Start by marking “Resurrection” as Want to Read:

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  1,582 ratings  ·  148 reviews
Five thousand years ago, the Kinley built a ship capable of traveling faster than light. It carried a group of scientists to a small, distant planet - a primitive place called Earth. Its mission was peaceful observation. But when the ship was destroyed, the Kinley crew found themselves stranded in ancient Egypt, participants in the pageant of life in the time of the Pharao ...more
Published June 1st 2001 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about Resurrection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Resurrection

Sara Meehan
It's a rare combination: sci-fi meets Egyptology.

"Resurrection" starts by introducing its heroine, Pruit Pax, as she awakens from a form of hibernation. She and her partner, Niks, are on a years-long journey from their home planet, Herrod, to Earth in search of the remains of a former expedition. Their race - humans, same as you and I - is at war with a race of true aliens, and Pruit has to find technology from that previous group of explorers so her people (the Kinley) can survive. Her arrival
Graham Storrs
This was shaping up to be a pretty good sci-fi novel - until it turned into a fantasy novel with a really disappointing ending. The premise - an alien visit to Earth many years ago is the key to saving one alien faction in a modern-day war many light-years away - was interesting, and the writing was solid. Sadly, the whole plot ended up hingeing on a magical, telepathic mind-meld and it turns out reincarnation is real - blowing away all credibility as a sci-fi story and leaving me shaking my hea ...more
Katrina Voss
This story will earn and keep your attention: One thing that annoys me about some authors is how they drone on about peripheral, irrelevant details that have nothing to do with the story. With such authors you have this vague sense that they're just showing off -- "Oh, look at how many adjectives I know! Look how I just made a cool metaphor!" and you're tempted to skip ahead but you're not sure if you might be missing something important. Not this author! There are beautiful metaphors and engagi ...more
Lee Browman
I forget how I got recommend this book (maybe Goodreads?), but after some hard core classics, felt it was time to have some mental candy floss, and enjoy some pulp sci-fi.

The basic story of this book was very good, and the way that it fed back into Earth's history was nice. In many ways the history part was used like Dan Brown - take factoids that you can not dispute, but then wrap a story around them, that you know is wrong, but cannot put your finger on where it is wrong.

Never the less, it was
John Bechill
Cold picked this book and was quiet surprised. I liked the descriptions of the two protagonists. She made them very alien and very alien to each other. The way they live and understand the world conflicts at a fundamental level. She sets up a really interesting point of view conflict. Since neither party is inherently evil, she makes you feel empathetic to both parties.

The descriptions of how she envisions future technology is creative. I always enjoy writers who have interesting takes on how t
Nathan Douglas
Good. Not as good as sausage and cheese. Felt a bit amateurish, like the author had to spell out what people were feeling instead of letting the story and characters speak for themselves.
Nina Bradley
I did think the writing in Resurrection was amateurish and didn't flow smoothly. Ordinarily that would completely turn me off to a book, but I actually enjoyed this story quite a lot. I have a difficult time with sci-fi that introduces entire new species and cultures without having a frame of reference to place them in, so having much of the action occur on Earth kept me interested. Although I am not an "ancient alien" believer, I did enjoy the way the author incorporated some of those myths int ...more
Dan
Deeply subpar. I picked up this book on a whim, having found it on the top-rated in SF list on Amazon. If I had glanced at the full spectrum of reviews and ratings, I would have avoided it and saved some time.

The prose is the most obvious issue. Dayton is simply not a particularly proficient writer. If she has a love of the language - and it is not clear from this novel that she does - that love does not translate into any actual talent.

Characterization is by and large also very flawed, although
Thomas Heath

If you're at all familiar with the work on an ancient Egypt by John Anthony West, you're likely to enjoy this work of speculative fiction as much as I did.

Present-tense science fiction like you'll find in Ressurection seems like a greater writing challenge than futuristic, far-out fare such as Dune or Star Wars, but I'd put this title in that league. I enjoyed the characters and their relationships, and the believable technologies from other worlds kept the story rolling along without feeling
Maggie Boyd
This book is an interesting mix of sci-fi fantasy and historical thriller. It starts with Pruit, a Kinley women, on her home planet of Herrod, being given the assignment of going to Earth and retrieving 5,000 year old technology. The Herrodians had sent an expedition in their greatest ship there, then been attacked with the technology completely lost in the devastation. Their enemies are preparing to attack again and that technology is their only hope.

