Start by marking “Moving Target” as Want to Read:
Moving Target

Moving Target

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  763 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Ani King left her entire life behind when the Russian mafia brutally murdered her family. The Witness Security Program has kept her safe for two years, but with one simple phone call her cover is destroyed—and there is only one man left who can save her.

Published January 2nd 2008 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published November 9th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Moving Target, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moving Target

Something About You by Julie JamesA Lot like Love by Julie JamesWild Card by Lora LeighUnlawful Contact by Pamela ClareThe Darkest Hour by Maya Banks
I Love A Man In Uniform
149th out of 965 books — 948 voters
Mr. Perfect by Linda HowardHard Evidence by Pamela ClareUnlawful Contact by Pamela ClareAfter the Night by Linda HowardExtreme Exposure by Pamela Clare
Best Romantic Suspense
457th out of 1,295 books — 1,643 voters

More lists with this book...

Julie (jjmachshev)
"Moving Target" is a fast-paced romantic suspense that keeps your heart pumping from start to finish. Cheyenne McCray writes characters that feel real, like they could be someone you know or would like to know. For me, that's one of the reasons I enjoy her stories...well, that and the smoking sex!

Ani has been in hiding for two years now under the Witness Protection Program. Her testimony will put away the man who murdered the rest of her family and strike a blow against the Russian mafia in New...more
Christa
Moving Target was a very good fast paced romantic suspense novel. I enjoyed the story, and liked both the hero and heroine. Even though their connection to one another prohibited a personal relationship between them, neither the hero or heroine denied their deep feelings for one another. I find it refreshing when the characters admit they have feelings for one another without going through angst and denial first. Since their relationship was forbidden, the author could have turned up the unease...more
Auntee
Feb 28, 2008 Auntee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Romantic Suspense fans
I loved this book! It was one of the best romantic suspenses I've read in a while. It had everything I like in a RS: a feisty, brave heroine; a sexy, sweet and courageous hero; a disgusting villain; a hot romance; and an exciting, suspenseful premise.

The heroine witnesses the murder of her family by the Russian mafia, and narrowly escapes her own death. She's placed in the witness protection program and has to stay hidden from the mob for 2 years until she has to testify at the trial. During tha...more
Holly
Anistana King has been living in Bisbee, Arizona for the last year, almost two years since having witnessed the murder of her family by the Russian mob. She's been safely ensconced within the Witness Protection program, awaiting the day she can stand in court and testify. Her personal Inspector, US Marshall Daniel Parker has been her only link to her former life and she looks forward to his phone calls with joy and an ever growing amount of love. Two days before the trial, after having lived inc...more
Miss Kim
Mar 17, 2009 Miss Kim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Miss Kim by: Kathrynn, JJ, Auntee
I liked Ms. McCray's Moving Target. I've had it my TBR for a while, and was happy I ended up liking it so well.It's actually a quick read, but I kept getting interrupted so it stretched out over the course of a few days, and I would lose my momentum. Arg! I'm looking forward to more from her. The HEA was so sweet! I wonder if her sister will get her own story?
Kathrynn
Feb 17, 2009 Kathrynn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kathrynn by: Auntee
Felt this book had the potential to be a solid 5 stars, but there was a lot of repetition and fluff that had me wrinkling my nose a bit.

The two main characters, Daniel and Ani were good and well-developed. A few times the dialogue between the two got hokey for me. Ani, understandably, was very emotional and cried...often. But, some parts seemed to much like "eye-rolling-stuff-only-found-in-a-romance-book." And it was.

The book involved Ani going under the Witness Protection Program due to witnes...more
Shawna
5 stars – Romantic Suspense

Moving Target is a terrific romantic suspense read. It had all the essential elements that I love in a good romantic suspense novel, including an intriguing and thrilling plot that unfolds like a movie, a sexy, tough, protective, brave hero, a spirited, sweet, courageous heroine, a truly malicious villain, and scorching hot romance. It’s a very suspenseful, action-packed, steamy read that had me addicted from beginning to end. I look forward to reading more novels by a...more
♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
I saw the stupendous reviews for this book. I figured that since I love suspense and law enforcement, this book would be A-Ok with me.

I was so, so wrong.

I wanted to stop about 80 pages or so into the book. Ok, let me be truthful. I wanted to stop about 10 pages or so into the book.

Why? Because of our heroine, Ani King. Ani is in witness protection and she has been for two years. Two years in WITSEC means that Ani knows the deal. This is important because Ani's on the run from the Russian mob, wh...more
Amy
When my favorite author, Cherry Adair, writes "suspenseful, edgy, and red hot sexy" to describe this book and author Cheyenne McCray, I figure it has to be awesome.

