Start by marking “Grump Groan Growl” as Want to Read:

GRUMP GROAN GROWL

Bad mood on the prowl

Some days the grumpies just take over.So don't letthat anger build up--embrace your feelings, overcome your aggression, and be your best self.

In other words:

Just let those feelings be

Just let them pass

Just go inside

And let it slide

bell hooks' honest text radiates positivity while Chris Raschka's dynamic art adds humor to a book that is
Published April 8th 2008 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Grump Groan Growl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grump Groan Growl

Elizabeth
Jul 09, 2014 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
We have a split opinion on this one. My seven year old (who is probably too old for it, but who does have a pretty dark outlook on life) really likes it. My three year old (with a much sunnier temper) thinks it is terrifying and doesn't want me to read it.

I think the illustrations are what scare her. Both kids are fans of some other books by illustrator Chris Raschka (Mysterious Thelonious, John Coltrane's Giant Steps, and especially Charlie Parker Played Be Bop) but the illustrations in this o
Chacha (Vanessa) Centeno
It's not always easy for a child to understand that letting go of the grumpies is important. A great example for the young listener.
Sep 30, 2015 Laura rated it it was ok
I mean, I see what Raschka was going for, but he just wasn't successful. Instead, it comes out as an incoherent mess.
Tanya
Aug 04, 2012 Tanya rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I like the art work and the message. The actual delivery is just ok.
Alexandra Cotter
Nov 20, 2016 Alexandra Cotter rated it really liked it
I think this book would be a great read for students to see that sometimes you just need to let your feelings out and it's okay. This would be a great way to start a discussion with your students on appropriate ways to get your feelings out or show someone how you're feeling in an appropriate manner.
Michelle Skinner
Nov 05, 2016 Michelle Skinner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: student-books
Grump Groan Growl is a Caldecott award winner. The illustrations marvelously capture what a bad mood may look like. This book explores bad moods and how they are on the prowl. But if we turn into ourselves, we can let the bad mood pass us by.

I chose this book because of the intriguing illustrations on the front cover. Also, I love to read award winners. I could not find a reading level for this picture book. A teacher could read this to kindergarteners on up. Grump Groan Growl can be used to exp
Crystal MacNamee
Dec 01, 2015 Crystal MacNamee rated it really liked it
by Bell Hooks/illustrated by Chris Raschka
predictable
Published in 2008

This story is about a young child who is MAD. The child storms about and compares himself to a roaring lion and other large beasts. The child is dealing with the emotional turmoil of being inwardly explosive. It doesn't appear that child is literally crawling and roaring like a beast. It seems more like the child is trying control the anger by stuffing it down inside instead of letting it go. Eventually the ch
Angelica
Mar 30, 2013 Angelica rated it really liked it
GRUMP! GROAN! GROWL! The first 3 words of the first three pages. BAD MOOD ON THE PROWL!! The only phrase on the fourth page. Pretty much a small child is in bad mood. Sometimes it's the way a child feels and they feel the need to let it out. But sometimes they need to let feelings like that pass.

This book is exceptional for the use of color and transition from page to page. Sometimes its the way we all feel when were mad but sometimes we need to let those feelings pass. Also it's a good message
Kathleen Behrendt
With a minimum of words, this book shows how children can learn to accept their emotions (even the bad ones) and let them go. The simple words show how anger feels and the illustrations show how unattractive anger can be. Unfortunately, this book is currently out-of-print.

Recommend this book to parents and teachers looking for materials on anger management for young children. Also recommend: That Makes Me Mad by Steven Kroll, Sometimes I'm Bombaloo by Rachel Vail, When Sophie Gets Angry - Really
Marissa García
Apr 28, 2012 Marissa García rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anger
A bad mood has descended on our hero, and its makes for lots of grumping, groaning, and growling, and a declarations of: “All I am is WILD.” Our hero is able to get a handle on the bad mood, restraining and calming it, urging, “Let it slide”.

This book’s complexity positively radiates from page one. Chris Raschka’s infamous emotive illustration explosions compliment the narrative precisely. The bad mood is depicted as a jumbled Frankenstein composed of our hero and a ferocious lion, and gradually
Cara Byrne
Dec 05, 2014 Cara Byrne rated it liked it
Like other hooks/Raschka collaborations, this picture book is bright, colorful and joyfully illustrated (even as Raschka sketches a beastly, upset creature who occupies most of the book). It's a great book to read aloud - as the words grump, growl, and groan have an onomatopoeia-tic quality to them. However, I dislike the color dynamic between the child (illustrated as pale) and the beast (colored in as much darker). I also wish the book was a bit longer and fleshed out other ways the child can ...more
Marissa Garcia
A young child's bad mood takes on a metaphorical life of its own in the snarling lion like representation of the "grump groan growl" the child is feeling.