It will take Pruitt and her partner Nix 15
James Kemp
I really enjoyed this story, it was a mix of classic science fiction, ancient history and a modern thriller. I'm not an expert on the Egyptology, but what there was seemed to work very well for me as a story and was plausible. It managed to avoid being too Erich von Däniken in its approach, and the way that the locals never grasped the technology was completely believable.

Another aspect that I liked was the interplay between the metal poor and biotech rich Kinley (humans from a planet 8 light y
V. Shipp
Good Sunday Afternoon Read

While the story line was very good, there were more than a few places where character lines and intersections could have been fleshed out just a little more for depth between the Lucien and Kinley races and worlds. I would have liked to have been introduced to a Lucien family like the author dug into the Kinley families described.

This author has presented the most unique explanation of how the great pyramid was built, why, and by whom. In the scope of the plot lines an
Jen Randolph
Mar 19, 2014 Jen Randolph rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Jen by: Amazon
Shelves: top-shelf
David Rasner

Resurrection

by Arwen Elys Dayton (Goodreads Author)

3.43 · rating details · 100 ratings · 28 reviews

2600 B.C....The first ship built by the Kinley race capable of travelling faster than the speed of light, the Champion is sent to explore a tiny blue planet called Earth. But the Champion's first mission would also be its last....

Present Day...The Kinley race is nearly extinct, wiped out by a warlike race called the Lucien. Their only hope for survival lies in the technolo...
Rob
I really enjoyed this one. The author did an excellent job of character development, plotting and maintaining and escalation of conflict that keeps the reader wanting more right to the very end. A few editing errors were found, but for an independently published book, it was very well done. Definitely recommended.
Daniel
This is a science fiction tale that brings an interplanetary conflict onto Earth's doorstep--circa 2600 BC. I liked how author Dayton connected alien doings with early human history, and how she brought this conflict into the present day. If she publishes more fiction--especially space opera--I will read it.
Jamie Marvin
This book has a great flow to it. I thoroughly enjoyed Dayton's theory of past lives and how the Egyptian pyramids were constructed from an alien survey team. I actually sort of believe her theories might be more fact than fiction. Great Sci-Fi!!
Debbi
I really enjoyed the beginning of this book. The ending fell flat: too neatly wrapped up and a bit forced. Some bits of the storyline were never well explained. I just wish there was a bit more to the whole book!
David
Fun to read. A kinda-pulpy sci fi novel (which is always a good thing). Though I don't believe in Ancient Aliens I really enjoy books about them, it seems. :-) And I'm a sucker for most anything set in ancient Egypt.
Tom Loock
I really enjoyed Resurrection, which I bought on a whim for 1. It is Arwen Elys Dayton's first book and it shows, but I'm certain her next one – I would very much like to read a sequel – will be (even) better.

Ignoring all the points other readers have raised, my main complaint is that it turned more and more from a SF novel into a thriller towards the end.
Rachel
My theme this year seems to be "Reading Books Because I Like the Title". I had never heard of this book, but I was perusing Amazon Kindle Owner's Lending Library, and this one came up. The name caught my eye, and the synopsis sounded interesting. I like a book that grabs me from the get-go, and this book did it for me. I liked it from beginning to finish, and I only wish that it was part of a planned series, but I could not find any evidence online that that was the case. I am glad that it wrapp ...more
Justin
I got this book on a whim. It was recommended by amazon.com due to something I purchased and/or put into my wishlist. I went into it thinking if nothing else it was cheap and I like Sci-Fi, and Ancient Egyptian myth. I was pleasantly surprised. In fact, I quite like the story.

It follows three civilizations:

The Kinley: Who are on the brink of annihilation. They were nuclear attacked by another world and are about to be attacked again. They have a technology heavily based in biology as they do not
Randy
It took quite a while but I finally mustered the remaining attention I had and decided to finish Resurrection a few days ago, and I'm very glad I did since it turned out to be a very rewarded read.

