Start by marking “Missile Gap” as Want to Read:
Missile Gap

Missile Gap

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  612 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
It's 1976 again. Abba are on the charts, the Cold War is in full swing -- and the Earth is flat. It's been flat ever since the eve of the Cuban war of 1962; and the constellations overhead are all wrong. Beyond the Boreal ocean, strange new continents loom above tropical seas, offering a new start to colonists like newly-weds Maddy and Bob, and the hope of further glory to ...more
Published January 1st 2007 by Subterranean Press (first published December 31st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Missile Gap, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Missile Gap

Accelerando by Charles StrossThe First Pillar by Roy HuffSingularity Sky by Charles StrossThe Atrocity Archives by Charles StrossSaturn's Children by Charles Stross
Swancon 2013 Reading List
88th out of 93 books — 7 voters
The Alchemist by Paolo BacigalupiThe Executioness by Tobias S. BuckellAmityville Horrible by Kelley ArmstrongBrazen by Kelley ArmstrongHidden by Kelley Armstrong
Best Subterranean Press Books
9th out of 16 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Oscar
’Brecha nuclear’ es una recopilación que la editorial Grupo AJEC compiló especialmente para el mercado español. Se trata tres relatos de ciencia ficción que mezclan sabiamente la ucronía con el hard y ciertos toques lovecraftianos, todo ello impregnado de una fina ironía. Esta mezcla puede parecer arriesgada, y hasta cierto punto absurda, pero Stross sale airoso al no explicar los fenómenos hasta la saciedad, sino dándolos por hechos, para de esta manera centrarse en las historias.

Estos son los
Hedoga
Feb 25, 2016 Hedoga rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Madre mía ... si tomo distancia, a lo mejor hasta soy capaz de ver que efectivamente debajo de todo hay una historia de ficcgión, pero, ¡demonios! me ha costado 7 días leerlo y no es ná ...

Mucho Premio Locus, pero os aseguro que me ha parecido un tostón ... y al final, encima, me he quedado con cara de ¿ cómo ... ? ¿ que ya ... ? ¿ no hay más ... ? ¡ p'os vaya !
Veeral
My second novella this year after Connie Willis's Fire Watch (which was just above average kind of a read).

This novella served as an introduction to Charles Stross's works to me and I think it was not a bad place to start. The amount of detail Stross crammed into this less than 100 pages novella was really amazing. With characters like Yuri Gagarin and Carl Sagan, Stross successfully managed to held my attention throughout. And the illustrations were funny too.

The staggering dimensions of the f
Nikola Tasev
Apr 08, 2010 Nikola Tasev rated it it was amazing
Wow, just wow. I read it in one sitting. It's not very long, and I admit, it has some 'not as interesting as the rest' parts, but the style was clever, and the ending was the the greatest Grand Finale I've read in some time.
Someone, or something, has moved the whole surface of the Earth and placed it on a solar-system-sized disk. Is this a superinteligent race experiment, or a simulation? What are the implications?
Humanity is deprived of spaceflight, but given endless territory to explore and c
Xan
Jan 16, 2016 Xan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mundo Anillo + Mundodisco + 4 cervezas + 4 chupitos whisky + unos cuantos cigarrillos aromáticos + noche de cine clásico: Dr Strangelove + Cuando ruge la Marabunta + La invasión de los ultracuerpos = Brecha de Misiles

Se queda corta, demasiados personajes y demasiadas tramas para tan pocas páginas.
Michele
Apr 22, 2014 Michele rated it liked it
This was a frustrating story because it could be a great novel and instead it just kept almost being great. I kept getting lost which seemed completely unnecessary. There were great ideas but 1) a novel was probably called for to do the ideas justice, and 2) great ideas tank if the writing and editing confuse the reader.

