Start by marking “Content Strategy for the Web” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Content Strategy for t...

Kristina Halvorson

Content Strategy for the Web

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  1,173 ratings  ·  88 reviews
This is the eBook version of the printed book.

If you're like most organizations, your content problems seem insurmountable. Unanswered questions keep you up at night: How much content do you have? Where does it live? What does it say? Who owns it? Is it helping your business and satisfying your users?
Maybe you've tried a site redesign, a new CMS, and host of other extensi
ebook, Second Edition, 215 pages
Published February 28th 2012 by New Riders Publishing (first published February 10th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Content Strategy for the Web, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Content Strategy for the Web

Marko Savić
The most important thing I realised, when I read this book is:
You are on the web => You are publisher.

Well the author said that if you or your organization has a web site, then you are a publisher but I guess my claim could also hold in this web 2.0 times (or are we already 3.0?). One other thing to keep in mind is that this is not a book about web writing. It's about content strategy - for the web.

Content strategy consists of:
+ creation, + delivery, + governance.

This book more specifically
Paul Signorelli
Kristina Halvorson, in "Content Strategy for the Web," offers a concise and well produced introduction to a subject of interest to those of us involved in workplace learning and performance (training)--and anyone else interested in knowing how to reach online audiences effectively through well designed and engaging content. The book itself is an example of what it promotes: rich content provided in a graphically interesting format that leaves readers with "a high-level overview of the benefits, ...more
Rob
Very good introduction to content strategy, but if you've worked in magazines, content strategy simply feels like a way to sell 'online publishing'.

I'm being simplistic, but the whole mystique around content strategy feels a bit emperors new clothes to me.

That's not to say that Halvorson's book isn't well written and all-encompassing, I just think Content Strategy as a whole should be renamed 'how to create and run a website for Dummies'.
Morgan Craft
Content Strategy for the Web was a great overview of learning the process of content strategy at a large organization. Having worked at a large NYC based digital strategy agency most of the concepts in this book were familiar. Even the look of the site and content maps were familiar from what I've seen presented and used in client meetings. So the accuracy of this book for portraying the decisions and the workflow of how a large organization needs to handle content creation is outlined nicely. T ...more
Tamara
I truly have no understanding of the different roles people play and the different workflows that exist within large firms that handle the creation of web sites & web presences. (Information architecture, user experience design, graphic design, programmers, etc. They're all a mystery to me.) That was my biggest problem while reading through this book. I think the 2-person team I work in makes it hard to think of the different roles that could be played if we had more manpower.

Nonetheless, t
Stringy
Got a website full of old, useless or just flat out wrong content? You need a content strategy to help you clean it up, and create a plan so that it doesn't happen again. And this book will show you how to figure one out.

Covering research, design, creation and evaluation of content, Halvorson assumes you're working with a large website. But the principles are the same, no matter how large or small the project. You need to know your audience and your goals, and come up with a plan for acheiving t
Shawn Manaher
Content Strategy for the Web sets the stage for Content Strategy to be implemented for any company by helping individuals to understand what it is, why it is important, how it can be created, who is involved, how it is managed, etc.

The writing is professional, engaging, and uses the right amount of humour to keep things lively. It reads like a story and has been structured helping users to quickly jump from one topic and section to the next.

The only reason I would give this book a 4 instead of a
Chad Warner
Jan 10, 2015 Chad Warner rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: content strategists, digital marketers, website managers
Recommended to Chad by: Paul Boag
This content strategy primer has both theory and application. It explains the problem, how to perform discovery, how to form strategy, and how to implement the strategy. It's well-organized and well-written, with just enough humor for this type of book.

The book makes the business case for content strategy with reasons such as the following: "Good UX requires good content." "Good content will increase audience trust and engagement, which in turn will help your bottom line." "People don't come to
Esteban Mulki
Un himno a la burocracia, solamente sostenible en proyectos web megalómanos. Si estás buscando leer sobre una innumerable cantidad de puestos de trabajo de alta especificidad, procesos complejos bien documentados y listados de tareas engorrosas, esta es tu opción. Para proyectos chicos probablemente no tenga ninguna utilidad ni aplicación práctica. Sirve como guía teórica para recorrer un ideal de trabajo muy dificil de llevar a cabo en el 99% de los proyectos web.
Dhuaine
Great overview of content strategy for beginners - it starts with the basics and moves to pro stuff for very large organizations. It's more theoretical than practical though, or that was impression while reading it... Unless you're someone important and/or dedicated content strategist, you won't have opportunity to roll out the big guns described in this book. Thankfully, scaled down approach would be very useful for smaller websites. :)
Mike
Engaging from the get-go. Kristina doesn't mess around - she directly engages with her reader, and wants you to know she understands the problem space and that she's got some immediate things for you to do. No f***ing around.

And I see exactly how her lessons will immediately benefit me - I'll be able to deliver a "content strategy" to my boss in the next week or two, as soon as I get past Chapter One.
Sonny
If you ask Kristina Halvorson, she'll tell you that the book is dated and not to read it. She feels that content strategy has moved on. But in talking to her, it was not clear to what. For my part, I felt the book - or at least the first 90% of it - was a good introduction to structuring the creation of a content strategy for websites.
Sean
I would say this book works nicely for designers or developers that need to work with copy writers to develop content. If you're a copy writer or deal with content for a living, this is probably a nice short read that may give you an idea or two on tightening up your game.
John
A quick read but deserves time to process. Very concise compact chapters that deliver. I'm going to keep this around for reference. A required book for those interested in creating websites and writing for the web.
Karen Mardahl
I read this book in 2010. Now I am reading the 2nd edition for my UX Book Club. Times have changed. I have changed. I look forward to re-discovering and re-exploring ideas from this book. I'm going to read it on Readmill.

