Pandora

Pandora (Rutshire Chronicles #7)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  908 ratings  ·  27 reviews
No picture ever came more beautiful than Raphael's Pandora. Discovered by a dashing young lieutenant, Raymond Kelvedon in a Normandy Chateau in 1944, she had cast her spell over his family - all artists and dealers - for fifty years. Hanging in a turret of their lovely Cotswold house, Pandora witnessed Raymond's tempestuous wife Galena both entertaining a string of lovers,...more
Paperback
Published May 7th 2007 by Corgi (first published 2002)

Dangermousie
Ahh, good old Jilly Cooper and her delightful thick volumes of misbehaving upper class Brits. This was the last of her Chronicles series that I haven't read yet, and what a delight it was. Pandora revolves around the artistic and dysfunctional Belvedon family. There is the father - the charming, generous, and oddly put-upon Raymond, the paterfamilias, who runs a famous art gallery. There are the mothers - the first wife Galina, as unsuitable a wife and mother as she was a genius painter, and the...more
Kel Sta
Only Jilly Cooper writes a good Jilly Cooper. Her books are peopled with rich casts of multi-faceted characters whose lives intersect to varying degrees. To make her characters more interesting (and the storylines more lively), they are often preoccupied with sex, rarely want for money in the long term, and are usually really good at one thing or another (sometimes more than one thing), as well as being exceptionally good-looking. Nevertheless, the characters retain their realism: they are moody...more
Dark-Draco
This was one of the Rutshire Chronicles that I hadn't read and enjoyed it as much as the rest. It begins during the 2nd World War, where Raymond Belvedon is reeling after hearing of the death of his older brother. He enters a burning chateau and finds an exquisite painting of Pandora and the Seven Deadly Sins, which he steals. After the war, he meets a young artist, Maria, and marries her, but she is continuly unfaithful and tests his great patience. He also takes on a young apprentice, David, w...more
Amanda Patterson
All those Riders, Rivals & Polo fans out there will be pleased to know that Jilly Cooper is getting back into the groove with “Pandora”. I was ready to dismiss this book on the mediocrity of ‘Appassionata’ and the sheer awfulness of ‘Score’.

However, in ‘Pandora’, Ms Cooper takes us on a thrilling roller-coaster ride into the jet-set art world of Raymond Belvedon. Raymond stole a painting of Pandora by Raphael from a chateau in France when he was a subaltern in World War 2. The plot follows t...more
Abby Jean
better than the last two in the series, by far. good for baths and buses.
Joey
I do not know how to classify this book. But it is such a page-turner. I could not put in down after Part 2.
All the characters are so distinguished. It might be confusing at first and latter you will find each of them memorable.
I wish I were a great painter and my boyfriend will be as gorgeous and talented as the artists in the story.
I hope a sequel will come up.
Becky
I love Jilly Cooper. I was so excited to read this and I wasn't disappointed. Once again she delivers an array of interesting characters, some that Jilly fans are already fans of!
The story involving art, makes for an interesting plot and the ending is one that leaves you happy!
Milly
What a disappointment, holy hell. I had read Wicked! and it was hilarious, but I'm only a 100 pages into Pandora and I already want to drown myself. Can't continue. This novel is recommended for people who like absurd, nonsensical bullshit dramas.
Pilbara Girl
Took awhile to get into this one and warm to some of the characters, but about the time that Emerald made herself known to her family was when it started to get interesting to me.

Not as good as the Rutshire Chronicles - still a good read though.
This is not a profound work of quickening insight, however, it's ridiculously enjoyable and a real slice of "England", the one that only exists in novels and films. Perfect for the beach and absurdly entertaining!
Rachel Kidd
I'd definately got over my Jilly Cooper phase by the time I'd read this book. It was the last one I ever read. Maybe I'll get back into her work again one day though.
Deeze
Although my least favorite book, still a read I would whole heartedly reccomend. Just took me slightly longer to get into the story with this one.
Steff
One of my favourite JCs...a bit darker and less 'rompy' than the others but a cracking story and obviously a huge amount of research done.
Karah Russell
i loved this book. the twists and turns it tkes you down keeps you in suspence right until the end. a true author
Tasneem
Oooo... Cooper is a star. I loved this book. The people are so bad, that you can't help but love them.
Abi Fuller-gardener
The only one of her books I haven't read more than once. Hard to read. Might attempt it again soon.
Lili
I'm not particularly fond of some of the content of Jilly Cooper's novels but she writes a good story.
Joanne
I am really enjoying these characters and their stories. Even if I have read them a little out of order :)
Lisa Miller
Hours and hours to get through this one ... Kids kept disturbingly me. Great characters and read!
Amanda
Tight plotting, memorable characters. Definitely one of Cooper's finer offerings.
Bambin
Possible my favourite Jilly Cooper book ever, if that's possible because I love them all.
Ann
Jilly is back on form really great read. Wonderful characters. Nice twist
Heather
When I started reading it I realized that I had read it before
Samantha Cutts
Really couldn't get into this one and I love all of her other books.
Joint best Jilly Cooper book ever (alongside Wicked).
Ada-oh-bee
May 30, 2013 Ada-oh-bee marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jilly-cooper
One of the best books I have ever read!
Lori
Such a great english holiday read!
Roxie
  • Promises, Promises
  • The Beachcomber
  • The Mallen Girl
  • Head Over Heels in the Dales
Jilly Cooper, OBE (born February 21, 1937) is an English author. She started her career as a journalist and wrote numerous works of non-fiction before writing several romance novels, the first of which appeared in 1975. She is most famous for writing the six blockbuster novels the Rutshire Chronicles.
More about Jilly Cooper...
Riders (Rutshire Chronicles, #1) Rivals (Rutshire Chronicles #2) Polo (Rutshire Chronicles #3) The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous (Rutshire Chronicles, #4) Wicked! (Rutshire Chronicles #8)