Start by marking “What's The Deal?: Jefferson, Napoleon, And The Louisiana Purchase” as Want to Read:
What's The Deal?: Jefferson, Napoleon, And The Louisiana Purchase

What's The Deal?: Jefferson, Napoleon, And The Louisiana Purchase

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  6 reviews
This entertaining saga brings to life the intense negotiations between Napoleon and Jefferson over this legendary land deal. Art from the period, maps, a timeline, endnotes, a bibliography, and index give young readers all the resources they need to understand the period in which the Purchase took place.
Published (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about What's The Deal?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's The Deal?

Katharine
This book is a very interesting and enlightening account of how Jefferson beat the great Napoleon. I am so glad I have this resource for my homeschool.
Pam
Feb 07, 2013 Pam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: history, ya
If you are interested in American history as it relates to New Orleans and the Louisiana Purchase, this is the book for you! I highly recommend it to older children and adults. It is an excellent overview of how the US came to own Louisiann with just the right about of detail. The maps, historical paintings and cartoons, which illustrate the text, are excellent as well. This book is an example of Rhoda Blumberg at her finest!
Gemma
Wonderful! Picking up a book on the Lousiana purchase didn't strike the kids as the most interesting subject, but what this book has done a wonderful job with is showing the complexity of history, tying together so many different events in history that we've already studied, and has been fuel for a lot of great conversation! I'll be using more of Rhonda Blumberg's books in the future.
Andrea
This book gave me a greater understanding of how we our country ended up with the "Louisiana Purchase". That one decision by Napoleon made a huge impact on history.
Crystal
Very interesting so far. Discusses the beginnings of partisan politics, Citizen Genet, the XYZ affair, and other fun historic moments in the early 1800's.
Rickey
Interesting study of many different factors in the negotiation
Ann
Tommy
Tommy added it
Feb 16, 2015
Jack
Jack marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Tana
Tana marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
K
K added it
Sep 06, 2014
Ana M
Ana M marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Keila Dawson
Keila Dawson marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2013
Luke
Luke is currently reading it
Nov 22, 2013
Laurel
Laurel added it
Sep 27, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2013
Tessa
Tessa marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2013
Gabriel Villabon
Gabriel Villabon marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2013
Sally Knapp
Sally Knapp marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2013
Amy Whittlesey
Amy Whittlesey marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2013
Rhoda Blumberg has written about the opening of Japan (1853-1854) in Commodore Perry in the Land of the Shogun, a Newbery Honor Book, which also won the Boston Globe/Horn Book Award and the Golden Kite Award. Her acclaimed histories also include The Incredible Journey of Lewis & Clark, The Great American Gold Rush, and The Remarkable Voyages of Captain Cook, all ALA Notable Books. She is the w ...more
More about Rhoda Blumberg...
Commodore Perry in the Land of the Shogun Shipwrecked!: The True Adventures of a Japanese Boy Bloomers! York's Adventures with Lewis and Clark: An African-American's Part in the Great Expedition The Incredible Journey of  Lewis and Clark