Start by marking “Maximilian Standforth and the Case of the Dangerous Dare” as Want to Read:
Maximilian Standforth and the Case of the Dangerous Dare

Maximilian Standforth and the Case of the Dangerous Dare

The cursed and foreboding McGregor Castle is the most terrifying and haunted location in all of the British Empire. Only a brave (or foolish) soul would consider visiting it, let alone staying within its walls for five days. In other words, a perfect dare for a man like Maximilian Standforth!

Maximilian Standforth, famed playboy aristocrat and private detective, is a genius
281 pages
Published June 11th 2013 (first published May 21st 2013)

Be the first to ask a question about Maximilian Standforth and the Case of the Dangerous Dare

Renee
Jun 26, 2014 Renee rated it really liked it
First, let me state that if you sit down to read this book after reading A Jane Austen Daydream, prepare yourself for something completely different (but in a good way). Maximilian Standforth and the Case of the Dangerous Dare is nothing like Mr. Southard's other novel, save the facts that the writing is excellent and the plot and characters are attention-keepers.

The Dangerous Dare kept my attention from the very first. We experience the point of view of Bob Wordsworth, the title character's Man
Jason Cantrell
Sep 08, 2013 Jason Cantrell rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
I got this book for free when the author was giving away free downloads of the ebook. I'm glad that I got it for free, because I'm not sure if I would have been satisfied if I had paid for it.

My first impression of this book was that it was a complete ripoff of Sherlock Holmes. It's a mystery, set in 19th century England, following an eccentric genius detective and his more intellectual and proper assistant. The "assistant" is writing the book, just as Watson did in the Sherlock Holmes series,
Wanda Paryla
Jul 20, 2014 Wanda Paryla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Review:

Maximilian Standforth and the Case of the Dangerous Dare, by Scott D. Southard.

* Please note: I purchased this book. The author did not solicit this review.*

My overall Amazon Star Rating – 4 stars for this mystery/thriller.

As always, I will not rehash the plot of this book and summarize the story. I’ll leave that up to the book’s cover and other venues.
First off, this is an absolutely fantastic cover design. However, I was deceived by this cover. The story isn’t the tale the cover c
Frenchie
Jun 13, 2013 Frenchie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who like mind games and paranormal mysteries
Recommended to Frenchie by: ereaderiq.com
Maximilian Standforth and the Case of the Dangerous Dare is not an easy read but it is an intriguing, confusing and obsessive one. Yes, because I still do not know if I liked it or hated it but one thing is sure, I could not put it down.

You may wonder why 5 stars then? simple. It is very well written, from the point of view of Bob, the butler, servant, carriage driver and above all, a friend of Maximilian. And by the way, is Bob really what he wants to project? It also makes you feel like the do
C. L. Deards
Jul 08, 2013 C. L. Deards rated it really liked it
I started Scott's latest with eager anticipation after having read A Jane Austen Daydream, which I absolutely loved.

Seeing the cover of Maximilian Standforth and the Case of the Dangerous Dare, I came away with a preconceived notion of what the book would be about.

Look at the cover. What tone does the cover set in your mind?