Stross wrote a blurb at the end in his "Wireless" collection where he expressed his discomfort at far future sci-fi writing. It really is too bad he feels that discomfort, becaus
John
May 22, 2009 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy, 2009, scottish
Another excellent Stross riff on the cold war-era and super beings, this one dark and intensely disturbing. To describe too much of the story would be to ruin the experience of having it unfold for you over the brief arc of this novella, but it was like no other science fiction (other than Stross) that I've read, despite some vague reminisences of Robert Charles Wilson's "Protocols of Consumption" and the creepy Twilight Zone feeling I was left with at the end (and it's an awesome ending).
Norman Cook
Jul 07, 2014 Norman Cook rated it really liked it
This is a thoughtful novella that presents some incredibly gonzo ideas. The alternate history includes characters such as Carl Sagan and Yuri Gagarin set in a 1970s cold war, with the added twist of aliens and their mind-boggling cosmic constructions. The story is told in a series of episodic slices featuring a fairly large cast of characters. If I had a suggestion for improvement, it would be for Stross to expand the story so that we could get a fuller picture of each character. The story also ...more
T4ncr3d1
Jan 29, 2011 T4ncr3d1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, inglesi
Sono ben lieto di andare contro tendenza, nel ritenere questo lungo racconto (o breve romanzo) un piccolo gioiello della narrativa sci-fi.
I pochi commenti che si trovano sono tutti negativi: la trama è confusionaria, si dice, affollata di troppe idee, e il finale è brutto e inutile.
Io non condivido né la prima né la seconda delle affermazioni.
Innanzitutto, la grande varietà di idee non è affatto un punto debole, anzi. Ciò che risulta assolutamente originale è proprio la contaminazione di generi
Giovanni Dall'Orto
Questo (non-)racconto lungo è un pastone senza capo né coda, scritto in modo straordinario.
Si tratta d'uno scritto "postmoderno", uno di quelli, cioè, in cui l'autore non scrive per il lettore, ma per se stesso, e per dimostrare quanto è bravo sia a scrivere, sia a dominare le convenzioni e i generi letterari.

In quanto scrittore postmoderno, l'autore non è capace di trovare alcun senso nell'atto di scrivere, e infatti senso questo scritto non ne ha. Si tratta di un centone nel quale convivono p
La Stamberga dei Lettori
May 02, 2011 La Stamberga dei Lettori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tancredi

Io non condivido né la prima né la seconda delle affermazioni.

Krešimir Mecing
Sep 30, 2015 Krešimir Mecing rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf
Prva Strossova priča koju sam pročitao i iskreno se nadam da ovdje ne vrijedi ona "po jutru se dan poznaje". Neuvjerljiva i nekonkretna priča u kojoj je lajtmotiv tajnovitost i misterij no čitatelj ne naiđe na objašnjenje ili nekakvo veliko otkriće. Taman kad priča počne izgledati zanimljivo - kraj - i to takav da sam listao prema pocetku da vidim što je sad ovo i jesam li slučajno preskočio dio. Mnoštvo likova od kojih se možda dva ističu nekakvom zanimljivom pozadinom. Sve u svemu nedojmljivo ...more
rafolas
Corto pero intenso relato de Ciencia Ficción que quizá flaquea con un final apresurado que deja muchas cosas en el aire. Un final más desarrollado con más profundidad en los hechos o con una mejor conclusión de los arcos argumentales abiertos y dejados al desarrollo por parte del lector a mi parecer habrían mejorado mucho la lectura. Pese a todo, recomendable
G33z3r
This novella was originally written for an anthology, One Million A.D., whose theme was stories set more than a million years in the future. Stross essentially punts on that, instead creating a replica of the past (60's and 70's) that's been transported and/or replicated in that deep future. Within that context, he creates a mystery for an alternate history mankind of the half-century ago. It's entertaining and thoughtful, as I usually find Stross, following three barely-related storylines invol ...more
Malapata
Jan 11, 2016 Malapata rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una premisa interesante y una narración entretenida. Me ha tenido enganchada durante sus escasas cien páginas. Lo único que le echo en cara es su duración, qué estupenda novela (larga) podría haber sido si hubiera desarrollado más sus tramas.
Benjamin Farlow
Jul 15, 2015 Benjamin Farlow rated it really liked it
At first feels like a re-imagining of 'Spin,' quickly reveals itself to be something a bit less benign. A good evening's read.

My favorite line in the book: "Teleologists being bad neighbors, so to speak."

