Start by marking “Content Strategy for the Web” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Content Strategy for t...

Kristina Halvorson

Content Strategy for the Web

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,615 Ratings  ·  102 Reviews
This is the eBook version of the printed book.

If you're like most organizations, your content problems seem insurmountable. Unanswered questions keep you up at night: How much content do you have? Where does it live? What does it say? Who owns it? Is it helping your business and satisfying your users?
Maybe you've tried a site redesign, a new CMS, and host of other extensi
ebook, Second Edition, 215 pages
Published February 28th 2012 by New Riders Publishing (first published February 10th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Content Strategy for the Web, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Content Strategy for the Web

Marko Savić
Mar 17, 2011 Marko Savić rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The most important thing I realised, when I read this book is:
You are on the web => You are publisher.

Well the author said that if you or your organization has a web site, then you are a publisher but I guess my claim could also hold in this web 2.0 times (or are we already 3.0?). One other thing to keep in mind is that this is not a book about web writing. It's about content strategy - for the web.

Content strategy consists of:
+ creation, + delivery, + governance.

This book more specifically
Paul Signorelli
Kristina Halvorson, in "Content Strategy for the Web," offers a concise and well produced introduction to a subject of interest to those of us involved in workplace learning and performance (training)--and anyone else interested in knowing how to reach online audiences effectively through well designed and engaging content. The book itself is an example of what it promotes: rich content provided in a graphically interesting format that leaves readers with "a high-level overview of the benefits, ...more
Rob
Jun 14, 2011 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good introduction to content strategy, but if you've worked in magazines, content strategy simply feels like a way to sell 'online publishing'.

I'm being simplistic, but the whole mystique around content strategy feels a bit emperors new clothes to me.

That's not to say that Halvorson's book isn't well written and all-encompassing, I just think Content Strategy as a whole should be renamed 'how to create and run a website for Dummies'.
Anna
Apr 07, 2016 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm so thankful for this book. Content has always been an issue for me. I've been asked to create websites several times for others, but I usually don't get any specific instruction on what content there should be. People don't seem that interested, and it frustrates me. I also long for more feedback, not just that it "looks good" or that it's "fine", when I'm fully aware that it may not be fine. I keep thinking, has anyone even read the information on the site? They have nothing to say about it ...more
Alyssa
Jun 06, 2016 Alyssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent content strategy overview. This book has a bit of everything from start to finish in working on developing and rolling out a content strategy project. I especially loved the questions it asks you to consider for your situation when working on each part of the strategy. Great, conversational tone and easy-to-understand writing doesn't further complicate what can be a complex subject. My only minor quibble is that it is heavily web-focused (obviously, it's in the title). But anyone with ...more
Ilona
Jan 31, 2016 Ilona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book dedicated for mostly puting out fires: it answers all questions a content strategist can have when they are hired to fix a strategy of a company that reaches millions in revenue but in their website still sometimes have bits of "Lorem ipsum".

Not so much relatable for companies that are starting out and want to do right by their content, or to companies that have less than 5000 pieces of content but still want it arranged neatly.

Really useful and easy to read, shining with light humor now
Morgan Craft
Mar 04, 2011 Morgan Craft rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Content Strategy for the Web was a great overview of learning the process of content strategy at a large organization. Having worked at a large NYC based digital strategy agency most of the concepts in this book were familiar. Even the look of the site and content maps were familiar from what I've seen presented and used in client meetings. So the accuracy of this book for portraying the decisions and the workflow of how a large organization needs to handle content creation is outlined nicely. T ...more
Tamara
I truly have no understanding of the different roles people play and the different workflows that exist within large firms that handle the creation of web sites & web presences. (Information architecture, user experience design, graphic design, programmers, etc. They're all a mystery to me.) That was my biggest problem while reading through this book. I think the 2-person team I work in makes it hard to think of the different roles that could be played if we had more manpower.

Nonetheless, t
Stringy
Got a website full of old, useless or just flat out wrong content? You need a content strategy to help you clean it up, and create a plan so that it doesn't happen again. And this book will show you how to figure one out.

