Start by marking “Un amour de Swann (À la recherche du temps perdu, #1.2)” as Want to Read:
Un amour de Swann (À la recherche du temps perdu, #1.2)

Un amour de Swann (À la recherche du temps perdu #1.2)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  1,145 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Erzählt wird eine Episode aus dem Leben Swanns: die Geschichte seiner großen Liebe zu Odette, einer Dame der Pariser Halbwelt.
Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Published September 21st 2000 by Pocket (first published 1930)

To ask other readers questions about Un amour de Swann, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Un amour de Swann

For the Celebrity Death Match Review Tournament, Hamlet (4) versus À la recherche du temps perdu (29)

[A bar in Elsinore. HAMLET is slumped in front of a large collection of empty glasses]

O, that this too too solid flesh would melt
Thaw and resolve itself into a dew!
Or that the Everlasting had not fix'd
His canon 'gainst self-slaughter! O God! God!
How weary, stale, flat and unprofitable,
Seem to me all the uses of this world!
Fie on't! ah fie! 'tis an unweeded garden,
That grows to seed; thing
I know Proust is supposed to be amazing - maybe reading in the original french was just too much because it's discouragingly dense - the text just goes on and on with extremely rare paragraph markings. The thing about Proust is that he really goes into such minute detail - sometimes it's interesting and insightful, sometimes it seems rambling and irrelevant.

He does a great job of character development and a surprisingly realistic description of the details of human behavior and thinking, but it
Many years ago I read Proust, the whole thing, as some sort of self-challenge. I remember that while reading it there were sentences, lengthy yes, but that were so beautiful and so profound I sighed longingly after them. However, here's the thing about Proust: I have no idea what it was about. It's all very vague and fractured, like a half-remembered dream. And this is not time talking; I felt that way right after reading it. There's madeleine cakes and neighbors and some Jewish elements and two ...more
Migrei entre "que genial!" e "por que ele está falando isso exaustivamente e em parágrafos intermináveis?" frequentemente durante todo o livro. Foi a minha experiência com o Proust, e apesar da leitura não ter sido tão entusiasmante e natural quanto eu esperava - consegui engatar no livro só depois da terceira tentativa!, o que pra mim é coisa raríssima - espero poder dar outra chance ao hombre. No mais, além das referências interessantes que ele faz com aparente propriedade a outros ramos da ar ...more
Chris Rutledge
This is an amazing adaptation, in graphic novel form, of Swann's Way, the first volume of In Search of Lost Time.

From the first: “Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure” (For a long time, I went to bed early) to the closing " the memory of a certain image is but regret for a certain moment; and houses, roads, avenues are as fleeting, alas, as the years,” this edition captures the spirit of the masterpiece.

This is wonderful both for those who have read the novel several times (as I have -
I remember analyzing one sentence Proust wrote in a college undergraduate creative writing class. That sentence turned me off from attempting to read Proust; however, my mind changed when I saw this graphic novel version. It was definitely easy to understand and follow. It was also very different from what I expected. I find it hard to rate since I cannot compare it to the original and also the story itself is a little too random for my taste. I am happy that I read it and thought the illustrati ...more
I realized about halfway through this book, which I found amazingly engaging, is that I have utterly no interesting in seeing the movie (I have a copy published in conjunction with the Jeremy Irons-starring film). Seeing people do foolish things for love (or self-interest or obsession) holds no interest for me, but reading the eloquent and insightful analysis of each step, each feeling, of the relationship was fantastic.
It's not a masterpiece as a graphic novel, but I assume nobody expected it to be. For fans of "The Novel," or for someone looking for an accessible introduction to Proust, this is certainly worth looking at. The art is pretty and the attempts at transposing the amazing interiority of Proust's trademark style into a graphic medium are, if not always fully successful, always interesting.
It's a definition of love in 200 pages, and then you realize that the object is of no importance, only the subject itself.
Really fine work. I imagine that a seasoned Proustian would esteem it as highly as I do (novice that I am).
Je n'aimais jamais des livres à propros les difficultés des riches.
Antes que nada me gustaría aclarar algo que para mi fue muy confuso: "Un amor de Swann" es sólo un fragmento del libro "Por el camino de Swann"

