. Malia is a compelling heroine and I found myself wanting to live in her world. Frankly, I'd tired of traditional fantasy years ago, but I gobbled up this fantasy novel like candy. Can't wait for the sequel!!!! This book is amazing! I highly recommend it.
Richard IV
Goodreads needs to add three more stars to their rating system just for this book. I loved everything about it. I love Malia and everyone she meets a long the way in her journey. The world is amazing, the description is awesome. I'm just simply in love with this book.
Ronya
3.5 stars. Shards of History is a great fantasy read. I read it in between shifts at work and found myself drawn into the world and connected to the main characters--Malia, Dalibor, the Jeguduns, Enuwal & Vedran--when I couldn't read the book. The world-building seemed reminiscent of early Southwestern societies, so it's familiar and at the same time just the right amount of strange and compelling, especially with dragons and Jeguduns in the mix. I enjoyed Malia's point of view and the way a...more
Eileen
Young adults and those of us who've been reading fantasy for much longer, will love this one -- particularly since it eschews the second-world fantasy trope of pseudo-Medieval Europe in favor of the rich landscape of the Native American cultures of the Southwest.

The social and cultural dynamics build to a clash and crescendo at the end of the novel. And Malia is a heroine we can all root for! Not some fainting flower, she defies the men in her life to save her people, and as it turns out, fix th...more
Kimberley doruyter
Kimberley doruyter marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Diane Young
Diane Young marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Patti
Patti added it
Feb 26, 2014
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Cait Spivey
Cait Spivey marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2013
Shelley
Shelley marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2013
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Kendra Mandich
Kendra Mandich marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2013
Rei Tan
Rei Tan marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2013
Stephanie Parent
Stephanie Parent marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2013
Michelle Hofacker
Michelle Hofacker marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2013
Book
Book marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2013
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Ducky
Ducky marked it as to-read
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
boekverslaafde
boekverslaafde marked it as to-read
Jonathon
Jonathon marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2013
  • Knife Sworn (Tower and Knife Trilogy, #2)
  • The Quest Begins (The Sacred Quest Trilogy, #1)
  • Autumn (Dog Days #1)
  • Prince of Light
  • Markings
  • Silence of Souls
  • Shadowflesh
  • Faythe Reclaimed (Hanaford Park #3)
  • Moon Spun (Unbidden Magic, #3)
  • Landlocked
  • CaddyGirls
  • The Last Slayer (The Heartstone Trilogy #1)
  • Shadows of Perception
  • Prophecies Awakening (Legends of Marithia, #1)
  • Released (The Shapeshifters' Library, #1)
  • Secrets of the Sands (Children of the Desert, #1)
  • Time Spell (Ivy Grace Spell, #1)
  • That Thing at the Zoo (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter #0.5)
5820132
Rebecca lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico where she writes primarily fantasy and horror. Her first novel, Shards of History, is available from World Weaver Press. Her short fiction has appeared in Uncle John's Flush Fiction and in Stupefying Stories, and she is a graduate of the Odyssey Writing Workshop. When she's not writing, she's usually spending time with her family, torturing patients as a ph...more
More about Rebecca Roland...
The King of Ash and Bones, and Other Stories Uncle John's Bathroom Reader Presents Flush Fiction: 88 Short Short Stories You Can Read in a Single Sitting TWO: The 2nd Annual Stupefying Stories Horror Special Stupefying Stories: November 2011 Soon: Four Chilling Tales