Well, needless to say, I was surprised by the tone. I was expecting a light-hearted mystery novel, when in fact the story trends the opposite after a humorous, tongue-in-chee
Jodi Woody
Jan 03, 2015 Jodi Woody rated it it was amazing
My first taste of author Scott Southard was through his book “A Jane Austen Daydream”, which I loved, so I don’t know what I was really expecting from this book. Not at all like Jane Austen. This book proved to me the writing skill of Mr. Southard! I believe the man has quiet the imagination, albeit a twisted one. Maximilian Standforth is a mystery in the likes of Sherlock Holms, but with a case that, possibly, even he couldn’t solve. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and give it 5 stars.
Christoph Fischer
Jul 26, 2013 Christoph Fischer rated it really liked it
"Maximilian Standforth and the Case of the Dangerous Dare" by Scott D. Southard is a well written and clever tongue-in-cheek take on detective novels. Told by the assistant to Maximilian in well composed English and entertaining style this concerns the dare to visit a haunted Castle.
Playing with traditional style and plot ingredients but introducing enough surprises and originality this book was great fun to read.
Anne
Jul 03, 2013 Anne rated it it was ok
This was a very confusing book for me. The opening hinted at wry humorous adventure books like Artemis Fowl and Lemony Snicket but then mid-way through the tone changed (dare I say, the 'rules' changed) and it became darker. And finally it turned into a meta-fiction along the lines of Thursday Next. The melange of styles and tones did not work for me and the ending left me shaking my head.
Teri
Jul 04, 2013 Teri rated it really liked it
This book is not typically one I would read, but it captured my attention. There were quite a few twists that I did not expect. Overall, this book made a good impression.
Jim Palmer
Jim Palmer rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2013
Ryan Langrill
Ryan Langrill rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2013
Dylan Baker
Dylan Baker rated it it was ok
Sep 27, 2013
Leslie
Leslie rated it it was ok
Sep 04, 2013
Khushi ;)
Khushi ;) rated it it was ok
Oct 06, 2016
Carol Ann
Carol Ann rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2013
David P
David P rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2013
Heather Vaughan-southard
Heather Vaughan-southard rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2013
Jazzmyn foreman
Jazzmyn foreman rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2014
Shannon
Shannon rated it did not like it
Sep 16, 2013
Shannon
Shannon rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2013
Boyko Ovcharov
Boyko Ovcharov rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2015
Alyssa Olvera
Alyssa Olvera marked it as to-read
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
Patricia Bergman
Patricia Bergman marked it as to-read
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Sonia
Sonia marked it as to-read
May 14, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Lillian Kowalewski
Lillian Kowalewski marked it as to-read
Cindy Gates
Cindy Gates marked it as to-read
Michelle Proulx
Michelle Proulx marked it as to-read
Barry
Barry marked it as to-read
Michelle Willms
Michelle Willms marked it as to-read
Felix
Felix marked it as to-read
Aryea Hunt
Aryea Hunt marked it as to-read
Patricia Crosby
Patricia Crosby marked it as to-read
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Darlene Howard
Darlene Howard marked it as to-read
Kim Coomey
Kim Coomey marked it as to-read
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Shannon Lynne
Shannon Lynne marked it as to-read
May 14, 2013
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
Lena Edwards
Lena Edwards marked it as to-read
Lisa Ann (Ketsy)
Lisa Ann (Ketsy) marked it as to-read
Maria Elena
Maria Elena marked it as to-read
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Rosanna-Michelle
Rosanna-Michelle marked it as to-read
May 14, 2013
  • The Lady Flirts with Death (Simon & Elizabeth, #3)
  • A Case of Poisons (Anthony Maxwell #1)
  • The Hunt for the Well Hidden Treasure
  • Lords of Honor (Lords of Avalon #2)
  • The Rose Red Reaper (Chicago Serial Crimes, #1)
  • Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries Volume One (Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries, #1-3)
  • The Case of the Russian Chessboard: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery Only Now Revealed
  • The Paris Affair (Rannoch/Fraser Publication Order, #6)
  • A Diet to Die For
  • Death of a Serpent (Serafina Florio, #1)
  • A Deadly Affection
  • Claws of the Cat (Shinobi Mystery, #1)
  • Second Verse
  • Restoration (Falcon Lord #2)
  • Trilogies: 18 Sets of Short Fiction
  • The Emperor's Agent (Numinous World, #5)
  • Nimbus (Nimbus #1-4)
  • Louise's Dilemma (Louise Pearlie, #3)
Scott D. Southard is the author of Permanent Spring Showers, A Jane Austen Daydream, Maximilian Standforth and the Case of the Dangerous Dare, My Problem With Doors, Megan, Me Stuff, and 3 Days in Rome. His eclectic writing has also found its way into radio, being the creator of the radio comedy series The Dante Experience. The production was honored with the Golden Headset Award for Best ...more
More about Scott D. Southard...