Me confundí y lo compré pensando que era el libro completo (a veces cambian mucho el nombre al traducirlo al español).
Pero la causa de mi error se debe a la reseña que pusieron en el sitio Web de la librería donde lo compré (lo confunden con el libro completo). Inclusive aquí en goodreads lo confunden también, porque entrelazaron los reviews de "Un amor d
Ay, un libro intenso donde los haya. Realmente he terminado con él y se me ha escapado un suspiro. Me llevo muchas impresiones, reflexiones, frases... En cierto modo toda la historia me ha dejado con el corazón en un puño, pero pienso ¡qué fácil es juzgar desde fuera, qué ciegos parecen los enamorados!Hay que verse en la situación (en muchas cosas comprendo perfectamente a Swann)... Sin embargo algunas cosas están claras:
- Basta que tengamos que luchar tanto por algo para que cuando lo consigamo
Un Amour de Swan by Marcel Proust

A La Recherche du Temps Perdu is for me the greatest book I came across. I was surprised to see that on the Le Monde list of best books it came only second, even if I love L’Etranger, which was placed at number one.

The first time I saw a book by Proust was in the house of a teacher. A math teacher. Starting to read Proust at 17 was a challenge, indeed- it still is. Apart from finding the book, the length of some phrases-extending over a few pages sometimes- a ser
Ignacio Mazzara
"Tiempo atrás, uno soñaba con poseer el corazón de la mujer de la que estaba enamorado; más tarde, sentir que poseemos el corazón de una mujer puede bastar para enamorarnos de ella."

"De todas las maneras de producirse el amor, y de todos los agentes de diseminación de ese mal sagrado, uno de los más eficaces es ese gran torbellino de agitación que nos arrastra en ciertas ocasiones. La suerte está echada, y el ser que por entonces goza de nuestra simpatía, se convertirá en el ser amado. Ni siquie
Martin Yankov
I enjoyed reading this novel.

I think it’s safe to say that Marcel Proust really has an amazing writing style. His beautifully constructed sentences just draw you in and you find it hard to put the book down.

The story is not really original or special and maybe it’s not meant to be. I wouldn’t say it’s a story about love, it’s rather a story about all the different feelings and sensations we gather by communicating with someone and call “love”. It’s about all the different stages of attraction,

I love books that explore and reflect inner world of a protagonist, their thoughts and feelings, their state of mind, especially when that's done so realistically, so convincingly, like Proust does. I have never read anything similar to this one, I enjoyed so much writer's thoughts, his deep intuitive knowledge of human soul. Every page is full of beautiful sentences. I gave up taking notes after first 20 pages because I liked everything.

"A s obzirom da su žene u tom pogledu nepokor
Sarjan toinen jakso (2. siis jonkun luokituksen mukaan...) on mestarillinen kuvaus järjettömän rakkauden kehittymisestä ja näennäisestä kuolemasta.

Pidin Proustin tyylistä nyt paljon enemmän; haaveilut oli karsittu olennaisiin ja sisällön arvo kasvoi räjähdysmäisesti. Romaanin alku on yksi parhaista lukemistani, samoin loppu. Eikä väliosassakaan moittimista ole.

Kaikkien tavoittelema taiteentuntija ja naistenmies Swann eksyy tapaamansa Odetten kautta keskinkertaisiin seurapiireihin, joiden puuhast
J'ai attaqué Proust avec ce 'fragment', en fait la deuxième partie de "Du côté de chez Swann", premier tome de 'A LA RECHERCHE DU TEMPS PERDU'.
Une petite dose homéopathique donc, à priori abordable. Je m'y suis mise et voilà que j'ai été assiégée des phrases interminables qui tournent autour du pot, m'embrouillant et me perdant en route: tout pour me déplaire! Et y avait quelque chose de captivant là-dedans, malgré cette écriture à rallonge qui m'a rebutée au début, et j'ai persist
I enjoyed this book, although I didn't find it as enchanting and fascinatingly mystical and mysterious as Swann's Way. Un Amour de Swann was definitely more linear and straight-forward, which was a little sad in my opinion. I was actually starting to enjoy Proust's way of jumping back and forth and interweaving thoughts and stories together. It gave the story in Swann's Way a timeless sort of quality.