Resurrection is just a good story, it kept my attention once I actually made an effort to finish it and I didn't want to let up on it at all on occasion. I was drawn to the characters more half way through the book since most of the ground work had been done in the beginning of the novel.

Charlie Kravetz
Mar 11, 2013 Charlie Kravetz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history and science fiction buffs alike.
This review is for the Kindle edition ebook.

A fast moving, exciting adventure about the search for ancient technology to save a planet.

The planet of the Kinley sends a crew to find the ancient technology that could save their world. The planet of Lucien will do everything their crew can to stop the Kinley from getting that technology. It is up to these two crews, far from home, to find a way to save their own planet. The ancient technology is on earth, a planet far from home about which neither
Tori
Didn't really know what to expect when I started reading this. I enjoy sci fi and think it does bring something new to the genre.

The concept centers on an idea that the ancient Egyptian pyramids originated from alien beings discovering Earth, claiming themselves Gods, (or rather going along with the Egyptian people thinking they were already) and therefore being given ruling power to build the pyramid structures for their own purposes.

A very cool idea. One I'm sure has been suggested by one of
Alex
"Resurrection" by Arwen Elys Dayton is a scifi ROMANCE novel. I don't think I've ever read one of those before. It was a good read. It was a little steamy in places. Not too bad but not something I'd like kids reading. You know... like a romance novel.

The SciFi story: after a terrible war the planet of Kinley is dying. Their only chance is to find the technology of FTL, a Faster Than Light drive, that was lost long ago. Centuries earlier a scientific expedition had been sent to Earth, but the te
Emmanuelle
If I'd read this book instead of listening to it, I don't think I would have been able to read it all the way through. It was a little confusing to follow the different characters and timelines and time periods. Needless to say however, by the end, everything tied in together very nicely.

I wouldn't say this is the best book I've read, but it certainly wasn't the worse. It's a good listen and will keep you intrigued, as long as you give it enough time to understand the formatting of the time/cha
Michael Long
Pruit is a young female soldier who must leave her world of covered domes to travel to Earth in hopes of recovering a long lost starship technology left by her people during an expedition. Her people is on the brink of extinction, hunted and killed by a race on a neighbouring planet, and they have lost much of the technology they used to possess.

This book really drew me in and I wanted to see where it would go. I cared a lot about the main character Pruit, and there were several characters I jus
Jeff Miller
I picked this up as on of Amazon's daily deals.

As a story it was quite fun involving ancient Egypt, aliens, a form of alien Janissaries, threat of alien war and a span of 5,000 years. Despite the span of time the story flows quite nicely as you get use to the transitions that end up merging in a way. Aliens and ancient Egypt has been done before and often quite badly - Stargate being one of the exemptions. This one has a different twist to it.

This was mostly enjoyable storytelling with minimal d
Kat
I really enjoyed this combination of historical fiction and science-fiction. I felt the characters were generally well developed and interesting. The spiritual component may be off putting to some of the typical sci-fi audience, but I found it added a layer of complexity that was thought provoking. overall, a well written book with a compelling plot and believable personalities.
  • Against the Light
  • Damocles
  • MetaGame
  • The Truth (Area 51, #7)
  • Reach for Tomorrow
  • The Three Little Aliens and the Big Bad Robot
  • Seas of Venus (Seas of Venus, #1-2)
  • Cyberdrome
  • The Gift
  • Breakdown
  • Far Orbit: Speculative Space Adventures
  • Whatever Gods May Be
  • The Enemy of My Enemy  (Brainrush, #2)
Arwen Elys Dayton is hard at work on the SEEKER series, a grand YA story for Random House.

Arwen began her career as a teenage staff writer at a foundation that produced Peabody Award-winning educational shows for PBS. Soon afterward, she began writing screenplays and novels, including Sovereign’s Hold and Resurrection, the #1 Amazon bestseller in Sci-Fi in both the US and the UK.

She spends months
More about Arwen Elys Dayton...
Seeker (Seeker, #1) Traveler (Seeker, #2) Die Clans der Seeker (1). Die Stunde des Fuchses SEEKER 2

“Yea for we are the conquerors And all that is lies before us A black domain of stars And we the brightest lights within it” 3 likes
“hibernation. Their usual stint was a single day or less, but five-days” 0 likes