Start by marking “Whaley Whale” as Want to Read:
Whaley Whale

Whaley Whale (Thingy Things)

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  117 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Two new series of small picture books introduce concepts and sports, respectively. The paper-over-board, hand-size Thingy Things series by Chris Raschka uses alliteration and word repetition to build reading skills; his swift brushstrokes and calligraphic lines match the text's minimalism. The main character of Moosey Moose is mad because he wants his long pants; that of W ...more
Published March 1st 2000 by Hyperion Books

To ask other readers questions about Whaley Whale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whaley Whale

karen
Oct 12, 2014 karen rated it really liked it
it's not easy for a whale to hide in a room with only four other objects in it. watch whaley whale try! don't read montambo's review, though -it's spoiltastic!!
Hailey White
This is a 2 star for me, but I'm giving it 3 stars because my 2 year old daughter wants to read this all the time! She likes to answer the questions aloud and I think it is simple enough for her to fully understand.
Teresa Bateman
Apr 08, 2014 Teresa Bateman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chris Raschka is known for his ability to get to the essence of things with minimal words and deceptively simple illustrations. He's hit the mark again in this new series that, frankly, should be board books. They're perfectly aimed at babies and toddlers who will want to read them again and again, and even these sturdy paper pages won't stand up to enthusiastic use. Where is Whaley Whale? Is she on the table? In the basket? Behind the door? Youngsters get a nice introduction to prepositions as ...more
Becky
Jun 14, 2014 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014reviews
Perhaps because of the small size, I thought that the "Thingy Thing" series by Chris Raschka was a board book series. It isn't. And I'm okay with that. I am. Picture books can come in all sizes. Whaley Whale is one of the books in the series. Whaley Whale is the heroine. She is playing hide-and-seek. It's the reader's job to "find" her.

The book is so very simple. It alternates between questions and answers.
"Is Whaley Whale on the table?"
"No Whaley Whale is not on the table."

For young children,
Kristen
How I love the Thingy Things series for the littlest ones! This is one of my favorites, because it's all about hide-n-seek. Even though the book itself is small, the art and text are large enough for a group read-aloud. Toddler heaven!
Mary
This is a seek and find book that is good for very young children. It has a feel similar to Goodnight Moon because the larger picture is broken up into smaller sections throughout the book as we search for Whaley Whale. Cute.
Nicole Zink
Apr 08, 2014 Nicole Zink rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This is a simple, interactive book for young children. Delightful illustrations and fun premise of hide and seek with a cute and playful whale. I adore this book and I'm looking forward to picking up the others in the series.
Shelli
May 15, 2014 Shelli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Whaley Whale is hiding, can you find him?? A fun interact picture book with adorable illustrations for little kiddos with even littler attention spans, or for fledgling readers.
Eija
Where is Whaley Whale???

Thingy Thing books by Chris Raschka are so simple and lovely and funny and weird.

We read them over and over again.

Jill
Aug 11, 2016 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish the book size were bigger--it's great for a toddler storytime, but it's smaller size might make it hard to use w/ larger audiences.
jeana
Jul 21, 2014 jeana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, children
This book is wonderful for very young children that are becoming familiar with words and meanings. It has wonderful illustrations.
Jodie
A whale plays hide and seek in this short easy to read book. Appropriate for preschool and early readers.
Brooke (i blog 4 books)
Super cute! Simple pictures and words. Perfect for babies and the shortest of attention spans!
Elizabeth
Jun 05, 2014 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jp-2014
This is a good book for little hands. I think it would be fun to read with a 2-3 year old.
Shannon
Aug 15, 2014 Shannon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Good for teaching positional words. I also like the pattern of endings in this series.
Amanda
So Silly. Might be good for littles for storytime?
Ecl  Storytellers
ADORBS. Too small for most storytimes though.
Kimberly
Perfect for tiny humans.
Elizabeth
Where is Whaley Whale hiding?
Samantha
Mar 03, 2012 Samantha rated it really liked it
Whaley Whale's hiding and it's up to you to find her! This is one of my favorites in this series. I like the places the reader is encouraged to explore and there are many opportunities for audience participation with this story as listeners are provided with many chances to yell out "no" and finally "yes" when Wahley Whale is found. So cute, very simple (fun illustration paired with simple text), great for sharing with the toddler crowd. Love this series of books, they crack me up!
Maggie
Reminiscent of Where's Spot, this early reader is delightful while still accessible for early readers.
Jean
May 10, 2015 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love these easy to read mini-books! Great for beginner readers!
Aubrey
Aubrey added it
Aug 23, 2016
Tima
Tima marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Jamie
Jamie added it
Aug 18, 2016
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
  • Scruffy
  • Bear in Underwear
  • Little Polar Bear and the Brave Little Hare
  • Little Quack's Bedtime
"I always try to treat the book itself as the artwork," Chris Raschka says. "I don't want you to stop while you're reading one of my books and say, 'Oh! What a gorgeous illustration!' I want you to stop at the end of the book and say, 'This is a good book.' "

Chris Raschka is one of those people who knew from an early age what he wanted to be when he grew up. "It was never a question in my mind,"
More about Chris Raschka...

Thingy Things (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Thingy Things, Volume 2: Lamby Lamb, Snaily Snail, Goosey Goose, and Doggy Dog (Read-Aloud Edition)
  • Thingy Things, Volume 1: Whaley Whale, Moosey Moose, Sluggy Slug, and Wormy Worm (Read-Aloud Edition)
  • Moosey Moose
  • Sluggy Slug
  • Lamby Lamb
  • Wormy Worm
  • Goosey Goose
  • Snaily Snail Board Book (Thingy Things)
  • Doggy Dog