This is an important book - a must-read if you are in any way into content strategy. I call this an umbrella book. It's the overarching one to read, especially at a high-level. It has some of the arguments to bring to the C-level. It also has the planning info for getting starte
Erin Hutson
If you're even remotely interested in copywriting, content strategy, web strategy, or UX, read this book! Content strategy is something that I've never touched on in any of my classes but that is super important to consider in the digital age, and I didn't even realize what it was before this! I'd also recommend this to any APR student who is more interested in the advertising side of things. :)
Isla McKetta
I've been doing content strategy for awhile and I so wish I'd read this book before ever starting. It's a great intro and I felt like I learned a lot from the way they put together their information.
David
I chose to read this book because this is my new area of work and I was asked to elaborate a content strategy for a new project. I can say the book helped a great deal although don't expect to find a lists of steps in a how-to fashion or a template with directions. This is big-picture stuff (strategy after all...) which leads you in the right direction with the author's expertise.

I will keep this book handy as a constant reference as I continue expanding my knowledge in content management and st
Philippe Heckly
Kristina is the content wrangler. She lets no mavericks get away and shows you how it's done.
Danielle Henry
Best book of its kind. Covers all the points and is clearly written with content in mind. :)
Pat East
This book is a must-read if you are thrown into a decision making position in an organization, especially if those decisions have to do with a website. While this book emphasizes strategy for dealing with content on the web, there is something to be taken away regarding general content, workflow, and organization strategy.

Possibly the best part of this book is the sections at the very end which talk about building support for your case. Many books just assume that you can make wide, sweeping dec
Kay Davis
Halvorson provides a decent overview of content strategy for Web sites. She describes content strategy as a four-step process:

Reality: identifying problems, describing needs, and proposing solutions.

Discovery: Comparing what you have with what you need, aligning proposed strategies with project goals, and analyzing results.

Strategy: Applying content strategy, shaping substance and structure of content, scheduling workflow, and determining who will oversee content development.

Success: Gaining buy
Erica McGillivray
Super helpful for those getting started our wrapping their brains around all things content strategy.
Alea
It's fun to read a book for school that has some humor in it for a change.
Wendy White
This book practises exactly what it preaches - the writing is clear, concise, and well-thought out. If you only read one book on writing for the web, this is it. It is a great summary of all the research and tactics you need to make your web content useful for the people reading it.

Content life cycle, maintenance, governance and planning are all covered here.

Kristina Halvorson is an experienced and intelligent content strategist whose work I have followed for some time. Looking forward to her f
Anastasia Kladova
For someone who wants to go where intersection between UX and copy writing is.
Kevin Buckley
Feb 24, 2013 Kevin Buckley rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Content Strategists, Content Authors
Killer, constant greatness -

So far, the premier book I have read in this area -

Loved the quirky, conversational style by the co-authors -

Feel fortunate a presenter about Content cited this - bought on Amazon the next day - and POW! I feel I am well on my way to building a base in Content Strategy.

Would eagerly await other titles by this due....but when something like this is written, why bother writing anything else?

How some people gave this less than 5 stars, I can't comprehend.
Wm
Excellent. Short, but covers all the key points. And Halvorson isn't afraid to mention other books for when you need to take a deeper dive. Cogent, coherent, doable, practical advice. Bottom line: content has to be a key area of focus all the way through when it comes to web development.

Best bit: a chart that shows what tends to happen (negatively) to web content when certain areas (such as Marketing or IT or UI or Operations) have monopoly control over the content.
Anetq
Very hands on manual for managing your content - and managing the people involved in managing the content - and the people who decides if there are ressources to manage your content. Excellent & very hands-on: "start here - no do not skip this, it's important because..."
For anyone creating, managing or weeding out web-content (and aren't we all these days?) - this is a must read!
Kristian Norling
If you think that on most websites and intranets it is hard to find the right Information, or that when you find it, you do not understand it or it seems intended for someone else?

If you are a web or intranet manager, in communications or marketing, then you must read this book.

It explains both how to and why of content strategy. What are you waiting for? Go read the book now!
So, what are the beginners' books for content marketing? 1 3 Apr 05, 2013 03:16PM
  • The Elements of Content Strategy
  • Letting Go of the Words: Writing Web Content that Works
  • Clout: The Art and Science of Influential Web Content
  • Content Strategy for Mobile
  • Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks
  • Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web Sites
  • The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web
  • Mental Models: Aligning Design Strategy with Human Behavior
  • A Project Guide to UX Design: For User Experience Designers in the Field or in the Making
  • Designing for Emotion
  • Responsive Web Design
  • Information Architecture: Blueprints for the Web
  • Managing Enterprise Content: A Unified Content Strategy
  • Storytelling For User Experience: Crafting Stories For Better Design
  • Seductive Interaction Design: Creating Playful, Fun, and Effective User Experiences
  • Card Sorting
  • Handbook of Usability Testing: How to Plan, Design, and Conduct Effective Tests
One Hundred Women The Elements of Content Strategy Content Strategy at Work: Real-world Stories to Strengthen Every Interactive Project Ten-Minute Plays From The Guthrie Theater ((Volume #1) Ten-Minute Plays From The Guthrie Theater ((Volume #3)

“Quality, relevant content can't be spotted by an algorithm. You can't subscribe to it. You need people - actual human beings - to create or curate it.” 9 likes
“In my experience, the content strategist is a rare breed who's often willing and able to embrace whatever role is necessary to deliver on the promise of useful, useable content.” 5 likes