Covering research, design, creation and evaluation of content, Halvorson assumes you're working with a large website. But the principles are the same, no matter how large or small the project. You need to know your audience and your goals, and come up with a plan for acheiving t
Shawn Manaher
Sep 05, 2012 Shawn Manaher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Content Strategy for the Web sets the stage for Content Strategy to be implemented for any company by helping individuals to understand what it is, why it is important, how it can be created, who is involved, how it is managed, etc.

The writing is professional, engaging, and uses the right amount of humour to keep things lively. It reads like a story and has been structured helping users to quickly jump from one topic and section to the next.

The only reason I would give this book a 4 instead of a
Jacki
Apr 20, 2016 Jacki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could marry this book right now: that's how much I love it. This is a fantastic guide on how to get started on the job I was hired to do. Thrilled to learn that a number of the things I've gotten in motion were recommended moves, and to have gotten pointers on where to go next. hallelujah.
Chad Warner
Jan 10, 2015 Chad Warner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: content strategists, digital marketers, website managers
Recommended to Chad by: Paul Boag
This content strategy primer has both theory and application. It explains the problem, how to perform discovery, how to form strategy, and how to implement the strategy. It's well-organized and well-written, with just enough humor for this type of book.

The book makes the business case for content strategy with reasons such as the following: "Good UX requires good content." "Good content will increase audience trust and engagement, which in turn will help your bottom line." "People don't come to
Esteban Mulki
Un himno a la burocracia, solamente sostenible en proyectos web megalómanos. Si estás buscando leer sobre una innumerable cantidad de puestos de trabajo de alta especificidad, procesos complejos bien documentados y listados de tareas engorrosas, esta es tu opción. Para proyectos chicos probablemente no tenga ninguna utilidad ni aplicación práctica. Sirve como guía teórica para recorrer un ideal de trabajo muy dificil de llevar a cabo en el 99% de los proyectos web.
Dhuaine
May 17, 2012 Dhuaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
Great overview of content strategy for beginners - it starts with the basics and moves to pro stuff for very large organizations. It's more theoretical than practical though, or that was impression while reading it... Unless you're someone important and/or dedicated content strategist, you won't have opportunity to roll out the big guns described in this book. Thankfully, scaled down approach would be very useful for smaller websites. :)
Mike
Nov 30, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Engaging from the get-go. Kristina doesn't mess around - she directly engages with her reader, and wants you to know she understands the problem space and that she's got some immediate things for you to do. No f***ing around.

And I see exactly how her lessons will immediately benefit me - I'll be able to deliver a "content strategy" to my boss in the next week or two, as soon as I get past Chapter One.
Sonny
Jun 27, 2011 Sonny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you ask Kristina Halvorson, she'll tell you that the book is dated and not to read it. She feels that content strategy has moved on. But in talking to her, it was not clear to what. For my part, I felt the book - or at least the first 90% of it - was a good introduction to structuring the creation of a content strategy for websites.
Christopher J Sparks
Aug 02, 2015 Christopher J Sparks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: webcraft
I had only ever heard of content strategy in reference to thinking about IA before you build nav rather than as a position or line of though unto itself. Content Strategy is a useful book that also happens to be accessible and written in a humorous tone. If I could do it all over again I would wish that this book would have come into my life much earlier in my career. It is worth noting that the concepts of this text are centered around rather large organizations such as Facebook, so some of the ...more
Sean
Jan 21, 2011 Sean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would say this book works nicely for designers or developers that need to work with copy writers to develop content. If you're a copy writer or deal with content for a living, this is probably a nice short read that may give you an idea or two on tightening up your game.
John
A quick read but deserves time to process. Very concise compact chapters that deliver. I'm going to keep this around for reference. A required book for those interested in creating websites and writing for the web.
Paul Mirek
Considering this book's broad title, it might be surprising to find that it comes in just under the 200-page mark. Luckily, nearly every page is filled with indispensable advice on conceptualizing, formalizing, and implementing a robust content strategy.
Halvorson and Rach do a great job of combining an aspirational attitude (sometimes we content specialists need a little affirmation) with a realistic overview of the obstacles many organizations face in this area. Luckily, the authors also provi
Scott
Aug 07, 2015 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book came highly recommended by a friend and former colleague of mine when I asked her what she'd recommend as a thorough overview of what Content Strategy means in digital marketing today. I'm very glad I read it. The authors do an amazing job of breaking down a tremendously complex area of expertise into succinct, digestible sections. I'd give it five stars were it not for the fact that it failed to hold my attention towards the end. I got a lot of great ideas around process and organizin ...more
Karen Mardahl
Jun 16, 2013 Karen Mardahl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in 2010. Now I am reading the 2nd edition for my UX Book Club. Times have changed. I have changed. I look forward to re-discovering and re-exploring ideas from this book. I'm going to read it on Readmill.