I think someone misquoted Cherry. Or out-and-out made it up.

This book was sincerely mediocre. The dialogue stunk. The plot was beyond unbelievable. And how many times can people in a book say the words "Russian Mafia"? It was about 1,004 times too many.

I'd also like to know why so many men and women in so many romances get so caugh...more
Barbara ★
Ani King is testifying against the Russion Mafia and is in the witness protection program. Her handler (so to speak) is US Marshall Daniel Parker. During the two years before the trial, Ani and Daniel talk every week and develop a relationship. While travelling from Arizona to New York for the trial, the mafia does it's damndest to kill Ani and everyone near her. During this life threatening time, Danial and Ani fall in love.

This book is loaded with action and danger as every time they turn arou...more
Kerry  sullivan
This book was reviewed for musings of a bookworm

The synopsis
Ani King left her entire life behind when the Russian mafia brutally murdered her family. The Witness Security Program has kept her safe for two years, but with one simple phone call her cover is destroyed and there is only one man left who can save her.
Protecting the brave, beautiful Ani became more than just a job a long time ago for Deputy Marshal Daniel Parker. And now, just days before the trial where she's slated to give a damnin...more
Kim_bab
aku jadi penasaran, napa ren tanya, "kuat ga baca novelnya chey??" aku jadi penasaran dunkkkkk =)) sekarang aku aku tau maksudmu ren haghaghaghag

Ani King selama 2 tahun harus tinggal di safe house setelah menjadi saksi pembunuhan keluarganya yg dilakukan oleh mafia rusia (mengingatkanku akan novel lain <3). tetapi karena kesalahan kecil,tempat persembunyiannya terdeksi oleh mafia rusia tersebut, akibatnya ani harus menyelamatkan diri di bantu oleh Deputy Marshal Daniel Parker yang seksoy(kay...more
Colleen
I guess I'm the odd ball out. I chose to read this book because of the great reviews. It definitely had it's moments, but for the most part I found myself frustrated by how cheesy & hokey it was. It had action, definitely a lot of action and it had sex, very detailed sex. I'm not against that, but I definitely have to be in the mood for a book like this. I guess I just wasn't in the mood because this book didn't do a thing for me.
Jen
Great stuff! Some truly palpable chemistry between Daniel and Ani, and truly horrid villains (ah, these ruthless Russians) makes for an addictive read. Though I have to say, it wasn't as suspenseful as I'd imagined or rather, hoped. There was potential in that, I think.
Cheryl Meares
I really like Ani and Daniels story. Ani who witnesses her family murdered by the mafie is in Witness Protection and when she makes a fatal error by calling Daniel, the two are brought together my a series of events that will rock the pages out of the book.

Cindy
The original plot device to start the plot was way past annoying... The rest was pretty good but I found it hard to deal with heroine's stupidity. Very well written otherwise.
Stephanie
Steamy page turner! What a fantastic book!

RomReader
Heroine, who's been part of witness-protection program the last 2 years, unknowingly puts her life in danger when she calls an old friend 2 weeks before testifying in court against the son of notorious Russian mafia who murdered her family. The US-Marshall agent who she's been getting close to via regular phone calls in the last 2 years rushes to her aid. Both eventually succumb to their strong attraction to each other in midst of getting her safe from repeated close calls on her life.

McCray kno...more
Ladiibbug
Mar 07, 2009 Ladiibbug rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Romantic Suspense Fans: Steamy
Romantic Suspense (Steamy!) - Stand Alone

Very entertaining - After two years hiding in the Witness Protection Program, it's time for Ani to finally testify against the Russian Mafia guy who killed her father, mother, and sister, and seriously wounded Ani.

But Ani makes a critical mistake -- one unauthorized phone call to a person from her past is all it takes for the mobsters to finally pinpoint Ani's location. Mob assassins swoop in, multiple car chases, shoot outs, and suspense ensues.

Good guy...more
Borderstar
Did not finish - 1.5 stars
I don't normally add a rating to a book I don't finish, as I feel it's not fair if I haven't completed the book, but in this case I think it is valid for me to rate it, as I got 75% of the way through the story and no matter how good the ending might be, it couldn't make up for the first 3/4.

This started off well enough with a relatively interesting, although in no way unique, storyline... but it just dragged.