This richly illustrated picture book is as sophisticated as it is poised in its brevity. It accurately depicts the tangled waves of emotions an upset or cranky child might feel, and how to deal with them in a healthy way: "Let it slide". This is a high quality book to offer a patron needing a picture book on difficult emotions/behavior, especi
Lisa
Sep 05, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it
Here's the thing about this book: on the surface it doesn't seem like much. There is no identifiable plot and no real dialogue, except for the constant repetition of the title words among a few others. Really, the book appears be nothing more than a book of pictures(and A+ for Raschaka's artwork). But, its the lack of these things, along with the very clear message to let these angry feelings "slide", that give this book its charm and makes it great. It's "vagueness" allows the child reading to ...more
Carly
Dec 28, 2011 Carly rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ages 3 and up.
Shelves: 2011, picture-books
Grump Groan Growl uses a soothing rhythmic text to describe a universal emotion: the bad mood. This simple poem doesn't patronize the reader, it instead reminds them that when it comes to anger, "sometimes you just have to go inside and let it slide." Translation: Feel that anger, but don't let it control you. The vibrant illustrations lend compassion and humor to the text. A delightful book for all ages!
Allison
Dec 02, 2011 Allison rated it liked it
This book has great repitition and would be wonderful for pre-readers. And bell hooks has a way with rhythm. However, I was a little disappointed with the illustrations. They're just a little...messy, and sometimes they're rather confusing. Sometimes it is hard to find the words on the page because there's so much going on in the illustrations. But I love the message of the poem and the feeling of the words when they're read aloud.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
In Hooks' "Grump, Groan, Growl", readers will learn that they don't have to be trapped by their bad mood. Instead, Hooks' encourages readers to look inside themselves and let things slide (go).

Raschka's illustrations capture the strong emotions that are felt when one is stricken with a grumpy bad mood.

Great book!
alana
Dec 11, 2015 alana rated it liked it
Shelves: childrenslit
Hmm...I'm not sure about this one. I love the large and graphic "grump, groan, growl" and the heavy black lines in the illustrations which all clearly express a bad mood. Maybe I just haven't talked kids through angry emotions enough, but I'm not sure I'm on board the "let it slide" train. It might help calm a child down, but I can't imagine reading this regularly.
Franny
Nov 20, 2009 Franny rated it it was ok
I love bell hooks and I adore her book Happy to be Nappy. But I found this one a little hard to follow, mostly because of the illustrations. I think younger children would enjoy leafing through the pages looking at the childlike illustrations though. So, still a good book to have in the library for Pre-K and K students...but not a must-have.
LaRaie Zimm
May 19, 2013 LaRaie Zimm rated it really liked it
This picture book, with illustration by Caldecott winner Chris Raschka, has the positive message that it's okay to be mad, angry, wild, and upset. I would use this in a storytime if I wanted a book about feelings or I would recommend this book to teachers and parents who would like a book about dealing with your emotions.
Samantha
Some days bad moods just take over. This vivid picture book takes readers through the emotions of a bad mood and advises them to just go with the flow and ride it out.

Watercolor paintings capture the essence of a bad mood and pair perfectly with the lyrical text. PreK-2.
Tom Franklin
Jul 17, 2016 Tom Franklin rated it it was ok
Not a fan of the line-heavy artwork. I know the artist was trying to go with illustrations that complemented the darker feelings described in the text, but the lack of subtlety was overbearing for me.
Marcus Fioravante
Jan 14, 2015 Marcus Fioravante rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-ya
I'll be real, even as an adult this book helps me get through bad moods. I'll say the poem to myself over and over again till my mood gets better.
Jim
Feb 12, 2015 Jim rated it really liked it
We all get in bad moods. What can we do about them? Sometimes nothing much but let them pass. Another great book for kids by bell hooks. With really cool art.
May 19, 2008 Laura rated it it was ok
Shelves: children
I like Rashka, but this book is kind of lame. The illustrations are kind of vague and the message isn't clear for kids.
Cat Fithian
Excellent, poetic read-aloud to deal with hard emotions. This would be a great companion to Mean Soup by Betsy Everitt.
Amanda
Jan 29, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
Great and simple message from bell hooks, lyrical, and would read out loud well. Engaging Raschka illustrations.
Rita
Oct 18, 2011 Rita rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-feelings
This is a good book to use to show the students positive ways to face our different types of moods. It reminds the readers that sometimes "you have to go inside and let if slide."
Amanda
Amanda rated it did not like it
May 23, 2008
Jackie
Jackie rated it really liked it
May 29, 2008
Dana
Dana rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Mean Soup
  • Lazy Daisy, Cranky Frankie: Bedtime on the Farm
  • Back to Front and Upside Down
  • Life-Size Zoo: From Tiny Rodents to Gigantic Elephants, An Actual Size Animal Encyclopedia
  • School's First Day of School
  • Charlie Parker Played Be Bop
  • Look Out, Suzy Goose
  • Small Elephant's Bathtime
  • Tia Isa Wants a Car
  • How Do You Hug a Porcupine?
  • Twenty Big Trucks in the Middle of the Street
  • Find a Cow Now!
  • Subway
  • Ninja, Ninja, Never Stop!
Bell Hooks (born Gloria Jean Watkins) is an African-American author, feminist, and social activist. Her writing has focused on the interconnectivity of race, class, and gender and their ability to produce and perpetuate systems of oppression and domination. She has published over thirty books and numerous scholarly and mainstream articles, appeared in several documentary films and participated in ...more
More about bell hooks...