In Un Amour de Swann, Swann is the main character, and basically he's an aristocrat who has too
This graphic adaptation was fairly easy to read and follow, and I think it will serve as a good introduction to when I finally read the novel form of Swann's Way. I cannot say I thoroughly enjoyed the story itself, but it raised several interesting ideas of time, memory, and love/desire/obsession. But my impression is that for Proust the plot was always secondary to the language and ideas.
It is quite an interesting subject. I haven't read to many books dealing with jealousy, but this one seems to me one of the masterpieces.
One of the major problems that prevented me from giving it a higher rating is the style of Marcel Proust. I am not a big fan of Mr. Proust style. His paragraphs span for more than 1 page. His phrases are almost always composed, having more than one subordinates. And he uses a lot of divagations, some of them huge enough to be paragraphs of their own. For exampl
J'ai moins aimé cette seconde partie mais c'est en grande partie de ma faute. J'ai mis quasiment 10 mois pour écouter les 10 CD de l'édition audio, ce n'est pas très sérieux. Du coup, j'ai eu du mal à rester concentrée sur l'histoire, les personnages...
Je n'ai pas toujours accroché à l'histoire de M. Swann. Elle me plaisait au début puis j'ai trouvé ces histoires avec Odette longues et lassantes.
La dernière partie au contraire m'a beaucoup plu. J'ai aimé le fait de changer de narrateur. Lambert
Michel Van Goethem
Un amour de Swann (À la recherche du temps perdu, #1.2)
by Marcel Proust
I guess you could read this book in many different ways. It makes you think about art, love, the reasons why we like certain things and not others, love and possession; it's also a depiction of French society at the time and the different classes. Interesting on so many levels that I guess you could read it from many different perspectives, you could stay in the abstract or you could even see some of the characters in your day-to-day. A great book that makes me consider reading the full In Searc ...more
Me pareció una historia que podría ser relatada en muchísimas menos hojas, y con parrafos totalmente fuera de contexto, a pesar del sentido totalmente reflexivo que podrían tener sobre el lector.

No es un libro demasiado cautivador, y en ocasiones se tornaba aburrido pero por la falta de fuerza en cuanto a los hechos. Por otro lado, hay muchas secciones del libro que provoca subrayar, y compartirlas con muchas personas.
Beautiful, rich, and intoxicating language.............more familiarly known to others as flowery.

Proust communicates to the reader in such lushness in this book. The reason for his winding sentences seem because that is the best way to express the otherworldly phenomenon of falling in love.

I'll have to read it again.

Note to self: I will be incorporating Proust's invention, 'thraldom' in my vocabulary.
Proust captures the agonies (primarily), absurdities and occasional, fleeting happiness of unrequited or partially requited love with as keen an observation of human behavior as found in any great literature. He is the writer for the introspective introvert in whom great emotional turmoil is experienced with the outside world being unaware that anything is happening.
David Tomlinson
Great as a graphic novel, with beautiful illustrations. But I now know why the term Proustian is the slight pejorative it is.
Antoinette Powell
C.K. Scott Moncrieff's translation is lovely, and it was helpful to have it side by side with Proust's original French. So many people have written brilliantly about Proust's "Remembrance of Things Past" already; so, I'll just say it was pleasant to read this and I'm glad the type size was bigger than average.
  • Leviathan
  • Paintings in Proust: A Visual Companion to In Search of Lost Time
  • All Souls' Day
  • L'œuvre au noir
  • La cantatrice chauve, suivi de La leçon
  • Tous les matins du monde
French novelist, best known for his 3000 page masterpiece À la recherche du temps perdu (Remembrance of Things Past or In Search of Lost Time), a pseudo-autobiographical novel told mostly in a stream-of-consciousness style. Born in the first year of the Third Republic, the young Marcel, like his narrator, was a delicate child from a bourgeois family. He was active in Parisian high society during t ...more
More about Marcel Proust...

À la recherche du temps perdu (7 books)
  • Swann's Way (In Search of Lost Time, #1)
  • In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower (In Search of Lost Time, #2)
  • The Guermantes Way  (In Search of Lost Time, #3)
  • Sodom and Gomorrah (In Search of Lost Time, #4)
  • La Prisonnière (À la recherche du temps perdu, #5)
  • Albertine disparue (À la recherche du temps perdu, #6)
  • Time Regained (In Search of Lost Time, #7)