Start by marking “Hacking Politics: How Geeks, Progressives, the Tea Party, Gamers, Anarchists and Suits Teamed Up to Defeat SOPA and Save the Internet” as Want to Read:

Hacking Politics is a firsthand account of how a ragtag band of activists and technologists overcame a $90 million lobbying machine to defeat the most serious threat to Internet freedom in memory. The book is a revealing look at how Washington works today – and how citizens successfully fought back.

Written by the core Internet figures – video gamers, Tea Partiers, tech tit
ebook
Published May 15th 2013 by OR Books

To ask other readers questions about Hacking Politics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hacking Politics

Dan
Jul 11, 2013 Dan rated it it was ok
This is actually the first ebook I have ever read. I'll try not to let my frustration with my Kindle get in the way of my review.

That said, I was fairly skeptical when this book was announced. It seemed then, and I still think it is, a fairly egregious case of patting oneself on the back. It's good that SOPA was defeated, amazing that it was given its support versus who opposed it, and I was one of the many who signed a petition sent via email.

But despite supporting the book's cause, I can't say
Melinda Coolidge
May 29, 2013 Melinda Coolidge rated it it was amazing
This is far and away the best book I have ever read on the SOPA/PIPA battle ;) No, actually it was surprisingly entertaining and definitely enlightening - my favorite chapters were those on the markup in committee and both the creative and the typical tactics for getting a bill amended, stalled, or killed. I also enjoyed Parts 4 and 5, where so many interesting people from different backgrounds help explain why these lobbying techniques were so effective, and predict possibilities for further in ...more
Daniel Gormly
Jun 30, 2014 Daniel Gormly rated it liked it
The strangest part of this book is that its first section comprises a 50 or so page 'tl;dr'. This section summarises the events surrounding the SOPA/PIPA demise. The summary however, is comprised wholly of quotes that as I continued reading, found out were taken directly from the main body of text. I almost liked having the snippets reinforced as I continued reading. Almost because as I continued reading on, it turned out the book was about 200 pages too long and needlessly and egregiously repet ...more
Ryan
Dec 31, 2014 Ryan rated it liked it
Shelves: stopped-reading
The subject is nice, the authors are nice, but it's a hell of a lot of repetition and became too lengthy to keep reading.
Lynda
Lynda marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Erik Vold
Erik Vold marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Donald Forster
Donald Forster marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Levi
Levi marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Nayana Abreu
Nayana Abreu marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Tiina4
Tiina4 marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Andrew Meintzer
Andrew Meintzer marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Magdalena Tešanović
Magdalena Tešanović marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
edson
edson marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Chris M
Chris M marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Min
Min marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Boggsy3
Boggsy3 marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Allen Patterson
Allen Patterson marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Isaac
Isaac marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Joel O. Acevedo
Joel O. Acevedo is currently reading it
Mar 17, 2016
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Fernando
Fernando marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Michael Young
Michael Young marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Donderick
Donderick marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2015
Meryki
Meryki marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2015