At half way in it seemed like really we were almost at the en...more
Hope Frost
In an effort for full disclosure, I have been in a reading slump lately. Not much has kept my attention, and there have been several books I have started and not finished. Luckily, THIS isn't one of those books. I loved this one from cover to cover. There is nonstop action and hotness between Ani and Daniel. Up against all odds, she had backbone and gumption and steel determination. Daniel tried, he really tried to see her as only his charge, but all those weekly phone calls, really cemented her...more
Alethea LaReina Rivera
I enjoyed reading this book, but it was very predictable. And way tooo much corniness for my taste. It just didn't feel like the words Daniel spoke was coming from a marshal, but a nerdy kid. There were parts that kept me intrigued, but then there were also some parts that just seemed to.. ugh! But don't get me wrong, it wasn't an awful story! That's why I gave it three stars, because I did like it. Just didn't think it was amazing.
Bethel
I did not read this book, the one I read was by J. A. Jance. I liked it, but not as much as the JP Beaumont or Joanna Brady series.
I chose this book randomly from the library shelf, so I deserve what I got. It was a fast read and kudos to McCray for her research on PTSD and the Federal Marshals. Unfortunately the plot is knocking on the "yeah right" end of the believable scale. You can only have so many shoot outs, car chases, and explosions before a decent romance novel becomes the script for a bad action movie. This book tries to bridge the gap between romance and thriller but falls short of either. Two stars because I di...more
Carol
great book fast moving
ZaBeth
Feb 22, 2009 ZaBeth rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to ZaBeth by: Julie (jjmachshev) Anderson
A typical Russian mobster's attempts to kill a witness are hampered by a determined U.S. Marshall, Daniel Parker, who discovers that his drive to protect Ani King go way beyond his commitment to the job.

Ani and Daniel are strong likable characters. The bad guys are bad. The threats are threatening. While I found this to be a good quick read it was a rather predictable mobster story.

What saved this book for me was the incredible hot, passion between Ani and Daniel. Those two know how to turn up...more
Jenn
Moving Target was my first read from this Author, and I did enjoy it. I would give it a 3.5.This book was a fast pace read, which is always good. I loved that action in this book, and I was pleasantly surprised that Ani made it to testify on both days. I love when a book isn't predictable because I thought that they were going to kidnap the sister or shoot her like the Judge that Daniel was protecting years ago and I was wrong. I did love the epilogue, it was sweet:)
Sherry
Nov 16, 2008 Sherry rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: suspense/romance
Recommended to Sherry by: random
A good read that involved adventure, murder and mayhem. Although the story was adventurous and the characters well defined, Moving Target seemed to lack that ability to draw me completely into the story itself. I did appreciate the well defined villain(s) in the story; Cheyenne McCray does understand that a well defined villain is as important as the hero/heroine. Worthy of putting on the TBR pile and I’m looking forward to reading more of her books.
Patty

Fast paced read. Suspense kept me hooked in.

Storyline: "Ani King left her entire life behind when the Russian mafia brutally murdered her family, in a fire. The Witness Security Program has kept her safe for two years, but with one simple phone call her cover is destroyed—and there is only one man left who can save her. Protecting the brave, beautiful Ani became more than just a job a long time ago for Deputy Marshal Daniel Parker".
Amy
What do the Russian Mob, the Witness Security Program and a sexy US Marshall named Daniel Parker have to do with Ani King? LOTS!

Ani King left her entire life behind after her fmaily was brutally murdered by the Russian Mob 2 years ago. During this time, the Witness Security Program (WITSEC) has kept her save, but that all changes. With one simple phone call, her cover is blown and there is only one man left who can save her!

• Dark and Dangerous
  • Pursuit
  • Caught (Gemini Men, #1)
  • Long, Lean and Lethal (FBI #2)
  • Never Say Never (Callahan Brothers, #2)
  • Hot Night
  • Shoot to Thrill (Passion For Danger, #1)
  • Woman on the Run
  • Naked Truth
  • One Scream Away (Sheridan, #1)
  • Ready
  • Out Of Her League (Suspense Series, #1)
  • Fragile (Rafferty, #1)
  • Freefall (High Risk #1)
  • Under Fire
  • No Regrets (Delta Force, #1)
  • Waking Nightmare (Mindhunters, #1)
  • Last Chance (Last Chance Rescue, #6)
"New York Times" and "USA Today" bestselling author Cheyenne McCray is the author of several series, including the new "Lawmen" series which debuted with the book "Hidden Prey."

Join Chey on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/CheyenneMcCr...
Chey's new Lawmen Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/CheyenneMcCr...

Chey has three sons, two dogs, and is an Arizona native who loves the desert and all of...more
More about Cheyenne McCray...
Forbidden Magic (Magic, #1) Demons Not Included (Night Tracker, #1) Seduced by Magic (Magic, #2) Wicked Magic (Magic, #3) No Werewolves Allowed (Night Tracker, #2)

“Sometimes you know that no one can replace the person you love, and your heart will never be the same.” 13 likes
“Jenn: Do you love him?
Ani: Yeah, I do.
Jenn: Then you can forgive him. It's not worth it to let love slip through your hands.”
6 likes