This is an important book - a must-read if you are in any way into content strategy. I call this an umbrella book. It's the overarching one to read, especially at a high-level. It has some of the arguments to bring to the C-level. It also has the planning info for getting starte
Simone
Un ottimo testo per inquadrare e focalizzare il problema dei contenuti. Il contenuto à il valore centrale per costruire il successo di un'attività editoriale sul lungo periodo, fare questo sul web significa confrontarsi con dinamiche e problemi che richiedono un aproccio strategico.

Questo libro fornisce tutti gli strumenti cognitivi e metodologici per affrontare la questione.
Erin Hutson
Jul 09, 2014 Erin Hutson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're even remotely interested in copywriting, content strategy, web strategy, or UX, read this book! Content strategy is something that I've never touched on in any of my classes but that is super important to consider in the digital age, and I didn't even realize what it was before this! I'd also recommend this to any APR student who is more interested in the advertising side of things. :)
Alexey
Mar 29, 2016 Alexey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite a short book with a lot of obvious things. And still, even if you're a seasoned web-content pro, you'd be able to find few insights about this book. The most important is the strategic view you get over your contents. But the book is not worth its price, unfortunately.
Isla McKetta
Sep 18, 2014 Isla McKetta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been doing content strategy for awhile and I so wish I'd read this book before ever starting. It's a great intro and I felt like I learned a lot from the way they put together their information.
David
Mar 28, 2015 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I chose to read this book because this is my new area of work and I was asked to elaborate a content strategy for a new project. I can say the book helped a great deal although don't expect to find a lists of steps in a how-to fashion or a template with directions. This is big-picture stuff (strategy after all...) which leads you in the right direction with the author's expertise.

I will keep this book handy as a constant reference as I continue expanding my knowledge in content management and st
Katie Lantukh
Sep 24, 2015 Katie Lantukh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book on web content strategy! I highlighted, took notes and plan to re-read at least quarterly! Highly recommend!
Megan
Dec 17, 2015 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So helpful when starting my new position at the library I work at. I loved this book! It helped me identify who I would consider an ally among my coworkers, what their roles are, and provided guidance for planning my goals.
Philippe Heckly
May 03, 2015 Philippe Heckly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kristina is the content wrangler. She lets no mavericks get away and shows you how it's done.
So, what are the beginners' books for content marketing? 1 3 Apr 05, 2013 03:16PM
  • The Elements of Content Strategy
  • Clout: The Art and Science of Influential Web Content
  • Letting Go of the Words: Writing Web Content that Works
  • Content Strategy for Mobile
  • Content Strategy at Work: Real-world Stories to Strengthen Every Interactive Project
  • Card Sorting
  • Content Everywhere: Strategy and Structure for Future-Ready Content
  • Managing Enterprise Content: A Unified Content Strategy
  • Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks
  • Information Architecture: Blueprints for the Web
  • Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web Sites
  • A Project Guide to UX Design: For User Experience Designers in the Field or in the Making
  • Handbook of Usability Testing: How to Plan, Design, and Conduct Effective Tests
  • Designing for the Digital Age: How to Create Human-Centered Products and Services
  • Mental Models: Aligning Design Strategy with Human Behavior
  • Designing Social Interfaces
  • Storytelling For User Experience: Crafting Stories For Better Design

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

“Quality, relevant content can't be spotted by an algorithm. You can't subscribe to it. You need people - actual human beings - to create or curate it.” 9 likes
“In my experience, the content strategist is a rare breed who's often willing and able to embrace whatever role is necessary to deliver on the promise of useful, useable content.” 6 likes