Mylesgorton
Sep 07, 2014 Mylesgorton rated it really liked it
interesting story evoking the cold war from a different angle. really interesting, but not perhaps the best written story I've ever read. still worth reading - a quick read!
Matthew
Jul 03, 2015 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Amazing, like colder war i was left hungry for more.
Voss
Dec 17, 2014 Voss rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sciapo insulso banalotto
Adam
Aug 26, 2008 Adam rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: members of the flat earth society
This creepy WTF alternative history(but not really..so there is hint)treads similiar ground to Stross's "Colder War" with another take on the cold war, but this one is very different and filled with a wider sense of wonder and dread also. Hints of Invasion of Body Snatchers, George R.R. Martin's Sandkings, and Kafka. Plus it has Carl Sagan as a Character.P.S. get it from a library it is expensive..or find the cheaper Gardner Dozois edited collection it is in.
Alfonso Junquera perez
Tres relatos interesantes de ciencia ficción el primero y mas bien basados en los Mitos de Cthulhu los otros dos (sobre todo el primero) y bien escritos aunque, como casi todo lo escrito por Stross, nada complaciente con el lector que, por lo menos en mi caso, queda con mal cuerpo al final de la lectura y desde luego muy pensativo.

Libro muy recomendable pero no apto para todos los paladares.
John Davis
Jan 01, 2016 John Davis rated it did not like it
Shelves: scifi
Read as part of the anthology Wireless. Probably my least favorite story in that collection; too many plot threads diverging simultaneously. There were some neat bits (I do love ekranoplanes), but the futurepast flatworld premise didn't do much for me. Overall I felt A Colder War was a much tighter, more polished effort along similar "Cold War but not" lines.
Johansolo
Feb 09, 2013 Johansolo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cf
Muy entretenidos los tres relatos.

Brecha de misiles es demasiado esquemática, hubiera necesitado un desarrollo mejor.

Una guerra más fría muy absorbente y la mezcla de guerra fría con las otras cosas es bastante interesante.

En la casa de los locos me ha gustado mucho, curioso mundo donde la magia cthuloidea son matemáticas aplicadas.
Joshtafari
Nov 08, 2010 Joshtafari rated it it was amazing
Kind of a melting pot for all of SF's tropes, from alternate history to Big Dumb Objects to Bug Eyed Monsters to post-apocalyptic worlds and far future galactic engineering. I was left with a lot of questions, but I think that's kind of the point. I wouldn't necessarily complain if Stross revisited this world, but I think I'm happier with the more nebulous finish.
M
Dec 17, 2011 M rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The premise is very interesting, and I like how Stross uses real historical figures like Gagarin and Sagan. The Gagarin part also feels like Stross is riffing on Star Trek, which is amusing. The ending is interesting; I'm not sure if I like it or not, but unlike some other works I've encountered I think this adds to the story rather than detracting from it.
Franco Vite
Un bel romanzo breve - un bel racconto lungo - questo di Stross. Non avevo mai letto nulla di questo autore, e in questa storia dimostra una fantasia veramente ricca, rigogliosa direi.
Ovvio che in poco più di 100 pagine non si può approfondire tutto come vorremmo noi lettori, ma onestamente l'equilibrio del racconto regge benissimo, e il finale merita.
Claudia
Mar 07, 2016 Claudia rated it liked it
An interesting novella, but I can't say it's really stayed in my mind very much.

It's more serious than much of Charlie's stuff, which may be why. There are some arresting images, but not much story. It's actually an excellent example of a good match between idea and form; this length was just about right.
Brennan Griffin
Jan 03, 2011 Brennan Griffin rated it really liked it
Jeremy Preacher
Mar 02, 2011 Jeremy Preacher rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
For a one-off novella, this was a fun trip. Combining the politics of the cold war era with the idea that humans are far, far from the most advanced life forms in the galaxy - it's grim, but it's fascinating. Glad to see it at the library.
Peter
May 13, 2014 Peter rated it really liked it
The premise alone is worth reading this book. I pick this up to sample Stross's writing. If this is an accurate indication of his writing, more books of his will follow.
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. SF Short Story [s] 7 52 Apr 01, 2016 02:38PM
  • The Jazz
  • Vacuum Flowers
  • Criptonomicón III: El código Aretusa
  • Elvissey
  • The Stone Canal (The Fall Revolution, #2)
  • White Light
  • Alien Blood: Psion / Catspaw (Cat, #1-2)
  • Fools
  • Cyberabad Days
  • Memory Wire
Charles David George "Charlie" Stross is a writer based in Edinburgh, Scotland. His works range from science fiction and Lovecraftian horror to fantasy.

Stross is sometimes regarded as being part of a new generation of British science fiction writers who specialise in hard science fiction and space opera. His contemporaries include Alastair Reynolds, Ken MacLeod, Liz Williams and Richard Morgan.

SF
More about Charles Stross...